Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need help game freezes.

TygrrTygrr Member Posts: 29

Hi I just built this PC a couple days ago

M2N-SLI Deluxe

AMD 64 X2 5600+

Geforce 8800 GTS

4GB Memory

250GB Seagate Hard Drive

640 watt PSU

I am playing Ghost Recon Advance Warfighter 2, It freezes with in the first 1 minutes of play. Freezes pretty much at the same spot in the game. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game again. 

I am able to press ENTER or ESC to exit the game.

Is there any test that I can do to try to fix the problem?

I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Comments

• TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Originally posted by Tygrr

Hi I just built this PC a couple days ago
    M2N-SLI Deluxe
    AMD 64 X2 5600+
    Geforce 8800 GTS
    4GB Memory
    250GB Seagate Hard Drive
    640 watt PSU
    I am playing Ghost Recon Advance Warfighter 2, It freezes with in the first 1 minutes of play. Freezes pretty much at the same spot in the game. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game again. 
    I am able to press ENTER or ESC to exit the game.
    Is there any test that I can do to try to fix the problem?
    I appreciate any help. Thanks.

1. do you have all the OS updates?

2.  Do you have the newest version of Directx

3. did you update your video drivers...

This sounds like either a driver issue or that you are trying to run too high settings on the 5600

• TygrrTygrr Member Posts: 29

Thanks Tibbz,

It was a pretty easy fix. You're right I was probably running the game at too high of a setting for my 5600. I put everything on medium and the game was working better.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Thanks Tibbz,
    It was a pretty easy fix. You're right I was probably running the game at too high of a setting for my 5600. I put everything on medium and the game was working better.

Could be a heat issue if lowering the settings stopped it from crashing.. lowered settings puts an easier load on the system so it doesn't heat up as much. Was it playable at the high settings before it would crash? It's unusual for it to actually lock up just because you put settings to high, it should just run like crap..

I was able to play training mode at high settings, but when I tried playing campaign mode it would crash at pretty much the same exact spot in the game. It could be heat issue, my room is pretty damn hot! LOL.

Ok, I find out that my CPU is running 55-60 C. Turns out that my Zalman fan isn't running.

I shut down my system now it doesn't boot up. Open up my case removed 3 sticks of RAM, and unplug the optical drive. Booted up got 4 beeps saying my fan is running low rpm.

I notice that my fan is only running right before the system boots up. Starts then stops. Now my PC won't even boot up anymore. Could this be the cause of my PSU losing power or my CPU got over heated?

Need help thanks.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Ok, I find out that my CPU is running 55-60 C. Turns out that my Zalman fan isn't running.
    I shut down my system now it doesn't boot up. Open up my case removed 3 sticks of RAM, and unplug the optical drive. Booted up got 4 beeps saying my fan is running low rpm.
    I notice that my fan is only running right before the system boots up. Starts then stops. Now my PC won't even boot up anymore. Could this be the cause of my PSU losing power or my CPU got over heated?
    Need help thanks.

I think it's more likely to be your PSU or mobo failing. CPU's have pretty good overheat protection. One thing you might want to do real quick is reset the bios by disconnecting the power then moving the CMOS jumper over to reset for a few seconds then putting it back or just removing the battery for a few. Occasionally the bios settings get screwed up and just prevents booting.

Make sure there are no fallen screws under your mobo shorting it out on the case.

If that doesn't get it booting back up.. The fact that your fan wasn't spinning makes it seem more likely to be the mobo but PSU is a bit easier to test, if you have another computer or PSU around you can easily swap power connections and see if it boots up.. if it does, then PSU was bad, if it doesn't then most likely the mobo is but you'd need to test more stuff to be 100% sure.

Oh I suppose it could also simply be the fan dying but that would be very very rare.. could easily test by just hooking the stock fan up to the cpu fan power connection on the mobo (without even putting it on the cpu, you just need an rpm signal good to see if it boots then shut it back off)

Need help thanks.

do you still happen to have your stock fan?  try that.

I recently upgraded my AMD X2 6000 because it was a hot lil bugger even with an upgraded Zelmann, OCing it was very limited and i brought it back dont to stock speeds because of the heat issues.  Truthfullly think of the Athalon X2s as a little bit faster Pentium D... hot as hell and a power hog. 

Unfortunatly your issue could be many things

Mobo dying,

PSU issues

somthing could have gotten into the Thermal greese whenyou upgraded the fan.. a buddy of mine destroyed his ole AMD 3200 b/c one lil peice of dog hair found its way between cpu/fan when he installed it. 

best advice is to try the cheap stuff first.... change out that fan then try to swap the PSU with another computers or willing buddies PSU to test it,  and if that is not it get a new mobo/cpu combo... that is kinda bittersweet because it does cost some $$ but you do get new toys out of it lol (recommend AMD PII for price/performance)

What are your mobo, PSU manufacturers?

• Egamst3kEgamst3k Member Posts: 59

Need help thanks.

Look for a BIOS upgrade and see if that helps.

It just sounds like your BIOS isn't utilizing the PWM feature of the fan, so it's not turning it on. It could also be the target temps in your current BIOS aren't set correctly.

If it's not either of those, my bet is that it's a faulty motherboard. However, try it with another PWM fan first and see what happens.

Yes, I am an English Major.

I am thinking its my Mobo now.

I tried resetting the CMOS, took the onboard battery off and moved the jumper to set to default BIOS. Still same problem, it wont boot up. Just plain blank black screen. There's power running, all the fans and LED are on and working.

I also switched the PSU with a brand new 700W Cooler Master PSU and same results, no booting.

M2N-SLI Deluxe board

AMD 5600+ CPU

AData 4GB (1GBX4)

Nvidia 8800 GTS

640W PSU

• GonesoloGonesolo City of Heroes CorrespondentMember Posts: 70

If you're getting no display then it could be your CPU. The CPU test runs before you get video or the system runs the POST if the CPU fails then the video/post wont start.

Could also be your board. Try taking all your memory out and turn the machine on if you get beeps then your CPU should be ok.

Ok, thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try.

I am thinking its my Mobo now.
    I tried resetting the CMOS, took the onboard battery off and moved the jumper to set to default BIOS. Still same problem, it wont boot up. Just plain blank black screen. There's power running, all the fans and LED are on and working.
    I also switched the PSU with a brand new 700W Cooler Master PSU and same results, no booting.
    M2N-SLI Deluxe board
    AMD 5600+ CPU
    AData 4GB (1GBX4)
    Nvidia 8800 GTS
    640W PSU

sounds like  the mobo... think of it this what.. get an AM3 board with a 945/955 or 720 and you got a good upgrade. 

<<Went from a 6000+ to a 945 and there is a SIGNIFICANT improvment

• Gweed0Gweed0 Member UncommonPosts: 108

Here is a nice combo from newegg:    www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx                         

Or if thats a bit much for your budget: www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx

Originally posted by Gweed0

Here is a nice combo from newegg:    www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx                         
     Or if thats a bit much for your budget: www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx

Get Phenom II if you can, even though that is a pretty good deal on that 9950

another option:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4897108&CatId=4297

the 720 is a good OCer