Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mechwarrior relaunch and free release! News Updated DEC 5 2009

GozerTCGozerTC Member UncommonPosts: 119

It's nice to have a Non-MMO section of this forum just to share the love.  Mechwarrior is being relaunched and it looks SWEET!  Like Mechwarrior should have been all along.  :) 

The Video looks sweet, though I agree all videos are just videos at this point.  Then again they also have an awesome interview to read through over at IGN.  There's some interesting bits to get excited about in there, such as the fact that they want to make it more of a "I'm a one man army" like it used to be.  Also the whole cockpit feel that has been missing for a long time.

Finally, if you have no clue what I'm talking about, or want to remember the good old days, they are getting ready to release Mechwarrior 4 and all of it's add-ons for FREE.  Battletech.com has running news on this exciting news as MekTek.net prepares to host the release thanks to Smith and Tinker who are working on the New Mechwarrior. 

Personally I am VERY excited about this news as I'm an old school Battletech and Mechwarrior fan. (I.e. Pen and Paper and PC) I hope they'll be able to bring back many of the older mechs that were lost after the lawsuit of the past, with the Warhammer in the teaser trailer I've got high hopes we'll see some of my old faves that disapeared in later games.  I also hope we'll finally get Quads and larger armless (like the Stalker) mechs in release.  Though I'm probably dreaming. :D 

Update 12/9/2009

I'm going to start updating this first post and see how that works.  Here's the latest as of the 12th of November: 

Regarding Mechwarrior4 FREE Release Status

The Mechwarrior4 FREE release is still currently to be announced. MekTek had hoped to gain permission for the release while visiting Smith and Tinker, Inc. in Seattle this week. However, we have learned that Microsoft has endured several administrative changes which currently impede the release. The good news, however, is that a meeting to finalize the release is scheduled near the American Thanks Giving Holiday. Smith and Tinker said that it will only take 1-2 more days before permission is granted. From MekTek, we are happy to report that the release is ready and awaiting permission to push that big shiny green release button at MekTek headquarters.

So yeah no word since the 12th of November but it is only a week or so after Thanksgiving so hopefully in the next few days I'll have some good news to forward on to you all.

Current Game: Asssasins Creed 2(PS3, Gamer Tag: Happy_Hubby)
Current MMO: World of Warcraft and World of Tanks
Former Subscribed MMO: Star Trek Online, Aion, WoW, Guild Wars, Eve Online, DAoC, City of Heroes, Shattered Galaxy, 10six.
Tried: Too many to list

Comments

• ssnautilusssnautilus Member Posts: 373

Can you keep us posted on the MechWarrior 4 FREE releases please. :) :)

I have been wondering for eons where this franchise evaporated to?! Glad to have it back.

• GozerTCGozerTC Member UncommonPosts: 119

No worries mate.  Consider me a "Mechwarrior Correspondent"  for now. :)  I'm really hyped up about it and don't mind sharing the info!  

Currently the delay is mostly just MekTek.net having to build up the server farm to host MW4.  Personally I can't wait to get my hands on all of those mechs and campaigns since I only ever played MW4: Mercenaries.  Sure I could go Pirate it, but why when they're giving it away for free in just a few weeks?  

Former Subscribed MMO: Star Trek Online, Aion, WoW, Guild Wars, Eve Online, DAoC, City of Heroes, Shattered Galaxy, 10six.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

This is awsome cool news! Made my day:)

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

I still have the original Mechwarrior game. A real jewel.  Thanks for the heads up on the relaunch!

• TheutusTheutus Member UncommonPosts: 636

Russ Bullock: First and foremost, in this day and age and this time, we've all played the PC games in the past and absolutely loved them. But certainly going forward, just out of necessity and because we think we can, we're definitely very focused also on the Xbox 360. So we're very focused on the console standpoint moving forward. Now, we still need to work out a lot with our chosen publishing partner, so some of these questions will become answered, but I think that Jordan and I are in agreement that we want to make a MechWarrior game.

Hmm...

Originally posted by Theutus

Russ Bullock: First and foremost, in this day and age and this time, we've all played the PC games in the past and absolutely loved them. But certainly going forward, just out of necessity and because we think we can, we're definitely very focused also on the Xbox 360. So we're very focused on the console standpoint moving forward. Now, we still need to work out a lot with our chosen publishing partner, so some of these questions will become answered, but I think that Jordan and I are in agreement that we want to make a MechWarrior game.

Hmm...

Hmm indeed.  I'm sure they're not going to want to do a giant special controller for the Xbox like they did for Steel Batallions.  (Which was an awesome controller BTW)  

Nor would they dumb it down too much I hope.   I bet you can do a more SIM Mechwarrior than Arcade like MechAssault.  

• NailezsNailezs Member Posts: 4

this is awesome news! please keep us updated on teh status of the MW4 downloads!

• adrianemeryadrianemery Member Posts: 250

Mechwarrior 2 on the playstation was awful compared to the PC version.

