Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

US intentionally poisoning the rest of the world

bhugbhug Member UncommonPosts: 944

E-waste: disposed of outdated and expensive to repair electronic products. (e.g. TVs, printers, laptops, computer monitors, MP3 players...)
These electronic products contain toxic substances like lead, mercury, cadmium and flame retardants. When improperly handled, workers and the environment are harmed in ways the US chooses to ignore.

Greater than 50% of e-waste generated in the US and Canada is being sent to India, China and Africa; because it costs a fraction to 'dispose' of it there than properly at home.
Besides there, adults and children make money 'backyard recycling' scrap electronic products. Unprotected workers heat the e-waste over open fires to remove reusable components, soaking what is left in acid baths to extract reclaimable metals. In the process those 'backyard recyclers' are exposed to a variety of toxic substances. Toxic residuals from the process are also polluting local water, soil and the air.

Backyard recycling is such a widespread practice in India that Dr. Thuppil Venkaratesh, advisor to the National Referral Center for Lead Poisoning in India, reports 53% of the children under 12 (in Bangalore, India) have elevated lead levels in their blood, which is resulting in brain damage and is restricting their ability to learn.

The majority of western countries (with the exception of the US and Canada) have enacted rules to prevent the improper disposal of e-waste and support the ineffective international treaty (the Basel Convention) that bans trans-border shipments. (e.g. often european e-waste is exported under the guise of being 'reusable gifts')

Comments

• DemonshankDemonshank Member Posts: 91

So change the topic to: US, Canada, and Europe saves money by sending e-waste to India, China, and Africa.

We arent forcing them to 'Backyard Recycle' it.

This is cheap and disingenuous OP'r.

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

You're topic should be titled: "US and Canada intentionally poisoning the rest of the world"

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• LiquidWolfLiquidWolf Member CommonPosts: 516

Unprotected workers heat the e-waste over open fires to remove reusable components, soaking what is left in acid baths to extract reclaimable metals.

Sending the materials over there... yes I agree that it could be done better.

After that... whatever happens over there, whoever chooses to do work, in whatever conditions... isn't anything someone else should deal with.

Stop bad dumping is a good thing.

Stopping people from doing this work/activities that hurt themselves : No

Many individuals in those countries are making quite a bit of money off of this recycle/material reclamation process... so I don't expect it will stop even if the US / Canada dump better.

Chances are those individuals who find that business to be lucrative will be willing to relocate or modify the terms of getting this "trash" to continue doing it.

While it can be called intentional, I have a hard time seeing this as anything malicious. A number of people in charge of this disposal method probably see that someone in the country is making money off the dumping.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

the grim truth of the matter is certain areas of the world starve to death because theres too many mouths to feed, gotta thin the herd somehow dont we?  i mean thats the responsible thing to do instead of watching them die of starvation as children, a little sterility never hurt anyone.

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

Title should be "India poisoning the world". They are the ones improperly disposing of the materials. If they want to buy the waste, they take the responsibility of taking care of it.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

So...let me get this straight. These other countries, wish to purchase our "waste" and then reprocess said waste in their own country for profit, and yet we not only should say no, but also put through legislation to make it illegal?

Sorry... I am a firm believer that unless someone is doing something that is going to hurt me, that I should leave them alone. For instance, I think running with the bulls in italy is suicidal, Im not a fan of bungee jumping, sky diving, or eating raw oysters, however... all that being said. I'm not your mommy and you as your own person can do whatevver the hell you like.

If you want to buy my toxic waste and snort it then Im going to laugh, call you an idiot, and tell you who to make the check out to.

You dont have to legislate stupidity just because people are morons.

• haratuharatu Member UncommonPosts: 409

Interesting fact: there is more gold in a tonne of used computers than in a tonne of gold ore. 

neorandom, glad to know you are volunteering to be sterile for the future of the world, it is always good to know that there is someone who is not harmed by sterility so that others can have children themselves.

what is a tonne?  i know a ton is 2000 pounds, and a metric ton is a load of kilos, but ive never seen the tonne.

• haratuharatu Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Originally posted by neorandom

what is a tonne?  i know a ton is 2000 pounds, and a metric ton is a load of kilos, but ive never seen the tonne.

