Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some Juicy Aion tidbits from a GM

supbrosupbro Member Posts: 327

"Aion was designed from the ground up to appeal to a global audience. I understand that you might feel North American customers are not heard because we (North American players) don't have our own special, different version. The entire point to this game is to NOT have 10 different versions of the same game. If North America desires a change, that change will be made to all versions of the game for all territories. Since you have played Aion already I am sure you have noticed this is not like ANY other Korean game out there. We (North American Developers) have been playing alpha versions of this game since 2006. We have definitely added and changed things for the North American players. Well... we changed them for everyone.

Suggestions for changes made during our closed beta events will not be made immediately as that is not what we are working on. We are working on getting our service up and running with what content we already have. North America and Europe have already made a major impact on how this game is already played and will continue to be a major factor in future updates to the game.

Your feelings on GameGuard are justified and known to the North American and European teams. As it stands now GameGuard does provide a certain level of protection. If and when we find a better hack/cheat/bot prevention system we will use it. GameGuard will be improved or removed before launch.

The Preorder and CE items are account based. Every character you create will be able to "claim" those items. You heard it here first!

NPCs being able to attack and cast through walls is a combination of purposeful design and possible bug. This mechanic is used to prevent characters using topography to kill monsters without the player characters being hurt. It is common in other games to glitch NPC on walls and trees so they can be killed without fear. If PCs are blocked and NPCs are not, this stops people from purposefully glitching mobs. This system also helps detect bots. In some areas this could be a possible bug depending on the skills being used. I would suggest that when you run into an issue with mobs attacking through a wall that you report it as a bug so it can be investigated.

Preventing and removing bots/hackers/gold sellers is our number one priority for Aion in North America. We will have zero tolerance for such things in our game.

Thank you,

HGM spam"

GW2 the future of MMO gaming

Comments

• gillbraniongillbranion Member UncommonPosts: 1

Wow,

GameGuard doesn't bother me much and my gateway laptop worked well with it, but I have a newer laptop.  What I believe is more important to mention is how this game is going to kick WoW's azz!!!!!!!!

As a former WoW addict, (who still sneaks a swig now and then) I must say that I have a new addiction!  I played Aion for hours at the San Diego Comic Con, only breaking away to play God of War III and to sit in on the Star Wars the Old Republic online panel.

First of all, the different dimensions you can enjoy the game vastly surpass WoW.  If you want to move away from the main storyline feel free, because getting back t the main storyline is one click with the Campaign, Mini-quests, and other various window tabs overlayed on where you are currently standing, fighting, or just plain having fun.

If you just want to hack-n-slash, no problem and it is not a waste of your time either as each kill delivers xp, or some item you can use or sell.  If you want more meat to sink your gamer teeth into, no problem, Aion has several depths of developing your characters, weapons, armors, magic, or interacting direclty with the quests, the campaign, or highly important NPC's!

This game has it all!  I played the closed beta from 7/31/09 - 8/3/09 and I never left my computer!

If you want me to answer any other questions please feel free to drop me a line.

-Michael

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

"NPCs being able to attack and cast through walls is a combination of purposeful design and possible bug. This mechanic is used to prevent characters using topography to kill monsters without the player characters being hurt."

It still is not right and many people will not like this system.  There are games that use other methods to prevent the things you are trying to prevent.  It's just bad game mechanics.

• NadrilNadril Member Posts: 1,276

Haha shit man, so HGMSpam really is working on Aion now.

Botters beware, this GM means fucking business. (seriously, the time period where HGMSpam was with Lineage II the amount of bots just plummeted. Of course he eventually left that team (and all the bots just came back) but he'll take care of them bots :).

• DoktorTeufelDoktorTeufel Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Originally posted by gillbranion

This game has it all!

Well, not quite... as far as I know, Aion will never have persistent housing (Ultima Online) or persistent guild cities (SWG).

I've seen developer statements that some form of player housing will likely be introduced in an expansion, but it's probably going to be instanced (doesn't really count IMO), or at best will be static "rental" property (Lineage 2).

Currently Playing: EVE Online
    Retired From: UO, FFXI, AO, SWG, Ryzom, GW, WoW, WAR

• 0over00over0 Member UncommonPosts: 488

I don't think anyone will ever put player cities in a game again unless they're instanced, at best. There were so many problems with derelict cities cluttering SWG's landscape.

Apply lemon juice and candle flame here to reveal secret message.

Originally posted by 0over0

I don't think anyone will ever put player cities in a game again unless they're instanced, at best. There were so many problems with derelict cities cluttering SWG's landscape.

Oh, I agree they turned into a mess, especially once the player base declined post-NGE and there were two-man cities out there.

But they were so damned fun, I personally think the mess was worth it, and there are ways to clean up the landscape as time goes by.

Persistent cities may come with a lot of problems, but I enjoyed the Hell out of them.

• lornphoenixlornphoenix Member Posts: 993

I still can't grasp why anyone would want player housing in a game.

Guild Halls I get, player housing I don't. /shrug

• stormiousstormious Member Posts: 63
    Originally posted by lornphoenix

I still can't grasp why anyone would want player housing in a game.

Guild Halls I get, player housing I don't. /shrug

Me neither. Maybe as a home-improvement simulator or something? o.0

I'm guessing it has something to do with a primal nesting-instinct... Everyone wants a hole in the wall to call their own ;p

• Markn12Markn12 Member Posts: 222

Some of you baffle the crap out of me.

If you want a house turn your PC off get a dam job and buy one.

Originally posted by Markn12

I have a "dam" job, and I own a three-story house in the city. Your flame really couldn't be any further off base. I could as easily say, "If you want to kill monsters with a sword, turn off your PC and go attend a LARP."

Anyway, the reason I like persistent player housing is because, when I've played games that included such housing systems (Ultima Online, Star Wars Galaxies), I really enjoyed them. What's not to understand about that?

All I'm saying is that Aion doesn't "have it all." I'm not saying Aion is going to be a bad game because of this.

Originally posted by DoktorTeufel

Anyway, the reason I like persistent player housing is because, when I've played games that included such housing systems (Ultima Online, Star Wars Galaxies), I really enjoyed them. What's not to understand about that?

Let's ignore mark's post, here.

I was really looking for why you and other seem like it... cause I just don't get it at all.

They seem like a waste of time, both on our end and time spent programing them into a game.

I just can't see them serving any purpose, other then to show off... that seems pointless to me.

FFXI does something with your mog house, I didn't like with the bonus the items give you... that was just annoying.

Basically it forcing me to buy these items and take to time to place them when I could of been doing something else more important.

• RaoraRaora Member Posts: 243

I liked marks post lol

• grimfogrimfo Member Posts: 36

i doubt the gm will b able to keep up with the boting/selling

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Markn12

Yeah...  Play Mark's way or don't play at all.  That seems reasonable if you're 5.

• jhall229jhall229 Member Posts: 239

I'm pulling for HGM Spam on this one.  He did a good job on Lineage II with the bots, but it still wasn't enough to satisfy me.  I don't really blame this on any GM, but on the game design itself. 

I know Aion is going to be an awesome game, but until it is proven not to be a botter's paradise, I'm not touching the game.

• Spaceweed10Spaceweed10 Member Posts: 625

This game has it all!

Well, not quite... as far as I know, Aion will never have persistent housing (Ultima Online) or persistent guild cities (SWG).

I've seen developer statements that some form of player housing will likely be introduced in an expansion, but it's probably going to be instanced (doesn't really count IMO), or at best will be static "rental" property (Lineage 2).

These are the most useless and banal features for an MMO to have, and why virtually no game has EVER launched with them .

Buy yourself a doll's house to play in.

• Spaceweed10Spaceweed10 Member Posts: 625
    Originally posted by jhall229

I'm pulling for HGM Spam on this one.  He did a good job on Lineage II with the bots, but it still wasn't enough to satisfy me.  I don't really blame this on any GM, but on the game design itself. 
    I know Aion is going to be an awesome game, but until it is proven not to be a botter's paradise, I'm not touching the game.

No one will miss you.  Try and build your own game where some form of farmers/botters don't exist.  That's right, you can't.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Spaceweed10

This game has it all!

These are the most useless and banal features for an MMO to have, and why virtually no game has EVER launched with them .

Maybe, but we're talking about (supposedly) an MMORPG here. The key being the RPG part. Roleplaying specifically. And many people consider housing to be an integral part of roleplaying and enjoying an RPG.

As far as your attitude toward it, I'm thinking maybe you should go back to playing Quake or Counterstrike. I really don't think this genre is for you.

• MorgarenMorgaren Member UncommonPosts: 397

My favorite part about player housing in games is how easy they stay clean.....

anyone else notice that?

• TettersTetters Member Posts: 221
    Originally posted by Morgaren

My favorite part about player housing in games is how easy they stay clean.....
    anyone else notice that?

you're lucky, my house in SWG was always getting dusty, the carpets needed cleaning and the less said about the gutters the better ...

Originally posted by lornphoenix

I was really looking for why you and other seem like it... cause I just don't get it at all.

They seem like a waste of time, both on our end and time spent programing them into a game.

I just can't see them serving any purpose, other then to show off... that seems pointless to me.

FFXI does something with your mog house, I didn't like with the bonus the items give you... that was just annoying.

