Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most Difficult Time in MMORPGS

So what is the most difficult/annoying time you have ever had in an MMO and did you overcome it and how.

Please state what happened and in what game.

Example:Killstealers,scammers. So on.

Edit:Ganking included

Like pong i keep bouncing back and forth between games.

Comments

• JquikJquik Member Posts: 130

Years ago, coming from EQ i played L2. If you've ever played L2, you know how hard it is to get your next grade weapon, especially when the game first came out. Well in EQ you would constantly hand over your weapon or other things to get enchanted and trusted the people to give it back. Well naive little ol' me back then handed over my dark elf bow which was about 700k. I had no money left after buying it and paying for enchant. The guy took it and logged off.

I didnt know whether to just play another character or quit the game after that point.

I ended up making another character and guess who I saw trying to sell something in the DE town--yep that same scammer. So I just made a macro saying about how he was a scammer and hit it constantly. Apparantly he was trying to clear his name so to make me stop he gave me 700k. End the end though it definitely wasnt enough since I had to make another character and waste the tiem getting back to the lvl i was.

• First MMO was SWG, started playing on launch day.

Became an entertainer/artisan and was part of a tight knit community in the backwater of Nashul Talus.  Most of us that started there together stayed in touch for years.  About two weeks into game we all still met up most nights at the cantina to chat about how the game was going.  Then the creep started coming in - name was literally an XXX rated act.  We all reported/ignored this person but that didn't stop them.  So then we started shunning them when they came in, all music/dancing would stop (you couldn't stop someone from healing BF at the time) and everyone would turn their back on them.  Then a couple of the die hard pvpers (is this a word?) started following this person around and harassing them constantly on the principle that to get them to stop the creep would have to report them and end up getting banned for their name.

Never did find out why, but creep went away in about a week (probably GMs finally got around to reading all the reports).  The end result was a very tight knit group though.

One thing really different about SWG was the starter towns - in the beginning it basically gave you a choice of towns that had room and you'd work your way out of them.  I like this approach better than starting racial areas or anonymous instances. 

• John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531

I hated how SWG started because I would try to get friends into the game and there was this lame tutorial that taught you nothing. Then it would throw them into the game and there was no indication of what they could do. So before I could get them into the game they were fedup. My friend loved the profession system but he said there wasn't anything to do. I agree the game just had hardly any Star Wars content.

What they needed was a new tutorial showing you how things work and content.

• seventy7lseventy7l Member Posts: 112
    Originally posted by Jquik

Years ago, coming from EQ i played L2. If you've ever played L2, you know how hard it is to get your next grade weapon, especially when the game first came out. Well in EQ you would constantly hand over your weapon or other things to get enchanted and trusted the people to give it back. Well naive little ol' me back then handed over my dark elf bow which was about 700k. I had no money left after buying it and paying for enchant. The guy took it and logged off.
    I didnt know whether to just play another character or quit the game after that point.
    I ended up making another character and guess who I saw trying to sell something in the DE town--yep that same scammer. So I just made a macro saying about how he was a scammer and hit it constantly. Apparantly he was trying to clear his name so to make me stop he gave me 700k. End the end though it definitely wasnt enough since I had to make another character and waste the tiem getting back to the lvl i was.

Hmm lineage 2 the first mmo experience i ever had.The game where i couldn't stay because my parents are strict with me spending money.Never had an experience like that because never had the chance to play very long.Thanks for sharing.

Like pong i keep bouncing back and forth between games.

• zlingzling Member Posts: 21

the last 7 hours of grind in a pvp mmo before switching from pve build to pvp build. it was torturous

• thekzethekze Member UncommonPosts: 180

When I fell through the floor in WoW at release and had to reroll a character because GMs couldn't do anything.

• RecantRecant Member UncommonPosts: 1,586

When I was a complete noob to MMOs with Everquest,  I once quit and gave away all my stuff.  I  think I was only level 22 or so.  Coming back was really hard, because I literally had nothing.  I had to kill mobs far below my level to get some scraps together.  But with perserverence I managed to get back.   Ahhh, those days were golden.

And in WoW more recently, leading my guild to attain the Twilight Vanquisher title, despite the fact we were a new guild and many of us had never raided much before.  We can't compare to the best guilds, getting that title was damn difficult.  We wiped over and over and over and over again.  But the sheer pleasure of getting that title at the end,  I was left literally shaking.   There's something wrong about getting so much pleasure from a computer game lol.

Still waiting for your Holy Grail MMORPG? Interesting...

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332

My two most difficult times in an MMO were both in Lineage 2. At release, the game was a bear to level in and decent gear was well out of the reach of the average gamer. The problem was exacerbated by a horrific amount of adena (L2 cash) buying to compensate for that. With so many people anxious to buy adena, the game became over-run with adena farmers/bots that actively forced legitimate players out of major leveling and questing areas. The game was fun, the raids were fdamn awesome, the client ran smoothly at top graphics even in a 30-40 man raid. and the graphics were gorgeous. But playing became unbearable and even with all the great aspects of the game we just could not continue no matter how hard we tried. . My Wife and I quit playing somewhere in the 20-30 level range.

I ended up returning to L2 a year or so later and I encountered my second worst issue... the fault being entirely my own. I had just hit level 40 or so and sold my old armor and weapon (D grade) to get the next tier (C grade). Well, through a few nights of playing drunk, I mananged to die enough times to delevel to 39. This meant I could not use my new armor (well *could* but it was near impossible to even move or survive a single encounter) and I had no previous level gear or cash. Poor planning on my part. Took about a week or so to get that one midrange level back.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • tupodawg999tupodawg999 Member UncommonPosts: 724

Everquest...falling down a hole in an empty Befallen...into a deeper area...behind a locked door...full of red mobs.

• CredinusCredinus Member Posts: 32

WoW:

Going to Grom'gol (or whatever the Horde camp in Stranglethorn Vale is called) on the Gurubashi PvP server... Every single time I went there, one of the following happened:

1) Alliance raided the camp and were ganking everyone as soon as they got off the zeppelin

2) Tons of high level alliance sat outside the camp just waiting

3) The most annoying one - A handful of high level Alliance rogues would sit outside the camp and then keep you permanently stun locked until you managed to get a high level Horde player on chat to take care of them. Then again, rogues pretty much ruin the game on any PvP server from cheap things like that, stealth sapping in neutral towns, or sitting outside of the arena area in Orgrimmar so that they could one-shot people as soon as they finished an arena and were still flagged for PvP.

Then again, world PvP on WoW is just an e-peen flexfest where the number of lowbie one-shots you can perform in an hour is a measure of how "badass" you are.