Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there really PVP ?

roy686roy686 Member Posts: 29

Hi guys. I heard that there was pvp and it wasnt that bad ? I was a big fan of eq1. I really would like to play eq2 but i need some kind of pvp after playing wow-daoc-war-lineage2. I know eq2 dont have a nice system of pvp but i heard that there was some good pvp on some server. Can someone give me info about it please ?

I really mist the nice crafting systing that i know eq2 have but i need some kind of pvp.

Give me 1 pvp reason to come to eq2 :)

Comments

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Originally posted by roy686

Hi guys. I heard that there was pvp and it wasnt that bad ? I was a big fan of eq1. I really would like to play eq2 but i need some kind of pvp after playing wow-daoc-war-lineage2. I know eq2 dont have a nice system of pvp but i heard that there was some good pvp on some server. Can someone give me info about it please ?
    I really mist the nice crafting systing that i know eq2 have but i need some kind of pvp.
    Give me 1 pvp reason to come to eq2 :)

I loath PvP with a passion because of the attitude it brings out in others.

If thats your bag, there are PvP only servers and its pretty much FFA. Regular servers have PvP ONLY through the Arena (which no one ever goes to on any server) and through dueling. To duel, you type /duel and the other characters name. If you get a refusal, DO NOT then pm the person to try to get them to duel you. If they wanted to duel you, they wouldn't have the auto-refusal turned on or they wouldn't have denied the request. Pming a person for this purpose is considered rude and will likely get you on their ignore list. In this game, the ignore list pretty much means every single character from your account will be ignored so simply creating another character to harass them (as I have had done to me in many other games) because of it will do nothing.

So PvP being ok? Not from what I've heard from most other players. There's a reason I don't go to PvP servers and shut the /duel request off. Because of the behavior of other people. With those two things removed from my game, the worst problem I ever have is with people ignoring something I say in /ooc.

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888
    Originally posted by Moirae

I have to agree on this.  I've played most PvP games and find I don't like them because they really bring out the worst in most people.  Myself included...  You know you get mad about someone that killed you then you hunt them and kill them or just go on a killing spree and realize you are ruining the game for other people and eventually I just get discusted and log.  Last time I logged out of wow it was after being killed 3-4 times in a row.  I was being chain killed at the graveyard.  I'd go to my body which was right there and after I came back into the game a high lvl guy would stun me or something so I couldn't move then someone my level would kill me.  Rince and repeat.  After 3-4 times trying to get away with no luck I just gave up.  This unfortunately is all too often the situation in PvP games esp ones that have no penalty for killing.

Aion is a great example of a potentially good game which is heavily PvP oriented.  I played it in open beta and it was good up until the level where rifts open and then people camp the zones killing players who are fighting mobs.  Nothing like a good fair fight when you wait till someone is 50% health then swoop in for a sneak attack.  Course that isn't too bad there are limits on it but it only gets worse from there.  That starts at lvl 20.

Anyway PvP in my experience is a huge negative in a MMO game.  I much prefer PvE experiences where people play together and help one another doing instances or raids.   Open PvP is the worst.  DaoC was probably the best with RvR.

---
    Ethion

• SarykSaryk Member UncommonPosts: 476

EQ2 has PvP, but not worth your time, there is no point. Warhammer would be a better game for PvP. If you want a group/solo game with great graphics and awesome content that can immerse you with the voice acting and quest. EQ2 is ready to play, today.

• lifeofagonylifeofagony Member Posts: 67

I love the  PvP in EQ2. It really just adds another depth to the game.Anybody can PvE.Killing computer mobs is very fun and sometimes challenging but for me killing another player is a real thrill.Now i have played Warhammer and DAoC and the have very fine PvP.DAoC is the best in RvR and Warhammer has some nice castle sieges.But i really got into EQ2 because it has great PvE with the added bonus of good PvP.I like questing and running into a enemy player and doing battle.I play on Nagefin server and it packed full of PvE and PvP.IF you want that extra challenge join a PvP sever if not play PvE and enjoy one of the best mmos out there.Its better then WOW.