For those Americans who can not spell: a tonne is 1000 kilogram and is the correct English way to spell "ton". A simple Google search of "tonne" would show you this.

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

Of course we are poisoning the world, its a cheaper takeover than the military option...sheesh thought everyone had that figured out by now.

• Billr00Billr00 Member UncommonPosts: 135

52% of all seemingly scientific facts are made up ..

• qotsaqotsa Member UncommonPosts: 835

Well duh. We can't take the land if they're living on it!

Crazy isn't it? "We are poisoning the world" "The government is poisoning us with the vapor trails from airplanes" Once we're done, there won't be anyone left, except the people properly protected with foil hats.

• spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531

Is this the part where I get down on my knees and ask God for forgiveness for the last cheap-ass printer I bought? Consequently, it was made in China. I wonder what tech is made in India, only to be imported and peddled here?

Things are not built to last anymore.

Ya know, its good to be informed about issues and be socially conscience.  But as the title suggest, this quite simply is meant to be yet another dagger in the back of Americans,  not a dialogue in hopes of actually fixing the problem. What a terribly designed read.

i assure you everyone but your sad little island spells it ton.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

The US is the only country to do such things, and is terrible for it.

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

Never underestimate the stupidity of the common person...

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• neoterrarneoterrar Member Posts: 512

Ya know in many states you have to pay for a plastic/aluminum/glass bottle and get the money back when you return it.

You have to pay to dispose of used auto parts.(legally)

Why are computer parts exempt?

• CoralisCoralis Member Posts: 31

Hey they built the crap and sent it over here its only fair to give it back when we are down with it.

• treysmoothtreysmooth Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by Pyrostasis

So...let me get this straight. These other countries, wish to purchase our "waste" and then reprocess said waste in their own country for profit, and yet we not only should say no, but also put through legislation to make it illegal?
    Sorry... I am a firm believer that unless someone is doing something that is going to hurt me, that I should leave them alone. For instance, I think running with the bulls in italy is suicidal, Im not a fan of bungee jumping, sky diving, or eating raw oysters, however... all that being said. I'm not your mommy and you as your own person can do whatevver the hell you like.
    If you want to buy my toxic waste and snort it then Im going to laugh, call you an idiot, and tell you who to make the check out to.
    You dont have to legislate stupidity just because people are morons.

+1 for reason

To the OP give up the anti US crusade.  Like the poster above me said,  the people in India CHOOSE to import the materials to try to turn a buck.  How in the world can you blame the people selling the e waste for the bad recycling methods of another country?  I'm sorry we in NA are not the keeper of the people of other countries and if they want to do dangerous things with e waste that is for them to decide.

• thorosuchthorosuch Member UncommonPosts: 127

What a tonne of  E waste...

Getting old is mandatory...growing up is optional.

• HluillHluill Member UncommonPosts: 161

I cannot believe that I read this thread.  I feel my IQ diminishing as I contemplate it...

The only thing that would make me feel even more moronic would be posting...

/doh

TSW, LotRO, EQ2, SWTOR, GW2, V:SoH, Neverwinter, ArchAge, EQ, UO, DAoC, WAR, DDO, AoC, MO, BDO, SotA, B&S, ESO, 

• thaniththanith Member Posts: 144

ok, my first and last post on this "topic"

i predict this nonsense will last until page 6

*laughs*

• haggus71haggus71 Member Posts: 254

Pyrostasis, they run bulls in Pamplona, SPAIN, not Italy.  They don't even bullfight in Italy.  Read more.

OP: the United Arab Emirates make their money from recycling precious metals and reselling them.  A lot of this is from the e-waste you are talking about.  You want to cut out their economy?  Good job.  Most of those in India and China that practice this do it in better facilities than "over a campfire", because doing it the way you say is inefficient.  Don't you think that they want to get as much as they can out of this process?

Oh, Europe can talk a talk, but last I heard, they have over 350 million people.  A lot of computer and electronics owners, eh?  Quit seeking out one bogey man, and realize that it's something being done in all nations.

• demented669demented669 Member Posts: 402

what !  somthing horrible is happening in this world !! wow i never knew that, i though we lived in a happy loving reality, this info just blows my mind....

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Hey, we've got quite a few 'tonnes' of spent nuclear fuel rods that we've got no idea what to do with, think we can sell them too?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon