Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm glad this game comes out after I leave the country...

2»

Comments

• SykishisanSykishisan Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

Originally posted by Oyjord

Originally posted by Dameonk

I'd rather stay home playing Aion... but... I'm a nerd.

Im with this guy...

Fuck backpacking in some outback third world country.

Says the person who is destined to live a small, worthless, lonely little life.  Travel is the single greatest thing a person can do with their time and money.  It opens your eyes to the world around you, taking you out of your shell of ignorance, making you a better person.

On my death bed I'll think of my wife and daughter and all the places around the world I've been to, thankful to them all for making my short time on Earth a happy, pleasant one.

On your death bed you'll be sad, alone, and wondering why you wasted your life behind your keyboard.  How pathetic.

Traveling the globe, bragging about the fact that you have disposable income is the single greatest thing you can do with your money?

Not donating to cancer research?

Giving to the poor?

Adopting an abandoned child?

Hell, adopting an abandoned animal?

No the single greatest thing you can do with your time and money, is travel the world?

You sound like those morons who go on survivor and win a million dollars for surviving a summer in countries that PEOPLE ALREADY LIVE IN!

"Oh my good, it was absolutely amazing, i left my Benz, and my 500 000 home behind, and all other worldly positions to go around the South African bush and see the little native kids trying to not to swallow their tongue for nurrishment, it was ABSOLUTLY AMAZING!"

You dont know me, and the whole backpacking, world traveling thing people like you do is just so you can make those kind of statements.

I am better then you because i found some joy out of doing something absolutely trivial and you didnt, i assure you, i will live quite a full life, even if i never experience the cold shaky feeling of Malaria, and not having indoor plumbing.

Visiting another countries shit holes is nothing to be proud of, there is a reason why people in south america are making their way north.

You and i have different goals in life, and sorry to say, mine isnt globetrotting. And i am not ashamed to say i have no interest in going to any country that has less technology then the one im currently in.

And when im on my death bed, i will say with a grand ole smile: " IM GLAD I DIDNT GO BACKPACKING THROUGH SOUTH FUCKING AMERICA"

I support this post. 

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by soflasurfr

Originally posted by comerb

Originally posted by Richijefe

Originally posted by neorandom

lol backpacking in south america in their spring?  enjoy the malaria!

That is some mighty ignorant statement, malaria is not widespread in southamerica, and mostly the "outbreaks" of malaria are limited to the amazonas region. Besides malaria is treatable.

There is other diseases that he might more likely come into contact with such as cholera. Also treatable anyways.

Anyhow enjoy your backpacking trip, southamerica is a beautiful continent, so much to see.

I only personally know one guy from the states that's spent any time in South America... it just so happens he almost died from malaria.  That's warning enough for me.

I would like to see Buenos Aires though...

The potential diseases and that show "locked up abroad" scares away a lot of gringo's (which is perfectly fine by me - more latina's for me)

I'll get my booster vaccines and bring meds with me stuff like malaria. 

in that case, it sounds like you will need something to protect you from the STD's instead. South American girls will sleep with just about anything. Just be happy you will probably go where 100 dudes and a donkey went before.

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by ronan32

Originally posted by comerb

Originally posted by Richijefe

That is some mighty ignorant statement, malaria is not widespread in southamerica, and mostly the "outbreaks" of malaria are limited to the amazonas region. Besides malaria is treatable.

There is other diseases that he might more likely come into contact with such as cholera. Also treatable anyways.

Anyhow enjoy your backpacking trip, southamerica is a beautiful continent, so much to see.

I only personally know one guy from the states that's spent any time in South America... it just so happens he almost died from malaria.  That's warning enough for me.

I would like to see Buenos Aires though...

All you yanks are paranoid to leave your country lol.

Is it your government that instills this fear in you all?

Paranoia? or rather we just dont like meeting judgmental cocky misinformed foreigners like yourself? Fact is, statistics show that the highest percentage of tourist come from the USA. The only paranoid people are those who feel the need to appear better than those from the US. Hint hint.

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914
    Originally posted by Rabenwolf

Paranoia? or rather we just dont like meeting judgmental cocky misinformed foreigners like yourself? Fact is, statistics show that the highest percentage of tourist come from the USA. The only paranoid people are those who feel the need to appear better than those from the US. Hint hint.

Just for fun I tried finding the actual statistics for foreign travel.  I could only find one article from 2006 saying US was #3. Germany being #1 and UK being #2.

It also, interestingly, said that China and Japan will most likely be #2 and #3 by 2020.

Unfortunately I could not find any more up-to-date statistics.

Link.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Correction: Enjoy the kidnapping. Hope your relatives are rich.

• Ngeldu5tNgeldu5t Member UncommonPosts: 608

Im with this guy...

Says the person who is destined to live a small, worthless, lonely little life.  Travel is the single greatest thing a person can do with their time and money.  It opens your eyes to the world around you, taking you out of your shell of ignorance, making you a better person.

On my death bed I'll think of my wife and daughter and all the places around the world I've been to, thankful to them all for making my short time on Earth a happy, pleasant one.

