Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Great Community (In My Opinion)

Hey all,

Just want to start this post by saying that I am neither a fanboi or a hater of any MMO. I've tried all the 'mainstream' MMOs in the last 10 years and dont love or hate any of them.

Now on with my post.... I have recently been trying out a lot of the MMOs I quit in the past as like a lot of you I am not currently grabbed by any of the MMOs on the market and feel that what is required is some blue sky thinking to create something unique that actually works.

What I find that a lot of MMOs these days seem to lack a sense of community that I first saw in vanilla WoW when there wasnt sites like thottbot or Alakhazm (SP?) providing indepth walkthroughs to every quest, and to be able to do some quests required cooperation between players. I would regardly be approached by people just looking to chat and quest together, which usually lasted for my whole playtime (sometimes several hours). Well touch wood I seem to have found such a community on LoTRO.

I have been posting in the advice channel regulary as it has been well over a year since I first tried the game (I played it for about a month at launch and quit due to a memory leak) and although you get a few jokers (which as far as I am concerned is fine as it gives plenty of laughs), you do get people willing to go out of there way to help you.

An example of this is last night where I couldn't find some patrolling mob (a giant spider) and I ended up posting several times in the advice channel giving people updates of where I was looking and not one person called me a 'noob' or an 'idiot', but instead someone actually went out of their way to help me physically find the spider, which resulted in us grouping up for the rest of the evening.

Another example is of a guy just running up to me and we started talking and again we ended up grouping for the rest of the evening.

I have not felt this sense of community in a game for a number of years (I am on the Snowbourn EU server if anyone is interested). I am seriously impressed with LoTROs sense of community and even though there are some niggling things that bother me (the way they have buffed xp in the lower lvls so you end up skipping tons of quests for starters), I think I will continue to play this game for a number of months to come.

Comments

• adrianemeryadrianemery Member Posts: 250

I tried Lotro didn't like it for what ever reason, yet the 3 months I played had some of the nicest people I have come across in a PUG or just randomly in chat channles.

I have been tempted to come back this weeks as part of the free week but I have been insanely busy at home and just couldn't find time.

I wish the community on this game could be reflected on others.

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757

Jay, Snowbourn still rocks :) or shall I say, even better than ever? :)

No wonder how folks like us Snowbourners can't figure out what the hell people who are bashing the community talk about :D

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

• arthen999arthen999 Member Posts: 183
    Originally posted by adrianemery

I tried Lotro didn't like it for what ever reason, yet the 3 months I played had some of the nicest people I have come across in a PUG or just randomly in chat channles.
    I have been tempted to come back this weeks as part of the free week but I have been insanely busy at home and just couldn't find time.
    I wish the community on this game could be reflected on others.

you should come back this week . thats what i did and they offered me a lifetime sub for 75 pounds. its only a limited offer though untill the 10 th .

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Yes other than FFXI, Lotro has a very good gaming community. The sad thing is that after trying DDO now I understand why Lotro is lacking. They used the same tools, same engine it seems and the same combat style in DDO and applied it to Lotro. All they did was just enhance what they did in DDO. That is pretty sad. Unless Turbine used another game engine with all new ideas and a much better combat system I'll never give Turbine another dime.

• PRforce97PRforce97 Member Posts: 26

I wantd to like this game and I did when it 1st was released but I just couldn't play it anymore. I quit after 3 months of playing. I bought the recent expansion but only played it with the 30 free days. I just cant play a game with such UGLY armor sets. I mean even the colors are so ugly. They look like clothes bums in those days would wear. If Turbine improved the armors in this game I would come back in a heartbeat.

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757

What the hell do the last 2 comments to do with the topic?

Please stay ontopic...

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

• seabass2003seabass2003 Member Posts: 4,144
    Originally posted by PRforce97

I wantd to like this game and I did when it 1st was released but I just couldn't play it anymore. I quit after 3 months of playing. I bought the recent expansion but only played it with the 30 free days. I just cant play a game with such UGLY armor sets. I mean even the colors are so ugly. They look like clothes bums in those days would wear. If Turbine improved the armors in this game I would come back in a heartbeat.

Did you get to level 20 so you could use the outfit system. I havn't looked like a bumb since they implemented it.

In America I have bad teeth. If I lived in England my teeth would be perfect.

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

Maybe it's different on the EU servers, but the people are on the NA servers are incredibly stuck up. Won't have anything to do with you, or even deign to talk to you, if you aren't in their kin, apparently.  I've played the game for what, 8 months, and I've never talked to anyone. Even when I've found PUGs, none of them talked.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by trancejeremy

Maybe it's different on the EU servers, but the people are on the NA servers are incredibly stuck up. Won't have anything to do with you, or even deign to talk to you, if you aren't in their kin, apparently.  I've played the game for what, 8 months, and I've never talked to anyone. Even when I've found PUGs, none of them talked.

That doesn't line up with the experience I've had on my American server in the slightest.

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• seabass2003seabass2003 Member Posts: 4,144

This is complete bullshit and just a troll post.

In America I have bad teeth. If I lived in England my teeth would be perfect.

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

This was the jist of my experience also... guess it's all in the roll of the dice.  Could be the hours we play also, I have a hectic work schedule and often play at weird hours when noone else is awake.  I wouldn't call this inaccurate or BS though cause everyone has different experiences and when a week goes by and a game gets dull because noone wants to group or speak it is annoying to say the least. 

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
    "The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

Must be because I can't say that's been my experience.  Although, I will say even though I've been playing mmos since the early days of EQ I use vc in this game and others where its available almost universally simply because I suck ass at typing.  Still, if I'm in a group where some aren't using the feature I still type away as do they.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

The community on Brandywine has always been enjoyable.  The /advice channel has always been kept to helpful words for the questions being asked.  /OOC or /GLFF channels are a different matter entirely, I go there for the good laughs and arguments.  WHen I first started playing LOTRO I was totaly impressed with the community, one person who I grouped with in the beginning went out of his way to teach me the ropes and set me up with the best beginner crafted materials (which he made) and well over a year later (almost two) we are still friends.

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)