Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is FFXI the game for me?

RavenmgsRavenmgs Member Posts: 155

I’m currently wondering if I should just bite the bullet and join one of the main stream MMO’s. I’m really not considering WOW after what Blizzard did to me with Diablo 2. Which narrows it down to FFIX and EQ2. What I’m not looking forward to is having to make new friends, I just quit AO after 3 years and I’m really just feed up with the crap they make their players put up with, so I’m done with them, and I was thinking about quitting mmo’s altogether until I realize that I now had around 5- 10 hours a day I had no clue what to do with. So, I’m thinking about Saga of RYZOME, FFXI and EQ2. I personally have played EQ2 and FFXI.

I really enjoyed EQ2 during the beta testing I did, quest were fun, I enjoyed the voice acting and generally messing around. I never made it past level 20, but I was never able to find a decent guild that used team speak. Being a MMO vet I know that it’s pretty important for a guild that is aspiring to be some what successful in high level situations, I know that team speak, ventrilo, or some kind of voice communication is important response time wise.

I played FFXI briefly when it first came out in the states on PC, but I was really turned off by the lack of English speaking players and lack of English servers. Being pitted in a world where there is a Japanese based, pre-existing market wasn’t exactly my idea of fun. This kind of made all the American players scattered and sparse over the servers, making it very hard to find a cool guild.

Basically what it boils down to is I don’t mind grinding ( after playing AO nothing really feels like grinding *ugh*) I like team based game play, I like quest, I like big worlds and I don’t want to reach the top level over night. However there are a few things that I really would like,

1. First is a good steady flow of content and lack of cookie cutters. I absolutely hate every high level person wearing the exact same crap

2. Variety of stuff to kill, I killed the same god damn rock monster 3 months in a row around 10 hours a day to go from 200 to 220 on AO, I don’t want a repeat of this.

3. Some good guild selection. The problem with allot of mmo’s I’ve played is there always seems to be a few high level guilds that really like screwing other people over. Is it is easy to find a good guild?

That’s about it, I really can’t tell allot that separates FFXI and EQ2 other then the perspective community, mob grinding and equipment. They both come off as classic EQ classic style team based “Q(attack key) afk” games. If any one has any advice let me know.
null

Comments

• stsestse Member Posts: 34

I find the if you like partying, then you should definitely consider FFXI over EQ. The only downside to that is that FFXI basically forces parties after a certain level in order to progress with the game. You can solo, but you need to be higher level than the monsters that you will be fighting. I wouldn't say there are a lack of English speaking players, I have seen a lot of English speaking players on the servers, so I never had a problem communicating. You could also try to use the auto-translating mechanism in the game.

There are tons and tons of quests to do in FFXI, some you can do by yourself, and most probably with a party is better. There are also missions that you need to do for your country (realm).

One thing that you may not like is that you basically fight the same TYPE of monster over and over. Like at level 5-7, you fight Pugils, and when you are level 17, you fight ugils again (just higher leveled) and at level 22-25 you fight pugils again. And the models don't change. They look exactly the same. So there isn't much variety of monsters that parties like to fight. Even some of the quest bosses are just same models as the normal monsters. No difference in color.

Atleast EQ2 has a good variety of monster models. I haven't played it, but I have seem people play it, and it seems like a better and faster paced game that FFXI. But I like what I have seen. You should try to consider WoW. I hear it is really good and fun. You can do a lot of things.

It's not a bug in the software, it's a feature =).

It's not a bug in the software, it's a feature =).

• RavenmgsRavenmgs Member Posts: 155

Originally posted by stse

One thing that you may not like is that you basically fight the same TYPE of monster over and over.

Thanks for the info, this is the exact thing i'm trying to get away from in AO. Dissapointing but still good info to have, thanks ^_^.

• a warning I have about WoW is that there are already ppl that are almost max level... I play it on the side and have already seen people in their mid to high 50's

If EQ2 is fast paced like WoW I would be concerned that there are ppl already the same way.

• BigfootBigfoot Member Posts: 364

You might want to also note that Soloing is a defiantely impossible thing to do. You WILL need to group with people to advance in levels, and I've heard that sometimes finding a group on FFXI can sometimes be a very hard thing to do.

Looking for something new.

• CrushwolfCrushwolf Member Posts: 2
    Well, I played FF XI, didnt really like it, for many of the reasons just metioned.  If you want something pretty intense, and that is impossible to grind, why not try out EVE.  It has its quarks, and I dont know if your into the Sci-Fi stuff, but its been the best MMO I have played, except for EnB.  I have tried SWG image, FF XI, the Realm, EnB, and now I play EVE.  Just a different look.

