Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Big incentive to join EVE Online starting today

Comments

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203

The reason autopilot isn't better than doing it manually should be pretty obvious.  It would be stupid to allow people to go afk and just pop on autopilot and be able to avoid every bit of danger along the way by instantly warping.  The trade off is done on purpose - it takes longer to have it done automatically, and if you do it yourself it takes less time and is safer.  How that doesn't "make sense" is beyond me, because it makes perfect sense.

• IlvaldyrIlvaldyr Member CommonPosts: 2,142
    Originally posted by fervor

Originally posted by Ilvaldyr
    Safety protocols; autopilot warps you in at 10km from a gate to prevent collisions with other ships in the area, whereas a pilot can fly by the seat of their pants and drop out of warp much closer to the gate. That's obviously a completely fake explanation, but it's pretty plausible. In space, no-one can hear you complain about restrictive health-and-safety.

Oh, man.  That was the explanation?  That makes no sense!!!!  If we're talking about spaceships equal in technology to what we have right now in real life, maybe I can understand.  But frick, the ships in EVE are far more advanced.  There is absolutely no way that a person's reflexes and ability to take in information can possibly compete with a supercomputer.

Anyways, why in heck can't the spaceship's autopilot fly from waypoint to gate to waypoint to gate, etc. (i.e. automate the process that players are doing to shorten the travel time).  It's not like we're manually doing anything so spectacular.

Bleh.  Now that I think about it, I'm surprised that traveling is still the same.  The trend lately is to reduce the agony of doing tedious things.  I can think of soooooo many ways to improve the traveling experience in that game.

Nah, that's not the "official" explanation (I don't even if know if there is one), but it's my explanation based on a thorough understanding of the ridiculous health-and-safety regulations; I can absolutely imagine a spaceship with a restrictive "super-safe" autopilot in the same way that we currently have cars capable of 200mph but speed limits of 30mph.

And I could just as easily imagine pilots breaking the speed limits by means of manual warp calculations.

Playing: EVE, Final Fantasy 13, Uncharted 2, Need for Speed: Shift
  • Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by JGMIII

Why the hell do you post if you onyl played the game ten minutes?
    After about 10 minutes in this game rookie chat informs you to never use Autopilot if you have the brain to ask.
    More blind hate its sad.

No, what's sad are fanatics like you who figure anyone who doesn't bow down and kiss the holy ass of EvE must somehow be doing something wrong.  Believe it or not, there are a lot of people who did try EvE, played for a long time and realized that it wasn't all that great of a game.  Some people don't like the world, some people don't like the focus, some people don't like the mechanics.

My comment in the "small world" was meant to reflect that the size of the universe, compared to the parts that you can actually interact with, is ridiculously small.  There are hundreds of planets that you can never land on.  The stations are all cookie-cutter.  You can't get out of your ship.  It's a fact that it does take forever to get anywhere unless you're just going a sector or two.  I've put my ship on autopilot and gone to watch TV while it flew, that's how long it takes.

What's sad is your fanatical devotion that has made you completely blind to reality.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

I too think that EVE has far too much downtime. I loved the game for the sandbox elements and the absolutely unparalleled amount of freedom and flexibility the game has to offer, but I just could not get over the mind-numbingly boring travel times and the extremely slow paced lower-level combat.

It honestly really bothers me that I was unable to stay interested in this game. I was so looking forward to a sandbox with this level of complexity. Unfortunately, I just don't have enough time to travel 20 jumps every time I lose a ship to purchase new equipment or 35 jumps to the next best mission system.

I know that the game is supposed to get much better once you are part of a large corporation, but the game is, in my opinion, quite agonizing until you reach that point. And considering the fact that it takes literally an entire year to gain enough SP to be truly useful, that is a long long time to not be enjoying a game...  Just my two cents.

• fervorfervor Member Posts: 145

Of course I used the tractor beams.  Unfortunately, the range on those suckers just wasn't long enough.  You still have to fly all over the place to pick up everything.  It's not like you zip from place to place either.  You slowly turn around, slowly accelerate, fly...slowly brake...then slowly get into tractor range to pick up canisters.  It doesn't have to be that painful, but it is.