Basically it forcing me to buy these items and take to time to place them when I could of been doing something else more important.

Well, if you don't intrinsically understand why persistent housing can be a fun and rewarding part of an MMORPG, I'll probably have a hard time explaining it to you. It's mostly a matter of personal preference.

Essentially, yes, there's a certain pleasure just in having "your own place" that your character and his or her friends can hang out in, or even craft or vend items in. You can choose the style and location of the housing (and go through the adventure of affording/buying it), then collect a bunch of decorations, pieces of furniture, trophies, and items to customize it to your liking.

Does that have "a point"? Well actually, yes it does. Sandbox MMO players often find it very entertaining (for reasons I just described), and feel that it enriches the game for them, providing another spectrum of activity to enjoy other than the core game play of grinding and earning faction points. The more activities there are to do in an MMO, the more robust the game is in the long run. Just because it doesn't make your character incrementally more 1337 doesn't make it pointless.

In SWG in particular, housing served another practical purpose: Setting up vendors inside. Other players could enter your house and buy stuff from your vendors, and creative decor could enhance your reputation as a crafter. The house description itself could serve as advertising.

It's worth development time because it's a feature that enriches the game and helps retain more players for a longer period of time.

Also, in nearly all of the MMORPGs I've played that include player housing, you aren't forced to own or decorate a house. You can if you wish, but you don't have to, and your character won't be adversely affected if you don't.

Finally, being able to have a house in the actual game landscape goes a long way towards making a game feel more like an actual world.

Originally posted by Spaceweed10

You are a troll, and an ignorant one at that.

Ultima Online, Acheron's Call, Star Wars Galaxies, Vanguard, and Everquest II all launched with persistent player housing. Anarchy Online launched with persistent player cities. I'm sure there are at least a few others I don't know about.

Hell, EVE Online has persistent player-owned structures in space, not exactly housing but you can place them, mine with them, customize them and it makes sense for a game based around space vessels.

More to the point, the fact that a lot of games don't have these features is irrelevant. A lot of MMORPGs also suck, and 95% of the posters on this forum are always looking for another MMORPG because they aren't happy with what's on the market.

It doesn't mean persistent housing and cities aren't worthwhile. It just means the games don't have them.

Originally posted by Zorvan

Maybe, but we're talking about (supposedly) an MMORPG here. The key being the RPG part. Roleplaying specifically. And many people consider housing to be an integral part of roleplaying and enjoying an RPG.

As far as your attitude toward it, I'm thinking maybe you should go back to playing Quake or Counterstrike. I really don't think this genre is for you.

Thank you.

These morons telling me to "go buy a dollhouse" (referring to features beloved by almost all sandbox fans) are simply self-owning in the eyes of any poster with a modicum of intelligence.

In SWG in particular, housing served another practical purpose: Setting up vendors inside. Other players could enter your house and buy stuff from your vendors, and creative decor could enhance your reputation as a crafter. The house description itself could serve as advertising.

Thank You, I think I get now. Not my thing, but ok.

But the part I quoted above makes sense having a place to set up shop, does make sense... and sound kinda cool.

• MyskMysk Member Posts: 982

I've always found housing to be a pleasant diversion.  Sometimes I don't feel like killing another 20 mobs or collecting another 100 toe nails; sometimes I don't feel like messing with mobs at all.

The housing feature provides a way to enjoy the game in other ways.  How do you want to design the house?  Furniture?  Trophies?  Wall / floor designs, so on and so forth.  Or you can look around at your existing trophies to see some of your previous accomplishments.  It's kind of like the sims only without the annoying (IMO) micromanagement.

I noticed the lack of housing from the beginning and thought it strange that a new MMO is launching without it.  However, I like that they're tightening up what they have instead of trying to add half-finished bullet points to the back of the box.

edit:  Oh, and *WIN* that we can use the CE items on every character.  It's good to know that they've come to their senses about this! :D

I didn't mean to derail this thread with my housing comment. However, I can say with confidence that robust gathering, crafting and housing systems can be good selling points for any online game. I'm already interested in Aion, but if it had persistent, customizable housing, I'd be even more interested in it. I only mentioned housing because it's one thing I've noticed that the game lacks.

One final comment about people who like player housing: We don't necessarily like it because it lets us "show off." Bethesda's single-player RPGs (Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3) all have player housing that you can decorate extensively, and it's purely for your own enjoyment, unless you want to post screenshots on a forum to show others.

• krityckrityc Member UncommonPosts: 175

Well spoken response imo.

[(T+G=W)=Gr*Nf]-S=FoF
    T=Time G=Gear W=Win Gr=Grind Nf=NoFun S=Skill FoF=FullofFail

"Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's azz by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather to take his word for it?" - Tommy Boy