Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What the hell are we supposed to do while waiting for the next EQ?

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by heremypet

It seems like it's just never gonna happen. I've waited and waited for a decent MMO like classic EQ to come out, but all I see is one easymode MMO after another.
    Some people say "no one will play something like that anymore" but I so would!  I see people posting all the time about other games not living up to their EQ expectations too, so I know they're out there, waiting for it just like me.
    Of course SoE almost released a classic server, but instead made it one where you start out at level 50.  There was rumors of a VG vision server, but given their limited resources no one is holding their breath.
    I'm fresh out of ideas for what to do in the meantime.  I've tried all the EQ successors already, every last one of them is easymode.  I guess I could play baldur's gate again or something, maybe diablo2.. any suggestions?
    Yea, I've tried EVE and sure it's awesome, but space gets booooring =(

Well, there is a upcomming MMO that actually might be rather hard: Guildwars 2. And CCPs upcoming world of darkness online will probably be worth to keep an eye out for.

Many people here think that all MMOs from no one will become like Wow or even easier but trends come and go, hard MMOs will make a comeback.

But they will never be exactly as EQ, at least if not SOE make a remake of it which isn't impossible.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Torak

MMO's have changed and evolved since those days. If your playstyle hasn't, you have a problem.
    You have 2 choices if you are unwilling to adapt to todays market (because it isn't ever going to go back)

Play EQ
    Stop playing MMORPG's.

If there ever is a "next EQ" it's about 99.9% sure it's not going to anything like EQ, it will probably be more like Free Realms but with an adult skin.

True but they will evolve again and neither of us know where that is going. Games can't become much easier than Wow now so sooner or later things will change again and the trend will turn.

It is impossible to know the future but it is not unlikelier that we will see something close to EQ as the next big game then that it will be close to Wow.

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805
    Originally posted by eclipse2g

Originally posted by Waterlily

Originally posted by Nadril

SNIP

Well, you just jump all over the place with conclusions and absolutes. Modernising the industry or using new technology doesn't equate to better gameplay. 

EQ wasn't more difficult because of "technological limitations", EQ was harder because in most cases it forced you to group and forced you to be social. You learned to put others first and help your group, guild and friends first instead of me me me. It required coordination, it required teamwork, something I don't seem to find anymore in current MMO.

Not everyone liked that, that's right. Many players complained about epics, many complained about grouping, but for every person who hated it, there were 10 who loved it.

You're also wrong when you say:

"There weren't strategies detailing everything you needed to know."

Which game do you think was responsible for sites like Allakhazam? It was made as a guide for EQ.

EQ didn't have any real add-ons. Unless you count ShowEQ as an add-on, which it never was, it belongs in the hacking category since it showed you loot and spawn points. Yes EQ has parsers, I've never been fond of them, but what you're gonna do.

A lot of what you say doesn't make any sense.

You hit the nail right on the head.  EQ had what makes MMOG's special.  The forced grouping, huge raid forces, and inability to do anything for yourself fostered community.  With how easy today's mmo's are noone builds social networks or even feels like they should at least act like a human being.  People act like total degenerates because rep doesn't matter anymore.  Even if 99% of the server hates you, if you still have your 12 friends you can get things done.  Noone helps anyone else anymore.  In EQ I used to give rezzes, information, quest help, etc... And many of those newbies I helped became friends and helped me out down the line after they had leveled up. 

These days I barely know anyone in or out of my guild.  Its all about phat loots and "what can you do for me".  Sad really...  I miss being able to say "I play because I enjoy spending time with my friends".

hello people wich actually have a clue :)

WTB the old day of EQOA back. The days where u would assist a random person wich was about to die. Why you ask ? cauz dieing sucked. Death penalty's where huge and by saving a person and therefor possibly 3 hours+ of his time leveling hewould be really grateful. This and whats posted above made for friendly community's because you just did not have the time to assrant around like in today's MMO.

MMO's are all about acomplishing things, when you are done playing you should feel like you did a good job with whatever you did. Like WoW used to be before expansions. People had to work for a single goal within the 40 man's and when u defeated that voss you would be really happy, unlike now wich when you defeat a boss youl have to chalange him on a slightly harder setting... how much more repatative can u get?

