Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Matrix Online closes... *sigh*

In my never ending search for the right MMO, I stumbled across Matrix Online... I chose today to show interest in it, for what reason I can not say. And today, Sony adds The Matrix Online to a seemingly growing MMO graveyard...

I feel I have to share, this has been my gaming week:

I never tried AC, and heard great things about it... I downloaded it, and after two hours logged out and canceled my account- not enough people, too dated to put my full swing in. 

I downloaded EQ (the game that sucked me in to MMO's) and got a CTD everytime I tried to full screen... Canceled it...

I went back to VG... low server pop drove me away.... I went to look for Horizons, they changed the name- lost the old accounts, reminds me of a bad scam.

I checked out the DDO:EU beta- promising, but release was pushed back and the general population of whining just made me sad.

I went back to WoW... still 80... still flying in circles...

I tried Ryzom- amazing game- low pop, too far behind to have fun

SWG- still not the SWG I loved... but did I love that everyone I saw was a jedi...

Matrix online... yea, no download, only videos online of the final days of its life.

Etc. Etc. Etc.... *sigh* *bitch* moan*

The saddest part about Matrix closing is that I had forgotten its existence till today, the day it closes... I wonder how many others will come to see the deaths of MMO's they once loved.

Anyone here play Matrix Online? Care to share some good memories? I think a testament or two is in order.

ALL YOUR PLAYER BASE ARE BELONG TO KITTY!

Comments

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Matrix online was one of the most under rated games ever, deserved alot more than it got.

Played the game to near cap, made some really good friends, and really enjoyed the way missions worked and felt.

Great game, I blame the people who never bothered to try it.

• VeridicVeridic Member Posts: 72
    Originally posted by Wolfenpride

Matrix online was one of the most under rated games ever, deserved alot more than it got.
    Played the game to near cap, made some really good friends, and really enjoyed the way missions worked and felt.

My bad =/... I mean, I WAS going to right?... :)

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

I beta tested it, and played for a while after launch.  (until they killed Mopheus)

Back in the day, when we had Radio Free Zion, and the game felt ALIVE, it was a LOT of fun. I had some great PVP moments once the truce broke, and some great times with the live events team.....meeting Morpheus on a rooftop, and having him tell me to gather my crew for a "secret meeting" in a basement....which the Mervs tried to gatecrash, and we had a hell of a fight getting Morpheus to a hardline...

I think of ALL the games I've played, MxO made me feel the most like I was part of a world, and that what I did mattered.

When the truce broke, we were all gathered around the hardline, battle lines drawn....the zone went PVP, and in that moment I felt the rush of weeks of tension explode into a battle that we had all been waiting so long for. RFZ was blasing battle music and reporting on events as they happened, as the war swept across the construct. There was no lag. There was nothing to break the immersion, the feeling that I was fighting for Zion, and that our fight really mattered.

It's an incredible shame that no other game has even bothered to TRY to capture tha kind of feeling. And I kind of wish that I had not quit....but when Morpheus died, the game lost it's spirit, and I felt so disconnected from the story.

I remember collecting fragments of Neo's last thoughts from the "Neo Agents" that infected the construct....the chill that ran down my spine when I read them....

"...I wish I could tell her how much I love her..."

That breaks me up to this day.

So much potential....and another game driven into the ground by SOE.

• Predator160Predator160 Member Posts: 128

I did indeed have a bit o fun in Matrix Online...

Killing random baddies in the strees with my Kung Fu fighting trenchcoat red head...

And dancing the night away in some random clubs...

Jumping around the city was pretty fun too!

It was all fun for about a month and then like most mmo's they lose their appeal pretty quick.

...Sorry about your horrible day of mmo' searching but good luck to you and your search!

• Mystik86Mystik86 Member CommonPosts: 380

At one point I was close to being a proverbial "fanboi" for MXO. It was a great game in beta, I can tell you that but once it launched it went stale. The devs did things that ruined the game both with mechanics and storyline. They killed off Morpheus and that pretty much killed the game for me.

Rest in peace, MXO.

• John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531

It was a horrible game and I'm so glad it's gone.

• admriker4admriker4 Member Posts: 1,070

it felt like City of Heroes to me with all those buildings that were just painted into the background.

What kept me from playing past 2 weeks after launch was the awful combat system. In my  op Matrix had the worst combat system of any mmo around. It made Tabula Rasa look good and I despise fps. It was like some weird turn-based roll of the dice system bleh.

I went back after sony allegedly revamped combat but it seemed just as bad.

The only thing I liked about the game was the community. But I learned long ago that even the best community cant save a poorly designed game.

