Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A real, honest review...

Comments

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

It really depends on your playstyle.

Can you let your computer run the game 24 hours a day, 7 days a week? For weeks and months? If so, then this might be a good game for you.

That's the main draw - AFK leveling. If you can let it do the leveling on its own, you can then do the fun parts actively. If you can't, then it's almost certainly not for you, you won't be able to reach parts of the game.

I tried, for months. I got 40% to expert (the highest level) in about a year. If you AFK 24/7 in a cash shop area, you can get there in under a month, I guess. But I just couldn't - my internet connection isn't that great, and I have other things to do with my computer than run a game all the time.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• coruncorun Member Posts: 61
    Originally posted by trancejeremy

I tried, for months. I got 40% to expert (the highest level) in about a year. If you AFK 24/7 in a cash shop area, you can get there in under a month, I guess.

I am playing the sGE english Version and if you buy the 100% EXP buff plus if you AFK in Premium Zones you can get from Veteran to Expert in 1-2 weeks of 24/7 leveling. Depending on your team setup obviously. In my case I had a Fighter (dual pistols), Romina (Rifle) plus Catherine. Catherine did nothing, standing outside aggro range. So basically only 2 chars were killing. Took me 1,5 Weeks. I think that is a decent progress rate.

In some other thread here someone mentioned that on the American and Euro Servers you get even more exp than on sGE Servers. Not sure if that's true though.

• PrintscreenPrintscreen Member UncommonPosts: 100

I played the singapore version in beta and got the limited edition, etc, etc plus got around 7 characters to expert including a fighter, healer, wizard, bernelli, romina, catherine, and that healer that came with the edition box i forget her name (she has brown hair). 

So that basically says I have experience and know what I'm stating.

This game has one of the prettiest graphics ever, despite not being able to force AA on it, it still looks pretty. However, as this has ONE HUGE FLAW:

You don't play Granado Espada (or Sword of the New World for NA version), Granado Espada plays you.

(lol)

• reimarureimaru Member Posts: 228

the female rnpc was Emilia

if you're a causal player,let's say 4-6 hours a day, it'll take you 4-6 months till you reach expert level

of course this doesn't include the combat manuals at premium dungeons

• rcareyrcarey Member Posts: 63

Well, so far so good. I have looked at this game for a long time and contemplated playing it. Now, as i sit here bored and wanting to try a new game i think this is the way for me to go. I am a casual player so taking a few months to level is perfect for me. It gives me the opportunity to get to know the game at my own pace. Thanks for the info!

~i'd rather be forgotten than remembered for giving in~

another good part here is you can collect all the rnpcs in the game

although some requires premium items, but you can get one from players

• Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

I would say this is about as balanced and honest I could find. I still think this review is to generous for Sword though.

http://rr.pc.ign.com/rrview/pc/sword_of_the_new_world_granado_espada/879263/107181/

• shhwolf17shhwolf17 Member Posts: 146

I do not have a great computer but when downloading this game, and getting a chance to play it, I was so surprised with how beautiful the graphics were and barely any lag.  I loved the idea of playing as characters during the "french revolution"-looking time and even more, each class was so unique.  My favorite class was the scout, with its heal and duel-welding ability.  I mean really I couldn't play it all day long (too repetitive to me) but with each time I played, watching the gameplay and how beautiful it was made, it was pretty mesmerizing and all that.  I guess you could say, I was more in love with the graphics and uniqueness of the classes (how each class were important in the battles) rather than the gameplay and storyline and whatever else that mattered in a RPG...

i remember Adam Sessler from XPlay made a review for SotNW

and he gave it a 4/5

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

So you afk level in the premium areas for a few weeks, your a veteran now....then what?

Doesnt sound all that fun if i have to pay to afk...isnt the point of these games to play them to progress?

It actually only takes a couple weeks to a month to get to veteran (100) if you use a cash shop area.

Then it takes 1-3 months in a cash shop area to get to expert (110) (Can be less if you can solo your character instead of having 3).