Someday guys at some point designers will wake up and make a MMO wich forces the community to actually be a community again, where the entire gameplay is yet again chalengeing and where assrant's are non-existing.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Despite what you might think, I doubt a lot of you would even play a game like EQ if someone were to develop one today. The gameplay mechanics are too outdated and slow-paced. Your feeling of love for that type of game comes from your memories of how that game made you feel...

Unfortunately no game will ever make you feel that way again because the wonder and newness of MMORPGs as a whole has worn off. We are all very familiar with these types of games now. No new game can ever feel as new or interesting again simply because we have all been there and done that by now.

The birth of the FPS genre was the same in many ways. Remember how cool Wolfenstein or DOOM were the first time you played them? I remember thinking "WOW! This game is actually in 3D!! How cool!?". And now there are a million new FPS titles every year and none of them have that same wow feeling no matter how visually stunning or innovative they are... We've been there and done that a million times.

Believe me though, I feel your pain. I have felt this way about UO for a long time... I have never found a game that comes close to filling that void. I have just come to the realization that it will never happen. Its not that UO was perfect in any way... its that my own perception of it was amplified 100 fold because of the newness of the genre for me. In the same way, I don't think EQ was perfect in any way... you just can't replace it in your own mind because, at the time, it was the coolest thing ever for you...

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905
    Originally posted by Loke666

MMO's have changed and evolved since those days. If your playstyle hasn't, you have a problem.
    You have 2 choices if you are unwilling to adapt to todays market (because it isn't ever going to go back)

Play EQ
    Stop playing MMORPG's.

If there ever is a "next EQ" it's about 99.9% sure it's not going to anything like EQ, it will probably be more like Free Realms but with an adult skin.

True but they will evolve again and neither of us know where that is going. Games can't become much easier than Wow now so sooner or later things will change again and the trend will turn.

It is impossible to know the future but it is not unlikelier that we will see something close to EQ as the next big game then that it will be close to Wow.

True.

As MMO's are a new thing, IMHO is that they seem to be working in roughly 5 - 6 year cycles. I guess we will need to wait and see.

In the meantime the OP still only has 2 real options.

well...three if he is willing to be a bit more flexible in regards to his playstyle.

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

Go outside and socialize? LOL kidding.

I feel ya bud, i think alot of people feel the same way.

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• eclipse2geclipse2g Member Posts: 19

It could be pacman online, with nothing more than chasing dots and ghosts through a maze and I would play it, if it had a good community.

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805

You know with the EQ series (EQ1 EQOA and EQ2) you actually feel your playing in a world.

waay back ive stared with my first 3d MMO EQOA it felt awsome havnt felt anything like it in any 2d MMO but that feeling stayed. It stayed with me during the entire game, With any new area i arrived init felt immense and alive when returning to those areas day after day they became smaller i know evry corner and tree but still the world felt alive.

With WoW i had the same feeling in new area's but this feeling did not linger like in EQOA. a while back i quited WoW forgood and started playing EQ2. And geus what even those the EQ2 settings are 1000+ years in the future from EQOA the world felt really alike i felt at home. The EQ series makes you feel your in a difrent world all together. WoW has this asswell but only for a short while. To my suprise i only felt thise feeling in 1 more game, Warhammer online, when i first logged i felt like i was on a battlefield and that feeling stayed for the short time i have played. ( I truelly believe that warhammer can become a great game with some changes)

Anyway with so many MMO's out today, The sense of actually being in a world is still a very rare thing.

• TwystedWizTwystedWiz Member UncommonPosts: 175

People longing for the good old days are annoying. I've been playing video games since I was 3, yet I don't suddenly wish for a bunch of games just like Haloween Harry or Duke Nukem. I prefer that games evolve and change because it would be no fun if we would still be stuck in the past.
    I feel that some people will never be happy with current games because they hang on too much to this vision of what it was like "back in the day". Yes, games were more difficult back then -- I don't remember beating many old DOS games as a child. However many games were difficult due to technological limitations or just due to developers not having any real sense of design.
    I really don't care what anyone says but mechanics used in the original Everquest are downright archaic, there is no reason to simply re-release it, or release a game just like it. You need to remember that it isn't the long camp times, or the corpse runs or even just the game in general that gives you fond memories for the game, it's the fact that chances are that is your first, for many of you.
    Modernization of the industry is not a bad thing, nor do I think games are getting easier. Instead they are just a lot different now because we live in such a different time. Back in the day there weren't databases full of information pertaining to every aspect of the game. There weren't strategies detailing everything you needed to know, and there weren't addons showing you where to go. (Although I faintly remember controversy over a few certain addons in Everquest). Face it, even if we just re released Everquest in today's world it wouldn't be as hard of a game because you wouldn't have to figure this stuff out yourself.

