Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Tale of A Design - Blog on the revamping of original content.

----------
"Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

Comments

• Redline65Redline65 Member Posts: 486

I LOVE how Turbine goes back over old content to improve on it. What other MMO companies do this? Garth Agarwen is one of my favorite instances, it's a shame not many people get to experience it now since the bulk of the population has moved on to Moria. Hopefully by making it 3-man more people will want to run it. I'm certainly looking forward to it, but I hope the difficulty level isn't changed too drastically to make it 3-man.

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888
    Originally posted by Redline65

I LOVE how Turbine goes back over old content to improve on it. What other MMO companies do this? Garth Agarwen is one of my favorite instances, it's a shame not many people get to experience it now since the bulk of the population has moved on to Moria. Hopefully by making it 3-man more people will want to run it. I'm certainly looking forward to it, but I hope the difficulty level isn't changed too drastically to make it 3-man.

most companies revamp old areas esp if they don't work properly or as well as they could otherwise.  eq2 does it frequently.  Vanguard does it some.  Wow did it to some of their znoes that had sparse content.  I am pretty sure all games probably do it.

---
    Ethion

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by ethion

Originally posted by Redline65

most companies revamp old areas esp if they don't work properly or as well as they could otherwise.  eq2 does it frequently.  Vanguard does it some.  Wow did it to some of their znoes that had sparse content.  I am pretty sure all games probably do it.

I can't think of too many MMOs that have have gone back to polish zones that were already perfectly  functional.  I levelled my first toons through a lot of the areas getting revamped and thought they were a lot of fun then.  Now they are getting even better.

Launch EQ II and Vanguard were practically broken, they absolutely had to do some revamps.  EQ II also still has a lot of legacy content that frankly sucks.  For example, look at the quest rewards in Quenyos or Freeport versus other newbie zones.  Depending on where you decide to start you can get either vendor trash that no sane player that has access to a crafter or an AH would ever put on , or gear that nearly OP.  

WoW isn't a good example either. Other than changing a lot of elite mobs to non elites the only real revamp they have done of old levelling content is Dustwallow marsh.  A lot of the horrific zone transitions that have been there since launch are still in place.  How many times will you be working  a zone, only for the only remaining quests there to be red?  "Oh, I guess I'll come back in three or four levels...I wonder where the hell I should go now.." 

EQ has done much more extensive revamps than LoTRO has so far (more than any MMO I can think of off the top of my head).  But it's also a decade old.

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

There are now 13 entries in this blog.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me