Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW relaunches in China today - with extra bags

coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007

WoW servers are open for business (although new accounts cannot be made).

The chinese government has made blizzard replace all image of skulls and severed heads with bags, chests and other icons.

http://www.wow.com/2009/07/30/wow-china-hit-with-more-censorship-upon-relaunch/

I really struggle to see how Blizzard will get wotlk into china, the title screen for wotlk features a skelotol dragon.

I am thinking of invading china, on my own.. all I need is chicken bone. Who's with me?

Comments

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

I still think blizzard should have just said fuck you to China and left.

• KozomKozom Member Posts: 121

Corporation 0 / Communist Dictatorship 1 

How come when they ran the college kid over with a tank in Tiananmen Square, noone rushed out to put the body in a chest to hide the skeleton?

I smell discrimination.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

WoW in china provides Blizz with the huge numbers that it needs. And when Blizz goes with RMT with their next mmo than china will be 1 of their biggest income...

Think that's why for now Blizz is doing whatever they ask...

For the dragon screen, just replace it with a hush puppy...

RIP Orc Choppa

• badclownbadclown Member Posts: 37

that was a good one Zorvan hrhr

this land is a dictatorship after all.. but there are millions of potential customers, blizz

will make some serious money there and thats all what counts nowadays, cold hard cash baby!

• klinikaklinika Member Posts: 17

Originally posted by Kozom
    Corporation 0 / Capitalist Dictatorship 1 

Fixed.

Originally posted by klinika

Fixed.

China is still run by the Communist Party. The only thing capitalist is the government's pockets.

• klinikaklinika Member Posts: 17

Originally posted by Zorvan

Fixed.

China is still run by the Communist Party. The only thing capitalist is the government's pockets.

True, but, say, if United States had only one party which'd decide to change just its name to Communist Party just for the heck of it, would you say United States was a communist democracy afterwards? Severely off-topic, true, but Communist Party led countries have nothing to do with communism, they're state-capitalist countries, where instead of private corporations the state owns the capital and means of production, and state-capitalism is capitalism no matter what you call your political party. Right, you'll hear no more of this from me, carry on ;)
  • Shin-RaShin-Ra Member Posts: 82

lol  I find it funny, they must be having a laugh to see if blizzard would actually do it. 

Does this mean things like the Skull of Gul'dan is now the Chest of Gul'dan?

Also with shadow wands do they fire shadowy bolts of chests now? 

lol

• MyPreciousssMyPreciousss Member Posts: 427
    Originally posted by Zorndorf

At least someone has to point out the most obvious of things.
    Have a nice piece of this pie.
    http://www.xfire.com/genre/mmo/massively_multiplayer_online/
    Delicious.

End of the month, you received your paycheck already?

And thanks for proving my point, thread about Blizz censoring its own game, and you paste sub number.

quod erat demonstrandum :=)

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368
    Originally posted by Zorvan

Fixed.

Yeah, and North Korea is actually Democratic People's Republic of Korea. That does not make it a democracy or even a republic.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by MyPreciousss

It reminds me of a recent thread by Zorndorf, WoW's most faithful browntongued fanboi, titled "this is how companies should run business".
    Seeing how Blizz stole Warhammer lore, broke every promises they made (with PVE-PVP transfers or faction changes e.g.), stole features from more daring mmorpgs, crawled to obey every whine on their forums, I'm not surprised they are doing as they are told by censorship, to get more bucks and paste triumphantly their sub number as a true winner.

Way to go Blizzard, you're a model of integrity and courage.

That is silly. They are selling an ENTERTAINMENT product, not an institution for political change.

if I am a Chinese player, I would APPLAUD Blizzard because otherwise, I would NOT be able to play WOW.

And why do WE care? we get the good version with skeleton and what-not. If the Chinese players have to deal with a different version, it does NOT affect us.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

they could have atleast changed the images with something that is more suitable than a bag

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• illanadanillanadan Member Posts: 314
    Originally posted by coffee

Originally posted by MyPreciousss

Originally posted by Zorndorf

At least someone has to point out the most obvious of things.
    Have a nice piece of this pie.
    http://www.xfire.com/genre/mmo/massively_multiplayer_online/
    Delicious.

End of the month, you received your paycheck already?

And thanks for proving my point, thread about Blizz censoring its own game, and you paste sub number.

quod erat demonstrandum :=)

oh noes the Troll woke up... run

Coffee wins this round!

- Case: Thermaltake Kandalf Black Chassis
    - CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz (OC'd 4.2GHz on Water Cooling)
    - Memory: Mushkin 8Gb (4x 2Gb) DDR3 1600Mhz
    - HDD: Dual Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM
    - GFX: (2) XFX Radeon HD 5870 in CrossFire - New upgrade! :)

"I like wow, I like aion and I like AoC all for different reasons.....the later cause i get to see boobs, but still its a reason!!" - Sawlstone

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823

Looks like the WoW trolls are upset.

WoW losing China was their ace in the hole. Their one chance for WoW to be dethroned.

Now that WoW is back online that chance has slipped through their fingers.

So, yeah, expect the WoW trolls to be particulary trolly the next couple days. MMORPG.com should alert the moderators.

• RecantRecant Member UncommonPosts: 1,586

I really don't understand the fear of skeletons in China.

Still waiting for your Holy Grail MMORPG? Interesting...

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

Personally If I played WoW and the US decided to do what China did I would not play the game.  I think its just down right retarded. Thank the lord I was not born Chinese I know Id be in jail right now for me going against the government. LOL

Edit:  Heh if I were Chinese Id just play Aion anyways.   So far I like it better than WoW and I can't even stay logged on for 10 minutes without getting kicked off.  But this just may be the new factor talking.