"Yes, games were more difficult back then..."

"...nor do I think games are getting easier..."

Contradict yourself much?

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905
    Originally posted by TwystedWiz

People longing for the good old days are annoying. I've been playing video games since I was 3, yet I don't suddenly wish for a bunch of games just like Haloween Harry or Duke Nukem. I prefer that games evolve and change because it would be no fun if we would still be stuck in the past.
    I feel that some people will never be happy with current games because they hang on too much to this vision of what it was like "back in the day". Yes, games were more difficult back then -- I don't remember beating many old DOS games as a child. However many games were difficult due to technological limitations or just due to developers not having any real sense of design.
    I really don't care what anyone says but mechanics used in the original Everquest are downright archaic, there is no reason to simply re-release it, or release a game just like it. You need to remember that it isn't the long camp times, or the corpse runs or even just the game in general that gives you fond memories for the game, it's the fact that chances are that is your first, for many of you.
    Modernization of the industry is not a bad thing, nor do I think games are getting easier. Instead they are just a lot different now because we live in such a different time. Back in the day there weren't databases full of information pertaining to every aspect of the game. There weren't strategies detailing everything you needed to know, and there weren't addons showing you where to go. (Although I faintly remember controversy over a few certain addons in Everquest). Face it, even if we just re released Everquest in today's world it wouldn't be as hard of a game because you wouldn't have to figure this stuff out yourself.

You took him out of context....

spin much?

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495
    Originally posted by altairzq

There won't be another EQ, the MMORPG genre is dead and for good.
    I'm playing WOW and keeping an eye on MO.

Probably the opposite is true. Eventually MMORPGs will become similar to MUDS. There will be hundreds of EQs to choose from.

• DoktorTeufelDoktorTeufel Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Originally posted by Ihmotepp 
    Probably the opposite is true. Eventually MMORPGs will become similar to MUDS. There will be hundreds of EQs to choose from.

Indeed, the pendulum almost always swings both ways in life.

There were two distinct years in home console gaming history (1977 and 1983) where the industry crashed, resulting in multiple video game companies going bankrupt or abandoning the video game industry entirely. Why? During those years, publishers seeking to quickly cash in on the video gaming craze released truckloads of dumbed down, incomplete, terrible video games, and people just quit buying en masse.

In the latter half of the 1980s, the publishers wised up and started focusing on quality again, at which time the industry experienced a revolution of innovation and classics that are still played to this day. 1985, of course, saw the release of the Nintendo Entertainment System, a legendary date in video game history.

This is sort of what I see happening with MMORPGs, though the dynamics are slightly different. Eventually, they'll stop shoveling watered-down garbage out the door, because 90% of newly released MMORPGs are failing. More than that, eventually I hope casual gamers' tastes will turn away from MMORPGs, and there will be a resurgence in gamers who want deep, complex, challenging MMORPGs with plenty of freedom, independence and variety.

Currently Playing: EVE Online
    Retired From: UO, FFXI, AO, SWG, Ryzom, GW, WoW, WAR

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337

Originally posted by TwystedWiz

You took him out of context....

spin much?

Even in context it seemed to contradict. So maybe you should rewrite it?

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111

Beta test it.

• sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515

I don't want another EQ and if that's what you want go play it then its still alive. Everything down the pipe has been fashioned after EQ with added features and twists. I want something completely new and genre changing. I want a game that took my breathe away the first time I logged in to EQ. However, I don't want another damn EQ clone and I am sick and tired of Elves, Orcs, and fucking humans in MMO's

I play human every day and get enough stupidity surrounding me. How about some damn creativity with created races to submerse me into a virtual world. That's why the hell I play these games in the first place.

