Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Guild Wars under-rated??

123457»

Comments

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143
    Originally posted by Tekaelon

Originally posted by JGMIII

Yeah it's one of the most underrated games.
    If my guild didnt implode on it self (I actually had a guild that pvp'd and did pve content together on a schedule) I would still be playing it today.
    So much freedom you basically level to twnety and have 90% of the game world to roam around.
    Pvp is excellent and the Dungeons were actually well done.
    Freaking class system was Epic, it's done right you get classes with a hidden skill system under the hood and ever evolving characters through Gear, pvp rankings/tourneys and a never ending list of skills and specs to play with.
    Shit I miss that game.

Man i do too! I miss nights with guildy's doing everything from PvE trips to UW/FOW/SF to GvG, HoH, and even AB. I miss the cool world, and especially my monk, which IMO is the best healing class ever contrived.  I miss helping people through the story, and outwitting a good mesmer in RA/TA. :) 

Nothing else comes close.

So true. I just skimmed this whole tread , and its strikes me how difficult it is for most to be fair to the game.

It's so difficult for haters and others just put of by the limits that is in that game model, to understand and apriciate how well done every thing that is in Guildwars really is. I truly wish that some of the big game compagnies behind the recently failures had realised their limits and made a good game within thesse, instead off what we had got lately.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

If my guild didnt implode on it self (I actually had a guild that pvp'd and did pve content together on a schedule) I would still be playing it today.
    So much freedom you basically level to twnety and have 90% of the game world to roam around.
    Freaking class system was Epic, it's done right you get classes with a hidden skill system under the hood and ever evolving characters through Gear, pvp rankings/tourneys and a never ending list of skills and specs to play with.
    Shit I miss that game.

Man i do too! I miss nights with guildy's doing everything from PvE trips to UW/FOW/SF to GvG, HoH, and even AB. I miss the cool world, and especially my monk, which IMO is the best healing class ever contrived.  I miss helping people through the story, and outwitting a good mesmer in RA/TA. :) 

So true but you also have to consider that alot of people on these forums do not consider GW to be a mmo so they will turn their heads to all the good things it does do.

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Originally posted by SaintViktor

Shit I miss that game.

So true but you also have to consider that alot of people on these forums do not consider GW to be a mmo so they will turn their heads to all the good things it does do.

Maybe GW wasn't a true MMO according to the traditional measuring stick. After playing those games though, I am extremely grateful that it was not! :) 

• erandurerandur Member Posts: 727

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Shit I miss that game.

Maybe GW wasn't a true MMO according to the traditional measuring stick. After playing those games though, I am extremely grateful that it was not! :) 

Amen! People have been ebggign for something that's not a WoW clone, and it already exists. If people actually wanted to like the game, but no, they quit after the first 'invisible' wall (which are from from invisible). 

You know it, the best way to realize your dreams is waking up and start moving, never lose hope and always keep up.

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

I've tried GW on numerous occasions and I just do not see what others enjoy about it. I like large worlds with a large population of players to interact with and open world PvP. GW is more instanced than WoW and the only PvP I found was boring arena style matches.

People can call it an MMO or anything they choose, but I just don't see anything Massively Multiplayer about a game that is all about small groups of people doing thier own thing. It's like calling the multiplayer version of Diablo or NWN an MMO. They are all great games but quite different from traditional MMO's like UO/EQ/WoW.

• masterbbb26masterbbb26 Member Posts: 181

GW is solid as hell. Anyone who complains about mmo's being too buggy should play this game. GW programmers know what there doing. The put DF and Vanguard programmers to shame. They knew what they could do with there budget and technology and didnt go overboard like the creaters of most mmo's coming out these days (TCOS, DF, Mortal).

PvE  is not underrated.......pve is alright but nothing special

However

PvP.......best in MMO history IMO. Its not perfect, but it sure as hells owns every other mmo in terms of balance. i dont get why anyone who loves pvp plays any other mmo. There all a joke compared to GW

Currently Playing: Fallen Earth
    Played and liked: TCOS, Vanguard, Guild Wars, DDO
    Played and didn't like: CO, MO, STO, DF, AoC, WAR, WoW, EQ2, EVE, most f2p
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, Secret World

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216
    Originally posted by masterbbb26

GW is solid as hell. Anyone who complains about mmo's being too buggy should play this game. GW programmers know what there doing. The put DF and Vanguard programmers to shame. They knew what they could do with there budget and technology and didnt go overboard like the creaters of most mmo's coming out these days (TCOS, DF, Mortal).

PvE  is not underrated.......pve is alright but nothing special

However

PvP.......best in MMO history IMO. Its not perfect, but it sure as hells owns every other mmo in terms of balance. i dont get why anyone who loves pvp plays any other mmo. There all a joke compared to GW

I'm about 1month into guild wars so i havent done much pvp yet but from what I've seen I'd have to agree. The strategy alone is enough to make pvp in other MMOs look bland and boring. I cant imagine going back to WoW or WAR after seeing what GWs has to offer.

