Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NCsoft bans EU countries from AION EU. UPDATED.

Comments

• thorwoodthorwood Member Posts: 485

Most game companies have bizarre defaults for what servers you play on.

You should be able to play on the server with the language of your choice and the shortest ping times.

As an Australian, I find that too many games default to a European server (if it exists) rather than a US server.  However, my ping time for US is usually a little under 200 mS for US west coast, but as high as 300 mS for Europe.

If I chose an English speaking server, the game should be recommending the server with best ping time to give a more enjoyable  game experience.

• inkvizitorisinkvizitoris Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by thexrated

Originally posted by inkvizitoris

Is there any proof of this?
    If it is, and considering that Lithuania does not even have a border with Russia, I think people who work at NCsoft do need a geography lesson. The country is a member of both NATO and European Union

I cant show you any proof of this, couse all proof are on lithuanian language. and my english sucks to translate it.

But i do know, that our game media ppl is gonna do some fight to get back AION to our coutry.... it's really sad.

And we feel really discriminated.

Well, you do not have to provide translations. Links would be good enough.

http://www.games.lt/g/news.news_full/18379

• PapaB34RPapaB34R Member Posts: 300

Is there any proof of this?
    If it is, and considering that Lithuania does not even have a border with Russia, I think people who work at NCsoft do need a geography lesson. The country is a member of both NATO and European Union

I cant show you any proof of this, couse all proof are on lithuanian language. and my english sucks to translate it.

But i do know, that our game media ppl is gonna do some fight to get back AION to our coutry.... it's really sad.

And we feel really discriminated.

Well, you do not have to provide translations. Links would be good enough.

http://www.games.lt/g/news.news_full/18379

translation=take link, google it, translate it

• Ex0dUs101Ex0dUs101 Member UncommonPosts: 273

removed

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

If this is true, there is one other option of course, just don't play Aion.

Not the end of the world if you can't play a particular MMORPG, just an inconvenience.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Zarobien

Geographically: Lithuania is not in center of europe. Lithuania is in eastern europe. When looking from center of europe you see that theres poland and then little country behind poland that with russian military base in middle of it! (Kalingrad)
    Liguisticly: Lithuania is not in europe at all. Lithuanians have their own language and russian as second language and polish as 3rd language. Finding and english speaker from this country is less likely than finding one in japan.
    If you are part of the minority that speaks english. I recomend you put your nationalistic bullshit aside and mark yourself as german or english. (I been english, german, swedish...)

you really know this is bullshit

• adrianemeryadrianemery Member Posts: 250

If NC doesn't region lock it, I see much sales from Amazon .co.uk or .de as they ship all over europe.

If NC do region lock it the I see a lot of proxy services being used as well.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by PapaB34R

Banning Lithunian players from EU servers and enforcing people to play on russian servers is just wrong. Imagine for ex US players in Texas being forced to play with Mexicans cause Texas is closer to Mexico then New York, it doesnt make any sense whatsoever. Texas is part of US and they should play on US servers, the same should be applied to Lithuania, its part of EU so they should play on EU servers as easy as that

Good comparision. It totaly sucks, after what the russians did during 50 year occupation it is very stupid of NC soft.

The baltic states are as much a part of EU as England and Spain. If I (Swedish) would have to play on a Russian server I would be upset too.

EU is EU, not Russia.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Geographically: Lithuania is not in center of europe. Lithuania is in eastern europe. When looking from center of europe you see that theres poland and then little country behind poland that with russian military base in middle of it! (Kalingrad)
    Liguisticly: Lithuania is not in europe at all. Lithuanians have their own language and russian as second language and polish as 3rd language. Finding and english speaker from this country is less likely than finding one in japan.
    If you are part of the minority that speaks english. I recomend you put your nationalistic bullshit aside and mark yourself as german or english. (I been english, german, swedish...)

Funny thing to mention, I have met exactly 57 people from Lithuania and 54 of them spoke english very well. It was a large group that came to the US and they visted the Zoo I worked at and we gave there group a behind the scenes tour of the facilities etc.

I have met 27 people from japan, 13 spoke english. These also came to our Zoo to discuss breeding panda's in captivity.

It's like a digital Iron Curtain is falling over Europe.

NCSoft may have broken EU law here what with the open market etc and could be liable to a hefty fine from the European commission.

If Lithuania has limitations/restrictions placed on a product that is freely avaliable in the rest of the EU then that is a breech od the treaty of Rome.

So I geuss all the Eastern europeans who feel stringly about this write to your MEP and the European commission.

• justazxxjustazxx Member Posts: 2

and lithuania is geographical center of europe .......OMG

• Haggis13Haggis13 Member Posts: 117

All three your statements are untrue. (1) Geographically, Lithuania is not not the center of Europe. That is to say that there are accounts that it is, but there are also plenty of accounts that say that it is not. (2) Linguistically, Lithuanians have an above average level of spoken English, whereas the Japanese are generally less apt at it. (3) Lithuanian is a European language. To say Lithuania is linguistically not part of Europe because they speak a European language is contradictory.