Originally posted by admriker4

it felt like City of Heroes to me with all those buildings that were just painted into the background.
    What kept me from playing past 2 weeks after launch was the awful combat system. In my  op Matrix had the worst combat system of any mmo around. It made Tabula Rasa look good and I despise fps. It was like some weird turn-based roll of the dice system bleh.
    I went back after sony allegedly revamped combat but it seemed just as bad.
    The only thing I liked about the game was the community. But I learned long ago that even the best community cant save a poorly designed game.

meh, part of the major problem with the combat system was the whole "hacker / caster" thing. Not only did it not fit into the lore, but it was VERY imbalanced in PVP. You had to sneak up on them if you wanted to have a chance in Hell of killing them, and then get then in "interlock" and hope you could kill them fast enough before they could run away.

IMO, guns and martial arts should have been the ONLY options for combat. Hyper-jump should have attracted agents (as it was breaking the "rules" of the Matrix) and vehicles should have been added. The interlock system should have been revamped entirely....there were so many things wrong with it...although the core concept was cool as Hell.

So much right....and yet so much wrong.

• VeridicVeridic Member Posts: 72

Thanks for the posts guys!

Not that one thread on mmorpg.com will bring due rememberance to a game that I now hear good things about after its demise- but I would like to think that any game I felt a part of wouldn't go quietly into that good night.... even if it was drugged, clubbed over the head, and taken there by SoE...

Good times in MxO- that is how I will think of this game I never played. Feel free to post more, but I bid thee a fond farewell.

• KozomKozom Member Posts: 121

Great game, I blame the people who never bothered to try it.

Same here... I remember when i first loged on i was looking for neos cape in the shops hehe:D

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

If the game was better, more people would have played it and it would still be operational today. 

• miropovomiropovo Member Posts: 55

I never played the game, and now I guess I never will. Is the closing of MXO related to the 5% layoff SOE just did the other week?

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

Its sad really.

But I think we are now seeing what the life span of a MMO would be.

I expect more MMOs to die off as newer games flood the market , dispersing the player population , and choking off what remains of the older game's playerbase

Originally posted by Czzarre

Its sad really.
    But I think we are now seeing what the life span of a MMO would be.

I expect more MMOs to die off as newer games flood the market , dispersing the player population , and choking off what remains of the older game's playerbase

nah....games like DAOC, AO, EQ, and even UO are still running. MxO was a casualty of SOE's dip-shit mis-management.

• NadrilNadril Member Posts: 1,276

http://www.giantbomb.com/the-matrix-online-not-like-this-finale/17-1130/

A look at the last hour of the Matrix Online. I actually followed Giant Bomb's mini-endurance run series on the Matix Online, and it was interesting. You had some people in the community who were up in arms about these "newbies" (and trust me, the guys doing the run were not MMO players by any means) coming into their game to watch it die, and then filming it and cracking jokes. I do think a lot of the community really helped out them though, which certainly said something. It was pretty amazing how even though they played the game for a month (and even then it was just like an hour or so every week) and at the end they had been invited into a guild and made some friends.

Really was a good final look at the game.

• HellsMajestyHellsMajesty Member UncommonPosts: 204

i think the game had the potential to be something brilliant.

i like the idea of a matrix mmo far more thani  liked MxO but the trial i played was still pretty good and i might of subbed had the game not been virtually dead anyway at this point.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by miropovo

I never played the game, and now I guess I never will. Is the closing of MXO related to the 5% layoff SOE just did the other week?

There was only one dev running the show for a long time, and he was moved elsewhere before the end. So no.

• miropovomiropovo Member Posts: 55
    Originally posted by Zorvan

There was only one dev running the show for a long time, and he was moved elsewhere before the end. So no.

Ok I remember someone posting the specifics of the lay off, but I don't rememebr in which thread or if it was you or Agricola1. I tried the trial of Vanguard and was underwhelmed. Very similar to a number of current MMOs. Haven't yet tried PotBS due to the 6 gig download. Which SOE game is next?

Which SOE game is next?

as far as I'm concerned, none of them. I wouldn't give SOE another penny.

• kastakasta Member Posts: 512

I tried out MxO but the fact that I had to shoot a punk 7 times with a shotgun to kill him and could kill him in 2 punches left me pretty cold.

Originally posted by kasta

I tried out MxO but the fact that I had to shoot a punk 7 times with a shotgun to kill him and could kill him in 2 punches left me pretty cold.

learn to shoot?

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

I played the beta and had a blast dancin in the night clubs. Also I thought the whole kung fu was pretty sweet. Other than that not really.

• daydreamerxxdaydreamerxx Member UncommonPosts: 178

I played bought it day of release played to 30 then quit. a year later came back lvld to 35 then quit, then came back a few months for before close and finally leveld to max level.

The game was unique and very fun. Problem was not enough people gave it a chance. It was a great game. Most people who played it some kept with it til its final days. Me, IM a mmorpg/game freak so I bounce around alot. I wish it were a free to play game, It is easily done with the type of clothing/customizeable stuff in game. Ashame again that its gone. Those who said it is a bad game prolly didnt play past lvl 5 and never caught onto the combat system.

Me, I loved the grappling type moves , and I especially enjoyed dualist.