Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Games to play while you wait for your favorite mmo

ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

If you aren't going to play Aion, Champeions Online or Fallen Earth the chances of you playing something new this year looks bleak. Don't worry though there are a slew of good non mmo games to play while you wait.

1. Borderlands - There is over a million types of armor and gear in this game. No other game on the planet can match that and btw it s a roleplaying shooter. This will be the game of the year hands down. The game also has a ton of replayability and 4 player coop online. The game also will be putting out DLC for the future.

Video Gameplay: www.youtube.com/watch

2. Starcraft 2 - If it release this year fans will be estatic.

3. Dragon Age: Origins - Its Bioware, its epic stories and a must buy.

4. Section 8 - Single player and multiplayer campaigns and it looks pretty darn cool!

Video Gameplay: g4tv.com/videos/40348/Section-8-Single-Player-Campaign-Preview/

5. Fallout 3 - I know it is an older game but come on, the game has probably more DLC than some mmo expanions! its epic, its fun and has a ton of content.

These are just a few of my favorite non mmos for this year. By all means share your recommendations as well! Happy gaming!

Comments

• Don't take this the wrong way, but this seems like the wrong forum for this kind of discussion. Maybe off-topic is better.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

I play "Hide the Salami" with the missus.

Then when she falls asleep, I play Bioshock. (waited due to playing other MMOs) Was only $19.99 in Gamestop.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

I just beat Trine and it is a really fun game, albeit a bit short. Reminded me of Lost Vikings a bit.

Otherwise, out of the PC games that are available now, I'd go with the following (in no particular order):

Fallout 3

Overlord 1 and 2

Mass Effect

Anno 1404

Warhammer 40K - Dawn of War II

Braid

Battlestations Pacific

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221
    Originally posted by popinjay

I play "Hide the Salami" with the missus.

Then when she falls asleep, I play Bioshock. (waited due to playing other MMOs) Was only $19.99 in Gamestop.

Bioshock is good, well worth the $20. Ive been playing Titan Quest myself. It and the Immortal Throne expansion is well worth the price.

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

Two words: Guild Wars

I'm not even sure i'll leave for a new mmorpg because I'm growing tired of the same old thing... Guild Wars has suprised me with how well put together it is so I may stick with it until part 2 comes out. Did I mention its free to play? :-)

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• slask777slask777 Member Posts: 706

I replay those old gems at the moment:

- Baldurs Gate 2 plus expansion

- Return to Castle Wolfenstein multiplayer (which is free now btw..yippie )

- FF series on emulators

- Sacrifice multiplayer (a unique rts/fps hybrid game..underrated as hell)

- Rune multiplayer (quite alot of mods out for that one plus vikings are just cool mkay)

- Planescape Torment (just plain wierd..and fun too)

- Freelancer multiplayer (quite fun spaceshooter. Way better than that spreadsheet sim they call Eve)

Well, that's my list for the moment. Aint playing any mmo's. Lurking around the mmorpg.com forums and waiting for the next mmo-fix, like alot of you guys do I gather

---
    Grammar nazi's. This one is for you.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

I agree, I've installed some old games for playing when I get sick of the MMO grind.  I ran through Halo again, currently I have Bioshock and KOTR reinstalled, plus my daughter got into playing Team Fortress 2, so we'll play together from time to time.

I really wish there were better MMOs out there but I'm not holding my breath.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• RecantRecant Member UncommonPosts: 1,586

Play Quake Live.  It's still in Beta but it's open to everyone.  It's basically Quake 3 but free, browser based, and with far, far superior match making and community support.  

If you ever played Quake online in your life, you owe it to yourself to try it.   Just remember you'll need a lot of practise to get anywhere. 

After about 30-40 hours of practise I'm almost back to my old skill level and beating the shit out of all but the most skilled players.

Still waiting for your Holy Grail MMORPG? Interesting...

• olddaddyolddaddy Member Posts: 3,356

I've been playing:

1. Sid Meier's Colonization

2. Mount & Blade

3. Company of Heroes

and I'm waiting for East India Company to be released.

• KozomKozom Member Posts: 121

I played these games in no particular order over the past month you might like them :

Saints Row 2

Dawn of war 2

Annno 1404

Empire total war

Prototype

Sims 3

Age of pirates 2

I would also add Diablo 2 which i want to play but dont wana spend money on it again since i have prob bought the game about 50 times lol 

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Quake 4

Civilizations 4

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• sanders01sanders01 Member Posts: 1,357

Sims 3 

Europa Universailis 3/Rome 

UT3

Currently restarting World of Warcraft :/

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

I'll be playing Champions Online and I'll also be playing Boredlands. Borderlands is going to be an awesome game.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Zorndorf

Originally posted by SaintViktor

I'll be playing Champions Online and I'll also be playing Boredlands. Borderlands is going to be an awesome game.

All waste of time.

At least WOW is played by my RL friends. So much better to talk about the game you play with RL friends.

Gaming without RL friends sucks.

Nonsense, have rarely gamed with RL friends, but made hundreds of online ones all across the world.

RL life friends all the time would limit your experiences.

And I'll be playing EVE while I wait for AION.

(Beta 5 weekend, whoo hooo)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

All waste of time.

At least WOW is played by my RL friends. So much better to talk about the game you play with RL friends.

I been playing online games with people I don't know since day 1 and it has been extremely fun gaming experience so far.

• zchmrkenhoffzchmrkenhoff Member Posts: 2,241

All waste of time.

I been playing online games with people I don't know since day 1 and it has been extremely fun gaming experience so far.

RL friends suck for games in my experience. You all work everything out and everything is so exciting... and then the bar graph effect happens, where everybody is at such different levels that you really aren't playing together at all and the very reason you started playing with them is askew. So they all quit and you are the only person left playing... with this character stuck in outlands on a server mutually exclusive of that where your main character is from and with no ambition to continue pooling time into it.

"Listen, you fuckers, you screwheads. Here is a man who would not take it anymore. A man who stood up against the scum, the cunts, the dogs, the filth, the shit. Here is a man who stood up." - Robert DeNiro

• NarugNarug Member UncommonPosts: 756

Besides the Bioware, Obsidian, old Black Isle (before they shut down) games, D&D CRPGs, and Titan Quest?

(damn you NWN 2 and your missing cleave animation)

Rise of the Argonauts

The Witcher

Oblivion

Otherwise I'm playing the 360 and hoping the RPG genre will revive again.  It's been much too slow. (disastrous on the PC)

We'll probably continue to get its merging into the FPS, action/adventure, and other genres though.

I wish Perpetual would've stayed up.  I was looking forward to that ancient mythology themed MMO.

AC2 Player RIP Final Death Jan 31st 2017

Refugee of Auberean

Refugee of Dereth

• CablespiderCablespider Member UncommonPosts: 272

Borderlands and Divinity 2 are on the top of my list. Nothing else matters to me. I hoping for another Witcher experience with Divinity 2 but that may be asking to much.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

If you are looking for some online competitive gaming it's been a wonderful year for Fighting Games:

1.  Blazblue

2.  Street Fighter IV

3.  King of Fighters XII

4.  Fight Night Round 4

5.  UFC 2009 Undisputed

6.  Tekken 6 (later this year)

7.  Several re-releases of older fighting games with online play on XBLA and PSN

• brezelbrezel Member Posts: 202

i play still battlefield 1942, it's just to funny. i think segas alien vs. predator will be the next greater multiplayer experience. i hope they code a solid mulitplayer mode! 

• vladwwvladww Member UncommonPosts: 417

Yeah BF 1942 is still the perfect FPS for me

& For my RPG/Strategy/4x Fix  :

- Heroes of might & magic III (WOG)

- Age of Wonders (Shadow Magic)

- Civilization IV

Playing : Uncharted Waters Online

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Been playing

-Team Fortress 2

-Mass Effect

-Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic

-GTA IV

-Civilizations IV

-Fallout 3

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.