Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why the fugly graphics?

2»

Comments

• InstamaticInstamatic Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Originally posted by grunty

Hell yeah Grunty!  I was explaining the fun of Lemmings to my wife the other day since she missed out on that early 90's pc gaming.

• CoffeeGruntCoffeeGrunt Member Posts: 192
    Originally posted by clearSam

im just tryng to understand here, why are the devs of this game trying to jumpstart a 10 years old graphics engine ?
    is there a rule that says: "if its an mmo then it should look ugly" ?
    or is it just a common cultural thing that whenever a great revolutionary game is about to be released someone goes like: "ehh... you know what, lets give this game a handicap so that trolls find something to chew on"
    i mean this game could be perfect, it has the theme, the mechanics and the audience, why did they have to destroy the visuals?
    yes, we may argue for weeks on how important are graphics in an mmo, but that is absolutely not the point of this thread, my point is even if gfx are not the main focus of a game, it should at least look as good as any average game released in the last 2 years...
    are there any plans for enhancing the way this game looks?

not everyone can afford to buy  a new graphs or computer  every 1 or 2 yrs , or upgrade it ,

if you think it should be that way ,you gonna  find yourself interacting  with very few ppl ...wonder what the whining then will be ^^

it looks mucho better than DFO thats a fact for me ..and tis good nuff for me since this isnt a single player game .

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183
    Originally posted by CoffeeGrunt

not everyone can afford to buy  a new graphs or computer  every 1 or 2 yrs , or upgrade it ,
    if you think it should be that way ,you gonna  find yourself interacting  with very few ppl ...wonder what the whining then will be ^^

it looks mucho better than DFO thats a fact for me ..and tis good nuff for me since this isnt a single player game .

the problem is, as I understand it, that even with the sub-par graphics, you're going to need a NASA-built machine to run this thing at speed.

Why??

• TrowarTrowar Member Posts: 147

Because it isn´t the graphic that is taxing. There are some beta-testers that are using 0.5 Gb RAM, but that is too really ask for trouble regardless of mmorpg except the oldest out there.  And even with a NASA engineered computer you will probably at times encounter lag because it is still beta.

Blizzard is going to limit the amount of players in Wintergrasp to 100 in WoW because of lag and there we are talking about a 5 year old game that can be played on a netbook, still it fails at times regardless of what computer you play.

If the graphic is so important that it alone dictates what mmorpg you are going to play, by all means AION is that way.

I don´t think "Oh, what a beautiful world!" type of reaction is what one will expect from a post-apocalyptic setting. I would have had much higher demand on the graphic in a pure fantasy game, that is supposed to inspire awe or a space-opera kind of SF like Star Wars. The graphic fits the setting, in a post-apocalyptic World how important will it be to put on make-up and having matching clothes?

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

Originally posted by Trowar
    Because it isn´t the graphic that is taxing. There are some beta-testers that are using 0.5 Gb RAM, but that is too really ask for trouble regardless of mmorpg except the oldest out there.  And even with a NASA engineered computer you will probably at times encounter lag because it is still beta.
    Blizzard is going to limit the amount of players in Wintergrasp to 100 in WoW because of lag and there we are talking about a 5 year old game that can be played on a netbook, still it fails at times regardless of what computer you play.
    If the graphic is so important that it alone dictates what mmorpg you are going to play, by all means AION is that way.
    I don´t think "Oh, what a beautiful world!" type of reaction is what one will expect from a post-apocalyptic setting. I would have had much higher demand on the graphic in a pure fantasy game, that is supposed to inspire awe or a space-opera kind of SF like Star Wars. The graphic fits the setting, in a post-apocalyptic World how important will it be to put on make-up and having matching clothes?

AION is a "pretty game" for poor people. Running it at max settings than comparing it to AOC at max is a night and day difference. It's basically nice PS2 visuals compared to nice PS3 visuals. The gap between the 2 is just that large.

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202
    Originally posted by Smikis

umm game on max looks decent enough, apart totally poor drawn distance and quality and most ugly grass flickering i ever saw ( no its not drivers or some random shit.. its how it is.. go look at it )
    and ye it runs kinda poorly too when i turn on mmo i expect to set max quality and be happy with it.. but even having 50~fps it feels lagy. not to mention spikes there and here.. yes its beta.. and graphic engine is first you develope.. not the last thing you fix..  if this game is gona get released in next 6 months, it probably wont even reach 300k subs

Why does it need 300k subs? As long as it has enough to support the company and the servers thay have are full thats all that should matter.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

• MahloMahlo Member UncommonPosts: 814
    Originally posted by EvolvedMonky

Originally posted by Mahlo

Anyone who says the graphics of FE are fine need to make an appointment with their optician pronto. They are so damn ugly! If you tried to make a game uglier it couldn't look worse. It's the texturing that's the problem more than anything. Perhaps they can improve on that, yet. Those bushes that are around everywhere look like a bunch of pixels. It's dreadful. Buildings and vehicles have textures chucked on with no thought whatsover.
    Those comparing the graphics with Fallout 3 obviously can't dinstinguish between content and delivery. Fallout 3's graphics weren't great but you can't compare them to FE's botched job. You really have to believe graphics don't matter to accept FE as it is right now.

Back in the day your character would be 6 or 7 squares put together in a way to resemble a person.

Kids now a days are spoiled.

Oh shut up. I'm 43. Idiot. 'Back in the day' people drew pictures on cave walls. So what?

