Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why WoW expansion will be the most selling mmorpg of 2010.

There are a couple reasons I can give but they would be speculation like worgen being a playable race but I think the number one reason why this expansion will sell more copies than WOTLK and TBC and sell most copies of the mmorpg genre in 2010 is basically the who. Who could we fight that is more powerful than the lich king himself. Most people think the lich king dying is the end of WOW and no one can possibly be stronger  than he is and still killable.

I think curiosity will be the biggest seller in WoWs next expansion. I think the main reason WoW is still going strong and WOTLK did so well because of the Lich king and almost every one that plays WoW wants a piece of him.

Comments

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by Ozarumon

There are a couple reasons I can give but they would be speculation like worgen being a playable race but I think the number one reason why this expansion will sell more copies than WOTLK and TBC and sell most copies of the mmorpg genre in 2010 is basically the who. Who could we fight that is more powerful than the lich king himself. Most people think the lich king dying is the end of WOW and no one can possibly be stronger  than he is and still killable.

I think curiosity will be the biggest seller in WoWs next expansion. I think the main reason WoW is still going strong and WOTLK did so well because of the Lich king and almost every one that plays WoW wants a piece of him.

The biggest selling factor in the next expansion will be the same exact factor as in the previous 2 WoW expansions: you need to have the expansion to continue playing the game.

I mean, the way WoW is set up, you can't not own the expansion and remain competitive, so those playing WoW will obviously buy it to continue playing. Most people aren't going to care who the next bad guy is. What they will care about is gaining levels and getting epics. Why? Because the whole game is set up as a greed driven carrot-on-a-stick not as a lore-centric game.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

I take it you play WoW? To assume a name brand of an mmo is going to out sell others next year is stretching. I'm sure it will sell fine, dont get me wrong but WoW had it's day and is still stagnant. By stagnant I mean that it's 5 years old and the pvp and gear based mechanics havn't changed and that's  probably starting to wear on a lot of folks.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

The Lich King is a loser. He gets spanked by Paladins (one the most badass ones, Highlord Tirion Fordring) on a regular basis - even on his turf. No one wants to fight him.

The WoW Expansion will sell a ton because:

1) Plenty of carrots on sticks, just like WotLK.

2) Probably a new Hero class.

3) Tons of people play WoW, and will want to continue their experience, their character's progression - Blizzard will make it so that the only way they can do that is, of course, by buying the expansion.

There's a lot of curiosity at the moment because some things may have "accidentally" leaked, but it's still all speculation at this point.

• OzarumonOzarumon Member Posts: 107

To be fair the Lich King was fighting Tyrion on holy ground and The Lich king one shot a bunch of Death knights.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462
    Originally posted by Ozarumon

To be fair the Lich King was fighting Tyrion on holy ground and The Lich king one shot a bunch of Death knights.

And then again, in Icecrown. Fordring destroyed Arthas' heart, and the Lich King was such a loser that he had Fordring in a death grip, but couldn't finish him off, allowing some Ebon Blade Knights to rush in and one shot hundreds of cultists.

Paladins are OP. Blizzard said so. Yes, even the NPC ones.

• OrthedosOrthedos Member Posts: 1,771
    Originally posted by Comnitus

The Lich King is a loser. He gets spanked by Paladins (one the most badass ones, Highlord Tirion Fordring) on a regular basis - even on his turf. No one wants to fight him.
    The WoW Expansion will sell a ton because:
    1) Plenty of carrots on sticks, just like WotLK.
    2) Probably a new Hero class.
    3) Tons of people play WoW, and will want to continue their experience, their character's progression - Blizzard will make it so that the only way they can do that is, of course, by buying the expansion.
    There's a lot of curiosity at the moment because some things may have "accidentally" leaked, but it's still all speculation at this point.

That is limited in terms of explanatory power.  Every game that "clones" or plays "like" WoW does that.  Not every game have 5m or 12m sub.

Every game launch with gameplay similar to WoW, some never make it to expansion.

Every expansion gives something like new level cap, new race, new class, new content, new badguys, new gear.  Not every expansion holds the best sales slot for years.  Some games fold up after an expansion, SWG almost fold up with NGE, DAoC almost died with ToA.

You text above, if refers to WoW yes it means lots of business.  If the same above refers to AoC, WAR or even EQ2, it just means meh.  See the difference?

Its takes some user satisfaction to retain sub.  It takes more than just a bit of user satisfaction to have them fork out $50 for another expansion which you seems to see as the same old.

Now don't try to put words in my mouth.  I never say WoW is good.  I just that, it takes more than that you wrote to explain the situation.