And umm...I do have to admit that the traveling, looting and mining were major factors in why I stopped playing.  It does sound a bit shallow, I guess, hah.  I think the primary reason was that I picked another game over EVE, but it's been a while so I don't remember. 

For many people experiencing EVE for the first time, far too much time is spent doing these three things...traveling, looting, mining.  EVE does try to make the game more realistic...I understand that.  But sometimes picking realism over ease of gameplay is not the right choice.

Anyways, this is far, far off-topic.  Yes, my first post in this thread was whiny, but hey...that's my memory of my time with EVE.  Far too much tedium.

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

In the brief time I was subbed to Eve, I enjoyed it.    However, I would never go back until they get rid of open PvP FFA.    I realize it would radically change the game, but that's a deal-breaker for me.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by Interesting

For me to join EVE the only incentives I can think of now are:
    Gameplay change: Flight Model based on player skill + action based Elite/Freelancer model, with wasd+mouse, free flight, strafe vertical and horizontal , boost, engine kill/stop
    The way it is now, no way.

Yes, because multi-megaton ships, hundreds of meters long (if not actually several kilometers long) with ranged weapons that can hit at around 75+ kilometers could easily do all of those things.

Big clue:  They are not dinky little one-man fighters.  Most fights will be over well before you get a good look at each other.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by SwampRob

In the brief time I was subbed to Eve, I enjoyed it.    However, I would never go back until they get rid of open PvP FFA.    I realize it would radically change the game, but that's a deal-breaker for me.

Or at least allow people who don't want to participate to turn it off.  I realize this can be abused, which is why I think they ought to have a switch that you can only reset once a month.  You can either participate in PvP or you can't.  You don't get to pick "no" when you're up against people who can kill you, then set it to "yes" when you're ganking small fish.

Of course, you're right, it would piss off a lot of people in EvE, but that's one of the things it would take for me to ever go back.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• BuzWeaverBuzWeaver Member UncommonPosts: 978

Not a bad deal, however its not something I'd want to try.

The Old Timers Guild
    Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it. - Jef Mallett

• ThradarThradar Member Posts: 949
    Originally posted by Legato89

A Big Mac combo meal is less boring.

Haha.  I have to admit I LOL'd at this one.

• fervorfervor Member Posts: 145

Yes, it would mean a core change in the game to get rid of it.  That would never happen.

But what could happen is to make the game so players never have to go into areas that force them into FFA PvP.  Right now, It is possible to play EVE without ever doing any PvP at all.  If that's not enough, maybe the developers could create more content where FFA PvP is easily avoidable.  I could see that happening.  The developers have to understand that not everyone likes FFA PvP or taking the risks involved.

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293
    Originally posted by Caldicot

After about 10 minutes in this game rookie chat informs you to never use Autopilot if you have the brain to ask.
    More blind hate its sad.

I actually played for a couple months...but it was a while ago.  Why wouldn't I want to use autopilot?  You spend so much time traveling.  You're telling me that the game changed so much in the past year or something that I'd actually want to pay attention and manually control my ship during the agonizingly long travel times?

If it has changed that much, maybe it's worth revisiting.

He means that autopilot should only be used when afk or alt-tabbed, otherwise "Warp to within 0 m" is much faster.

QFT 22 jumps in 10 minutes or 22 jumps in an hour - 3 hours depending on ship type, thats the difference.

Originally posted by Cephus404

More blind hate its sad.

No, what's sad are fanatics like you who figure anyone who doesn't bow down and kiss the holy ass of EvE must somehow be doing something wrong.  Believe it or not, there are a lot of people who did try EvE, played for a long time and realized that it wasn't all that great of a game.  Some people don't like the world, some people don't like the focus, some people don't like the mechanics.

My comment in the "small world" was meant to reflect that the size of the universe, compared to the parts that you can actually interact with, is ridiculously small.  There are hundreds of planets that you can never land on.  The stations are all cookie-cutter.  You can't get out of your ship.  It's a fact that it does take forever to get anywhere unless you're just going a sector or two.  I've put my ship on autopilot and gone to watch TV while it flew, that's how long it takes.

