Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game Survivability?

2»

Comments

• ZipehZipeh Member Posts: 265

I am of the opposite opinion, finding Exodus superior to prior builds in many ways.  Perhaps though, i am less effected by the limiting factors that occur after minor, and in this case, major patches. I love the new gui, new graphics, faster/smoother game performance, and I am excited, and intreagued about the long term impact of Player owned Structures, and in-game Alliance mechanics.

• Nullifi3dNullifi3d Member Posts: 7

EVE Online appeals to a very specific type of audience, in my opinion. A majority of the players are not those that like the in-depth roel playing that some peopel may like, although there are many people like that in the game. It's sort of a third-person tactical game, but with a huge economy.

I've been playing for a little over a year and 4 months, and I love it. Nothing has ever brought satisfaction to me quite like EVE has. I watched a lot of Star Trek when I was younger, and never seemed to like the real fantasy kind of RPG's, like the FF series and D&D, etc., but EVE appeals to me.

I urge everyone to try it at least once, because you never know if you truly love or truly hate anything until you try it.

• glittermageglittermage Member Posts: 28

I've been playing (tried Eve Online through the 14-day free trial) for about 7 weeks and thoroughly enjoy it.

It's different, huge, and thoughtful.

I'll be playing for years if the developers don't bail out.

• tennotsukaitennotsukai Member Posts: 26

Originally posted by Alkatraz

Originally posted by Copeland

hehe being stuck at a station between a rock and hard place ... isnt that part of the charm really. I'm in a similar situation. I've been playing for 2 months now. I just really got the hang of fighting and my corp joined a big alliance. Needless to say now i'm in the middle of a big war and i have about 5% of the skills i need to fight all you guys with 2 years training. So i'm pretty much stuck in a station learning skills, but then just think if we had to grind for skills lol that would suck. To me this is a fairly realistic aspect of the game and although it keeps me from playing atm in the long run when i get my skills and have a bad ass ship i'm going to enjoy killing those pirate scum! Another great thing is that theres rewards for the hardcore player but no real penalty for the casual player. Eve is a fantastic game and has a great future. Play it , love it and be thankful you found a company that cares.

Don't stay in the station just because u can't fly a bs..use a frigate and don't be afraid of dieing

U won't learn how to pvp by reading the boards.....try different tactics and don't be affraid to do mistakes...we all did and still doing them...it's the only way to learn.

Have fun!

I have to agree here, frig combat can be more fun the BS combat, people tend to be stuck in the bigger is better box.

But as many can and will contest its not the case, at the end of the day, i enjoy PvP more with my trusty rifter then i do with any of my BS's, as i can contribute to things a lot better.. from acting as a tackler, to a pod sweeper.

many people find a niche that better suits their style of play, some like to be long range snipers others uber tanks.. give things a try, and don't be afraid to die.

• ArbenArben Member Posts: 1

I also find frigate combat more fun, than BS combat. As a pirate (wannabe :P) i am mostly outnumbered, so hit-and-run tactics are usualy the best. and for that, u need fast and nimble ship. Perfect job for frigates and other small ships (interceptors etc).

And yes, game will stay here for a long time, because it's getting better by a day. Some people don't like the constant changes because it doesn't suit their playing style. But i always try to adapt.

And to people who think that a noob can't participate in a fleet battles.. i wasn't even outside my 14 day trial when i was in my first fleet battle. I think i had only about 300k or 400k SP (now i have 11 mio). I still remember it, flying in my small black bird, equiped with remote sensor dampeners and heavy missiles, admiring the mighy battle ships i was hidding behind :D

I've been playing for 9 months, and i am about to extend my subscription for another 6 :)

• thaylonthaylon Member Posts: 11

I fully intend to be playing EVE II in 5 years time. This game just has to good a community to fade away.

• CasCCasC Member Posts: 15
    I have played for over a year and i still love the game, so i would say yes, it got what it takes. But its always room for improvment.

• AlkatrazAlkatraz Member Posts: 119

Originally posted by Arben

And yes, game will stay here for a long time, because it's getting better by a day. Some people don't like the constant changes because it doesn't suit their playing style. But i always try to adapt.

People in general are not having difficulties on adapting to new tactics and play styles....they are just pissed off seeing 8 milion skill points wasted on something that is not worth anything anymore, wich is also my case....

