Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3rd beta weekend, lvl 20 and bored..

metatronicmetatronic Member Posts: 329

I dont know why but this game just got utterly boring all of a sudden. Starting to feel forced into groups now otherwise soloing is just too painful.  CB4 I got into a group healing and it was alright, the loot was not bad.. but I seriously cant stand this asian garbage no more. Which is starting to feel very much like a heavy grinder.. Combat is so slow and boring I can't stand it.. As a cleric I have 2 main offensive abilities that chain into special attacks every 15-30 seconds or so...  I mean seriously im 20 levels in and Im attacking with the exact same crap as level 5.. There is other spells and a few buffs that have been given over 20 levels I just dont see why theres all this hype around this game anymore to anyone post lvl 20. 

Im actually only posting this now because I read a few posts on here that said the game opens up at level 20.. Im not sure what they meant but the game feels just like the the first 20 levels just with some new scenery..

Comments

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

Mate, honestly, you seriously need to evaluate your life and what you do with it, i mean, the beat started yeaterday and you are already lvl 20 and bored?

It's a game, its not a job, take it in moderation, instead of running to max lvl enjoy the quests, enjoy the game.

Did you actually read quests, understood the lore behind what you were doing?

I find this completely ridiculous, this ppl dont have anything else to do in life but to spend countless hours in a row leveling only to come to forums bitch about being bored...

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

Well, in that case i'm sorry about my response, i just entered to the beta and i thought the toons were deleted after each one. He doesnt specify he was using the same toon.

But either way, frm what i understand this beta is not using the release version of the game, and 1.5 will bring alot of new aditions

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

First of all, you chose to play a Cleric. If you read the Cleric's description, it is the main healer class.

This is a game that starts at level 20, not at max level. If you pick a healing class, expect to be healing and not DPSing or Tanking, that's just how it is.

I know it's difficult, but use your brain. You won't be healing the mobs to death, so more than likely that is why you feel forced into grouping.

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

What the OP describes is pretty much exactly how I felt when I played AION on the Chinese retail servers.  And that was with an Assasin and a Gladiator.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

The dramatic change is supposed to be stepping into the Abyss. Wasn't that after level 25? If I remember correctly and it was, I'd see if I can keep going for a bit more, to at least see what that's like. You'd get a taster of the PVPVE which is a big deal in Aion and the stuff of endgame.

• jamosjamos Member Posts: 17

Lvl 20 ??? Did you stop playing it at any point since the server went live last night  ? No wonder your bored, Id be bored of anything after such a grind.....even boobies.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332

You chose to play a Cleric. It is a  healer... a support class.

And your two main gripes are that you only have two offensive skills and that you feel like you are forced to group.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • veritas_Xveritas_X Member Posts: 393
    Originally posted by Jimmydean

This is a game that starts at level 20, not at max level. If you pick a healing class, expect to be healing and not DPSing or Tanking, that's just how it is.

This is my problem with Aion, and with mmo's in general to be honest.  Why does it 'start at level 20?'  This implies that levels 1 - 19 are not fun, only existing as some kind of gating procedure that must be slogged through in order to get to the real game.

Why not make the game start at level 1, and god forbid, make the fun start there as well?  I know the answer, its called dangling the subscription carrot, and its tiresome.

I'm in the same boat as the OP, only I'm not a cleric.  This game is more of the same, and it will hold my attention for the free month, if that.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by veritas_X

This is my problem with Aion, and with mmo's in general to be honest.  Why does it 'start at level 20?'  This implies that levels 1 - 19 are not fun, only existing as some kind of gating procedure that must be slogged through in order to get to the real game.

Why not make the game start at level 1, and god forbid, make the fun start there as well?  I know the answer, its called dangling the subscription carrot, and its tiresome.

I'm in the same boat as the OP, only I'm not a cleric.  This game is more of the same, and it will hold my attention for the free month, if that.

Its called paying your dues, and almost everything in life requires you to do it, not just games.

You could also look at it as the time you spend learning how to play your character effectively.

20 levels isn't much of a price to pay if the game really picks up from there, and you are supposed to actually enjoy learning to play your character, learning the lore, and questing a bit.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• krityckrityc Member UncommonPosts: 175
    Originally posted by tryklon

Well, in that case i'm sorry about my response, i just entered to the beta and i thought the toons were deleted after each one. He doesnt specify he was using the same toon.
    But either way, frm what i understand this beta is not using the release version of the game, and 1.5 will bring alot of new aditions

No. You can read the patch notes online for the Korean versions. New patch doesn't = "it's very fun now."

I'm 100% with the OP here. I really really want to like the game and be entertained, but I'm feeling the same thing here. It's hard to explain, but in many other games I felt the progression. In Aion my toon still looks close to the same 20 levels later. The game has great character creation, but that is were it stops. Your face, height, hair, and features might be different . . . but once you're all armored up it looksl ike attack of the clone wars. This first 20 levels you will kill maybe 5 different types of mobs, so this doesn't give a lot of variety. I'll be the first to say that the skills you get in the later levels have some AMAZING animations and effects, but what initially seems like a cool combo system with the skills turns out to be a forced measure to ensure you're characters isn't over-powered by using the moves to often.