What's sad is your fanatical devotion that has made you completely blind to reality.

As does your hatred. You dont like eve, thats fine and fair, however, its the only 2003 released game that is still growing and has surpased last years AAA releases with over 300,000 subs. That is not only a good game, but a financial succes. You are more than welcome to not like the game, but saying its not that great of a game, is an opinion, one that over 300,000 people disagree wtih you on.

As for the size of the world... its epic. You can go to any place in the system. No you cant land on a planet, but the sheer square footage that is available in every system is astounding. So the world isnt small... even if you only count the warpable locations (throwing out exploration and w-space which is easily 70% more content) its still bigger than any other mmo on the market.

Travel is also quite similar to other games, minues hearthing which one could argue a jump clone can counter. 22 jumps in under 10 minutes with warp to 0 on anything smaller than a bs. Come on now, flight paths in wow are longer than that.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Czzarre

EvE may not be an MMO for everyone, but it is a solid game. Ive long considered it one of the best games most players dont play. If you're sick of the standard MMO framework and need to break away, give it a good look

I sort of agree but i don't.Eve is a good game that i COULD like,but it is done on such a low end scale,that i just could not play it.

It is a game with a great idea,but it needed a REAL developer with a REAL budget,that could have taken the game to where it needed to go.

You do not have to change any of the ideas[except] for the way skills are learned/not learned/not earned,but the core ideas of the game are alright.The problem is that the game to reach it's full potential would take about 3-5 years more development,and a small guy like CCP,could not have afforded that in their production,so EVE is what they came up with.I know many are happy with the way it is,but there is some of us,who want and expect a lot more.

The whole game concept,if you break it down is a 4/5 in all areas,except of course skills/graphics and interactivity.Those are three pretty big areas that the game lacks,so it really does not measure up to the game it COULD have become.

Imagine,tons of ship interactivity with inside hauls and players moving around your ship.Imagine ships that take several players to navigate,so you get your whole guild involved with flying a massive ship.Imagine landing on planets ,fighting mobs on planets,exploring new planets ,building houses and factories on new planets.Imagine travel was actually interesting with lots of in space interactivity,not just warp drives from here to there.Imagine REAL space stations ,where you need players that are mechanics to fix and equip your ship.Imagine you need to build your weapons and your ships,so you need to forage resources to build your first ship,the potential for a long lasting game that forever changes would be enormous.I am only scratching the surface,there is SOoooooo much more that COULD have been done to make EVE a great game.

EVE is the little ship that wanted to be ,but isn't...sorry to say it for all the EVE fans,but it doesn't measure up.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Anubisan

I too think that EVE has far too much downtime. I loved the game for the sandbox elements and the absolutely unparalleled amount of freedom and flexibility the game has to offer, but I just could not get over the mind-numbingly boring travel times and the extremely slow paced lower-level combat.
    It honestly really bothers me that I was unable to stay interested in this game. I was so looking forward to a sandbox with this level of complexity. Unfortunately, I just don't have enough time to travel 20 jumps every time I lose a ship to purchase new equipment or 35 jumps to the next best mission system.
    I know that the game is supposed to get much better once you are part of a large corporation, but the game is, in my opinion, quite agonizing until you reach that point. And considering the fact that it takes literally an entire year to gain enough SP to be truly useful, that is a long long time to not be enjoying a game...  Just my two cents.

Just point out a few things. Yes you can jump around 35 jumps all over the place to replace a ship, or you can go 10  - 20 jumps to the market hubs (Jita, Rens, Amarr, Orsulaert, etc) and buy everything there.

Warp to 0 cuts down on 60% or more of your travel time.

As for agents, moving agents at the beginning can be a bitch, Ill give you that.

As for training time, I disagree on a year. One can be in a fully T2 fit frigate in about 2 weeks. Fully T2 fit Cruiser in about a month. Fully T2'd Battlecruiser in about 4 - 5 months, and a battleship will take you about 8 - 10 months. (this is total not cummulative, I.E. straight to BS 8 - 10 months).