As far as Pve goes, I'd say its underrated as well. What other MMO out there allows you to run the entire game solo or grouped, depending on your preference? GWs also takes you through a storyline which you actually feel part of, which is more then I can say for the other MMOs out these days.

My overall first impression of GWs is that its extremly under-rated because most look past it because of walls...I mean come on it runs the smoothest of any online game ive played. I love the instancing because it allows next to no lag. And the graphics are up to par with the current MMOs on the market without a doubt. Nightfall and Eye of the Storm has graphics I often find myself stopping and admiring because its so well done.

Guild Wars 2 is going is going to be amazing!! Open world pvp zones....mmmmm yummy!! LOL

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• erandurerandur Member Posts: 727
    Originally posted by Murashu

I've tried GW on numerous occasions and I just do not see what others enjoy about it. I like large worlds with a large population of players to interact with and open world PvP. GW is more instanced than WoW and the only PvP I found was boring arena style matches.
    People can call it an MMO or anything they choose, but I just don't see anything Massively Multiplayer about a game that is all about small groups of people doing thier own thing. It's like calling the multiplayer version of Diablo or NWN an MMO. They are all great games but quite different from traditional MMO's like UO/EQ/WoW.

At least you made 1 point, it's all arena PvP. I miss open PvP tbh, but GW's PvP is still by far the best. I'm afraid to say it, but I think it's the most fast paced PvP out there. I've had some experience in top guilds, and that PvP is great. It's way better than a few groups with size limits because the servers crash as soon as 4 raids collide. 

And I can write a whole article in the ways GW is more massive than WoW. I don't see you in WoW communicating with all 11 million players, while you can communicate with all off GW's 5.8 million (official number, from december 2008) players. ;)

You know it, the best way to realize your dreams is waking up and start moving, never lose hope and always keep up.

Originally posted by erandur

At least you made 1 point, it's all arena PvP. I miss open PvP tbh, but GW's PvP is still by far the best. I'm afraid to say it, but I think it's the most fast paced PvP out there. I've had some experience in top guilds, and that PvP is great. It's way better than a few groups with size limits because the servers crash as soon as 4 raids collide. 

And I can write a whole article in the ways GW is more massive than WoW. I don't see you in WoW communicating with all 11 million players, while you can communicate with all off GW's 5.8 million (official number, from december 2008) players. ;)

WoW PvP is OK, but totally unorganized. Most of the time it's people doing their own thing, with very little in the way of strategy. GW is all about strategy!.

• ClobClob Member Posts: 130

Somehow I managed to read through most of this thread with just a bit of skimming. I sure wish people would clip more when they reply with quote – would save on scrolling. Anyway, it’s rather humorous how the topic strayed off point for so many pages.

An answer to the question asked for in the op… In the prime of Guild Wars I don’t believe it was underrated much. In fact it was rated very highly, won multiple awards, number of sales and players increased consistently, and retention rate was very good from my perspective with the people in guild and friendly guilds. How it’s rated currently? I guess it could be considered underrated. It’s not mentioned as much anymore because of the situation everyone knows it’s in… cruise control until GW2. You’ll usually see comments about it as past tense. However, knowing the quality and total content available for what one has to pay for it all these days, it’s definitely well worth it. And, regardless of instances and definitions of mmo, GW still today feels much more alive and populated than some of the more recent games, especially during holiday events when specific hubs are pushing upwards of 150 districts. You will NEVER see that happen in a game such as AoC for example. For one it’s not possible with total players, but also because if there were a huge spike in population they’d (re)create additional servers that permanently separate everyone into blocks.

I’m always amused when I read comments such as, “it’s a pvp game,” and, “I finished it in a couple weeks/a month.” Those are usually included in posts following the question, “how did you spend over X,000 hours playing it?” and probably from those that played one campaign for two weeks. Nobody ‘finishes’ GW in a couple weeks. Yes, you may get through the mission storylines, but that’s no more the total of nor the end of pve playing in GW than it is hitting the level cap in other games. If a person believes that it is the end than they should just call themselves a pvp player and put a period on the end. There’s far, far more content, character progression and things to do ‘post-endgame’ in GW than in comparison to at least one game on my mind.

Many people like to comment on the low level cap of 20. I think everyone that’s ever played it or looked into playing it has wondered about that. Truth be told, it’s actually a good thing for several reasons in my opinion. I’ll only mention one… having a level cap of 20 leaves much more of the game world ‘playable.’ What I mean is that far fewer of the areas gray out and become pointless because you’ve exceeded the level range. I’ll compare to AoC again; that game world, while not large in the first place, basically becomes a world of a couple zones plus the raid instances once you hit the level cap. Most of GW’s game world to include all of EotN is for max level characters.

