Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OPEN BETA .. only if you PAY

MischiffMischiff Member Posts: 169

That's right,

I've been following Fallen Eath for years. Many times I thought, this game will never come out, it doesn't seem like they are even working on it .... whats taking them so long etc etc .. even to the point i stopped looking for info on it. Then it actually is going to be released and they are having an OPEN BETA even .. so I go to fileplanet and find out that you can only join the open beta 2 ways, buy a pre release or pay to belong to fileplanet ...

Fallen earth IMHO has treated those who have been following their game from the beginning like trash. I signed up early to their forums in hopes of getting letters now and again about the games progress and also hoping that they would draw beta people from there, but no they draw from fileplanet memebers only .. people who probably never even knew about the game until fileplanet mentioned it on their web site .. now this .. Fallen Earth might even be lucky if i give the game a look over now. Because odds are, I will just wait for Earth Rise to come out.

The moral of my story is that i feel MMO developers should think about taking care of the real fans who have taking a lot of time following their game, instead of dissing them in this manner.

Comments

• LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385

Old news...this has been done many times with many other MMO's.  Shut your whiney little face and deal with it. 

Getting into a beta is not some God given right because you are one of 50,000 people that have been following the game since who knows when. 

• downtoearthdowntoearth Member Posts: 3,558

weird they were sending out beta invites like crazy from there forum. i bet you forgot to apply it to your account not there fault

• veritas_Xveritas_X Member Posts: 393
    Originally posted by Mischiff

The moral of my story is that i feel MMO developers should think about taking care of the real fans who have taking a lot of time following their game, instead of dissing them in this manner.

'Real fans' of Fallen Earth have been beta testing the game for the past year or so.  Doesn't seem like you tried very hard to follow it, as every one of my friends that applied to beta test was accepted.  Boohoo on the open beta, they're supposed to be stress tests anyway, not free previews for people that are too cheap to pick up the game. 

• wickedzenwickedzen Member Posts: 1

That's interesting.  I'm not a FilePlanet subscriber and I haven't pre-ordered the game, and I got a beta invite.

That's pretty much all I'm allowed to say on the subject, though. :)

• MischiffMischiff Member Posts: 169

you guys are so funny so far, sept one, he wasnt so bad, anyways, im not pre ordering any more games after AOC and Tabula Rasa, .. im done giving out my money to games that cant offer a free open beta or a weeks worth of free play to see if i like it.

if you people dont mind throwing your money away thats ok, i work hard for mine.  and after i heard they where only letting people from file planet do the beta's i did stop following it. now they do this, i dont care if i dont get to play it,... i still wont throw my money away on a game i cant try for free ever again.

• veritas_Xveritas_X Member Posts: 393

I don't how long you've been playing mmorpg's, but newly released games don't offer free trials.  Those usually come out months, if not a year, after launch when the hype has died down and the developers / marketers are looking for ways to bring their game back in the spotlight.

To be honest, the FE team doesn't really care if you aren't going to play without a free trial, lmao.  Plenty of people will.

• aaradunaaradun Member Posts: 91

you guys are so funny so far, sept one, he wasnt so bad, anyways, im not pre ordering any more games after AOC and Tabula Rasa, .. im done giving out my money to games that cant offer a free open beta or a weeks worth of free play to see if i like it.
    if you people dont mind throwing your money away thats ok, i work hard for mine.  and after i heard they where only letting people from file planet do the beta's i did stop following it. now they do this, i dont care if i dont get to play it,... i still wont throw my money away on a game i cant try for free ever again.

Guess you won't be playing MMO for a LONG LONG LONG time. When a MMO is at the point they have to give free weeks it means they are in decline or have been at it for a long while.

And for AOC and Tabula Rasa if you had spent the 15$ to buy a subscription for fileplanet for a year you' have saved over 100$. It's really your fault in the end.

• MischiffMischiff Member Posts: 169

You keep MISSING THE POINT !

and ive been playing a long time, way before WOW came out or was even thought of ...

the POINT IS .. most MMO's have always offered a FREE OPEN BETA   duh... thats the point.

