Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What was your very first PC ever?

Comments

• PerjurePerjure Member UncommonPosts: 250

I think it was an Osborne - was in a suitcase type deal

• AxeionAxeion Member UncommonPosts: 418

c 64 an tape deck, an i still own it. doesnt work but tho.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." — Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant (1933)

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Nice to see so many people got to enjoy the good ole' C-64. A real gem of a machine, I have to say. I still miss mine.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

My first PC that belonged exclusively to myself I actually got just back on 2007. I ordered one of those refirbished Emachines off tigerdirect. Came with the speaker system I still use today, but that's about all that stayed the same. Eventually I got a 8800, put it in. Then I got a samsung syncmaster 21 or 22', used that. Then I got more ram, so upped from 512 to 4 gigs. Then I finally updated from the dumb single core to a Q6600.

Bought myself a Asus P5ND gaming mobo, then a new cooling fan so I could OC the 6600 to 3.0. After that, the 8800 wasn't strong enough to run a couple games I had just gotton. So I upgraded to a 4850, then bought a gaming tower with LED fans and a 600watt psu. Then figured what the hell, and boght a 1st gen G15 keyboard, and MX revolution gaming mouse

Now I look back and just go damn.... With all that i've replaced, If I just kept the origional parts i'd have 2 PC's haha. But it was worth it in the long run beacuse this was a good 2 years to get where I am at now. And I was not going to wait over a year just to slowly buy 1 peice of the puzzle waiting to finally be able to turn on the screen.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

An old Compaq Presario before HP bought Compaq.

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

First I bought myself was a Micron P133 with a whopping 32 megs of ram (The ram alone cost me $1500.00 at the time).  First I built myself was a PII 233mhz that I OC's to an amazing 266mhz.

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

dating the crap out of myself, but my first computer was something called an Adam computer. I think it was made my colleco-vision?

Anyways, it didn't have a disk drive, it used tapes....omg it took forever to load anything.

My next was an Atari 800XL, where i played my first PC games.

My all-time favorite: Ultima IV

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• purewitzpurewitz Member UncommonPosts: 489
    Originally posted by Wharg0ul

Commodore VIC 20. Had to type the games in manually out of a book, and then spend another hour debugging them.
    No, I'm not kidding.
    I was stoked to upgrade to a C64 eventually....with a tape drive (Press "Play" On Tape 1). From there, I upgraded the C64 with a 5 1/4" disk drive, a mouse, multiple controllers of course, PC Geos (early pre-DOS OS), a 300bps modem, and a tiny hard disk drive.
    And played the fuck out of Wasteland, and a bunch of good old-school games. I also began my internet trolling career, on the local college BBS.
    From there, an IBM PS2 (Mean Streets, Space Quest, etc)....and the rest is history.
    PC gamer for LIFE!

I typed a few games out of 3-2-1 Contact the kid's science magazine, for my C64.  Most fo them weren't that great. I remember once, one was a simple bowling game. Its was fun to do though, cause for a time I wanted to grow up to be a computer programmer.

When we get back from where we are going, we will return to where we were. I know people there!

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

386 dx/16 was my first

• adrianemeryadrianemery Member Posts: 250

1st computer was a BBC model B by acorn computers and then my first "PC" was an Acorn Archimedes.in 1987.

Didn't come over to windows based PC's until 1999.

• sweetdreamssweetdreams Member UncommonPosts: 190

It was Windows ME bought from Circuit City. That's all I pretty much remember.

• sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515

An Apple II and a Radio Shack TRS-80 then it was an Atari 800 and the blessed Commodore 64.

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

• EethereanEetherean Member Posts: 94

I don't remember the first computer of my house but i remember it used big casette tapes and i used to try to put them in our stereo to see if it would play anything X-).

But I do remember we have one of the original apple computers back when steve woz was still building them out of his garage.

On the serial number it says something like 0000004.

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

My first was an Amstrad 464.  

• hogscraperhogscraper Member Posts: 322

Tandy 1000

First game I remember playing was Pyramid which was a qbert clone or maybe Janitor Joe

• TsnowTsnow Member Posts: 74

A Vic 20 with tape deck. I remeber I had to write the code for every game I played

"One word, Thundercougarfalconbird."

• neschrianeschria Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

I had a TI 99/4A. I was hot stuff-- I had the cassette drive and the speech synthesizer. I remember playing Alpiner, Hunt The Wumpus, Return to Pirate's Isle (and a couple of other adventure games along those lines), and I got to be pretty proficient in TI-BASIC, too.

My first IBM compatible computer was an 8088. I spent a lot of time playing an adventure game called Shogun.

This is where I draw the line: __________________.

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335

I had a TRS-80, back before I upgraded to a C-64 with a tape drive.

Man, that first 5-1/4 inch drive was so awesome when I finally managed to save up the money for it.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• Hammertime1Hammertime1 Member Posts: 619

A Commodore 64 was my first PC, with my first game for it being Ultima III. This was back in 1983.

• JimmyLegsJimmyLegs Member Posts: 361

I honestly dont remember the make and model but what I do remember it was a desktop, DOS prompt 100%, and I clearly remember putting in the floppy disk and typing out the command line to play Museum Madness. That was awesome back in the day.

I use to know a lot of DOS, but as time went on and the making of the GUI I really didn't need it any more.

• blackdogblackdog Member UncommonPosts: 33

Commodore 64     Jumpman and M.U.L.E. both great games.

then followed by the C128, Amiga 2000 (which I still have actually)

I did not jump on the M$ machines until the release of Quake which required a PC for those all to frequent  all weekend long lan parties.

• EbenEmaelEbenEmael Member Posts: 334

The first computer that I bought was a 4.77 MHz IBM XT. It had a memory expansion board and a video card with a video out that connected to my TV. CGI graphics on a 27" TV. This was around 1984.

The first computer that I used was a DEC PDP-11 in 1976. It had a wapping 64k of memory.

• neumneum Member UncommonPosts: 143

TI 99-4A

• EbenEmaelEbenEmael Member Posts: 334
    Originally posted by neum

TI 99-4A

That computer had some features that were ahead if its time. TI screwed up by not letting other companies develop software for it.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

TRS-80 with 16K of RAM memory and a Radio Shack cassette player for a storage device.

My first RPG was on that box, a fun little game called Dungeons of Daggorath.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_of_Daggorath

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon