Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Combat Revamp, any plans on eliminating kill stealing ?

I havent really followed the game much since I last left and have no idea what is planned for the revamp. So anyway, after having played some newer mmorpgs I found one thing quite nice and that was the lack of KS. Are there any plans for SWG to switch to a newer combat mode like WoW or EQ2 ?

Comments

• 51505150 Member UncommonPosts: 222
    care to explain how someone can kill steal?

• admriker444admriker444 Member Posts: 1,526

Originally posted by 5150

Lol, spoken like a master rifleman out taking krayts from someone. This attitude and mentality created by an inept game is EXACTLY why I left in the first place. Punk kids who check their morality at the firewall door.

Okay junior, kill stealing is anytime you come along and take away someone else's mobs. I know you're used to SWG where anything goes and whoever outdamages wins but its not like that in next gen mmorpgs. Newer games have a system where first to engage a mob gets it.

Now before you complain about such a system, listen up. This is exactly whats wrong with SWG. For me to stand a chance in SWG I must make my toon a master swordsman / Rifleman to compete for krayts and other loot dropping ubber mobs. This is ultimately where SWG went wrong. After a few months of getting a mob taken from you, everyone switched to the one profession that stood a chance. Next thing, everyone is same profession.

Now in newer games, since KS no longer exists everyone is free to choose any profession they want. Nobody is afraid they'll get stuck with a template less than powerful than the next guy. In fact, I could care less about the other's guy's template because he cant take a kill from me. Nothing worse than spending hours looking for a rare mob only to have some jerk come along and take it because his profession hits harder.

SOE recognized the flaws in this KS system in SWG because they didnt use the same formula for EQ2. Therefore, Im hopeful they'll bring it over to SWG and perhaps bring a sense of normalcy back to the game. Maybe you'll even see a carbineer again one day

Originally posted by admriker444

Originally posted by 5150

Lol, spoken like a master rifleman out taking krayts from someone. This attitude and mentality created by an inept game is EXACTLY why I left in the first place. Punk kids who check their morality at the firewall door.
    Okay junior, kill stealing is anytime you come along and take away someone else's mobs. I know you're used to SWG where anything goes and whoever outdamages wins but its not like that in next gen mmorpgs. Newer games have a system where first to engage a mob gets it.
    Now before you complain about such a system, listen up. This is exactly whats wrong with SWG. For me to stand a chance in SWG I must make my toon a master swordsman / Rifleman to compete for krayts and other loot dropping ubber mobs. This is ultimately where SWG went wrong. After a few months of getting a mob taken from you, everyone switched to the one profession that stood a chance. Next thing, everyone is same profession.
    Now in newer games, since KS no longer exists everyone is free to choose any profession they want. Nobody is afraid they'll get stuck with a template less than powerful than the next guy. In fact, I could care less about the other's guy's template because he cant take a kill from me. Nothing worse than spending hours looking for a rare mob only to have some jerk come along and take it because his profession hits harder.
    SOE recognized the flaws in this KS system in SWG because they didnt use the same formula for EQ2. Therefore, Im hopeful they'll bring it over to SWG and perhaps bring a sense of normalcy back to the game. Maybe you'll even see a carbineer again one day

WHOA slow down there kido - I was actually interested in your definition of killstealing (so I could give you an accurate answer). For your information I'm a droid engineer/merchant first and a Carbineer second so that pretty much shows that your assumptions about me are just about as wrong as they could have been.

So basically you want a system where the minute you engage a MOB no one else can lay a hand on it (or if they do you still get xp/loot because you attacked first)?

I very much doubt the rebalance is going to change that (in fact I'm certain it wont even though I'm not in the rebalance beta)

I'm steering clear of my personal opinions on the subject of 'kill stealing'but I will say one thing (again)

Why the frell dont you just leave this damn game so we dont have to listen to you belly ache about it anymore - dude you really are a sucker for punishment arent you! How many times do you need to quit or how many things do you have to complain about before you get the damn message that your never going to like the game?

• panachepanache Member UncommonPosts: 397

I havent really followed the game much since I last left and have no idea what is planned for the revamp. So anyway, after having played some newer mmorpgs I found one thing quite nice and that was the lack of KS. Are there any plans for SWG to switch to a newer combat mode like WoW or EQ2 ?

Still can't let SWG die can you Riker image For the love of Ada decide if your going to play this game with all it's faults or move on to something else. The once valid points you made against SWG and SOE have long since died with your continued returns to SWG and even a trial of another SOE game EQ2.

But to answer your question on killstealing... There is killstealing in almost all probability in all mmorpgs. Even my greatest love Daoc had it. It all comes down to how much the community treats and respects other players.

Pan

Pan

• admriker444admriker444 Member Posts: 1,526
    Actually there is no KS in eq2 or wow because of the first to hit rule. And yes Im hopful that something like this along with a return to grouping is implemented in SWG again. Myself and many others who dont care for the current game are hoping it gets fixed. My last hope is the combat revamp, if things dont change a great deal I will then completely write off SWG from my PC. Yes Im a hardcore Star Wras fan, so Im ever hopeful something good happens like a return to the first months before doc buffs, ubber armor screwed everything up.

Actually there is no KS in eq2 or wow because of the first to hit rule. And yes Im hopful that something like this along with a return to grouping is implemented in SWG again. Myself and many others who dont care for the current game are hoping it gets fixed. My last hope is the combat revamp, if things dont change a great deal I will then completely write off SWG from my PC. Yes Im a hardcore Star Wras fan, so Im ever hopeful something good happens like a return to the first months before doc buffs, ubber armor screwed everything up.

While your goal is admirable I can just see the griefing the system you propse would bring - griefers would 'tag' every MOB in range with a single [first] hit just to stop other players from being able to engage in combat.

The best I think you could ever hope/ask for is the JTL system where everyone who lands a hit gets the xp but the main damage dealer gets the loot

• SpaceEggSpaceEgg Member Posts: 2

First to hit is exactly what swg needs i originaly quit playing the gamebecause of my frustration with this, 6 months ago on eclipse it was imposible to go kryat hunting by your self even tho i could do it with ease
    master swords/master fencer/master brawler, it was just imposible tho the moment one would spawn there would be 2 sometimes 3 guilds with 10+ ppl apiece rdy

that was the only thing i enjoyed about eq2, i miss swg because of friends and being able to pvp

Originally posted by SpaceEgg

First to hit is exactly what swg needs i originaly quit playing the gamebecause of my frustration with this, 6 months ago on eclipse it was imposible to go kryat hunting by your self even tho i could do it with ease
    master swords/master fencer/master brawler, it was just imposible tho the moment one would spawn there would be 2 sometimes 3 guilds with 10+ ppl apiece rdy
    that was the only thing i enjoyed about eq2, i miss swg because of friends and being able to pvp

Can't see how the first to hit policy would help you.....3 guilds with 10 people in each group would i believe have more chance of hitting each mob first....right?

Can't blame the guilds either for holding a guild event either....afterall thats how the game should be played....not some guy taking on ultra hard mobs only because over uber templates, armour and buffs!

Pan

Pan

• Originally posted by SpaceEgg

The accepted, general definition of Kill Stealing is:

1. A player and/or group of players go into a zone/area to hunt monsters. Everytime they start a fight with a new monster, some other player and/or group immediatly target that monster and KILL it. STEALING ALL XP AND LOOT. This forces the first player and/or group to either log off, or leave... since they cannot get any xp or loot.

SWG does not have kill stealing. Who ever starts a fight with a monster can still gain xp, even if another player and/or group later on joins the fight. As for killing it.... hey It MAKES SENSE that a GROUP of 10+ players will be able to kill an uber monster FASTER than a single player can.

Let's see:

1. The current way in SWG = Everyone and anyone can attack a monster, no matter who starts fighting it. Everyone who attacks it and lands a hit/shot gets some form of xp. Depending on the damage they do. The player and/or group who does the most damage gets looting rights, and the most xp. If you are soloing monsters and there is a guild nearby with 10+ members .... it does not matter!!! No matter what you will get SOME EXPERIENCE!!

2. The way you whiners are proposing. (Yes I called you whiners because after you all have made TONS of posts on how much you dislike SWG, why are you STILL PLAYING?!? Or pretending you play?!?) = the player who lands the first shot/hit automatically enters a locked, personal, fight with the monster. No other players and/or groups are allowed to join the fight. Well guess what? Just as it was pointed out by a level headed poster above.... if you are hunting any monster alone, and there is a guild nearby with 10+ members... all they have to do is tag every spawn with just 1 hit. This means absolutly NO CHANCE FOR YOU to hunt anything!

The current way SWG works makes sense, and is the best way currently possible. GONE are the old game mechanics in EQ, and other MMORPGs, in which a guild can litterally rule and area/zone. Forcing other players to log off. I have not played EQ2 yet. I am on purpose waiting 1-2 months before diving into it. So I will see for myself what the PvE features are like. I'm not going to rely on what the starter of this thread claims EQ PvE is like. imageimage

-Personal Website
    http://www.geocities.com/xplororor/index.html
    -AC, AC2, AO, EQ, SWG:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor
    http://community.webshots.com/user/captain_sica_xol
    -EverQuest II:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_eq2archives01
    -EQ, Dungeon Siege, Diablo II, *UXO*:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_archives01
    -EVE Online !!!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/sica_xol_archives01
    DAoC
    http://community.webshots.com/user/sica_xol_archives02

Originally posted by xplororor

Originally posted by SpaceEgg

The accepted, general definition of Kill Stealing is:

1. A player and/or group of players go into a zone/area to hunt monsters. Everytime they start a fight with a new monster, some other player and/or group immediatly target that monster and KILL it. STEALING ALL XP AND LOOT. This forces the first player and/or group to either log off, or leave... since they cannot get any xp or loot.

SWG does not have kill stealing. Who ever starts a fight with a monster can still gain xp, even if another player and/or group later on joins the fight. As for killing it.... hey It MAKES SENSE that a GROUP of 10+ players will be able to kill an uber monster FASTER than a single player can.

Let's see:

1. The current way in SWG = Everyone and anyone can attack a monster, no matter who starts fighting it. Everyone who attacks it and lands a hit/shot gets some form of xp. Depending on the damage they do. The player and/or group who does the most damage gets looting rights, and the most xp. If you are soloing monsters and there is a guild nearby with 10+ members .... it does not matter!!! No matter what you will get SOME EXPERIENCE!!

No killstealing in SWG...Hmm. I remember when i was a MBH with a ranger and pistoleer at the Geo cave our kills and loot were claimed by a buffed master swordsman. Yes you are right we did get xp but we were there for loot not xp. I quote the swordsman "You three may as well piss off cos you have no chance of getting any rights to loot while i'm here"

And he was right we didn't :P

2. The way you whiners are proposing. (Yes I called you whiners because after you all have made TONS of posts on how much you dislike SWG, why are you STILL PLAYING?!? Or pretending you play?!?) = the player who lands the first shot/hit automatically enters a locked, personal, fight with the monster. No other players and/or groups are allowed to join the fight. Well guess what? Just as it was pointed out by a level headed poster above.... if you are hunting any monster alone, and there is a guild nearby with 10+ members... all they have to do is tag every spawn with just 1 hit. This means absolutly NO CHANCE FOR YOU to hunt anything!

The current way SWG works makes sense, and is the best way currently possible. GONE are the old game mechanics in EQ, and other MMORPGs, in which a guild can litterally rule and area/zone. Forcing other players to log off. I have not played EQ2 yet. I am on purpose waiting 1-2 months before diving into it. So I will see for myself what the PvE features are like. I'm not going to rely on what the starter of this thread claims EQ PvE is like. imageimage

-Personal Website
    http://www.geocities.com/xplororor/index.html
    -AC, AC2, AO, EQ, SWG:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor
    http://community.webshots.com/user/captain_sica_xol
    -EverQuest II:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_eq2archives01
    -EQ, Dungeon Siege, Diablo II, *UXO*:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_archives01
    -EVE Online !!!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/sica_xol_archives01
    DAoC
    http://community.webshots.com/user/sica_xol_archives02

Pan

Pan

• RammurRammur Member Posts: 575
    KSing is annoying as hell in everygame i play but it really nothin ta cry and moan about i dont ks people or nija loot gear from em.They ks from me and i simply o yeah whatever walk away kill another mob and what not.I kinda roleplay as i go so the game not all about the hunting.But whats annoyin about ksing when someone kses you and they know it and they follow you around just so they can annoy the hell outa ya.***just confused myself with this post so ill leave it at that**image