Originally posted by ethion

Originally posted by Moirae

I have to agree on this.  I've played most PvP games and find I don't like them because they really bring out the worst in most people.  Myself included...  You know you get mad about someone that killed you then you hunt them and kill them or just go on a killing spree and realize you are ruining the game for other people and eventually I just get discusted and log.  Last time I logged out of wow it was after being killed 3-4 times in a row.  I was being chain killed at the graveyard.  I'd go to my body which was right there and after I came back into the game a high lvl guy would stun me or something so I couldn't move then someone my level would kill me.  Rince and repeat.  After 3-4 times trying to get away with no luck I just gave up.  This unfortunately is all too often the situation in PvP games esp ones that have no penalty for killing.

Aion is a great example of a potentially good game which is heavily PvP oriented.  I played it in open beta and it was good up until the level where rifts open and then people camp the zones killing players who are fighting mobs.  Nothing like a good fair fight when you wait till someone is 50% health then swoop in for a sneak attack.  Course that isn't too bad there are limits on it but it only gets worse from there.  That starts at lvl 20.

Anyway PvP in my experience is a huge negative in a MMO game.  I much prefer PvE experiences where people play together and help one another doing instances or raids.   Open PvP is the worst.  DaoC was probably the best with RvR.

Yes, exactly. In WoW, I was harassed when I wouldn't PvP with people. Seriously, they'd log out and log back in as other characters or get their friends to harass me. The only way I finally stopped it was by deleting the character. Yes, I've even played PvP and found it was a source of endless aggravation for me as people camp you to kill you over and over again and gloat in pm to you when they do it.

I will never PvP again. Pity that Darkfall is PvP centered. It looked like a rather good game until I saw that.

• PuffahPuffah Member Posts: 31

I am a lover of PVP, and I currently play EQ2 on Naggy, I must that EQ2 PVP is horrible. Thankfully therei s a million other things to do.. The engine just doesn't lend itself to PVP the way WAR and WOW does.. And you're going up against twinks with the best of everything. Starting out fresh you are going to have a hard time in PVP. So many cowards who love to mess with you while you're in the middle of a fight, but once they realize they won't win, they run off like little bitches, this happens to me about 3-5 times per day..

• EogrisEogris Member UncommonPosts: 102

Hey i've been playing on Nagafen pvp server on my wizard. The really tough thing about Eq2 pvp is that you have to work so hard on getting all your mastercrafted gear and all of your AA skills that you need to be competitive. Once you get past that it is pretty fun :)

• ronan32ronan32 Member Posts: 1,418

I think raiding brings out the worst in people also.

Originally posted by ronan32

I've only raided a few times but I've never had a problem. The worst thing that happened to me was lag. I had to turn everything down as far as it would go to move properly. Raids are confusing with so many people fighting at once.

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888
    Originally posted by ronan32

It can in terms of greed or frustration but it is really different in terms of the negatives.  It also brings out huge positives in terms of team work and working together as a team to defeat a big boss.  At no point does it ever approach the negativity that PvP can induce in people.  PvP is about killing other players and quite frequently when your target has no chance against you.  PvP players have  a lot of jerks that love an unfair fight.  

I think my most recent experience with PvP mentality was when I was playing Chronicals of Spellborn.  A guy in a guild I joined was gleefully talking nonstop about how he was chain killing people coming into some area or something.  He was even asking for more people to join him.  He was max level and basically as people entered some area most of them being several levels lower he would jump them and if you played spellborn you know a lot is determined in the first few minutes.  Anyway after a couple of evenings playing with this guy going on about killing noobs as he called them, I basically logged and canceled my account.

Elective PvP kinda like in battlegrounds or scenarios in warhammer are fun.  Open, forced PvP isn't.  Well I should say generally there was a game I played once that was open pvp and was good.  It was a long time ago the game was called underlight.  What was nice was that the house leaders had a special spell they could use to perma kill someone.  So when someone became a jerk they went out and perma killed them.  Another game that was pretty good was shadowbane although I definitely got pissed at times and definitely did my share of revenge killing.  I quite that game eventually because I was just getting too mean and nasty.

---
    Ethion