On your death bed you'll be sad, alone, and wondering why you wasted your life behind your keyboard.  How pathetic.

Traveling the globe, bragging about the fact that you have disposable income is the single greatest thing you can do with your money?

Giving to the poor?

No the single greatest thing you can do with your time and money, is travel the world?

You sound like those morons who go on survivor and win a million dollars for surviving a summer in countries that PEOPLE ALREADY LIVE IN!

"Oh my good, it was absolutely amazing, i left my Benz, and my 500 000 home behind, and all other worldly positions to go around the South African bush and see the little native kids trying to not to swallow their tongue for nurrishment, it was ABSOLUTLY AMAZING!"

You dont know me, and the whole backpacking, world traveling thing people like you do is just so you can make those kind of statements.

I am better then you because i found some joy out of doing something absolutely trivial and you didnt, i assure you, i will live quite a full life, even if i never experience the cold shaky feeling of Malaria, and not having indoor plumbing.

Visiting another countries shit holes is nothing to be proud of, there is a reason why people in south america are making their way north.

You and i have different goals in life, and sorry to say, mine isnt globetrotting. And i am not ashamed to say i have no interest in going to any country that has less technology then the one im currently in.

And when im on my death bed, i will say with a grand ole smile: " IM GLAD I DIDNT GO BACKPACKING THROUGH SOUTH FUCKING AMERICA"

There are more dangerous things there than malaria,cholera,chikungunya or even the chupacabra. If i refer to your logic any country with less technology is worthless to your eyes?

I wish when you are on your death bed you won`t say "DAMN WITH ALL OUR TECHNOLOGY,I CAN'T FIND SOME ATROPIN".There can be an outbreak of anything,anytime...may it be natural or man made.Take a look at what's happening in the world.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8154419.stm

In the land of Predators,the lion does not fear the jackals...

• MokweeMokwee Member Posts: 286

Im with this guy...

Giving to the poor?

Quoted post is win

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402
    Originally posted by pleasenjoi93

Im with this guy...

Giving to the poor?

Traveling the world, as I see, helps someone become a better person. It's not about money, it's not about materials, it's about discovering a world you've never been to. Have you ever read Into The Wild? I just finished it and it was amazing. The kid abandoned his car, donated his money, and basically emancipated himself from his family. Then he entered the world and grew from it. He started a new life from scratch, surviving without any strings or obligations. THAT'S what traveling is about. Now I'm not saying your way of living is worse or anything, just clearing things up. You know If I went traveling I'd want to experience malaria at least once, just to know what it's like. Just to know what its like is, I'd say, the essence of traveling.

I dont know what AIDS is like, and i assure you i dont want to experience it just once just to know what its like.

Traveling the world doesnt make you a better person, you make it sound like a spiritual pilgrimage, its not, its a vacation. A break from the mundane, nothing more then that.

Into the Wild is not a vacation, that dude wasnt traveling he moved to Alaska, to live of the land, im sure backpacking OP isnt moving to whatever shit hole jungle he plans on visiting to live off the land.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by Ngeldu5t

Im with this guy...

Giving to the poor?

There are more dangerous things there than malaria,cholera,chikungunya or even the chupacabra. If i refer to your logic any country with less technology is worthless to your eyes?

I wish when you are on your death bed you won`t say "DAMN WITH ALL OUR TECHNOLOGY,I CAN'T FIND SOME ATROPIN".There can be an outbreak of anything,anytime...may it be natural or man made.Take a look at what's happening in the world.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8154419.stm

You're absolutely right, there can be an outbreak of anything, anywhere and anytime. So instead of staying in the developed world, where the swine flu is but a minor inconvenience, you'd rather go to South America where swine flu cases are on the rise and where kidnappings are an every day occurrence and where people lack access to safe drinking water?

I'd rather visit places where I have access to free wifi. Funny thing though, how a lot of people from South America are dying to get to the US and you have yuppies backpacking through it thinking that they are doing the world a favor and somehow enriching their lives.

Want to know how to really enrich your life and do the world a favor? Adopt a kid or a puppy or something. Hell, adopt a kid and a puppy--save the poor animal from PETA.

• syztecsyztec Member Posts: 114
    Originally posted by soflasurfr

cause I know if it it came out before I might not take off on a 3 month backpacking trip in south america. Do let me know if its still fun after you all hit max level.

Have a great trip !!!,  Aion will still be here when you get back.

Real Life Exp > Virtual exp.

• soflasurfrsoflasurfr Member Posts: 31

Traveling is not so different then exploring and leveling up a toon in a new MMO.  What I like about MMO's is the same thing I like about backpacking. Seeing new landsacpes, meeting new people and making new friends,  experiencing new things.

Sure there's actual risk in backpacking to third world countries. But damn its worth it!

I quest while I back pack too; quest for new experiences, quest for fun (and love), quest to learn new tricks (languages mostly). You definitely level up quicker when you travel then you do in the comfort of "our first world country".

You guys that haven't left your own country really should try it before you mock it. It does change you, permanently, but in a good way.