Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aion: Collector's Edition Tops Steam Sales

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

The Steam sales charts for the week of July 19th to July 25th are in. And who would have thought it? Pre-sales for the collector's edition of Aion are numero uno:

Steam's Top Ten (by Revenue) (7/19 - 7/25)

1. Aion Collector's Edition (Pre-order) / NCsoft

2. Left 4 Dead / Valve

3. The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition / LucasArts

4. Counter-Strike: Source / Valve

5. ARMA 2 / Bohemia Interactive

6. Tales of Monkey Island Complete Pack / Telltale

7. Dawn of Discovery (ANNO 1404) / Related Designs

8. Street Fighter IV / Capcom

9. Team Fortress 2 / Valve

10. Killing Floor / Tripwire

Did you pre-purchase your collector's edition copy on Steam? Let us know in the comments.

Personally, I find these figures curious. I can understand purchasing the regular copy digitally -- but the collector's edition? Don't we pay extra for all the tangible goodies? 

Via Shacknews.

Comments

• DreamionDreamion Member UncommonPosts: 287

I bought the CE edition, now it's just 2 months to go ^^

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

i would imagine many of those sales would have been people wanting to get into beta.  Still good luck to them, hope the money is spent making an awesome game even better

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

With CE's a lot don't want the box items mereley the in game ones.

TBH as a proper boxed collectors edition customer who has put down 50+ quid for it on the basis that there was only 50k of them done and I wanted one i feel kind of stiffed by this.

I paid the extra to be even more unique than the awesome char creation allows yet now feel let down that long after the CE sold out any tom dick and harry can still get those item's.

Am i chuffed i will get my figurine and soundtrack posters etc for the extra 8 quid hell yeah but it does still leave a little bit of a bad taste in the mouth knowing it was a special limited edition and stumping up way back in February just to see as many users who possibly want it being able to get those same items.

• XavierxxXavierxx Member Posts: 251

I cant even launch this game though steam. I hope they fix this cause all my friends use steam and i want them to know what im playing. In steam you can install steam based and non steam based games through shortcuts from explorer. This somehow conflicts with gamegaurd which is the security system Aion is using so far. I really hope they get rid of gamegaurd. I cant think of any other P2P mmo in the western hemisphere that uses gamegaurd. Its annoying.

• green13green13 Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

I picked up a CE a few weeks ago from my local EB.

I'm so glad I did. The last closed-beta weekend was the most fun I've had in an mmo for quite a while.

This wasn't the mmo I'd planned to play in September, but I'm glad I ended up trying it.

• MrSebMrSeb Member Posts: 71

I bought the CE from steam aswell .. But with mixed feelings .. I allways injoyed having a box for my games which gives more the feeling of "owning" the game instead of the virtual virsion only .. but f* it, I love the game from what i've seen in closed beta .. So I don't regret it :) ..

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Originally posted by MrSeb

I bought the CE from steam aswell .. But with mixed feelings .. I allways injoyed having a box for my games which gives more the feeling of "owning" the game instead of the virtual virsion only .. but f* it, I love the game from what i've seen in closed beta .. So I don't regret it :) ..

I agree with you there. Not often do I really care about SE editions for games. But when it is a upcoming MMO I am really hyped about, then I wouldn't mind having the awsome extras. Oh well though, I def have mixed feelings about having the digital CE, but at the end of the day, I am still happy to play  the game when it releases.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

I consider buying the CE version as well. The 10€ difference from the normal version means that very few people will touch that.

What kept my hand so far is that it's a pre-order, so not the actual game and that I don't overly care about the beta events (I've already learned what I needed to from the ones I participated).

• haratuharatu Member UncommonPosts: 409

Gotta love it how Monkey Island (a game over 15 years old) is number 3... sure it is the enhanced version, but it is always surprising how developers still have not learnt that new is not always better.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

well the digital ce was also only 10$ more then the standard version on steam, you dont get a tin box or figure but you didnt really pay for those either, you do get the black special wings to fly longer and some other nifty starting items that give stats when ur naked and cold =D see you guys friday, and to all you elyos goody goods, prepare to die!

That's what I was saying, I think.

• shadow2250shadow2250 Member UncommonPosts: 20

I got the CE off steam too although i'm very disappointed, i ordered the game to be able to play the beta immediately (in steam it said start playing now) little did i know there were only 2 beta events remaining and they are 2 weeks apart.

I really hope this game lives up to the hype.

What hype? I don't believe that people are expecting it to be anything beyond what it is, aka a stable polished high fantasy game.

• OnitoraOnitora Member Posts: 37
    Originally posted by denshing

Originally posted by MrSeb

I agree with you there. Not often do I really care about SE editions for games. But when it is a upcoming MMO I am really hyped about, then I wouldn't mind having the awsome extras. Oh well though, I def have mixed feelings about having the digital CE, but at the end of the day, I am still happy to play  the game when it releases.

Now, I find myself on the opposite side of this discussion.  I don't much care for having another action figure to collect dust on a shelf somewhere, and I don't know what to do with all the boxes and discs for all of the games I have as it is, other than store them in a closet.  The fact that Steam will keep track of my games, (should anything unforseen happen to a physical copy comparatively,) is great.  I've had to reformat, or been struggling w/ a scratched disc, etc before, and the convenience of just DLing; installing, and playing; all through a single  interface - suits me perfectly.  I have for some time now, tried to only purchase games through Steam because of the convenience it offers.

• Sallas89Sallas89 Member Posts: 22

I bought the CE,  a big part was to get into the beta and the in game items. But also because Sweden (where I live) is such a rotten country when it comes to game sales and prices buy off steam can get you everywhere from 20%-200% of the price it would have been in a store in sweden so I'd rather have that money to buy another game then to get the box.

• green13green13 Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by Xasapis

What hype? I don't believe that people are expecting it to be anything beyond what it is, aka a stable polished high fantasy game.

Exactly.

It doesn't claim to be anything other than a continuation of the EQ-style mmos, though with some nice little evolutionary touches.

I got myself into the last closed beta weekend and it was non-stop fun. The game was exactly what it claims to be - which in itself is a pleasure not often encountered when dealing with mmos.

• MyskMysk Member Posts: 982
    Originally posted by Death1942

i would imagine many of those sales would have been people wanting to get into beta.  Still good luck to them, hope the money is spent making an awesome game even better

My thoughts exactly.  The sales page for it is (was? I haven't checked in awhile) very misleading.

That said, it's a good game so I don't regret getting it.  I do wish that I had pre-ordered the boxed version when it was available.  I'd have loved to have had that figurine.  Guess I'll have to see how over priced they become on ebay lol

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

I dont buy Collector Edition normally, but normally they dont sell for 10$ of difference vs the regular version, it's often 20-30$ of difference.

• nimrodblack6nimrodblack6 Member Posts: 2

I just recently canceled my pre-order after playing a beta.  I am not fond of GameGuard's issues and method.  But what i did see of the game was great.  Enjoy everyone!