Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome Back week (EU)

Hello to you all

I'm not sure if this applies to the NA version of the game though I received an email from codemasters regarding a welcome back week for the 3rd August 2009, since I have already played recently I think I've had my fill... though it may be interesting for some, here is the full email:

We are delighted to inform you that your account for The Lord of the Rings Online™: Shadows of Angmar™ will be re-activated for a Welcome Back Week starting 3rd August, 2009. You will not be charged for this time and your account will be automatically closed at the end of the Welcome Back Week. If you do not wish to take advantage of this free game time there is no need to do anything and you may disregard this email.

The entire duration your account will be active is from 3rd August until 10th August, 2009.

For full details on this Welcome Back Week and the activities taking place please visit www.lotro-europe.com/welcomeback

Click here to download the latest client.

Kind regards,

The LOTRO-Europe Team

Comments

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

Yeah i got a similar email and downloaded(link from LOTROL site) the 10+GB zip cilent file last night, took about 3 to 4 hours to download.

Went to open the zip file and it was corrupt...................

Shame, when a company starts a win back campagin at the very least they can make the client easily available. By providing sections of the client, in say 1GB chunks that can be download independently, a simple and easy solution.

(I guess I could persevere and try downloading it again, but that is directly proportional to how eager i am to play it, the point i make is that it should not depend on how much i want to play it, they should make it as easy as possible for people to get the client). I could even dig out my old disks and install it and then patch it up, but this is an effort i am not prepared to undertake. You may say fine you don't want to play it, yes, i dont want to play it, from what i remember of it, but am willing to try it if it does not take to much hassle, after all that is the point of a Win-back campagin,

There objective is to get people back playing, who knows I may like it as i have not played since the first free month around launch time. But since I cannot get the client then i can't try it, hence the win back campagin has failed before i even started it.

Limiting the time period to a certain week is also not well thought out either, I understand that they aim this at the summer holidays in the EU, but a better idea would be to have a week free play whenever you start to play from and not a fixed week in time.

This is another way they have cut out 1000s of players who might have wanted to give it a try. As many maybe away on holiday this week and only to return next week for example.

You would have thought that if they take the trouble to organise a Win Back campagin then they would aim at maximizing its effect, to get as many peeps back as possible.  The way they have decided to implement this has made it a non-starter for 1000s, well their loss not mine.

Companies have got to understand that the MMO world has many quality titles out now and more to come, any half hearted attempt to boost numbers will fail, It is a buyers market now the sooner they realise that the better for them.

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757
    Originally posted by VultureSkull

Yeah i got a similar email and downloaded(link from LOTROL site) the 10+GB zip cilent file last night, took about 3 to 4 hours to download.
    Went to open the zip file and it was corrupt...................

Shame, when a company starts a win back campagin at the very least they can make the client easily available. By providing sections of the client, in say 1GB chunks that can be download independently, a simple and easy solution.
    (I guess I could persevere and try downloading it again, but that is directly proportional to how eager i am to play it, the point i make is that it should not depend on how much i want to play it, they should make it as easy as possible for people to get the client). I could even dig out my old disks and install it and then patch it up, but this is an effort i am not prepared to undertake. You may say fine you don't want to play it, yes, i dont want to play it, from what i remember of it, but am willing to try it if it does not take to much hassle, after all that is the point of a Win-back campagin,
    There objective is to get people back playing, who knows I may like it as i have not played since the first free month around launch time. But since I cannot get the client then i can't try it, hence the win back campagin has failed before i even started it.

Limiting the time period to a certain week is also not well thought out either, I understand that they aim this at the summer holidays in the EU, but a better idea would be to have a week free play whenever you start to play from and not a fixed week in time.
    This is another way they have cut out 1000s of players who might have wanted to give it a try. As many maybe away on holiday this week and only to return next week for example.

You would have thought that if they take the trouble to organise a Win Back campagin then they would aim at maximizing its effect, to get as many peeps back as possible.  The way they have decided to implement this has made it a non-starter for 1000s, well their loss not mine.
    Companies have got to understand that the MMO world has many quality titles out now and more to come, any half hearted attempt to boost numbers will fail, It is a buyers market now the sooner they realise that the better for them.