Lithuanian people SHOULD on those grounds primarily have access to the European servers rather than the Russian ones.

• justazxxjustazxx Member Posts: 2

i am lithuanian and i know better if i say that lithuania is geographical center of europe but it also said that its eastern europe its so becouse part of russia is in europe but they dont count like eastern europeans u understand ?

• Spaceweed10Spaceweed10 Member Posts: 625
    Originally posted by Leucrotta

Originally posted by Lwolf

why cant russians play AION...

Because russia gets their own publisher. Aion will be released in russia but not by NCSoft

That is just awesome news - shame AoC didn't follow suit.

• D|CED|CE Member Posts: 197
    Originally posted by Haggis13

All three your statements are untrue. (1) Geographically, Lithuania is not not the center of Europe. That is to say that there are accounts that it is, but there are also plenty of accounts that say that it is not. (2) Linguistically, Lithuanians have an above average level of spoken English, whereas the Japanese are generally less apt at it. (3) Lithuanian is a European language. To say Lithuania is linguistically not part of Europe because they speak a European language is contradictory.
    Lithuanian people SHOULD on those grounds primarily have access to the European servers rather than the Russian ones.

Your 3rd statement, using your own words is "untrue". While Lithuanian is recognized as one of official languages of European Union, having 23 languages "official" languages and being in Europe does not make it "European" language. There even no such thing, linguistically speaking.

It belongs to group of Baltic languages, which belong to Balto-Slavic group, which in turn belongs to much larger Indo-European group. Most of the Middle East and India belong to that language group.

Russian is in the same "European" group as Lithuanian, since it belongs to Balto-Slavic and Indo-European groups.

Other than that, I agree that it is rather silly of NCSoft to make Lithuanians play Aion localized for Russia.

this is the massage from NCsoft:

"In the case of Lithuania the license is indeed with Innova and this would in effect mean that players from Lithuanian IP’s won’t be able to connect and play on our subscription based European servers.“

Originally posted by D|CE

Your 3rd statement, using your own words is "untrue". While Lithuanian is recognized as one of official languages of European Union, having 23 languages "official" languages and being in Europe does not make it "European" language. There even no such thing, linguistically speaking.

It belongs to group of Baltic languages, which belong to Balto-Slavic group, which in turn belongs to much larger Indo-European group. Most of the Middle East and India belong to that language group.

Russian is in the same "European" group as Lithuanian, since it belongs to Balto-Slavic and Indo-European groups.

Other than that, I agree that it is rather silly of NCSoft to make Lithuanians play Aion localized for Russia.

If Sprachbunds, regiolects, and isoglosses exist, I can call Lithuanian a European language; there is apparently (or, rather, obviously) such a thing as purely geographical distribution of linguistic variety. Beside that, it simply is a language spoken in Europe. Don't assume I'm commenting on something I don't know anything about.

On a sidenote, I disagree that NCSoft is 'wrong' here. It is not per se bad or good; it is just something that is. Besides, I find it hard to believe that you could not buy a European version from the internet and then simply play on the European servers. Same end result. It's an odd state of affairs, but hardly something to get all worked up about.

Considering Microsoft and Intel have fallen foul of the European comission, I think that NCSoft will be facing an investigation for breaking the open trade border rules within the EU.

• PapaB34RPapaB34R Member Posts: 300

Originally posted by D|CE

If Sprachbunds, regiolects, and isoglosses exist, I can call Lithuanian a European language; there is apparently (or, rather, obviously) such a thing as purely geographical distribution of linguistic variety. Beside that, it simply is a language spoken in Europe. Don't assume I'm commenting on something I don't know anything about.

On a sidenote, I disagree that NCSoft is 'wrong' here. It is not per se bad or good; it is just something that is. Besides, I find it hard to believe that you could not buy a European version from the internet and then simply play on the European servers. Same end result. It's an odd state of affairs, but hardly something to get all worked up about.

Apparently according to several sources (one in this thread), all IPs from Lithuania will be banned so no you cant just buy the game somewhere else and play on the EU servers. I sense a hefty fine for NCSoft coming unless they make some sudden changes

• Darkness690Darkness690 Member Posts: 174

What's your point? Lithuania is still a part of Europe. It would be the same exact thing if Canada couldn't play on the NA servers.

Apparently according to several sources (one in this thread), all IPs from Lithuania will be banned so no you cant just buy the game somewhere else and play on the EU servers. I sense a hefty fine for NCSoft coming unless they make some sudden changes

I suppose you could still work around that by using a foreign IP, then?

I suppose you could still work around that by using a foreign IP, then?

if we will try to go around the wall we have a huge chanse to get acc block for all NCsoft games.

That sounds like an exaggeration. I agree NCSoft should not have grouped Lithuanians on the Russian servers, but I find it hard to believe that they would force an IP ban AND actively block accounts that work around it; it would only reduce their income.

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by adrianemery

If NC doesn't region lock it, I see much sales from Amazon .co.uk or .de as they ship all over europe.
    If NC do region lock it the I see a lot of proxy services being used as well.

they eventually region locked teh korean, the chinese isn't YET but prolly will after NA get thiers i bet