• hopdoghopdog Member Posts: 110

Originally posted by EvolvedMonky

Anyone who says the graphics of FE are fine need to make an appointment with their optician pronto. They are so damn ugly! If you tried to make a game uglier it couldn't look worse. It's the texturing that's the problem more than anything. Perhaps they can improve on that, yet. Those bushes that are around everywhere look like a bunch of pixels. It's dreadful. Buildings and vehicles have textures chucked on with no thought whatsover.
    Those comparing the graphics with Fallout 3 obviously can't dinstinguish between content and delivery. Fallout 3's graphics weren't great but you can't compare them to FE's botched job. You really have to believe graphics don't matter to accept FE as it is right now.

Back in the day your character would be 6 or 7 squares put together in a way to resemble a person.

Kids now a days are spoiled.

Oh shut up. I'm 43. Idiot. 'Back in the day' people drew pictures on cave walls. So what?

seems like yesterday i just left my cave :D  but on a serios note the graphic's seem fine to me i'm not in the beta but from the gameplay footege i've seen it just looks like there using pixel splash to give it a post apocholyps type of feel dirt and dabrea floating around can give the picture a shady look but thats another reason to max out your video card.

And on another note as graphics are concerned I would rather have good game play vs good graphics (another reason why wow is still up there even thogh its 4-5 years old.)

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

im just tryng to understand here, why are the devs of this game trying to jumpstart a 10 years old graphics engine ?
    or is it just a common cultural thing that whenever a great revolutionary game is about to be released someone goes like: "ehh... you know what, lets give this game a handicap so that trolls find something to chew on"
    i mean this game could be perfect, it has the theme, the mechanics and the audience, why did they have to destroy the visuals?
    yes, we may argue for weeks on how important are graphics in an mmo, but that is absolutely not the point of this thread, my point is even if gfx are not the main focus of a game, it should at least look as good as any average game released in the last 2 years...

not a lot of company can afford to produce their own game engine ,most go the easy route and addapt existing engine for their own game (aion is a good exemple)i feel the same as you when a company dont even bother to create their own engine its very hard to take them seriously

i dont know how many game use steam engine  but there are a lot

aion use an engine from another game also

why didnt they make their own engine.you guess is as good as mine

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039
    Originally posted by drbaltazar 
    not a lot of company can afford to produce their own game engine ,most go the easy route and addapt existing engine for their own game (aion is a good exemple)i feel the same as you when a company dont even bother to create their own engine its very hard to take them seriously

i dont know how many game use steam engine  but there are a lot
    aion use an engine from another game also
    why didnt they make their own engine.you guess is as good as mine

You know that they are making/using their own engine, don't you?

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

FE has a huge open world map with no zoning or instancing in cities. AoC has top notch graphics but spawns a new instance of their themepark mini maps whenever 50 people are in it. In Aion all maps are instances and cities are instanced too.

Part from that i do not think that the FE graphics look 10 years old. They are pretty decent and animations are top. PhysX is extensively used and the ragdoll system is really nice. I don't think they had PhysX 10 years ago.

Show me a screenshot please and tell me what you think does look ugly and not up to par with a 2-3 year old MMORPG.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

The graphics in the screenshots and videos for FE look good to me. It is all individual perspective, though. I'm fine with these graphics when considering the type of gameplay the game actually offers. I'll take that over AoC or Aion graphics and the type of gameplay they offer anyday.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

The insufficient budget of a small developer.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I think you probably guessed it right when mentioning 10 yr old game engine.A cheap game engine makes for a much cheaper cost of development.Low end graphics makes a for a cheaper build,it also means less effort into designing zones,because you don't have to worry about poly counts and graphic lag.The good side it that the game receives less feedback on bugs and crashes and more people can access the game with cheaper PC's.

However i do not for one minute believe any developers make their game based on attracting a wider base of PC's,i believe they try to follow the average standards "IF" they can.

I am not sure who actually owns this game,but the developer sure has a nice marketing pitch,so maybe the owner thought these guys could deliver.It has been in devlopement for quite some time,yet LLC's marketing pitch is SPEED of getting game to market.This actually is a pitch i have seen far too often lately,it makes me feel we are in for a ton of rushed out the door games,with little quality.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• OzrykOzryk Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by Wharg0ul

Originally posted by CoffeeGrunt

the problem is, as I understand it, that even with the sub-par graphics, you're going to need a NASA-built machine to run this thing at speed.

Why??

That's unfortunately true.... if not a bit of an exaggeration.

Basically, they wrote their graphics engine from scratch, for whatever reason (budget, ego, insanity).  And being an extremely miniscule studio, with obviously miniscule resources... while this might have SEEMED a necessity, it's probably going to turn out to be their undoing.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

I guess when people look at these graphics they think about fallout and there you have the whole these suck thing, just my theory though. Otherwise ye indie companies can't really afford to get unreal engine or something but in my opinion they look Decent enough and in the screenshots provided you can see they atleast gave some attention to detail.

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

Finally fixed the fuzzy grass issue with some serious tweaking of the config. The games actually starting to shape up into something I'm going to play. About 2 months ago it was so bad I couldn't bare to play it because half the tree's were missing. Now at least theres a decent layer of polish and Im not seeing any glitches. The game itself is pretty damned fun if you like the freedom to wander and do what you want. Personally Im a herbalist for the Lightbearers:D Loving the lifestyle!