Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Control Issues

AstralglideAstralglide Member UncommonPosts: 686

I tried this game, but I ran into two issues that I couldn't overcome.

a) I could NOT get my character to do what I wanted. She bounced around and would get "reset" often. Walking around in the starting area sucked. (No, it wasn't my connection or computer)

b) No jumping?

A witty saying proves nothing.
-Voltaire

Comments

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

I don't understand point A, you'll have to explain what you are trying to do and what you are doing in game in order for us to help you.

Point B, yeah no jumping. I'm not sure why that is so game breaking for some people unless you have ADD or something. After a while of playing you forget about jumping.

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604

Please re-explain point A. I've never had any issue with control

I can appreciate being able to jump, but GW was my first online game and in that time I never missed having the ability to jump.

Don't let little things like jumping keep you from playing a truly unique game!

Cheers.

• mcgeemcgee Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by Astralglide

a) I could NOT get my character to do what I wanted. She bounced around and would get "reset" often. Walking around in the starting area sucked. (No, it wasn't my connection or computer)
    b) No jumping?

Your sig says you played ~40 hours in WoW this week.  I really couldn't give any other game a real chance until I totally quit WoW.  Try only playing one MMO for a week.  Otherwise, you'll be comparing experiences left and right.  GW is a great game and WoW is a great game.  However, GW aint no WoW and I think GW has a lot of things going for it that WoW only dreams of.

• GennadiosGennadios Member Posts: 209

b) No jumping?

A) It's called rubber banding. Usually caused by latency issues. Happens once in a while to me, but the servers are usually pretty reliable, so it's likely your connection that's at fault. GW uses a different set of ports and protocols to connect, so even if other MMOs run flawlessly it may still be a firewall or router problem.

B) Huh? There's no jumping because it adds absolutely nothing to the core gameplay mechanics. If you absolutely MUST bunnyhop everywhere, stick to WoW.

• AstralglideAstralglide Member UncommonPosts: 686
    Originally posted by Gennadios

b) No jumping?

A) It's called rubber banding. Usually caused by latency issues. Happens once in a while to me, but the servers are usually pretty reliable, so it's likely your connection that's at fault. GW uses a different set of ports and protocols to connect, so even if other MMOs run flawlessly it may still be a firewall or router problem.

B) Huh? There's no jumping because it adds absolutely nothing to the core gameplay mechanics. If you absolutely MUST bunnyhop everywhere, stick to WoW.

a) Thank you- I'll check out the game again.

b) Sorry, I just got used to being able to jump. (I'm not a pvper so I don't really do the "bunny-hop" thing

A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Not much more to say except that I thought both extremely frustrating when I began play GW (after having quit WoW) and now hardly mind them at all. It's just a matter of what you're used to, give it a chance and you'll soon find that it's not actually a very big problem.

• ChodemanChodeman Member Posts: 8

Rubber banding lag-like is usually caused when using a speed boosting skill "/stuck" is your friend...

• iainiiaini Member Posts: 52

I never understood the need to jump in the current set of MMO's.. sure you can jump over objects and such but ultimately it's a useless mechanic developers implement then justify by tossing in annoying as hell jumping puzzles.  Hits and misses are determined by behind the scenes number crunching, jumping has zero effect... Just something I never understood.

>_> <_< ^_^