Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

falen earth...nonexistent hype.

severity3severity3 Member Posts: 264

Well, we can spin this however we like to try and make it seem as if the devs are intentionally keeping hype at a very low level to avoid the hype/death trend mmos have been following at launch lately. You know...where companies like funcom overpromise and overhype their game to a level that they cant possibly deliver and naturally fail after initial box sales. This is not the case here. Youre going to hear people spin it, but trust me, dont fall for it. This game is currently recieving exactly as much hype as it warrants.

Just my own opinion based on nothing but speculation, of course. Wouldn't wanna break any nda's or anything if i were in the beta.

Comments

• RedluciferRedlucifer Member Posts: 112

Utterly agree.

Nothing more is needed to say.

• DhaemanDhaeman Member Posts: 531

There's not even a release date. I don't know how well they will handle their marketing but until they know when the product will go live I don't think its wise for this company to push it.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834
    Originally posted by severity3

Well, we can spin this however we like to try and make it seem as if the devs are intentionally keeping hype at a very low level to avoid the hype/death trend mmos have been following at launch lately. You know...where companies like funcom overpromise and overhype their game to a level that they cant possibly deliver and naturally fail after initial box sales. This is not the case here. Youre going to hear people spin it, but trust me, dont fall for it. This game is currently recieving exactly as much hype as it warrants.

Just my own opinion based on nothing but speculation, of course. Wouldn't wanna break any nda's or anything if i were in the beta.

Hype is NOT bad.  What is bad is when what you buy isn't what was advertised (WAR) or its not working (Anarchy Online) or it works for 20 levels (Age of Conan).

I think people in general will accept that a new MMO isn't the best thing ever.  As long as its pretty much what they thought they were buying, can actually be played and has mostly complete content (by that I mean perhaps end game content isn't 100% done but will be by the time most reach it).

Of course there is also personal hype.  Where you see "player crafted" etc and think "Oh my god!!! this is like the new Ultima Online..."  and then its not.

Oh and of course... no one would want to break any NDA"s that they may or may not have agreed to.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

Not sure that NDA is in place...so no spoilers.

Small studio with a decent MMORPG in their hands.

It is not going to be for everyone, but it does have features and gameplay that I know some people are looking for. Most likely It is going to be a niche MMO, but I really hope they succeed because I really liked some of the features and overall quality of the game. Again it is a small studio and some features are not going to be as well-designed and look as good as for some of the bigger titles.

I might be checking back on this game once I have had my fun with Aion.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• TrowarTrowar Member Posts: 147

Trying to speculate I think Icarus is highly inspired by CCP, rather than Funcom or Mythic. As in start small and grow bigger rather adverticing like mad to get a massive crowd at start that they are then trying to keep. Why? Probably because they are a much smaller company than Funcom and Mythic, and  there is no cheaper way to advertise than player driven hype.

By keeping it at low hype the first players will be the ones that are looking for just this kind of game and hey will be much more forgiving than disgruntled ex-WoW players that leaves a game that has been tweaked for five years.

The game has so much potential that I hope the launch will go well. As it is now the game takes place in a small part of USA, I hope one day be able to travel to Europe in-game. *Hold thumbs*

=)

• ninjajucerninjajucer Member Posts: 219
    Originally posted by Trowar

Trying to speculate I think Icarus is highly inspired by CCP, rather than Funcom or Mythic. As in start small and grow bigger rather adverticing like mad to get a massive crowd at start that they are then trying to keep. Why? Probably because they are a much smaller company than Funcom and Mythic, and  there is no cheaper way to advertise than player driven hype.
    By keeping it at low hype the first players will be the ones that are looking for just this kind of game and hey will be much more forgiving than disgruntled ex-WoW players that leaves a game that has been tweaked for five years.
    The game has so much potential that I hope the launch will go well. As it is now the game takes place in a small part of USA, I hope one day be able to travel to Europe in-game. *Hold thumbs*
    =)

Well, the maps are huge, but empty. The game simply needs too much work to release in a month. And theres a very good reason why the NDA has not been lifted yet. Think about that.

Originally posted by ninjajucer

Well, the maps are huge, but empty. The game simply needs too much work to release in a month. And theres a very good reason why the NDA has not been lifted yet. Think about that.

What is left is debugging and stress testing. They have to know how many players there can be on a server to get an idea how many servers they need to have, that is hardly unique for FE. There is nothing official about anything new will be added from now to the release that needs to be playtested, but there has been a suggested, not official feature that I think Icarus might consider in the future that makes me wonder if the maps are big or empty enough.

I hope not it will be implemented and I can´t talk about it because of NDA. But since you are a beta-tester you do know what possible feature I am talking about.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183
    What is left is debugging and stress testing.

Ah, yeah....anyone who actually believes this, please let me know...I have this nice bridge for sale...

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

Ah, yeah....anyone who actually believes this, please let me know...I have this nice bridge for sale...

Debugging and performance tweaking are there even in the oldest and most mature of mmorpgs. Of course that is an issue in new games even if you try to downgrade it.

Since you know all about the game, what is left then of what have been promised? If you don´t know what is missing, then  I understand why you are trying to sell that "nice bridge" you once bought. ;-)

Debugging and performance tweaking are there even in the oldest and most mature of mmorpgs. Of course that is an issue in new games even if you try to downgrade it.

Since you know all about the game, what is left then of what have been promised? If you don´t know what is missing, then  I understand why you are trying to sell that "nice bridge" you once bought. ;-)

Nice bait tactic, but I'm under the NDA, just as I assume you are. I could write a friggin' novel about what's wrong with FE, and trust me, once the NDA drops I will.

• adrianemeryadrianemery Member Posts: 250

Well considering your on the official forums just slagging the game off there without any real reasons I'd get working on that.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

There are likely good reasons as to why they are trying to release quietly.

Joined - July 2004

Originally posted by adrianemery

Well considering your on the official forums just slagging the game off there without any real reasons I'd get working on that.

you might want to check my post history over there...you'll see that I've given plenty of reasons, and even done so in a constructive way.

you might want to check my post history over there...you'll see that I've given plenty of reasons, and even done so in a constructive way.

We have seen your opinion "I think this is a bad game" but not why you think so.

So far every single one of your replies shows that you are not in beta and you asume  it is bad.

Every single one.

The only reply that has any sort of detail was your post that one needed a powerful computer to run it smoothly. You don´t even have to have an average computer, there are areas with lag but that is not on your side. Less than 1 Gb RAM will cause problems, but since when is 1 Gb RAM Nasa engineered?

If you are indeed in Beta and unhappy you can make suggestions in Fallen Earths beta forums what needs to improve and what is great. And what bugs needs most attention to be fixed. That is what being  constructive is.  By your post history about Fallen Earth it is obvious you don´t have a clue what that is. 

So pick your options:

A. "I think this is a bad game and I don´t have to motivate why".

B. Come to the conclusion that we have got "A" because you have told us a  dozen times already and move on to other forums.

C. Give a "selling bridges" reply to attack any poster that says anything positive about the game.

D. Explain why you think the game is so bad in your opinion finally? Then we can actually talk. We might actually think you have been in the game if you do that.

We have seen your opinion "I think this is a bad game" but not why you think so.

I've never EVER said that I think FE is a bad game.

So far every single one of your replies shows that you are not in beta and you asume  it is bad.

Every single one.

Here's a hint....if you ARE in beta...check the recent posts over there, and look for someone with a purple skull as an avatar....I'm not hard to find no matter where I am. That is, if I AM actually in beta...and I'm not admitting that I am...

The only reply that has any sort of detail was your post that one needed a powerful computer to run it smoothly. You don´t even have to have an average computer, there are areas with lag but that is not on your side. Less than 1 Gb RAM will cause problems, but since when is 1 Gb RAM Nasa engineered?

If you are indeed in Beta and unhappy you can make suggestions in Fallen Earths beta forums what needs to improve and what is great. And what bugs needs most attention to be fixed. That is what being  constructive is.  By your post history about Fallen Earth it is obvious you don´t have a clue what that is. 

You really are clueless aren't you?? You mind if I copy this part of your post so that after the NDA is released, I can re-post it so we can all have a good laugh at your expense?? That is, assuming that I actually AM in the beta, which I would never actually admit to.  ;)

So pick your options:

A. "I think this is a bad game and I don´t have to motivate why".

B. Come to the conclusion that we have got "A" because you have told us a  dozen times already and move on to other forums.

C. Give a "selling bridges" reply to attack any poster that says anything positive about the game.

D. Explain why you think the game is so bad in your opinion finally? Then we can actually talk. We might actually think you have been in the game if you do that.

You want my opinion?? Really?? Ok...FE is POTENTIALLY a great game, but it's potential is entirely conditional on weather or not it ends up being half-finished at release.

And this of course seems like an opinion that ANYONE could form, weather they were bound by an NDA or not.

• happydan20happydan20 Member UncommonPosts: 260

i think the nonexistant hype has a lot to do with the NDA. you can't generate word of mouth if you're not allowed to speak.

• RedwoodSapRedwoodSap Member Posts: 1,235

There is hype for Fallen Earth, mostly negative.

• happydan20happydan20 Member UncommonPosts: 260

well for me its positive, without playing the beta im as excited as i could be for the game, but i discovered the game accidentally.  So based on my singular experience, I think its simply the people that know about the game, can't tell anyone how good or bad it is.

• SandbloxSandblox Member UncommonPosts: 180

Supposedly open beta is coming soonish, which I am excited about not because I need in the beta, but can at last speak openly about this game, so so much to say, I am sure a lot of people have plenty to say when that times comes and I bet most of it not so good. Sept 9th?? wow....why oh why..i mean just seems like they want to commit suicide...

Sept- Aion a popular and polished MMO launches, Champions Online launches, Age of Conan releases details of their expansion pack, Cities XL launches, Mortal Online will have many blocks of beta testers getting into game and then...Fallen Earth on the bottom of the heap. Ahh well.

• JonolinbJonolinb Member Posts: 66

Thought I would weigh in as well. The game isn't anything special. If you're an EvE player looking for something new (which is what a large number of those interested in this game are I suspect), then you should probably stick to EvE. I don't find anything about it very sandbox-ish...

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Originally posted by severity3

An interesting argument based on your dislike for the game. Interesting but flawed by bias.

I can tell you FE is inspired. It is an exciting proposal that delivers on all features it says it intends to. Its a thinking mans game, Its aimed at an older gamer, i expect adults over 21 to enjoy it many times more than the wow kids, It is sooooo much more fun than the current crock of shit on the market.