• IplayffxinowIplayffxinow Member Posts: 14

I have played FFXI for about 5-6 months and I have played EQ2 for about a month, and I would have to say I liked FFXI more. In FFXI, since you always needed a group it was easy to find a group of people that you fit in with. I would level on my 14 WHM and some guy who has a level 40 RDM but is deciding to level his BLM around my level was helpful because they could give you tips on what and what not to do. Lots of people have linkshells, just go in a group and ask for a shell and find a group of people that you like. I found a small linkshell with about 7-10 people that I got pretty close too and they helped me with all sorts of stuff. In EQ2 I haven't really found much of that because the game was just released and your probably going to be doing the finding out on your own. If you don't care about the grind I'd still go with FFXI because you'll really get into the missions at later levels.

what is a link shell?

There are really two elements I look for when playing a MMO, first being community. I want some people in the same time zone to be able to forum a pretty good relationship with and have fun having adventures with in the game. The second is character creation, I really haven’t found any games that have satisfactory character creation so I’m looking for something that satisfies me community wise.

• PsycosisPsycosis Member Posts: 362

linkshell.. basically what they call a guild in this game.. cos you equip this shell thing, and it links ya to a chat.

There is no solo element to this game, so if your the sorta person that either goes out alot with your friends, or are in a European time zone you will not get far in the game as its completely group reliant and hard to get a group untill all the people in USA get home from work school and collage.. there were times i've waited 3 hrs nd didn't get a group.. there are also times when i have logged on and got a group and played for hours... tho generally only when i had a broken leg and i was doing whatever was that the case.

It can be a very rewarding game, and there are some great linkshells... but u need alot of time and patients, and you need to find a really good ls.. and with a game filled with alot of young players who really dont know what they are doing, it can be quite hard to do so for a while.

You said you enjoyed the EQII beta... I didn't reaally... I much prefer EQ1, i've plyed quite a few mmorpgs, and i still think that was the best, and i did enjoy a lot of the time i spent playing FFXI, i just don't have the time to put into that.. or any other mmorpg right now...

But wht do you expect when your making music for a new mmorpg fps amoungst having busy social life.

Was that a thought I just had, or and echo of a thought I was thinking of having?
    --------------------------------------------
    HQ II - Music Producer
    Game info Classified* - Music Producer
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/cannibalpsycosismusic.htm
    *This means i could tell you what game it is i am working on... but i would have to kill you lol

Was that a thought I just had, or and echo of a thought I was thinking of having?
    http://www.soundclick.com/wizard-sleeve
    I produce music, DnB, Trance, Metal Fusion, RaP and whatever i feel like. You might like it
    http://www.nexusradio.co.uk - Online radio promoting unsigned artists

I really have no plans to solo level at any point. I would be suprized that if at some point when i've got a max level toon that I can't solo some of the lower mobs for loot to sell or put on new toons. I live in USA central time zone. Its sounding good, thanks for all the info every body!

• Nimrod4154Nimrod4154 Member Posts: 864
    My real problem was not being able to solo. Some days I would spend 2 hours in that beach zone(I forgot the name...)trying to fight crabs for exp but I couldnt fight them without a 5 person group so Id spend 3 hours trying to get one. I basically got tired of making such a small amount of exp because of people leaving or not finding a group. I think the game just needs a bigger population but I definately think this game will improve over time.

Games Played:DoAC, EQ, CoH, Lineage 2, Planetside, Shadowbane, EQ2, EVE, WoW Beta
    Playing:(Waiting to buy WoW)

• SuaveSuave Member Posts: 150

Honestly, you sound like you'd be a lot more interested in City of Heroes.  CoH is much easier to either find a team or solo by yourself.  You will NEVER fight the same for more than 1 hour at a time, UNLESS you're on a Task Force mission which requires you to fight the same group of villains through different objectives over a few hours.  HOWEVER, I can tell you, from experience, that it is MUCH easier to level in City of Heroes than it is in FFXI.  You can always find a group or even a Supergroup (the equivilant of a Linkshell in FFXI, a Supergroup is the large clan/community of CoH) that is to your liking and has the same interests as you, not to mention time zone.  AND, as for high levels wearing all the same stuff, never the case here.  Why you ask?  Because NO ONE wears the same stuff in City of Heroes.  You make your costume at the begging, FULLY customizable, billions of different combinations, and you can also earn multiple costumes or the ability to change your costume's appearance later on in the game, so you won't get tired of wearing the same old thing.

Just an honest man's opinion, but you sound like someone who'd like City of Heroes... a lot!  So if you're into fast packed, real time fighting, super-powered action, then stop reading this and go get yourself a copy of CoH right now!  While you're at it, be sure to drop by on the Virtue server (biggest and best in CoH) and send a tell over to the 'Cerulean Sphere'.  I'd be glad to show you the ropes.  If you have any more questions (whether about CoH or FFXI) then don't hesitate to send me a PM as well.  Hope this helped!

-Suave

• Ranma13Ranma13 Member Posts: 747

Heh, Suave, you sound like you might like CoH more than he would :).

• SuaveSuave Member Posts: 150

Too true, and don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to hate on FFXI, it's a great game.

I just realize that choosing an MMO to put time and effort into (not to mention lots of money) is a big choice for some.  Just want to give people considering playing MMOs as many different views as they can get before making a decision.