Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a new mmo, but with a few restrictions

SketchwulfSketchwulf Member Posts: 5

Hey everyone, I just registered, and I figured if I'm looking for a new game to play, I'd ask for suggestions here. First of all though, there's a few things I'd like to list that I'm *not* looking for.

The biggest thing I'm trying to avoid is any game with a WoW style battle engine(such as LotRO, Warhammer, and of course WoW). I might as get that out of the way first, because I truly hate the battle systems in those games. There's just no feeling of power in the way the characters hit each other..no "impact". It's tough to describe this if you don't know what I'm talking about, but you just don't get any sense of doing damage to your opponent. No matter how cool your weapon looks, when you hit something it's like you're swinging a wet towel, you just continue through the animation with no delay as if you aren't hitting anything. The best example of a style of battle system I'm looking for is something like Final Fantasy XI, which had some cool animations and effects for weapons and abilities, but I played the crap out of that a couple of years ago so I don't want to go back to it.

Secondly, I'd like to steer away from any games where the classes are completely out of balance, like Warhammer. While I admit I had fun with that one for a little while, the more you play, the more you realize how big the discrepancy is between classes.

Finally, I don't like the micro-transaction idea for mmo's, I'd just prefer a straight monthly fee, where everyone is on even ground.

I realize I'm probably being a bit picky, lol. Still, I was hoping some people here could give me a few suggestions. Thanks! ^^

Comments

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

You might try Vanguard

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

Personally I'd recommend eve. If you need a 21 day free trial let me know and I can hook you up.

EvE is a great game were there are littlerally hundreds of different ways to play the game, and not all of them involve combat. If your 18+, can follow basic directions, and you have a sense of humor I dont mind accepting you into ou corp to get you started, or even just giving you basic help

• Hammertime1Hammertime1 Member Posts: 619

Try AoC.

• SketchwulfSketchwulf Member Posts: 5

I always thought Eve looked really good, if a little intimidating. I'm going to read up on it a little more, and I might give it a shot soon.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Eve is ok but it takes a long time to train up skills and if you join a corp your gonna end up mining or subservent roll providing income for it.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

Eve is ok but it takes a long time to train up skills and if you join a corp your gonna end up mining or subservent roll providing income for it.

while mining is a good way to get started as the entrance skills are low... it is not what you have to start doing. For instance members that are new in my corp, can pve via missions, rat on mobs in system, they can haul or mine for mining ops, or assist in frigs for pvp.

While some of those are what you stated, they arent in the same light that you put it.

• green13green13 Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

Ryzom.

It's definitely not an EQ-style game like WOW or LOTRO.

Combat and spell effects have a somewhat anime flavour to them - they're very flashy. Watch some of the videos on youtube and see if you like them (if you can't find them googling, ask in the Ryzom forum here).

Class balance is irrelevant because there are no classes. It's fully skill-based and players can theoretically eventually max everything. But players can adopt specific roles in teams by virtue of the gear they equip - some give better bonuses to particular types of spells and wearing heavy armour will reduce the range and power of any spells you cast.

It really is an excellent game - particularly if you're looking for something a little different. Best harvesting and crafting system I've seen in any mmo, beautiful artwork, seasons, and realistic mob AI, eg. predator animals will 'randomly' attack herbivores.

They have a free trial.

• markoraosmarkoraos Member Posts: 1,593

Aion.

Tho I might not play it because there is no PvP leveling to speak of and I can't stand mob grinds (WAR completely spoiled me there), Aion's  combat does feel very "meaty". I played the last beta weekend and I must say that I was most impressed with the way mobs and your toon react to hits - it really feels right in that respect, almost like a console beat-em-up, which is a great achievement considering its combat model is pretty much standard fare - targeting, global cooldowns etc. Look it up - it's pretty popular in far east (3.5 mil subs already) and western release is coming in september, shipping with patch 1.5 so it's pretty polished by all accounts. 

I've been following Aion for a while and will probably try it when it launches over here, it looks quite good.

And I had never heard of Ryzom before today, but after looking up some info and videos, I think it looks awesome. Seems like it has a small, but dedicated userbase, which is nice cause it probably means there's less assholes and 13 year old punks wandering around in it. I think I'm gonna give it a shot over the weekend.

• FraggleFraggle Member UncommonPosts: 117

AoC is worth a look if you want decent combat animation.  Some of the fatalities are pretty awesome too!

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

You might like Vanguard.  Give the free trial awhirl.

• DrmarvinDrmarvin Member Posts: 34

For the type of visceral combat it sounds like you are after I would say AoC or DDO.  Those 2 in particular aren't the typical 'sit there and swing for minutes' type, they are much faster and more engaging.

Well, I downloaded Ryzom and started it earlier, and so far I love it! I especially like the class system, or rather, lack thereof. It's nice to have complete freedom with how you want to develop your character, plus the graphic style is really nice, too.

I still might try AoC as well, if for no other reason than the combat system; you guys have made it seem to be something I'd really enjoy, so I'd like to try it firsthand. And I'll still probably buy Aion when it comes out..so many choices, lol. Thanks for all the advice and suggestions, everyone! It's much appreciated!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I think the Op should have a look on AoC. The blows there do feel a lot more real and your weapon actually have to touch something for you to score a hit. Most other MMOs uses the same old thing we seen since Eq and Meridian. Try the free AoC trial.

Eve and DF also uses different system, Eve is worth a look if you like spaceships. Df should you probably wait to have a look on until they have a free trial, most people either loves or hate it.