Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Returning Vet EU

Hey all,

I bought the collectors edition of the game when it first came out and played for around 2-3 months, but in the end quit playing due to issues I was having with lag (had to reload every 30 mins or so due to what appeared to be a memory leak) and issues finding reliable groups (went in as a solo player). I decided to come back about a year ago to see if the problem with lag had been resolved but I was still having the same issue (didnt appear to be happening to everyone but it was definately affecting me [was using a high end system at the time]).

Well yesterday I decided to give it another try wdue to a mate going on holiday and insisting I take a 3 week break from AoC. I started patching the game last night, left it running over night and had a quick go this morning before work. I can happily say that the lag issue appears to be fixed, but it was hard to test as the server I went to only had 1 other player in the Archet starting zone.

My question is this, what is a good PVE server to play on? The server I tried that APPEARED dead was Laurelin [EU-RP]. Also any guilds that would be interested in showing a returning Vet the ropes as I'm sure a lot has changed then please let me know :)

Comments

• darkcircuitdarkcircuit Member Posts: 211

Anyone? Come on there must be someone on this forum who plays LoTRO EU. If there isnt then this game is deader than AoC cos that forum is full of people posting.

• feena750feena750 Member UncommonPosts: 330

I have heard EU servers are quite a bit less populated than US.  I can't really help you with a suggestion though.

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757

All the servers are PVE :)

It is probably Snowbourn which is the most populated, I'm on it and there's a good crowd everywhere. You won't be disappointed, but don't forget that until level 5-6, you are still in the newbie instance. Once you get to Bree, you'll see the real picture (crowd around).

BTW, this forum being quiet is actually a sign of the game being excellent... people are playing instead of posting, and trolls have almost zero grounds left for bashing the game either... very unlike AOC :D to be PC.

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

Originally posted by feena750

I have heard EU servers are quite a bit less populated than US.  I can't really help you with a suggestion though.

Err... that's a negative, I'm completely sure this is false info.

DB

Excellent :) I'll jump onto Snowbourn tonight :)

• WARCRYtmWARCRYtm Member Posts: 875
    Originally posted by feena750

I believe it's really the opposite, all servers in EU are full, for what i see inthis forums the same doesn't occur on the US servers.

LotRO has something like 300k Players, and seems to be growing, i see lots of new players in all EU english servers, since MoM. LotRO have much more people playing than AoC, no doubt.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

I dont understand. Laurelin appeared dead? Care to elaborate?

I play on Snowbourn and Laurelin and both are extremly full - I wish they'd be much less populated.

REALITY CHECK

I think it also had something to do with the time I was playing :)

Well I started a Guardian on Snowbourn on friday and I'm enjoying it so far :) The lag/memory leak issue seems to have been resolved and it plays very smoothly on my rig unlike AoC (AoC's graphics are superior, but its a close run thing) [Yes Im playing on DX10 with graphics on full]. Only a level 17 so far and my maximum level char from when I used to play is only 27 so I hope the game grips me for longer this time. Think my problem last time was that I was playing on my own and even though I did get into a kinship, I still felt like a bit of an outsider. This time I am playing with my gf so hopefully I wont get bored so quickly :)

Maybe someone could give me a bit of advice? I got a quest to kill 'Jagger Jack', which stated that it was a fellowship quest but it only took 2 of us to complete it (I'm sure I could have completed it on my own). Is there somewhere were I can see the recommended number of people required for a fellowship quest ingame? The reason I ask is that I dont want to spend ages looking for a fellowship only to find out I could solo it at a higher level or that I only required 1 more person (by the way I think its kinda cool that fellowship quests dont always require a full group).

Originally posted by Thillian

I dont understand. Laurelin appeared dead? Care to elaborate?

I play on Snowbourn and Laurelin and both are extremly full - I wish they'd be much less populated.

True. Nowadays if I logon on weekends, between 10 AM and 10 PM, I get the "server crowded" icon (saying something like my awareness of the surrounding areas have been reduced in order to avoid pressure on server, or something like that) more often than not.

It's a bit weird tho, I thought they just upgraded them? Or maybe it was in the US only.

DB

• LordKyellanLordKyellan Member Posts: 160

I am actually a recently returned vet myself, having played for about 8 months after launch and just returned to the game this past week.

One of the things I've noticed is that in the interim, Turbine has revamped a lot of the early quests and tweaked the difficulty and experience gain. My new Elf Warden is level 15 and I was able to do the Ered Luin starting quests (including the Epic Book quests that I am certain used to require a fellowship) completely solo. 

Not that I'm complaining, since my server (Elendilmir (US) ) seems to be pretty quiet in the low levels. It was nice to be able to get through the quests without having to spam "LFF Book1 Epic Quests!" for hours before being able to get through them.

I would assume that even though the servers are separated that the game is the same in the US and the EU, so it's likely that you're seeing the fellowship quests that can now be soloed because the difficulty has been tweaked.

Hope this helps!

--------

"Give a man a fire, and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life."

• samelizabethsamelizabeth Member Posts: 69

I recently reactivated and started playing on EU Evernight, which seems to have a decent population, you always see kins recuriting, and there is usually some OOC chitchat going on.

Originally posted by darkcircuit

I think it also had something to do with the time I was playing :)
    Well I started a Guardian on Snowbourn on friday and I'm enjoying it so far :) The lag/memory leak issue seems to have been resolved and it plays very smoothly on my rig unlike AoC (AoC's graphics are superior, but its a close run thing) [Yes Im playing on DX10 with graphics on full]. Only a level 17 so far and my maximum level char from when I used to play is only 27 so I hope the game grips me for longer this time. Think my problem last time was that I was playing on my own and even though I did get into a kinship, I still felt like a bit of an outsider. This time I am playing with my gf so hopefully I wont get bored so quickly :)
    Maybe someone could give me a bit of advice? I got a quest to kill 'Jagger Jack', which stated that it was a fellowship quest but it only took 2 of us to complete it (I'm sure I could have completed it on my own). Is there somewhere were I can see the recommended number of people required for a fellowship quest ingame? The reason I ask is that I dont want to spend ages looking for a fellowship only to find out I could solo it at a higher level or that I only required 1 more person (by the way I think its kinda cool that fellowship quests dont always require a full group)

Well, in theory there are 3 types of quests, concerning required size of groups to finish (excluding raids this time): Solo, small fellowship, fellowship. These require 1,3 and 6 players by default.

But of course, this is flexible. 3 skilled level 18 players can do a lvl 15 full fellowship (6-man) quest usually. Also, 5 lvl 24 players might not be good to do a level 28 small FS quest - you get the idea. It all depends on level ranges too.

A level 50 can solo a level 25 full fellowship quest, and so on :)

Also, FS and small FS quests had been made easier gradually in the last year... some even so that they had been "degraded" from full FS to small FS, or even to solo (some).

Game has been constantly made easier, which is a double-edged sword, and received just as much criticism as praise.

DB

But how do I tell if the quest is a small fellowship quest or requires a full fellowship? From what I could see there is no way to tell, without trying out the quest and seeing if you need more people to complete it. Its cool if thats the answer, was just wondering if there was something I was missing :)

Originally posted by LordKyellan

I am actually a recently returned vet myself, having played for about 8 months after launch and just returned to the game this past week.
    One of the things I've noticed is that in the interim, Turbine has revamped a lot of the early quests and tweaked the difficulty and experience gain. My new Elf Warden is level 15 and I was able to do the Ered Luin starting quests (including the Epic Book quests that I am certain used to require a fellowship) completely solo. 
    Not that I'm complaining, since my server (Elendilmir (US) ) seems to be pretty quiet in the low levels. It was nice to be able to get through the quests without having to spam "LFF Book1 Epic Quests!" for hours before being able to get through them.
    I would assume that even though the servers are separated that the game is the same in the US and the EU, so it's likely that you're seeing the fellowship quests that can now be soloed because the difficulty has been tweaked.
    Hope this helps!

Confirmed. Starting area quests are reformed in such a way, that running up and down long distances between 2 locations had been mostly eliminated. You do all quests on a small area, then you move on, do the next bundle of quests in the next area, then you move again - this has eliminated the totally pointless timesink caused by just moving around.

On the other hand, it also made levelling even quicker....

DB

But how do I tell if the quest is a small fellowship quest or requires a full fellowship? From what I could see there is no way to tell, without trying out the quest and seeing if you need more people to complete it. Its cool if thats the answer, was just wondering if there was something I was missing :)

Ah, that is very simple. The quest icon shows it. 3 small heads in a triangle: Full felloship quest. 3 heads "behind" each other: small FS quests. If you move your cursor over the icon, it also tells you.

If you don't see any small heads, it's a solo quest.

DB

Thats strange cos I coulda sworn that the jagger jack quest had 3 small heads in a triangle and I 100% moused over the fellowship icon and all the tooptip said was 'Fellowship'. Maybe they heavily nerfed that quest and didnt get around to updating its status because I remember that quest being a lot harder when I used to play

• samelizabethsamelizabeth Member Posts: 69

For the most part, the fellowship quests in the Shire, Ered Luin and Breeland mobs that were elite have been changed to signature.  after these three start zones, some mobs have been changed to sig, like the trolls in North Downs, but for the most part the difficulty of quests after the first initial zones remain unchanged.

I am unsure if their fellowship raiting have been changed in the quest log.

Thats strange cos I coulda sworn that the jagger jack quest had 3 small heads in a triangle and I 100% moused over the fellowship icon and all the tooptip said was 'Fellowship'. Maybe they heavily nerfed that quest and didnt get around to updating its status because I remember that quest being a lot harder when I used to play

As I mentioned above: most FS quests had been made easier....  your memories don't deceive you :)

DB

Now you mention it I remember that Jagger Jack was indeed a signature mob, I just assumed that signature meant he was elite and therefore required a group. Seems like they havent updated the quest information. Thanks for the feedback :)

Edit: Typo