So what do you do once you have these characters? Raid, mostly. This game does have a number of fairly entertaining raids.

The downside of that is, none of the raids are instanced. So you have to compete with others for them.

Anyway, the game really is meant for people who are busy, but have good internet, so can afk all the time. (In Korea, there's a web application that you can monitor your character's afking, while at work or whatever). For people like that, it's quite good. For people who play games, not so much.

well in the future patch, they'll be adding instanced raids for the causal players..

the only instanced raid i know is  the Chataeu de Borgne something raid for V 3.4

the downside is, you can only enter it once a day

3.4? Coming to Sword in 2023, probably.

(Okay, I think it's actually supposed to hit sometime next year, but I wouldn't count on it...)

• piithpiith Member Posts: 95

I guess with 90% of those play the game are AFK leveling, that may explain why there really is no IN game comunnity for Newbie's.

I just started  playing the game 4 days ago . . so far I get the impression, your expected to just AFK it till your Expert. I have a better chance  winning the  lottery then getting any in~Game  assistance ( And I do not even play the lottery).

Now on the official forums, very helpful and quick response to any questions, I mean in Minutes there is a answer. I like that

But in game totally the opposite.  If you have friends already in game that is a big plus. If you can hook up with the right crowd right away awesome . .  wish I did

well that's the sucky part in sotnw, but if the gms provide weekly gm events, players will be encouraged to participate and lessen their afk sessions

• EvenfallEvenfall Member Posts: 6

The problem is that there's no place where you can check for notices concerning SotNW, so you have no idea if there will be an event and if you where busy while the event was on, most probably thing is you'll never get to do the event ever again, most people just open GE, find a spot with good respawn, hit spacebar and disappear for 12 hours, come back and see their XP bar move 5% out of 100%...XP bars are now fixed so that 1 Lvl @ vet needs 100% xp...you need 10 lvls to lvl up to Expert (10 bars of 100% xp) just make some maths....and that's just for Vet, expert is even worse because your chars are so high level that the usual areas are worthelss and if you don't have decent weapons with good mods you'll go nowhere.

Take in mind levels will be like this on the future:

Veteran lvl 100-110

Expert lvl 110-120

Master lvl 120-130

Grand Master lvl 130-140

I think Im still missing 1 promotion because max lvl is 150, each scroll to promote a character must be bought with gold (altough you can buy them with Vis if someone is willing to sell them, I think current price for Veteran Scrolls is 100 gold, Expert 150 gold (500 gold = 5 dollars)

I think the game is just meant for a certain crowd, people who can play only a few hours a day, but can afk for long time periods.

College kids are perhaps the best, they can play more often. But also I guess people who work. They can afk while at work or while asleep, then do the fun stuff while they are active.

But for more active players, it's not so great.

And actually, unless things have changed since I quit, the best weapons in the game (until expert) are the ones you get from polishes. Armor was really the issue for me, at least

• Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

College student here with not much time to play.  Still not a good game for me imo. There was nothing to do when I DID have time to play. Just PvP and more grinding. There was virtually no variety in the game. The quests were for the most part just more grinding too. 

I like games that have a wide variety of things to do when you actually get the chance to play them. FFXI is a good example of that. You can grind for years and years non stop in that game and not have every job at 75, BUT you can also do so much more so many quests, missions, ranks, events,  6 different storylines each with over 40 missions. There is a HUGE variety of things to do. And then on top of that end game is  very varied too. You have Dynamis, you got Nyzule Isle, Limbus, HNMLS Camping, you could get all the gear from Campaign battles. I mean the list goes on. There is variety and a TON of it. Thats what makes that huge grinding game great. If sword just added a massive amount of things to do other than grind, I wouldnt care there was a huge grind because I could grind when I want to and do other things when I dont want to grind. As sword stands a Expert who never touched a single quest can finish every quest in the game in 3-4 days if he tried. That is not variety. 

• denzleedenzlee Member Posts: 1

Let me give you my review after almost 2 years of playing.