Steel Battalion was great for the first 48 hours and then my foot pedals broke and I couldn't get a replacement just a refund. :(

But a new Mechwarrior and Mechcommander game have been seriously overdue.

• demolishIXdemolishIX Member Posts: 632

They will not add in mechs (mechas) they ripped anyway also the free MW launch news is 1 month old it will still be awhile before they release it,probably will release it close to the release of the new MW.

Tho I cant wait for the new MW,looks awesome... tho I realy wanted a PC Mecha game... gief Gundam !

Yeah they'll probably not bring back the old mechs but it is nice to see a Warhammer in the preview trailer. 

As for timing on the MW4 release I'm with everyone else at the moment trying to get more information.  I'll post what I can when I get it.  Though it is good to see folks here interested in the game.  Which of course begs the question, Why no Mechwarrior MMO?  Too many mehcs maybe?  :D 

Just A quick update from the guys at Mektek.net who are the ones who'll be hosting MW4. 

Well folks its certainly time for an update regarding the the FREE release of Mechwarrior4 recently announced. I figured it would be worth mentioning considering this is the weekend of GENCON 2009 where all of the major players in the Mechwarrior and BattleTech world are expected to converge on Indianapolis this weekend. We have been receiving a wealth of requests for information regarding this release from gamers both young and old. As a game fan community development site such as MekTek, receiving such honor to release a million dollar product developed by Microsoft may be one thing but delivering on this release successfully is another. Currently, MekTek is working around the clock on pretty much everything in preparation for this free release. There will be a second media blitz when the release is ready as both MekTek and the release partners want to ensure the word travels far and wide regarding the official release. Also expect to see more info regarding partner developments around this time on BattleTech.com.

The reason we did not re-package the ISOs of Mechwarrior4 and release the game as is right after the release of the announcement is because we simply were not prepared. The news and announcement of the FREE release happened very quickly and was dropped in our lap almost as quickly as it was dropped in yours. Since the announcement, we have been diligently preparing for the release of Mechwarrior4 which has all of the digital protection mechanisms removed. Along with this development we have also been working on our MekMatch software. For those of you not familiar, MekMatch is a reverse engineered protocol developed for match making services in Mechwarrior4 by MekTek. This service was developed after Microsoft terminated the Zonematch service which officially supported Mechwarrior4 multiplayer. Our MekMatch software needed a serious overhaul to handle the amount of traffic we expect on our servers when the game is released. MekTek also plans to include MekPak3.1 with the free release of Mechwarrior4 which includes an additional 100+ new battlemechs, dozens of new weapons, maps, and other content developed by MekTek. The distribution will come as a single file self-installable which will be initially downloadable via torrent trackers and later provided in multi part volumes, ISO. Finally, MekTek is also releasing a new application which has been in development since this announcement which provides the community with the latest patches and software from MekTek. This software will greatly simplify the patching process of Mechwarrior4 and allow MekTek to push updates, such as our MekPak4, to the Mechwarrior4 community much easier than in the past.

The unfortunate aspect of all this great news is that all of these new developments could have been ironed out before the announcement but they were not. Our partners felt an initial announcement was necessary and so did we. We plan to release Mechwarrior4 for FREE when developments are completed and considered stable. We are also waiting on legal paper work from lawyers and as anyone out there that has worked in the professional industry knows, something of this magnitude takes time on all fronts. MekTek is not receiving any financial support from the partners regarding this release and obviously no one can quit their daytime job to get the job done faster either. The release has entered beta status and will be delivered to the world very shortly. MekTek is supported through donations from our community and thus far we have received 50% of our goal to cover server infrastructure costs. We hope the community will continue to support us during this very busy time to ensure we have the best possible hardware in place for this release.

Thanks for supporting us folks, while we work hard on something new and shiny, for everyone, for FREE!

That was on the 15th of August.  Now on the 21st they added this update: 

Well folks, as Vam posted a couple days ago, we are effecting some major upgrades to our servers and there may be server shenanigans periodically over the next few days. We apologize for any inconveniences this may cause, but keep in mind, when the servers are down for upgrades, that means were gearing up for the Mercs release. Jehosephat and the rest of the crew are working their tails off preparing for the release, a little more patience and you will reap the rewards.

So we're getting closer.  If I was to guess on a release date I'd say September 14th.  Why?  Because any old date sounds good about now. :D 

Nice 1 Mr the Gozerian, thx 4 the update. :)  100+ new battlemechs..........Kick ass!

Originally posted by spookydom

Nice 1 Mr the Gozerian, thx 4 the update. :)  100+ new battlemachs..........Kick ass!

Yeah if you happen to have your old discs lying around you can check out about 50+ of them now.  I will admit though that some are modeled and textured better than others.  You can deffinetly tell the new ones were done after the initial launch, but you get some good oldies like the Maurader and the Stalker. 

• SumeragiSumeragi Member UncommonPosts: 16

Really sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes by posting this, but this just got posted on MekTek today:

Mechwarrior FREE Release Update and MTX Announced

Posted by Vam, Thursday, 10 September 2009 14:26 Comments(0), Read all

Its been awhile since we last updated you on the status of the FREE release of Mechwarrior4 so we felt the need to assure everyone that the time is nearing. We had hoped to release the FREE title the last weekend of summer but that unfortunately did not happen due to paperwork. As previously mentioned, I indicated that there are still a number issues to resolve before the FREE release. Those issues are resolving thanks to the hard work of many at MekTek. From a development stand point the FREE release is near ready to go but we are still waiting to resolve some of the legalities associated with such a wide distribution. While we have not provided a set date for the release, we are still on target, and our partners are happy with the progress MekTek has been making. Our focus on the FREE release has been revamping our match making service MekMatch in order to accommodate many more users. In addition to the work being conducted on the Mechwarrior4 FREE release, we are also working on a community software distribution and patching application which we have been alluding to on our forums. This software is known as MekTek X (or simply MTX). X stands for the last decade of service to the Mechwarrior community. MTX was developed out the need for a centralized distribution and patching point for all of MekTek's software currently being developed and planned to be released including MekPak4 for the FREE release, Single Player Campaigns from Mechwarrior4: Vengeance and Black Knight, Assault Tech1: BattleTech, and much more. This software has been in development by Studio MekTek since the announcement of the FREE release and successfully reached beta testing status two weeks ago. MTX is a free desktop product which has been thoroughly tested and will connect you with MekTek.net's community as well BattleTech.com and the rest of our partners.

Looks like we'll be waiting just a little longer.  :(

• suldunsuldun Member Posts: 12

somewhere in one of the interviews they said they were going back to 3010 or something like that.  So why not bring back the best mechs they ever made (1st eddition rules all )

• demolishIXdemolishIX Member Posts: 632

This has being announced for awhile now,free MW ... however its being soo long and dragging that most people wont even be intrested to play it ,expecialy with all the close releases for alot of good titles.

• Rodnee42Rodnee42 Member Posts: 41

I sure hope they make this one better than MW4 that game sucked.

MW3 now that was a great game.

MW4 was a step down from MW3.

Quick update guys: 

Regarding Mechwarrior4 FREE Release Status

The Mechwarrior4 FREE release is still currently to be announced. MekTek had hoped to gain permission for the release while visiting Smith and Tinker, Inc. in Seattle this week. However, we have learned that Microsoft has endured several administrative changes which currently impede the release. The good news, however, is that a meeting to finalize the release is scheduled near the American Thanks Giving Holiday. Smith and Tinker said that it will only take 1-2 more days before permission is granted. From MekTek, we are happy to report that the release is ready and awaiting permission to push that big shiny green release button at MekTek headquarters.

This was posted on the MekTek site on November 12th.  There's been nothing new reguarding this since but it is just a few days after Thanksgiving so here's hoping I'll have good news to report in a  few days!

Thanks for the update :)

• LansidLansid Member UncommonPosts: 1,097
    Originally posted by GozerTC

Originally posted by Theutus

Hmm...

Hmm indeed.  I'm sure they're not going to want to do a giant special controller for the Xbox like they did for Steel Batallions.  (Which was an awesome controller BTW)  

Nor would they dumb it down too much I hope.   I bet you can do a more SIM Mechwarrior than Arcade like MechAssault.  

Speaking as one of the people who bought the damned game/controller... I would buy a controller if it supported a MW4ish kind of game, Armored Core-like game... but I don't see it. The lack of support by everyone towards the first one left a bad image commercially about it.

"There is only one thing of which I am certain, and that's nothing is certain."

• AxeionAxeion Member UncommonPosts: 418

looking forward to this.used to play batteltech with the minies some an played cresent hawks revenge on ye old comador 64.shame some of the original mechs they "borrowed" from the robotech series arent in mechwarior 4 .wonder if any one did mods for them?

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." — Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant (1933)

Originally posted by Axeion

looking forward to this.used to play batteltech with the minies some an played cresent hawks revenge on ye old comador 64.shame some of the original mechs they "borrowed" from the robotech series arent in mechwarior 4 .wonder if any one did mods for them?

Oh yeah the MekTek Mech Packs (http://www.mektek.net/) add lots of the original mechs like the Battlemaster, Rifleman, Maurader, and the like. :) 

It will be available along with the MW4 release so we'll get a TON of mechs.  Though most are only available in multi-player and skirmish modes. :(  

• AxeionAxeion Member UncommonPosts: 418

woot i say woot.thats great news.hope they get it out soon .they did mech comander while back i belive an released it as well .

http://www.mechcommander.org/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=53

mech comander 2 isnt bad at all.sevrial ftp rts imho use it as its core engine.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." — Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant (1933)