Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: John Smedley to Host GDC Austin Keynote

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

John Smedley, President of Sony Online Entertainment, will be hosting the keynote address at this years GDC Austin. In his keynote address, Mr. Smedley will discuss the affect SOE's recently launched and wildly successful MMORPG, Free Realms, has had on expanding the base of MMOG gamers.

The Austin Game Developer's Conference will take place at the Austin Convention Center, and will run from September 15th, 2009 through September 18th, 2009.

Discounts are being offered for early registration, but the promotion will be ending on August 13th, so if you plan on going, it'd be a good idea to act now!

For more information, check out the official GDC Austin website.

Comments

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111

Wildly successful? LoL

Shouldn't this be posted under the "Advertisement propaganda" forum?

Couldn't this news tidbit have been posted without that debatable description?

• Hammertime1Hammertime1 Member Posts: 619

Hopefully he'll discuss his fine leadership during the SWG NGE period.........

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Id love to see someone go to this and throw a rotten tomato/egg/anything at his stupid head.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• EbenEmaelEbenEmael Member Posts: 334

Who would actually want to listen to this guy give a lecture? It would be like getting advice from the captain of the Titanic on the finer points of iceberg navigation.

• MazinMazin Member Posts: 640

I wouldn't go unless he gave a lecture on "How to fail and make millions and keep your job while doing it"

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Here we go again more nonsense marketing hype.  Free Realms is not madly successful, I even doubt it would be proper to use the word succesful.   SOE laying off people is most certainly NOT successful.

I know it would be highly impolite, but if there is anyone I would love to heckle it would be Smedley.  He is so beyond clueless when it comes to this genre that it is pathetic.

• LaurannLaurann Member UncommonPosts: 47

Ahh, the GDC. Once a cheery hub for game developers in the industry.

Not anymore. They are accually letting this sliding retard give a keynote? The last thing we want is 100 ego inflated fat bastages like Smed sitting in this industry. Why not just invite Brad down, so he can give a keynote on vicoden usage, and how everyone else is to blame.

Though he'll be delivering in Austin, so there won't be a whole lot of IQ points to kill down there.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Wait, What?

Ok, seriously, after his reinactment of the Titanic with SWG you'd think event coordinators wouldn't touch this guy with a ten foot pole.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776
    Originally posted by Khalathwyr

Wait, What?

Ok, seriously, after his reinactment of the Titanic with SWG you'd think event coordinators wouldn't touch this guy with a ten foot pole.

But he looks so friendly in that picture.

• xiirotxiirot Fallen Earth CorrespondentMember Posts: 328

He's going to give a presentation on how not to deliver quality content in MMOs.

"Good people are good because they've come to wisdom through failure. We get very little wisdom from success, you know." William Saroyan

Originally posted by Laurann

Ahh, the GDC. Once a cheery hub for game developers in the industry.
    Not anymore. They are accually letting this sliding retard give a keynote? The last thing we want is 100 ego inflated fat bastages like Smed sitting in this industry. Why not just invite Brad down, so he can give a keynote on vicoden usage, and how everyone else is to blame.
    Though he'll be delivering in Austin, so there won't be a whole lot of IQ points to kill down there.

Yeah, because the University of Washington has "done more" that the University of Texas at Austin academics wise...

(nothing personal, you bash my state, I take a crack at your, lol!)

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

Originally posted by xiirot

He's going to give a presentation on how not to deliver quality content in MMOs.

Ahh, well, if that's the case, I'm alright with it.

Chavez y Chavez

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Invert whatever he says and we will know how to make something a true success. 

• NifaNifa Member Posts: 324

Oh, to have the money for a ticket so I could show my "appreciation" to Mr. Smedley in a manner that he could understand (tossing Lego lightsabers and red jellybeans at his head comes to mind).

Maybe this year's keynote here in Austin is meant to be a comedy rather than a serious discussion...

Firebrand Art

"You are obviously confusing a mature rating with actual maturity." -Asherman

Maybe MMO is not your genre, go play Modern Warfare...or something you can be all twitchy...and rank up all night. This is seriously getting tired. -Ranyr

• tkobotkobo Member Posts: 465

Maybe they got confused, and he's really delivering the pizza for the event ?

That WOULD make alot more sense :P

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Don't worry he's just going to show of his new cloth collection......MEH... http://www.johnsmedley.com/ 

• ErolisErolis Member Posts: 54

Free Realms is doing really well. And Smeg is now bald and about 75 pounds heaver now. They really need to update that photo.

Of course once The Old Republic comes out. It's finally over for swg. I'll miss my old house. /tear

The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. - Harlan Ellison

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448
    Originally posted by EbenEmael

Who would actually want to listen to this guy give a lecture? It would be like getting advice from the captain of the Titanic on the finer points of iceburg navigation.

That cracked me up!

Honestly, it's sad when your this big of a joke in the industry and don't even realize it.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• EbenEmaelEbenEmael Member Posts: 334
    Originally posted by Abrahmm

Originally posted by EbenEmael

Who would actually want to listen to this guy give a lecture? It would be like getting advice from the captain of the Titanic on the finer points of iceberg navigation.

That cracked me up!

Honestly, it's sad when your this big of a joke in the industry and don't even realize it.

Exactly. Are people that work in the MMO industry so out of touch? It would explain why there have been so many game failures. It seems that MMO players have a much better idea of what is going on then the executives do.

If you want to design a line of clothes for 12 year old girls, who do you ask what 12 year old girls like? Do you form a focus group consisting of 40+ year old men or do you ask 12 year old girls?

• TwwIXTwwIX Member Posts: 203

Bill Roper and this douchebag should not be in the gaming business at all. Let alone run one.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

That's like having Joey Buttafuoco be the keynote speaker at a seminar on sensitivity toward women.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Erolis

Free Realms is doing really well. And Smeg is now bald and about 75 pounds heaver now. They really need to update that photo.
    Of course once The Old Republic comes out. It's finally over for swg. I'll miss my old house. /tear

For those who haven't seen him recently, here you go:

He now looks like Fester.

• storm-dragonstorm-dragon Member Posts: 157

Wow...such rabid hate.

Way to represent the gaming community in a positive non-psychotic light.

This sword here at my side dont act the way it should
    Keeps calling me its master, but I feel like its slave
    Hauling me faster and faster to an early, early grave
    And it howls! it howls like hell!

• todeswulftodeswulf Member Posts: 715
    Originally posted by storm-dragon

Wow...such rabid hate.
    Way to represent the gaming community in a positive non-psychotic light.

You don't know the half of it dude, during the so cal fires there were folks on the SWG vet forums that were hoping him, his wife and kids didn't make it out. he gets regular death threats (by fans of video games seriousley how fucked up is that?) and has been the target of all kinds of harassment. The really messed up part is sites like this condone and even encourage it.

This is why I lie when folks ask me if I'm  a gamer seriousley who wants to be associated with freaks who will no doubt one day walk into SOE headquarters with an Assault Rifle?

Originally posted by Zorvan

Originally posted by Erolis

For those who haven't seen him recently, here you go:

He now looks like Fester.

Hey, now that's out of line...don't insult Uncle Fester (Jackie Coogan RIP) like that.

Chavez y Chavez