Before reading the whole wall of text :), what exactly did you try to use to open the .zip file with?

DB

Edit: a much better way to D/L the game is its own patcher. It downloads files one by one, so if it crashes (never did), or you have to stop/postpone downloading, you can resume from where you stopped, anytime. Never had an issue with it.

Edit2: oops, just realized your signature... you desperately needed something to bash a game that's quite the opposite of AoC, right? :)))  Successful, polished even at launch, delivering all that was advertised, almost bug-free, having a steady, slightly growing population. And most of all, FUN to play :)

Truth is, Lotro does not *need* free trials, as it is a great game, as by now mostly everyone knows. Free trials are just a nice habit.

BTW, I bought AoC back a couple months after launch. I liked the Tortage part, after it.... let me be nice and give no comment.

2 weeks ago, I had received a welcome-back email. I downloaded the client, tried to re-activate my sub, and guess what? It was competely bugged :) On one page it said that my sub is active. When I tried to login to the game, it told me my account is not active, and gave me a link. Ok, back to the accounts page, check - active. Back to game: not active.

Ok, client uninstalled.

Still, I have *never* ever had the faintest need felt to go to the AoC board and bash the incompetency of Funcom, for the zillionth time.  You gotta have a real specific type of personality to do that :)

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

Originally posted by DonnieBrasco

DB
    Edit: a much better way to D/L the game is its own patcher. It downloads files one by one, so if it crashes (never did), or you have to stop/postpone downloading, you can resume from where you stopped, anytime. Never had an issue with it.
     So why dont they put that link on the download page???
    Edit2: oops, just realized your signature... you desperately needed something to bash a game that's quite the opposite of AoC, right? :)))  Successful, polished even at launch, delivering all that was advertised, almost bug-free, having a steady, slightly growing population. And most of all, FUN to play :)
    I am not bashing any game, simply because i like AoC doesnt not make the points i list here invalid does it?
    I am not even talking about the game, i am talking about access to the game and am sharing my experiences and thoughts with this forum
    Truth is, Lotro does not *need* free trials, as it is a great game, as by now mostly everyone knows. Free trials are just a nice habit.
    If you say so, Turbine may have a different opinion
    BTW, I bought AoC back a couple months after launch. I liked the Tortage part, after it.... let me be nice and give no comment.
    2 weeks ago, I had received a welcome-back email. I downloaded the client, tried to re-activate my sub, and guess what? It was competely bugged :) On one page it said that my sub is active. When I tried to login to the game, it told me my account is not active, and gave me a link. Ok, back to the accounts page, check - active. Back to game: not active.
    Ok, client uninstalled. Lol if i went by your stds then this would constitute a bash on Aoc, so you accuse me and put me down for bashing lotrol and then turn around and do the exact same thing to Aoc, what does that say about you? I guess you are here to score points, i am not.
    This is the LOTROL area of the Forum, if you want to talk about AoC why not go there and talk about. The fact that i like AoC doesnt mean i can't like another game, You, do you like only one game at a time may i ask?
    Still, I have *never* ever had the faintest need felt to go to the AoC board and bash the incompetency of Funcom, for the zillionth time.  You gotta have a real specific type of personality to do that :)
    Bashing? have the things i mentioned in my post incorrect in anyway? Maybe you should actually read my post before commenting on it.
    DB

I see that you have come across overly defensive and this is to be expected if you like the game, but please take time to read my post before jumping to conclusions about me and my post.

That is the least you can do before talking about my personality as it refelcts badly on your own presonality if you don't!!!!

Your post started off about suggesting that i down load from another location, the rest of your post is a waste of time and space unfortunatly, as you let prejudices get the better of you :-(

You still didn't reply to my initial question: what did you try to unzip the file with?

BTW you have just put up a wall off text criticizing Turbine (who I really don't care about tho), just because of a simple issue. People with no agenda don't do that. Just a hint.

DB

You still didn't reply to my initial question: what did you try to unzip the file with?
    BTW you have just put up a wall off text criticizing Turbine (who I really don't care about tho), just because of a simple issue. People with no agenda don't do that. Just a hint.
    DB

It is constructive criticizim. I have provided valuable customer feed back, which turbine would be grateful to receive.

My agenda is to make Turbine realise that they can do better and provide a better service and hence grow their game.

From my point of view it is not a simple issue, 1000s will miss out on the winback campagin due to the desicions made by Turbine. My points are actually trying to improve LOTROL, as more people who try it the more will come back. And yet i am accused of having a agenda

Oh by the way i simply double clicked on the zip file and it said the file was corrupt.

Please answer my question, is it possible for you to like more than one game at a time? If so please retract all you comments in your first post. Thanks.

DB

It is constructive criticizim. I have provided valuable customer feed back, which turbine would be grateful to receive.

My agenda is to make Turbine realise that they can do better and provide a better service and hence grow their game.

Oh by the way i simply double clicked on the zip file and it said the file was corrupt.

Please answer my question, is it possible for you to like more than one game at a time? If so please retract all you comments in your first post. Thanks.

I'm sorry, I cannot make anything out of "simply double clicked". Zip files need to be unzipped with a program. Do you have such a program installed? What program is used to unzip your file?

To answer your question: I don't only like more than one game, I actually love more than 1 MMO. Liked Guild Wars, Wow (booo), Ryzom, and many others actually. It is simply a notion of writing a small novel of bashing (labelled as constructive criticism), when I have a small problem. If I have a problem, I am to solve it. In your case, it is more and more looking like that you have no idea how zip files work. 

Regardless, you somehow felt like expressing your advices to the developers of an already pretty successful game. It is not a problem, and I only mentioned the obvious fail of the AoC trial because of the hilarious irony of it :)

DB

Winzip, thats what runs when you double click a file.

NOW that i have answered your question address this please:

Please answer my question, is it possible for you to like more than one game at a time? If so please retract all you comments in your first post. Thanks.

DB

I'm sorry, I cannot make anything out of "simply double clicked". Zip files need to be unzipped with a program. Do you have such a program installed? What program is used to unzip your file?

DB

Winzip, thats what runs when you double click a file.

NOW that i have answered your question address this please:

Please answer my question, is it possible for you to like more than one game at a time? If so please retract all you comments in your first post. Thanks.

No, WinZip is what runs on your PC, when you click on a zip file. I suggest you get rid of it asap, and use a program that's not utter crap, like WinRar, 7zip or basically any other. Your problem will most probably be solved. And then you won't need a mission again :)

I did answer your questions in my previous post as well.

DB

One more idea, not sure if it applies.

After I installed Win7, some previously downloaded, otherwise perfectly fine .zip files were impossible to be opened, I had the "corrupted" message all the time. It was weird since I had no issues opening them under WinXP.

The solution was to copy them to another directly under Win7, and after that hey could be opened. Not sure what the reason for that was, the point is that it has worked.

I really hope your problem can be solved in one way or another.

BTW, have you checked the official LOTRO boards? If anyone else ever had the same problem, it could be up there.

DB

To answer your question: I don't only like more than one game, I actually love more than 1 MMO. Liked Guild Wars, Wow (booo), Ryzom, and many others actually. It is simply a notion of writing a small novel of bashing (labelled as constructive criticism), when I have a small problem. If I have a problem, I am to solve it. In your case, it is more and more looking like that you have no idea how zip files work. 
    Regardless, you somehow felt like expressing your advices to the developers of an already pretty successful game. It is not a problem, and I only mentioned the obvious fail of the AoC trial because of the hilarious irony of it :)

DB

I have no idea how the AoC trail works as i have never tired it. So it may well be hilarious to you, but at the end of the day, both trials it seems, need some attention. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Again, i say that you may take it as bashing, i take it as constructive criticism, that's just symantics. Maybe i should added that i am a LOTROL fanboi as well then you would have not had the urge to respond in the way you did lol. How fickle are you that you can be aggrivated by such a simply sig.

It is not only the issue of the zip file by the way(pls read my post as it seems you have only read my sig :-P), and yes winzip runs on my pc when i double click a zip file as it does on 1000s of other pcs. What is used to open a file has nothing to do with whether a file is corrupt or not fyi. Talk about not knowing how zip files work rofl.

I never thought for a moment that the game was not successful, as i said before i am commenting on the accessibilty of the Win back campagin not the game itself as i am yet to re-try it due to the accessibility problem, God!

I suggest that you don't take the critiicism of your beloved game to heart so much, and try and accurately decipher who is bashing and who is not, this will help you not coming across as elitist, arrogrant and ignorant, after the amount of post you have had this is something you should have already picked up :-(

Anyways i have said what i have to say in my first post, take or leave it, i am out of here, till maybe they offer a new and improved winback campagin which has better accessibility. CU.

DB

I have no idea how the AoC trail works as i have never tired it. So it may well be hilarious to you, but at the end of the day, both trials it seems, need some attention. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Again, i say that you may take it as bashing, i take it as constructive criticism, that's just symantics. Maybe i should added that i am a LOTROL fanboi as well then you would have not had the urge to respond in the way you did lol. How fickle are you that you can be aggrivated by such a simply sig.

It is not only the issue of the zip file by the way(pls read my post as it seems you have only read my sig :-P), and yes winzip runs on my pc when i double click a zip file as it does on 1000s of other pcs. What is used to open a file has nothing to do with whether a file is corrupt or not fyi. Talk about not knowing how zip files work rofl.

I never thought for a moment that the game was not successful, as i said before i am commenting on the accessibilty of the Win back campagin not the game itself as i am yet to re-try it due to the accessibility problem, God!

I suggest that you don't take the critiicism of your beloved game to heart so much, and try and accurately decipher who is bashing and who is not, this will help you not coming across as elitist, arrogrant and ignorant, after the amount of post you have had this is something you should have already picked up :-(

Anyways i have said what i have to say in my first post, take or leave it, i am out of here, till maybe they offer a new and improved winback campagin which has better accessibility. CU.

Allow me to respond first only to your problem (the rest is pointless again). You clearly have no idea about how file compression works. Not all ZIP format comresssion programs are the same, and I had countless cases where WinZip was clueless (babbling about corrupted files), but I could easily unzip those files with WinRar, 7Zip, or even with the built-in unzip tool of Total Commander (easiest way btw). You might even have just an outdated version on WinZIP. There are many options you haven't even tried.

I'd suggest you to try those first, and see what happens.  This whole little crusade would have been probably avoidable :)

DB

And finally, if you still don't get the point: the issue I brought up here is NOT the point that you are bashing the game. The problem with your comment(s) is that you are not even remotely interested in solving the supposed issue that you have. Any help I was trying to give has been rejected, and each comment of yours was full of borderline flaming, eagerly awaiting the conclusion, that was even put in bold text "I am out of here". Dude, it's pretty clear you didn't even have the intention of trying this game, you posted here only with the intention of telling everyone, how even the trial does not work. It was tricky, and clever in a way, but it wasn't easy to uncover the real motive.... so long :)

• RaizeenRaizeen Member Posts: 622

who the hell uses winzip lol get 7zip or winrar only nubs use winzip and this seems like its your side that is doing it wrong by the looks of it lol

Well, more priceless stuff here I haven't realized for first reading....

Seems you don't know about the generic free trial, that is available to everyone, anytime. That does precisely what you describe above. Anyone, at any time can try LOTRO. It is NOT tied to one week. So, another claim of yours is void.

The welcome back week, thus, is for vets. Vets are supposed to own the game, so they can install it, and then the updater will patch the game. YET another way to solve your issue.

You can hit back as much as you want, the subconscoius trolling in your post (full of ideas based on lack of knowledge as well) is pretty obvious. :)

DB