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

• Draco91Draco91 Member Posts: 134

I didn't scroll through all 5+ pages of replies here, so I might be re-stating something someone else has said.. but from the first two or three pages, I got a sense of "We need a grouping game with a great community, some challenge, and some roleplayability." I can't say there's one game that has all those things today (and I would like to see one that does), but there are separate games that have each of them. Final Fantasy XI is a very group-central game. It's difficult to do anything but fish and craft without a party. The game centers on teamwork. When I played, I played with a great linkshell, so the community wasn't bad; but outside of linkshells, the community is more about min-maxing than anything else. Don't get me wrong, I've had some fun conversations with some of my pick-up groups, but for the most part, you have the min-maxing raider mentality at all levels. There is virtually no roleplaying going on (unless you count taru punting and happy-go-lucky Mithras as roleplaying). To some it up, FFXI has the grouping and the challenge, but it only has the community if you want it to.

EQ2 has a great community that does roleplay, but leveling is closer to WoW, and can be done completely solo, although there are incentives to group (AA's). Grouping does happen, and often (I played on the RP server, Antonia Bayle), but it isn't required, and it doesn't happen everywhere; it is confined mainly to dungeons. It doesn't happen as often as classic EQ or Final Fantasy XI. But the community is there, and the grouping is halfway there.

Honestly I think FFXI (and maybe FFXVI, depending on how that turns out) is the closest we're going to get to a classic EQ. The biggest area where FFXI fails compared to classic EQ is the community. And Square can't do much more than it already has to make the game community-friendly. It's up to the players to do that.

"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional or disciplinary response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[2]" (Wikipedia.org, 8-24-09)

The best way to deal with trolls:
    http://www.angelfire.com/space/usenet/ [IGNORE THEM, THEY JUST WANT ATTENTION!]

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Originally posted by Eronakis

There won't be another EQ, the MMORPG genre is dead and for good.
    I'm playing WOW and keeping an eye on MO.

The genre is not dead. The community of the genre hold so high standards. For what?

Hihg standards to have what we had in 1999?

I mean the MMORPG genre. Now we just have MMOGs.

And I agree with Riklii, the next EQ is WOW. Sad but true.

I like WOW a LOT more than EQ, and i played EQ starting from beta. It is horrible to camp for 6 hrs and get NOTHING. That is the worse playing experience for me. We got to kill the mob only like a few times.

There is a reason why WOW is a lot more popular than EQ. It is more fun. You actually get to hack-n-slash in dungeons (which is what EQ is anyway .. hack-n-slash) .. then waiting in line. And it is not all or nothing. If you don't get the drop, you can still get badges to buy items.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I agree that it will all come around, enough casual style games crash and burn and some developer will decide to try something "different" and make a more challenging/difficult game.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TdogSkalTdogSkal Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Play EQ
    Stop playing MMORPG's.

lol.  These are the kind of players that ruined the genre for players like me and the OP and a ton of others in this thread.

Why should I change my playstyle to adapt to the games?   A game should be made for my playstyle not the other way around.

So are you one of those people that follow every trend because that is what your told to do?  

You do not change your playstyle to fit the game, that is not how it should work.  

Btw I am playing EQ, I love it, its fun but it is over 10 years old and I want some new lore and models and zones.  PERIOD. 

The old days will be back someday.  Trends always go full circle.

Sooner or Later

• TdogSkalTdogSkal Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by Anubisan

Despite what you might think, I doubt a lot of you would even play a game like EQ if someone were to develop one today. The gameplay mechanics are too outdated and slow-paced. Your feeling of love for that type of game comes from your memories of how that game made you feel...
    Unfortunately no game will ever make you feel that way again because the wonder and newness of MMORPGs as a whole has worn off. We are all very familiar with these types of games now. No new game can ever feel as new or interesting again simply because we have all been there and done that by now.
    The birth of the FPS genre was the same in many ways. Remember how cool Wolfenstein or DOOM were the first time you played them? I remember thinking "WOW! This game is actually in 3D!! How cool!?". And now there are a million new FPS titles every year and none of them have that same wow feeling no matter how visually stunning or innovative they are... We've been there and done that a million times.
    Believe me though, I feel your pain. I have felt this way about UO for a long time... I have never found a game that comes close to filling that void. I have just come to the realization that it will never happen. Its not that UO was perfect in any way... its that my own perception of it was amplified 100 fold because of the newness of the genre for me. In the same way, I don't think EQ was perfect in any way... you just can't replace it in your own mind because, at the time, it was the coolest thing ever for you...