I really like the game, but there is something in the back of my mind telling me no. Maybe it's because I played Lineage II and I was really fired up about that game. Turns out it was a good looking game with limited class options and a major grind.

[(T+G=W)=Gr*Nf]-S=FoF
    T=Time G=Gear W=Win Gr=Grind Nf=NoFun S=Skill FoF=FullofFail

"Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's azz by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather to take his word for it?" - Tommy Boy

• markoraosmarkoraos Member Posts: 1,593
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Its called paying your dues, and almost everything in life requires you to do it, not just games.

You could also look at it as the time you spend learning how to play your character effectively.

20 levels isn't much of a price to pay if the game really picks up from there, and you are supposed to actually enjoy learning to play your character, learning the lore, and questing a bit.

Sorry mate but I don't buy that "pay your dues" argument in something that is an entertainment product. It is ridiculous to even draw thaw one up.

I "paid my price" with the box and subscription. No one in his right mind would defend a movie which is dead boring for the first 1/2 hr with a "pay the dues" argument - "you know it has to be bad for the first 1/2 hour so you can get the sense of accomplishment from not leaving the theatre in disgust". That's a complete non-argument you got there buddy.

And you'll learn your character's abilities and capabilities much better and faster in a varied and challenging environment. I don't need to kill 2000 mobs to learn what my 3 skills do. And besides if the endgame is PvP-based then what is the point in "learning" via PvE? If I want to compete in football I'm not going to "start learning" with baseball. That's completely ridiculous and in fact I'd probably learn all the wrong moves that I'd have to unlearn later. It's like when you start training karate and switch over to judo - you have to actively unlearn the old reflexes which makes learning the new skill harder rather than easier.

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by markoraos

Sorry mate but I don't buy that "pay your dues" argument in something that is an entertainment product. It is ridiculous to even draw thaw one up.

I "paid my price" with the box and subscription. No one in his right mind would defend a movie which is dead boring for the first 1/2 hr with a "pay the dues" argument - "you know it has to be bad for the first 1/2 hour so you can get the sense of accomplishment from not leaving the theatre in disgust". That's a complete non-argument you got there buddy.

And you'll learn your character's abilities and capabilities much better and faster in a varied and challenging environment. I don't need to kill 2000 mobs to learn what my 3 skills do. And besides if the endgame is PvP what is the point in learning to PvE? If I want to compete in football I'm not going to "start learning" with baseball. That's completely ridiculous and in fact I'd probably learn all the wrong moves that I'd have to unlearn later. It's like when you start training karate and switch over to judo - you have to actively unlearn the old reflexes which makes learning the new skill harder rather than easier.

Then I guess you know what you have to do right?

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
    Originally posted by Locklain

Sorry mate but I don't buy that "pay your dues" argument in something that is an entertainment product. It is ridiculous to even draw thaw one up.

And you'll learn your character's abilities and capabilities much better and faster in a varied and challenging environment. I don't need to kill 2000 mobs to learn what my 3 skills do. And besides if the endgame is PvP what is the point in learning to PvE? If I want to compete in football I'm not going to "start learning" with baseball. That's completely ridiculous and in fact I'd probably learn all the wrong moves that I'd have to unlearn later. It's like when you start training karate and switch over to judo - you have to actively unlearn the old reflexes which makes learning the new skill harder rather than easier.

Then I guess you know what you have to do right?

Yeah. Sell my preorder and put Aion on the "promising but unsatisfactory" list till they get PvP leveling in. As easy as that. It's a pity tho since the game otherwise looks very interesting.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

And you'll learn your character's abilities and capabilities much better and faster in a varied and challenging environment. I don't need to kill 2000 mobs to learn what my 3 skills do. And besides if the endgame is PvP-based then what is the point in "learning" via PvE? If I want to compete in football I'm not going to "start learning" with baseball. That's completely ridiculous and in fact I'd probably learn all the wrong moves that I'd have to unlearn later. It's like when you start training karate and switch over to judo - you have to actively unlearn the old reflexes which makes learning the new skill harder rather than easier.

You can't compare MMO's with passive entertainment mediums such as movies.  Of course there's no learning curve (though if one wants to truly enjoy opera you need to pay your dues and learn Italian.)

MMO's are more like competitive games like team sports or even bowling, where its necessary to learn the rules of the game, practice playing it for a bit, and sometimes, waiting your turn for the right moment to "win it all".

Even if you want to play poker, you have to learn what your doing and pay your dues. Even if you are great at Texas hold em you won't be on ESPN2 any time soon until you pay your dues and work your way up in the rankings and are deemed worthy to play in the big leagues.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

I have already paid my dues - by paying my money. I'm paying NOW, I expect to be entertained NOW.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• BaselineBaseline Member Posts: 503

I am also level 20, and bored.

They really did this whole promo weekend thing wrong.

They should've given everyone pre-made 20's or 25's and let everyone see what the game has to offer.

As it stands now, I've been standing around LFG @ level 20 for about an hour. This sucked about the last two weekends too.

Give everyone level 25 toons so there are people to PLAY WITH / PVP with. It's a damn preview weekend, not live... Stop making people invest time in grinding. I already had 5 people in a long-time guild get sick of this game already because of this crap on these past two weekends, and they aren't even playing this weekend.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332

I think had you left out that first line, most of the people would have agreed with you. That first line, though, is the rationalization of the "old school" masochistic EQ flagellates to justify the horrendous gaming experience they sufferd through "back in the day."

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874
    Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

I have already paid my dues - by paying my money. I'm paying NOW, I expect to be entertained NOW.

The fun and entertainment of MMOs is the fact that you see your character progress and eventually become a badass, you don't just start out as one cause then you might as well be playing a console game with no progression factor in it. If you don't like it then go play another game.

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

And you'll learn your character's abilities and capabilities much better and faster in a varied and challenging environment. I don't need to kill 2000 mobs to learn what my 3 skills do. And besides if the endgame is PvP-based then what is the point in "learning" via PvE? If I want to compete in football I'm not going to "start learning" with baseball. That's completely ridiculous and in fact I'd probably learn all the wrong moves that I'd have to unlearn later. It's like when you start training karate and switch over to judo - you have to actively unlearn the old reflexes which makes learning the new skill harder rather than easier.

You can't compare MMO's with passive entertainment mediums such as movies.  Of course there's no learning curve (though if one wants to truly enjoy opera you need to pay your dues and learn Italian.)

MMO's are more like competitive games like team sports or even bowling, where its necessary to learn the rules of the game, practice playing it for a bit, and sometimes, waiting your turn for the right moment to "win it all".

Even if you want to play poker, you have to learn what your doing and pay your dues. Even if you are great at Texas hold em you won't be on ESPN2 any time soon until you pay your dues and work your way up in the rankings and are deemed worthy to play in the big leagues.

So lets compare them to other games then. Interactive entertainment as you put it. Hell lets compare them to other RPGs. I have to say, Mass Effect for example was fun from lvl 1. So was The Witcher. And Vampire Bloodlines. And Kotor. And Fallout. And and and...They may have had learning curves but they made sure it was a fun process. AION doesn't apparently by your own admission (my admission is that the game is simply boring no matter your level).

And since I'm sure you're going to backtrack now and say  "Aha! None of those are MMO-RPGs" I'll simply point out that Champions Online has been fun from lvl 1. As have been lots of other MMOs but that's a bit of a list not worth typing right now.

Bottom line, the whole pay your dues arguement is bunk.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Big surprise here, all around.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

Wrong analogy.

If Aion was a poker game then it would be like I was forbidden to play poker and had to "grow into it" by playing craps. In addition, I wouldn't be able to get higher poker rating by playing poker itself but by playing... craps again.

Sorry, but it makes no sense. No sense at all. I think you're subscribing, perhaps unconsciously,  to the elitist, hyper-competetive perspecitve on PvP - which is imo exactly what is preventing PvP from being popular in mmos like PvE is. It is as if you have to somehow "earn your right" to PvP. Sorry but I don't buy this at all. Maybe it is your cup of tea but it sure isn't mine. When I play games I do it to have casual competetive fun and not to show off my e-peen either with my "uber skillz" or even worse the time spent on the game.

Making the resolution of  PvP encounters rely ENTIRELY on the amount of PvE done is exactly what Aion is doing. How is that? PvP is heavily dependent on levels and yet the only way you can get those is via PvE. If you spend a lot of time on PvP you will be smashed to bits by a guy who never PvP-ed at all... And why? Because he has 10 levels more than you. How's that for a PvP game? Ridiculous. Utterly illogical.

• 19771977 Member Posts: 58

Agree with OP. I played Aion till low 20's and it didn't do anything for me. Was boring, same old same old, nothing new. The GUI is pretty polished, other than that I wasn't impressed.

Originally posted by Baseline

I am also level 20, and bored.
    They really did this whole promo weekend thing wrong.
    They should've given everyone pre-made 20's or 25's and let everyone see what the game has to offer.
    As it stands now, I've been standing around LFG @ level 20 for about an hour. This sucked about the last two weekends too.
    Give everyone level 25 toons so there are people to PLAY WITH / PVP with. It's a damn preview weekend, not live... Stop making people invest time in grinding. I already had 5 people in a long-time guild get sick of this game already because of this crap on these past two weekends, and they aren't even playing this weekend.

I remember that 'regular' beta testers didn't get to see Warhammer's end game content. The Elder testers (who were subject to their own NDA which lasted past release) got to see it, but weren't allowed to talk about it. Now we know why.

My point is that if the beta is set up to prevent some content from being seen -  there is usually a good reason for it. It is likely garbage.

Less time in PvP means less chance to find flaws. Beta testers are guinea pigs -  being tested, rather than doing testing.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

Gotta love how you people are complaining about an MMORPG for being an MMORPG. Basically, like it or leave it, and quit complaining about it and make your own MMO.

Originally posted by Otakun

Gotta love how you people are complaining about an MMORPG for being an MMORPG. Basically, like it or leave it, and quit complaining about it and make your own MMO.

Gotta love people who are content with garbage and never want things to improve.