Those people are not heaving their heads full of implants so they could easyly start learning new things ( implants make u weak in my oppinion) or .... they simply chose to specialize in one race for rolle playing reasons.....but u will see my point when u will have 12 million skill points in one race and u'll get nerfed and all the others arround u will just say, with complete ignorance, adapt or die....

what did you lose 8m skill points too?

i cant think of any nerfs that would cause that much SP loss. Only huge nerf i can think of was the MWD and AB changes, and that wouldnt waste skills anyhow. im sure im missing something though.

Originally posted by Zipeh

what did you lose 8m skill points too?
    i cant think of any nerfs that would cause that much SP loss. Only huge nerf i can think of was the MWD and AB changes, and that wouldnt waste skills anyhow. im sure im missing something though.

Well...let see....

Minmatar frig 5

Minmatar cruiser 5

Minmatar BS 5

small projectiles 5

medium projectiles 5

large projectiles 5

small autocannon 4

small artilery 4

medium artilerry 4

medium autocannon 4

large artilery 3

large autocannon 3

afterburner 5

fuel conservation 5

U see...i use only minmatar ships and because they've got nerfed to hell and back all the other related skills are useless for me now....like :

ceptors 5

destroyers 5

assault 5

heavy assault 4

battlecruiser 4

well i can see why now .. although i cant see them staying nerfed .. ccp will adjust as usual.  and i would iamgine that you dont do too badly with those skills.  might not be best in game but you should still do way better than someone like me with my crappy skills.  at some point or other in the last few years all ship types / weapon types have had their moment on top. 

I know that the old days when i could camp a gate in my tempest and obliterate anything that jumped trough from 0 to 80km with emp ammo are over but now i'm only usefull when shooting a god damn station image

Think ccp could have made things a bit better for projectiles users by giving us the ability to warp in at longer distances like 100+km, because right now if i warp to max range wich is 60km an apoc user will only have to change his cristals to radio and wtfpwn me with his pulse guns and in the same time reparing himself with 2 large armor reps and 3 hardners for an unlimited amount of time.

I don't want to see pulses or any other guns get nerfed nor do i want to see any other ships getting nerfed.....but atm every1 is forced to be in the range of pulse guns wich don't have a delay for changing ammo nor do they need to be reloaded.....that's why i'm proposing longer warp in points so that we won't have a setup good for all ranges....

• squeeesqueee Member Posts: 722

EVE definetly has surviveability. Large projectiles need some love and armagedons need a swing of the nerf bat. I'm surprised it took everyone so long to figure out it's power. This talk of yet another missle nerf is killing me and I hope it is just a rumor. But, balance in any MMORPG is a problem. And when level 2 crystals come out Armas will be extremely deadly if not changed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
    Rich Cook.

Originally posted by squeee

EVE definetly has surviveability. Large projectiles need some love and armagedons need a swing of the nerf bat. I'm surprised it took everyone so long to figure out it's power. This talk of yet another missle nerf is killing me and I hope it is just a rumor. But, balance in any MMORPG is a problem. And when level 2 crystals come out Armas will be extremely deadly if not changed.

This is why i try not to speak of nerfs....every time i do it some1 will feel the need to nerf other things/races/guns in order to bring the lower ones on par with the new flavor of the month.

That is a bad thing Squeee...trust me....in time, these kind of nerfs will only ruin the game and the confidence of eve players for ccp.

In my oppinion, in order to make things better, we should keep the working stuff the way it is and buff the things that are broken; that's why i consider a verry bad idea to nerf amar or caldari just because my favourite race (minmatar) is not on par with them....

What i don't like atm is seeing ccp having a realy unorganised agenda of fixing things. I think it would have been better for us to have a real ballance between races (fixing projectiles and missiles) and only then start with things like ceptors, giving more hitt points to ships, making the new EW system and the list can go on and on.....

I think EVE was released to soon, and only now we can get a clue of how ccp intended for things to happen....non the less it was way much fun to play eve back in the old days then it is now....

• glittermageglittermage Member Posts: 28

CCP has it easy, advances in technology (through research agents handing out a BPO) for high quality ammo, rail guns (hyper rail guns?), can offset the current imbalance.