• Pro_PwnererPro_Pwnerer Member Posts: 51
    Originally posted by erandur

The pvp is fast paced, and balanced, but i found the 8 skill limit a total turn off. Also the fact that the skills don't look that great when your using them. The warrior skills just kinda hit, no like bang or anything just hit them, and they were chasing their target more half there time. same with the casters, there spells just like hit, atleast in WoW, when fireball hit the target, you saw like a little explosion on that target.

There might be 5.8 millions players that brought the game, but im pretty sure less than 1 million actually play it still.

i ran out of things to do after the first 5 months, which isn't bad.

• JGMIIIJGMIII Member Posts: 1,282

I think the whole "cruiser control" thing Anet is doing to GW1 is utter bullshit.

This game could have two more expansions by now, its not like the game is dated at all and it still looks fantastic.

I know they released a few content patches and continue to bug fix and balance the game but still they shouldn't just stop with the expansions/campaigns.

I really enjoy GW and imo giving up on it is lame even if its so they can create a sequel.

Playing: EvE, Ryzom

• benzjiebenzjie Member Posts: 81

are you serious?  i reckon thats only 1 campaign.

Been playing for 42 months, 6700 hours and still there is plenty of things to do.

Don't shoot the messenger.....it will ruin you monitor

• DarthTrowaDarthTrowa Member Posts: 3

I know they released a few content patches and continue to bug fix and balance the game but still they shouldn't just stop with the expansions/campaigns.
    I really enjoy GW and imo giving up on it is lame even if its so they can create a sequel.

I know, it's sad, don't get me wrong I love what ANet is doing. But deep down it saddens me that my hopes of a nighfall expansion would come. Still a very fun an enternainting game. I just wish I could make my mind up on my main Character.

originally posted by erandur 
    The pvp is fast paced, and balanced, but i found the 8 skill limit a total turn off. Also the fact that the skills don't look that great when your using them. The warrior skills just kinda hit, no like bang or anything just hit them, and they were chasing their target more half there time. same with the casters, there spells just like hit, atleast in WoW, when fireball hit the target, you saw like a little explosion on that target.
    There might be 5.8 millions players that brought the game, but im pretty sure less than 1 million actually play it still.

It's the 8 slot skill deck that sets the game apart.  It is the build nature of the game that sets it apart. The strategy of the build takes you form simple button mashing to actually thinking. Even better is when you are coordinating with decks.   There is nothing out there like it.  Having played in WoW BG's I can also say that GW PvP is much much better, however that's a matter of perspective

• iainiiaini Member Posts: 52

wow.. lot of flak in this thread.

Anywho, I'm loving GW and think it's highly under-rated, it has several components that just fit the way I play. I think the reason many people can't handle it is because they do go in with an extremely incorrect layer of expectations.

the GW social system is centered around towns and outposts.. not the outside world. That said you won't meet people mid-fight, instead you must meet people and then go do the fight. Most mmo's have a more indirect social meeting system where you just happen to be mid-fight or about to do a tough fight, someone else comes along so you do the fight together, find out they're pretty cool and "boom" new person on the friends list. GW is harder and doesn't work that way. You have to actively seek people out and be more direct and pro-active as my bosses say, in short you have to create the group for the situation as opposed to the situation creating a spur-of-the-moment group. Generally you don't see that happen in other mmo's except for very hard content (typically instanced), well all of GW is instanced.. so there you have it.

Another issue I love (but others hate) are the Heros and Henchmen. Sad but true, they are often better than most real players.. so in general it's less umm.. hectic.. to just HH a mission if possible than to try to form a group in town (and most people do this), which leads to the more socially driven player feeling left in the cold, then they put together some HH team, go out in the world and see nobody else which makes them feel even more alone. The GW solution to this is hardmode which can be ridiculously difficult to HH in some cases which drives more grouping, and the end-game areas such as FoW and Underworld where you can't HH at all (heroes yes, henchmen no).  But neither of those are really options until you've played a while and have a firm understanding of and access too various good builds for various situations.

Personally, my view of GuildWars is an MMORPLANG, Massively Multiplayer Online Role Play LAN (Party) Game, since it really is pretty good at filling in a spot where a group of friends get together and go do some missions, HM, Vanquishing, etc.

I think GW really appeals to a less socially driven gamer too, the gamer that's ok with grouping every once in a while but overall just goes out and does their own thing. My friends list in GW is pretty short, maybe.. 5 people tops, they're exceptionally good players I've met and 2 I know IRL. I could get a longer list, I play a Mesmer and at the end of factions I couldn't log into a mission outpost without some type of group invite, but I knew I was fine on my own so I turned them down.

As for Immersion, my immersion comes from the world, the quests, and the stories told in it... not other players.

>_> <_< ^_^