I know that for a fact, cause my brother just started and it was 72 days to get him into a hurricane 100% T2 fit. The initial startup is a pain in the ass, no denying it, but you dont have to be in a T2 BS to compete. My brother was getting kills WITH us 4 hours after activating, and having an impact on the fight as a tackler. Yes he died frequently, but he also was able to lock fast as hell, and keep vet pilots around for us to engage after current targets had been killed.

The key thing to realize in eve is lateral growth. There are basically 5 levels to eve. Frigate, Cruiser, Battlecruiser, Battleship, and capitals. Any pilot can be maxed frigate in just a few weeks... meaning you can compete with other frigate pilots no matter how long their playing time. Obviously steps up take longer, just like it does in other games, but the benefit in EvE is knowing the day and the hour when one will reach a certain goal, and if RL kicks in, your arent left behind while your friends leave you in the dust.

I agree the game isnt for everyone, but there are quite a few misconseptions in this thread.

Of course I used the tractor beams.  Unfortunately, the range on those suckers just wasn't long enough.  You still have to fly all over the place to pick up everything.  It's not like you zip from place to place either.  You slowly turn around, slowly accelerate, fly...slowly brake...then slowly get into tractor range to pick up canisters.  It doesn't have to be that painful, but it is.

Looting can be a bitch.

Two alternatives.

#1 Bookmark each pocket of your mission. When done running it, head back and turn it in, then take a destroyer out (4 tractors 4 salvagers) with cap rechargers and an AB. Ship will then do somewhere around 500 - 800 ms, takes minutes to loot a level 4.

#2 Use a second account to follow you around in a destroyer as you do your missions. The time you save by running 2 will more than make up for the money cost in getting the account.

Level 4's make 25 million an hour if looted and salvaged, and thats a conservative estimate. Every 12 hours you make enough isk to pay for your alt account to follow you around. Break it down into 4 hours per week... and you have a cheap and affordable way to speed everything in eve up for yourself. GTC's currently run 305mill isk in jita last I checked.

• czechzombieczechzombie Member Posts: 27
    Originally posted by todeswulf

Yep especially if your IQ is below 84.

or if you have a life

Originally posted by Cephus404

Or at least allow people who don't want to participate to turn it off.  I realize this can be abused, which is why I think they ought to have a switch that you can only reset once a month.  You can either participate in PvP or you can't.  You don't get to pick "no" when you're up against people who can kill you, then set it to "yes" when you're ganking small fish.

Of course, you're right, it would piss off a lot of people in EvE, but that's one of the things it would take for me to ever go back.

Open pvp is pretty core element to eve, taking it out wont ever happen.

However there are many ways to make it damn near impossible for you to be ganked. If you are interested in learning shoot me a pm and Ill help yah out.

• tupodawg999tupodawg999 Member UncommonPosts: 724

Eve is a great niche game. The proof is in how it started small, stayed afloat and kept growing. If they try to make it mainstream then they'll probably mess it up. It makes much more sense (imo) for CCP to play it ultra-safe by keeping their existing player base happy and then using the solid financial base Eve gives them to try and create a stable of solid games for different audiences.

Potentially they could end up with a station pass type arrangement where they have a bunch of niche games all on the same subscription which collectively provide enough different playstyles to please (almost) everyone.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Originally posted by Czzarre

EvE may not be an MMO for everyone, but it is a solid game. Ive long considered it one of the best games most players dont play. If you're sick of the standard MMO framework and need to break away, give it a good look

I sort of agree but i don't.Eve is a good game that i COULD like,but it is done on such a low end scale,that i just could not play it.

It is a game with a great idea,but it needed a REAL developer with a REAL budget,that could have taken the game to where it needed to go.

You do not have to change any of the ideas[except] for the way skills are learned/not learned/not earned,but the core ideas of the game are alright.The problem is that the game to reach it's full potential would take about 3-5 years more development,and a small guy like CCP,could not have afforded that in their production,so EVE is what they came up with.I know many are happy with the way it is,but there is some of us,who want and expect a lot more.