First of all the difference in this game is that you can select a team of max. 3 characters to play with. At this moment i have around 35 different characters to choose from and i still havent collected them all so theres plenty of choice. You start out with 4 character slots but more can be added later. You can also do quests to earn unique characters wich can be added.

Grinding is essential to level up quickly yes, but the game has a sort of AFK system which lets you grind on when you need to go:).This is ideal for players like me because i have a job, 2 year old kid running around, gf etc etc. I play active with my friends and leave my toons do their job when i go out. Dont think its a guarantee for survival though because the characters can still die when you are AFK so you might wanna put a healer in your team to support your dps characters and find a good spot on the map so you dont get dragged away too far by mobtrains from passing players.

Currently the highest level is 120 with an update coming out "soon" probably January which will raise the cap to 130. I reached veteran level (lvl 100) after I played the game for about 3 months, nowadays it takes me less than a week to level up a character to level 100. Lvl 100 is also when the fun starts. Sure there are many quests to do before lvl 100 and characters to add but most of the raids require veteran+ levels.

Graphics are great, I play on a laptop with integrated graphics and there is not a single game that runs as smoothly as SOTNW. It took me some time to get used to the baroque style because its different from the usual ancient japanese or knight themes you find in hundreds of other games but I really appreciate it now.

There is not much chat going through the world so as a new player you might sometimes feel that everyone is quiet but this totally changes when you enter a clan and make friends. So joining a clan is a good idea!

For those who like pvp theres plenty to do also, like pvp events during several times a day and weekly clan battles to gain control over map areas. Or if you are on a pvp server go out and find your enemies and give them a whooping:) There is a penalty for pking outside wars etc so i suggest you think before you start killing ppl. Or just wait till there are AFK heheh.

The game is free to play and has a cash shop. Most of the cash shop items can be sold ingame to other players so theres a good balance i think. Theres nothing in the cash shop you actually "need" to advance.

Theres lot more ingame like upgrading equipment, raids, politics,crafting, pets,stances etc but its late and im done typing for now :P I just wanted to share my experience sofar for those thinking about trying the game.

• ThegoodlolThegoodlol Member CommonPosts: 64

Playing this game was a matter of logging in, choosing a decent spot than afking. That's not fun if you actually want to play the game. Also, the fact that your characters won't pick any drops, doesn't help . I had a musketeer but I had to give up on him because I didn't have enough money to buy him amo for his riffle. It' also seems to be a very quiet world, it's like you're playing alone... Everyone is afk all the time... You will hardly find someone to party with. I remember there were PvP rooms on the first town but there was nobody to fight against. I think it's a good game if you just like to log in and let your characters play it for you, but  not if you just want to play it yourself,

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

You guys ever heard of Progress Quest?.. Well this game is just a graphical version of it.

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

Sword suffers from quite a few different issues that kept it from becoming a mainstream title.

1. The grind - This really is all that sword is about. One massive grind that you will never finish. You will always be grinding a new toon, for cash, drops, etcs.
    2. Gear - A few people touched on gear, but didnt really cover it in detail. Sword is a pvp game that is extremely gear dependent. And when I say gear dependent I mean if Player A has a full suit of badass gear he can annihiliate 10+ opponents with substandard gear....simply because his defense rating is so high you cant reliably hit him, while he one shots you.
    3. Content denial - Sword is based around colony wars and raids end game. However, on each server pretty much one clan and their "Pets" own everything. The raids are non instanced, so if you arent in THE clan on the server you are pretty much stuck paying for the items from these guilds at insane prices. These guilds also dump quite a bit of money into the cash shop on a weekly basis to keep their funds up. Allowing them to burn items till they get the perfect +8
    4. One shot pvp - Do you enjoy dying instantly with out having any chance at all to react? No? Well then you just might wnt to stay away from sword. When you start out most people are going to be able to one shot your entire team. After a few months of grinding you might be able to get to a gear point where you cant be one shot... but even then it many times comes down to who gets their ability off first. This is not a fun pvp system.
    5. Finally K2 is quite possibly the worst development company of all time. Originally the game was P2P, then on the second month of release RIGHT after people paid their monthly fee they switched to a F2P system with no warning or community notification till after the fact, and they refused to refund subscription fees they had just charged. Later one of the lead producers claimed that they had discussed this in depth with the community and everyone was cool with it from the get go....pretty much a bold faced lie. When it was brought up, threads were locked, folks were banned. K2 never communicated prior to releasing patches... you never knew if a patch was going to come in, or if it was just a normal maintenance. K2 would promise something was coming soon, and then 8 months later half of what they promised would sneak in.

Did I mention that they do their server maint at prime time, and when asked to move it to a more reasonable hour like every other mmo they basically told players to get boned?

Yes SOTNW is a pretty game, but the community (whats left of it) is poor, and other than having a game that will play itself hours upon hours at a time, its not worth your time.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by Pyrostasis

Sword suffers from quite a few different issues that kept it from becoming a mainstream title.

The grind - This really is all that sword is about. One massive grind that you will never finish. You will always be grinding a new toon, for cash, drops, etcs.
    Gear - A few people touched on gear, but didnt really cover it in detail. Sword is a pvp game that is extremely gear dependent. And when I say gear dependent I mean if Player A has a full suit of badass gear he can annihiliate 10+ opponents with substandard gear....simply because his defense rating is so high you cant reliably hit him, while he one shots you.
    Content denial - Sword is based around colony wars and raids end game. However, on each server pretty much one clan and their "Pets" own everything. The raids are non instanced, so if you arent in THE clan on the server you are pretty much stuck paying for the items from these guilds at insane prices. These guilds also dump quite a bit of money into the cash shop on a weekly basis to keep their funds up. Allowing them to burn items till they get the perfect +8
    One shot pvp - Do you enjoy dying instantly with out having any chance at all to react? No? Well then you just might wnt to stay away from sword. When you start out most people are going to be able to one shot your entire team. After a few months of grinding you might be able to get to a gear point where you cant be one shot... but even then it many times comes down to who gets their ability off first. This is not a fun pvp system.
    Finally K2 is quite possibly the worst development company of all time. Originally the game was P2P, then on the second month of release RIGHT after people paid their monthly fee they switched to a F2P system with no warning or community notification till after the fact, and they refused to refund subscription fees they had just charged. Later one of the lead producers claimed that they had discussed this in depth with the community and everyone was cool with it from the get go....pretty much a bold faced lie. When it was brought up, threads were locked, folks were banned. K2 never communicated prior to releasing patches... you never knew if a patch was going to come in, or if it was just a normal maintenance. K2 would promise something was coming soon, and then 8 months later half of what they promised would sneak in.

Did I mention that they do their server maint at prime time, and when asked to move it to a more reasonable hour like every other mmo they basically told players to get boned?
    Yes SOTNW is a pretty game, but the community (whats left of it) is poor, and other than having a game that will play itself hours upon hours at a time, its not worth your time.

I understand your frustration, but I did wonder about the highlighted part, because....you know YOUR "prime time," isn't everyone else's prime time, necessarily. First you have to consider where the servers are and then where most of the players are actually from. If you're playing a game with more Chinese players, for instance, they're prime time and ours....are almost completely opposite, so....yeah. :(  I'm just using China as an example...I don't honestly know exactly where on the international clock they are from the U.S., but I'm sure the "prime times" are FAR far from being the same.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

its a US based game, with a US user base (and one euro server). The company and the servers are located in california. The server maint when I played was from 5-7pm cst last I played a year or so ago.

As a US company thats pretty bad.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by Pyrostasis

its a US based game, with a US user base (and one euro server). The company and the servers are located in california. The server maint when I played was from 5-7pm cst last I played a year or so ago.
    As a US company thats pretty bad.

You're right....that's pretty warped.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

This discussion has been closed.