I would play it, considering I am still playing EQ.   I also still play Wolfenstein because it is a fun game and I will be playing the new one when it is released.  

Sooner or Later

• billynomatesbillynomates Member Posts: 163

Speak for yourself,not 100s of 1000s who don't agree with you. Their are plenty of people who would still play the EQ1 type of mmorpg. You like easy mode then that's fine,just don't try to speak for everyone else.

• jayheld90jayheld90 Member UncommonPosts: 1,726
    Originally posted by heremypet

It seems like it's just never gonna happen. I've waited and waited for a decent MMO like classic EQ to come out, but all I see is one easymode MMO after another.
    Some people say "no one will play something like that anymore" but I so would!  I see people posting all the time about other games not living up to their EQ expectations too, so I know they're out there, waiting for it just like me.
    Of course SoE almost released a classic server, but instead made it one where you start out at level 50.  There was rumors of a VG vision server, but given their limited resources no one is holding their breath.
    I'm fresh out of ideas for what to do in the meantime.  I've tried all the EQ successors already, every last one of them is easymode.  I guess I could play baldur's gate again or something, maybe diablo2.. any suggestions?
    Yea, I've tried EVE and sure it's awesome, but space gets booooring =(

play vanguard, its about as close as you are going to get..

• wjrasmussenwjrasmussen Member Posts: 1,493
    Originally posted by TdogSkal

Play EQ
    Stop playing MMORPG's.

lol.  These are the kind of players that ruined the genre for players like me and the OP and a ton of others in this thread.

Why should I change my playstyle to adapt to the games?   A game should be made for my playstyle not the other way around.

So are you one of those people that follow every trend because that is what your told to do?  

You do not change your playstyle to fit the game, that is not how it should work.  

Btw I am playing EQ, I love it, its fun but it is over 10 years old and I want some new lore and models and zones.  PERIOD. 

The old days will be back someday.  Trends always go full circle.

If you want to be inflexible then stick to your standards. But this is one thing you must do if you do so.  You can't bitch about it later.

• Whipp555Whipp555 Member Posts: 31

I loved EQ and without date rate it as the best game i played..however is a lot of rose tinted views of how it actually was..

EQ was fantastic 1999 and for awhile after but mostly because it was so new an original to players they didnt have the modern MMO mentality that most of us now take for granted..

I spent my initial days in EQ working out how exactly to play and working out just how big the world was the point where meeting someone of another race and class was a discovery..and adventure..and I just did things for fun..at that time I had no idea what..

epic loot was..what raids were..what camping was...what a grind is..I had no idea and it didnt matter if i was lvl 5 or lvl 10...the EQ world was designed initially as what im waiting for a fantasy world...it had cities many races and difficult to discover secrets and quests...

but we changed....us...and so did the people developing content for us..

after a time MMo mentality almost treats these worlds as jobs..you expect x and y for the effort you put into them you expect to advance not go backwards for every precious minute you grace the developers with..you moan over paying them a measly 10 bucks a month when it costs you that to watch a single film in the cinema for 3 hours...

EQ changed by the advernt of the velious expansion and beyond they werent adding cities really..and worlds but started just throwing out raid zones and clear defined and tested group areas streamlining it..to the point where you log on LFG:.grind xp..get a phat loot and log..and thats what you (us) expected ever since..

Wow is the evolution of the shit EQ became..the original EQ was made fun because we were just to niave to play it like we would today...

• DoktorTeufelDoktorTeufel Member UncommonPosts: 413

One thing I don't miss about certain old-school games (or any game with this "feature") is standing around camping boss mobs sixteen hours a day for three weeks straight, then gambling on a 1% drop rate whenever you do manage to get a kill. I can deal with a huge level grind, I can deal with a quest line that's extremely difficult and frustrating, but good God almighty, camping is complete garbage.

There's no defending that crap. It's literally the same thing as watching paint dry, except watching paint dry is better because you won't miss a "pop" if you get up to grab a snack for five minutes.

I didn't play EQ, but I know very well that EQ has ginormous mega-camping, and I did play FFXI, which has the same thing (it might even be worse in FFXI).

Everything else about old-school is fine, except for that. Jesus Christ on a jetbike.

Currently Playing: EVE Online
    Retired From: UO, FFXI, AO, SWG, Ryzom, GW, WoW, WAR