Fallen Earth isnt, you only get in if u pre order the game or if u pay to belong to openplanet, either way u r paying !

the point ..

• hooptyhoopty Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by veritas_X

I don't how long you've been playing mmorpg's, but newly released games don't offer free trials.  Those usually come out months, if not a year, after launch when the hype has died down and the developers / marketers are looking for ways to bring their game back in the spotlight.
    To be honest, the FE team doesn't really care if you aren't going to play without a free trial, lmao.  Plenty of people will.

They (More than one Company) offer pay to play beta instead..In which i refuse to do anyways..Further more, it would be tough to get any Pay to play game going..With all the Free Mmo games poping out like rabbits..They better hope like hell that there game is up to par for a pay to play game or else it will fade into Free to play real fast..

Some people rob you at gun point..Others will rob you at "Ball Point Pen"

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758

Someone posted on the FE forums that all registered users of Fileplanet will be able to download and join open beta from Monday and that the premium members and pre-orderers have simply got a head start to download over the weekend. Not sure where he got his information but it does make sense for it to be true.

• adrianemeryadrianemery Member Posts: 250

And usually when fileplanet does this they throw open the doors after 36 hours as they have plenty of keys left and nobody is taking them up.

It's happened tons of times and it's fileplanet that's doing it not Fallen Earth.

Although they were handing keys out like candy recently from their forums when you emailed them, for the past 2 months.

and ive been playing a long time, way before WOW came out or was even thought of ...
    the POINT IS .. most MMO's have always offered a FREE OPEN BETA   duh... thats the point.
    Fallen Earth isnt, you only get in if u pre order the game or if u pay to belong to openplanet, either way u r paying !

the point ..

There hasn't been a SUBSCRIPTION base MMO that offered free beta in the last two year or so. Only one that still offfer totally free betas are FREE-TO-PLAY game. And really odds are like in 99% of the other BETA keys become available to non-subscriber once all subscriber have gotten one or there's enough left and nobody eelse seems interested.

And at the end of the day, whos said OPEN BETA had to be free, where has this ever been written that OPEN beta's are free? I still remember game beta where i had to send 5$ for shipping and handling to get CD's shipped to me. OPEN beta only means really they don't select who comes in, if you get a key from whatever means your in. They are not making any selections nor are they making you sign a NDA. That's what a Open Beta is nothing more. It's not a period for you to play the game for free.

Originally posted by hoopty

Originally posted by veritas_X

They (More than one Company) offer pay to play beta instead..In which i refuse to do anyways..Further more, it would be tough to get any Pay to play game going..With all the Free Mmo games poping out like rabbits..They better hope like hell that there game is up to par for a pay to play game or else it will fade into Free to play real fast..

Too bad most free to play game in last year with a couple exception are crap.

• hooptyhoopty Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by aaradun

Too bad most free to play game in last year with a couple exception are crap.

It has been a bad 2008 and 2009 for games..I just hope 2010 can turn the trend around..

Some people rob you at gun point..Others will rob you at "Ball Point Pen"

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by Letsinod

Shut your whiney little face and deal with it. 

That...is...just...beautiful...

• kal08kal08 Member Posts: 90

Beta costs money and even worse... it happens before game (box) sells. If they can find someone to host the game and save alot of cash, good for them.

Besides, nothing sells a game more than hype ;-)

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

I have a strong, strong dislike for Fileplanet and I hate that many MMOG developers use them for beta distribution. Half the time you have to be a paying member of Fileplanet, and the other half of the time it takes so long to download and the connection is so bad that the file gets corrupted. I don't know if that last would change if you are a paying full member of Fileplanet, but I refuse to so it's a moot point...

That being said, getting into the beta was just blind luck. I joined their forums and signed up for the beta ages ago, and lucky me, I got in many months ago. That's all it was, luck. I wasn't one who made tons of thread or even posted a lot, very little actually.

Also FYI, if you wait until the 17th to download the game I am 99.999% sure that you only have to sign up for a free Fileplanet account to gain access to it.

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• gorticgortic Member UncommonPosts: 115

the point ..

way before wow came out wow... that's a long ass time.... 4 years? Did you play UO when it first came out? If not you have no respect of mine, *drunk* hehe :D

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

the point ..

While I feel the OP is getting a little too emotional about this, he has a point that I have noticed recently too. Open betas used to be free...i.e "open". Now every game wants a pre-order before these "open" betas. Just a new trend that wasn't always the case.

BTW, both Aion and Champions Online are having similar open beta experiences, so don't single out Fallen Earth like they are especially evil please.

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

Actually, The Free Open Beta route has been long gone and dead for atleast 2 years now. Almost every subscription based MMO within the last two years has not had a true Open Beta. You have had to pre-order the game and/or had a fileplanet account and/or they handed out a limited number of keys.

The reality of the situation is that it costs afair amount of money to fork out the bandwidth give 100k+'s of people access to a 2gig+ client to download. Even more so when that 100k+ people are trying to download the game all at once.

Then on top of that you have to roll out support earily (before launch) so that they can handle all the open beta players questions and help with bug issues. Then they have to roll out extra servers to handle the extremely larger then launch load of open beta players. All of that costs money.

Back in the day when the MMO scene was new and there was not such a large interest in it. You could have a open beta and you would expect 25k-50k people to download the game and login.

• PapaB34RPapaB34R Member Posts: 300

Why would you want to play the beta when you can have the real thing later on? Beta open and closed is or atleast was always done for testing purposes, ex server stress tests and finding bugs. If you wanna find out wether a game is good or bad see reviews check for gameplay videos on youtube etc. This might still not be enough but atleast you can spot obvious flaws, other then that alot of people have "friend invites" left over after buying the game.

• brezelbrezel Member Posts: 202

i never had payed for a open beta and i never will do it. there are closed betas, in closed betas you have enough time to test anything in your favorite game, and this completly free. the difference between a closed and a open beta is minimal... and this counts often also for the so called "gold" versions.

why is it free? the developers use your machine as a free testing environment: they never could simulate this huge amount of configurations in their own studios. you get not payed for it, you give em free hardware and of course you give em your time. also if you never write one bugreport or one feedback thread in their forums they will benfit just from your participation. 

• ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783

I'll take back most everything I have said, the Fallen Earth guys are morons.

I will *never* pay a parasitic site like FilePlanet for an "open beta" - and I won't buy games from a totally unknown company without seeing them first....So I hope they got a crapload of money from FP for this because it is pissing off potential customers and will cost them box sales.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440
    Originally posted by ericbelser

I'll take back most everything I have said, the Fallen Earth guys are morons.
    I will *never* pay a parasitic site like FilePlanet for an "open beta" - and I won't buy games from a totally unknown company without seeing them first....So I hope they got a crapload of money from FP for this because it is pissing off potential customers and will cost them box sales.

Just like it cost AOC 800k box sales without a "OPEN" beta

Seriously your whole "OPEN" beta thing dosent apply to p2p games anymore only asian wow clones use those.

• ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783
    Originally posted by Gabby-air
    Just like it cost AOC 800k box sales without a "OPEN" beta
    Seriously your whole "OPEN" beta thing dosent apply to p2p games anymore only asian wow clones use those.

Try again, WAR had an open beta. LotRO had an open beta..so have many other fairly recent launches. So try the "only asian clones" bs someplace else. (Couldn't care less if 800k lemmings bought AoC sight-unseen, I knew it was going to suck on ice without the beta to tell me so.) 

I'm also not saying they will fail because of it or anything of the sort...but they will lose "some" early box sales if they don't open it up and they *have* pissed off some of their potential customers. I'll leave it up to them if the payment they got from FP makes up for it in their minds.

Given how much difference early word of mouth makes, especially for smaller indy games like FE,  I think it was a massively bad call on their part.