I love this game. ::::01::

• squeeesqueee Member Posts: 722

Well consider this. You cannot buy and armagedon for less than 70 mil on open market and sometimes 75mil. Heavy lasers are scarce and hard to find. Pretty soon you will see entire fleets of armagedons, being able to pop a bs with one volley from each ship. Sounds like a fun fleet battle doesn't it? Now beef other ships up to have higher em and thermal resistance or improve hardeners. Well tech 2 crystals are comming out and will introduce kenetic and explosive damage, what then. You cant have resistances for all types of damage. And let me tell you where I am comming from. I have amar bs 5 and heavy laser turrets 5 and enough energy skills to run an army. I love the gankagedon setup, but it is being grosly over used right now. I can't remember the last time anyone actually wanted to fly a tempest, one of the former powerhouses, but not grosly overpowered. Make projectiles hit hard at long ranges and fire slow, let lasers fire quickly and do average damage, and put hybrids in the middle depending on the type of ammo used; the way it was ment to be. I am not a proponent of the nerf bat, I can't imagine anyone who is. But, something constructive needs to be done. Some changes are great. The no cruise missles on frigs, awesome, now frig battles last longer than who can get two missles and a web on their opponent first. Making it so large guns have greater trouble hitting frigs, awesome, the way it should be. Making it so a dual MWD cruiser can't outrun everything under the sun, also great. Perhaps it is not the Arma that needs to be touched, perhaps it is the ability to use 5 tech 2 damage mods that needs to be reconsidered.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
    Rich Cook.

• AngryHippieAngryHippie Member Posts: 214
    I'm not a big fan of the game, but AFAIK it's very uniqe, and of high quality. I think it will stay for a long time. The 'only' competition will be from Pirates of the Burning Sea, but Eve Online seems to have a loyal (and growing) playerbase.

---------------------------
    "Maybe your ram is bad."

Originally posted by squeee

Well consider this. You cannot buy and armagedon for less than 70 mil on open market and sometimes 75mil. Heavy lasers are scarce and hard to find. Pretty soon you will see entire fleets of armagedons, being able to pop a bs with one volley from each ship. Sounds like a fun fleet battle doesn't it? Now beef other ships up to have higher em and thermal resistance or improve hardeners. Well tech 2 crystals are comming out and will introduce kenetic and explosive damage, what then. You cant have resistances for all types of damage. And let me tell you where I am comming from. I have amar bs 5 and heavy laser turrets 5 and enough energy skills to run an army. I love the gankagedon setup, but it is being grosly over used right now. I can't remember the last time anyone actually wanted to fly a tempest, one of the former powerhouses, but not grosly overpowered. Make projectiles hit hard at long ranges and fire slow, let lasers fire quickly and do average damage, and put hybrids in the middle depending on the type of ammo used; the way it was ment to be. I am not a proponent of the nerf bat, I can't imagine anyone who is. But, something constructive needs to be done. Some changes are great. The no cruise missles on frigs, awesome, now frig battles last longer than who can get two missles and a web on their opponent first. Making it so large guns have greater trouble hitting frigs, awesome, the way it should be. Making it so a dual MWD cruiser can't outrun everything under the sun, also great. Perhaps it is not the Arma that needs to be touched, perhaps it is the ability to use 5 tech 2 damage mods that needs to be reconsidered.

That setup that u refer, is good only for ganks...it has no tanking ability at all.....and if we take as an example a battle with equal numbers of players on each side, and we put 5 damaging setups against 5 tanking setups, then the tanking setups will allways win no matter what.

EVE has begun to limit our former freedom in fittings patch after patch and that is wrong in my oppinion, but u see... everytime when i meet a raven i know that he has 6 sieges and 2 nos's, everytime when i meat a scorp it has 4 sieges 2 nos's ecm and webber and the list can go on....

Balanicing is good as long as it will not make us all the same......amar ships have been flavor of the month when power relays didn't have a boosting penalty on shields, therefor many trained for them as u could out tank 4 other bs shooting at ya forever....eventualy they got nerfed so people stoped using them....now they have a decent bonus and i think they are ok.

• thursdaythursday Member Posts: 24

There is one BS that you will never be sure of the set up and that is the Dom.

I have had shield tanking, armour tanking, blaster, nosf, med rails, support and EW set ups on at different times and as other pilots rarely see them as a major threat the loss rate is pretty low too.

All round a lovely ship, so why do I fly a Megathronimage