Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The MmoRpg Workshop

Post what you want out of your perfect MmoRpg here!

New fresh thinking is foods for our souls.

Comments

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Tip for you:

If you think you are going to be able to design the 'perfect MMO' based on what people on this forum say... you are sadly mistaken.

Many people don't even know what they want themselves.

Add to that that an MMO is not a series of isolated elements - it's a blend (and a very complex one at that) of elements working together and all that working in conjunction with human psychology (including the pack mentality and hysteria).

I suggest you go look at the forums of some of last year's MMOs (PotBS, WAR and AoC to name three) to see how even games with good 'elements' failed.

If you can't figure out why by yourself (you may be wrong - but at least you will understand your own logic!) then you are unlikely to be able to figure it out here.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• NadrilNadril Member Posts: 1,276

Originally posted by Gyrus
    Tip for you:
    If you think you are going to be able to design the 'perfect MMO' based on what people on this forum say... you are sadly mistaken.
    Many people don't even know what they want themselves.
    Add to that that an MMO is not a series of isolated elements - it's a blend (and a very complex one at that) of elements working together and all that working in conjunction with human psychology (including the pack mentality and hysteria).
    I suggest you go look at the forums of some of last year's MMOs (PotBS, WAR and AoC to name three) to see how even games with good 'elements' failed.
    If you can't figure out why by yourself (you may be wrong - but at least you will understand your own logic!) then you are unlikely to be able to figure it out here.

Agreed. I don't think some people really know what they want, instead they just spout off a large laundry list of "features" that they think are cool, but have no idea how they would actually work in a real game.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

Not only that, but a lot of the features people claim to want are completely unrealistic.  It'll guarantee that hardly anyone ever plays the game because the requirements to enjoy and use the features are terribly narrow.  There are a lot of people who don't understand that MMOs are a business, they exist to make money and developers are not going to shoot themselves in the financial foot to put in ridiculously limited features that appeal to a minuscule minority and drive away most of their money.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• Dani-ADDani-AD Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by Cephus404

Not only that, but a lot of the features people claim to want are completely unrealistic.  It'll guarantee that hardly anyone ever plays the game because the requirements to enjoy and use the features are terribly narrow.  There are a lot of people who don't understand that MMOs are a business, they exist to make money and developers are not going to shoot themselves in the financial foot to put in ridiculously limited features that appeal to a minuscule minority and drive away most of their money.

I think you grosely underestimate people in general. Espesially me ;)

Features are features, games are games, businesses are businesses.  Talking about what we want in our games we play is just that, talk. Im not in some kind of illusion of having any of my own game designs ever being published but you can dream right?

You are being silly if you think reality is the only way to go. Make way for dreamers.

• bonobotheorybonobotheory Member UncommonPosts: 1,007

Midgets with guns. Playable mongoose people. Evil trees. Dragons made of raisin bread.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by Cephus404

Yeah, as long as greed rules the industry some suggested features will (unfortunately) be unrealistic.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • Dani-ADDani-AD Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by bonobotheory

Midgets with guns. Playable mongoose people. Evil trees. Dragons made of raisin bread.

*giggles* ^w^