The whole game concept,if you break it down is a 4/5 in all areas,except of course skills/graphics and interactivity.Those are three pretty big areas that the game lacks,so it really does not measure up to the game it COULD have become.

Imagine,tons of ship interactivity with inside hauls and players moving around your ship.Imagine ships that take several players to navigate,so you get your whole guild involved with flying a massive ship.Imagine landing on planets ,fighting mobs on planets,exploring new planets ,building houses and factories on new planets.Imagine travel was actually interesting with lots of in space interactivity,not just warp drives from here to there.Imagine REAL space stations ,where you need players that are mechanics to fix and equip your ship.Imagine you need to build your weapons and your ships,so you need to forage resources to build your first ship,the potential for a long lasting game that forever changes would be enormous.I am only scratching the surface,there is SOoooooo much more that COULD have been done to make EVE a great game.

EVE is the little ship that wanted to be ,but isn't...sorry to say it for all the EVE fans,but it doesn't measure up.

There is nothing wrong with EVE's skills, graphics or even interactivity.  They might not be to your liking, but they are well implemented and work well within the scope of the game.

As for your wish list of interactivity, notice, STO flirted with it, and then dumped it. JE isn't going to bother to try to do it either.

SWG, backed by the resources of SOE gave a go of it, but it proved to be too much to tackle and the game suffered as a bug filled, incomplete MMO that never was able to really be completed.

What you suggest is too massive an undertaking for any one game, the resources you speak of could only be done by a company like Blizzard, and they'll never make a great world like EVE is.

So many players fail to understand EVE. They don't realize there are skills you can train to improve travel times as well as tactics you can employ to group your agents and what not together to reduce your travel times.   In 0.0 space and low sec you can use jump freighters and carriers to cross vast distances of space in an instant.

You can also build a jump bridge network to enable members of your alliance fast travel all around the areas of space you control.

Titans can actually transport a fleet with them. 

Travel time in EVE is not just a timesink designed to frustrate players, it is a strategic element that can play a huge part in the gameplay including large scale fleet battles. 

Everything in EVE is designed this way, but many newer players fail to see it. 

People think EVE is a FFA PVP game.  Its not.  No really, its not.

It has FFA PVP areas, especially out in 0.0, but in both low and high sec space in Empire there are consequences built in the game which can result in players being banned from entering Empire to active intervention by the game's police force "Concord" who will not necessarily prevent you from dying, but will exact retribution on your behalf.

Yet there are many ways to die in Empire. Your corp/alliance can be wardec'd (you can avoid this by staying in NPC corps) or you can have your jet can flipped, or a suicide gank might happen if you are too slow on the gates (stay away from autopilot) or you can even duel if you like. (see can flipping).

PVP is such a complicated thing in EVE, and not nearly the gank fest many players percieve it to be. 

You most certainly will die sometimes in EVE, but you can minimize those deaths and learn that its not really a big deal if you die, just grab another ship and keep going.

Skill training is a thing of beauty, and I'd have to create an entire post to describe their genius.  Maybe another day.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Legato89Legato89 Member Posts: 297
    Originally posted by todeswulf

Yep especially if your IQ is below 84.

Because you strain your eyes staring at a glorified Excel spreadsheet and feel intelligent you regard anyone else who sees this shiny piece of fecal matter as a person with a low IQ? Hah.

• markyturnipmarkyturnip Member UncommonPosts: 837
    Originally posted by Palebane

Originally posted by Pyrostasis

5 bucks for 37 days of game time cant be beat imo.

IMO free beats $5 for 37 days.

and being payed to play would beat free

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852
    Originally posted by Josher

Originally posted by ZorakGhostal

Anybody happen to know how big the client download is?

How big is a screen saver nowadays? 

HAHA.. this is the funniest sentence ever..   EVE is a screensaver   LoL  So true it hurts !

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
    "The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111

It's still a RMT supported game.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Samuraisword

It's still a RMT supported game.

Sort of.  You don't buy ISK from CCP, you buy it from other players in the game, who sell it to you for game time cards, which they use to pay their subs.

Does not really fit the true definition of RMT.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon