Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is leveling still slow in LoTRO?

I started in beta and played for 6 months after release. I got my Minstrel to 40 then quit as it seemed leveling was too slow for me. I came back late last year and left after 3 months cause it seemed after level 30 that it took too long to level still. Has this changed? I am starting to think that I can never catch up in an MMO after an expansion is released.

Comments

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

Turbine is regularly flipping the "extra XP switch", and they've revamped the leveling pace in the lower 40 levels. With the revamp of Angmar and the addition of Forochel, it's pretty easy to blast through the 40s.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• LethalBurstLethalBurst Member UncommonPosts: 367

Leveling is too fast now, IMO.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

I played a full month and made it to 35, i found it slow compared to other mmo i played, but maybe it's just me and being new to the game.

• Jellyf1shJellyf1sh Member Posts: 40

Leveling is definitely faster than the last time you logged on. The XP curve was adjusted a few months back and it's realistic to reach level 20 in a couple of days, and level 35 in about 10-14 days.

Also Turbine have been systematically revamping lower level areas to bring the game into line with later content. The result has been a more focussed leveling experience in those areas so far updated (Shire/Erid Luin and Breeland).

I have to say that once you leave those areas (around 20-25), leveling really seems to slow down a lot. (more than simply the fact that you have a larger XP goal each level). The good news is that Turbine should be continuing these reworkings in future updates, so a revamped Lone Lands and North Downs can't be far away.

My personal opinion is that the starter areas seem to be over very quickly. This is okay for a veteran who wants to level a number of characters (I have 7!), but i do wonder if new starters are being hustled along at a pace that may leave little time to savour the atmosphere and storyline that makes this MMO really stand above the rest.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

If you think leveling is too slow in Lord of the Rings Online than you probably find 15 second commercials for something you like to also be too long.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • UlafUlaf Member UncommonPosts: 33

I played LoTR at release and for about 5-6 months after, till I got bored. I never found lvling in LoTR slow in fact I found it to fast. Maybe I just play  to much.  I was not in a rush or running thru content cuase there was no real end game stuff at the time but I found getting to 50 not really all that hard. 

My kids were playing  last month and the lvled to 35ish in a week? If that is any help.

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

I would say it's very slow. In 8 months, I got to level 44, before basically giving up on the game (in May 09). I have a lifetime sub, unfortunately, so I can never really give up, as much as I wish I could.

By contrast, I hit 100 in 4 months in Sword of the New World (a Korean Grinder) and 3 months in Atlantica Online.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

3 days left on my Free Trial and focusing on one Warden, I have him at level 21. I play it no more than 2-4 hours per day, spread out, so I wouldn't say leveling is slow. 21 levels in 7 days. Maybe it used to be, I wouldn't know.

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888
    Originally posted by Comnitus

3 days left on my Free Trial and focusing on one Warden, I have him at level 21. I play it no more than 2-4 hours per day, spread out, so I wouldn't say leveling is slow. 21 levels in 7 days. Maybe it used to be, I wouldn't know.

I didn't think the free trial let you play the characters from the expansion?  I was kinda disappointed when I got the invite to come back to LoTRo I wasn't able to play either of the two new classes, it said I needed to buy the expansion....

Anyway the xp goes pretty fast for the first 10-15 levels but starts to slow down quite a bit as you get into the 20s esp if you work on other things like harvesting picking up achievements which are pretty important and hard to avoid.

---
    Ethion

• donjuanamigodonjuanamigo Member Posts: 256

leveling is pretty good. what takes so long is getting the new gear in the end game stuff.

• falc0nfalc0n Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Originally posted by CWEGuru

I started in beta and played for 6 months after release. I got my Minstrel to 40 then quit as it seemed leveling was too slow for me. I came back late last year and left after 3 months cause it seemed after level 30 that it took too long to level still. Has this changed? I am starting to think that I can never catch up in an MMO after an expansion is released.

what a coincidence i played from beta till i got my minstrel to 42 then quit. wierd huh.

• seabass2003seabass2003 Member Posts: 4,144

Leveling was never slow in LOTRO. It must be the easiest and fastest leveling game out right now.

In America I have bad teeth. If I lived in England my teeth would be perfect.

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757

Levelling has been one of the quickest in this game, if someone really only wanted to level. Even at launch, levelling from 1 to 35 was very quick, however at that time there was a gradual slowdown due to lack of solo quests at 35-40, and later between about lvl 42-45. But after they added Evendim (35-40), Forochel (40-45), and Misty mountains east (45-50), plus revamped Angmar adding a ton of new quests, levelling solo to max have ever been easy as hell.

On top of everything, they furthermore changed the XP curve recently, and now honestly, in my humble casual gamer's opinion, leveling as actually way too fast. You will happen to miss quite a big portion of the content, unless you're willing to do greyed out quests. Lots of it.... :/

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

• sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421

I think people forget that there are two groups of MMO players. The EQ-clone crowd (this includes WoW and Lotro) and the asian MMO's.

The asian MMO's usually have HUGE level ranges, and so levelling up is relatively fast but also meaningless. But it keeps the people who like to hear "ding" happy.

The western MMO's are typically slower but with fewer levels and each level brings something. In Lotro this is often a skill or a class quest or a new set of items etc etc.

Another point is that Lotro is really not about levelling up. The game's endgame is really not why most people play Lotro and you will be missing out on a lot of content.

I see a LOT of new players who have raced to 60 but skipped huge areas and not for instance done their class quests or even heard about them.

Over its life, levelling has come faster and faster and it shows. Quality of players has gone done and down. 

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by CWEGuru

Yes, you actually level too fast in this game in my opinion anymore.  Not "wtfjuststarted playing AOCyesterday" bullshit fast but its immensely faster than when the game launched.  They've also added a lot of content too so it goes quicker unlike at launch where the number of quests at higher levels was rather anemic.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783

First off, I have to agree with those point out that levelling is if anything, too fast. It's the fastest of an MMO I have ever played for any length of time. (and I have played from launch on)

Example: we recently dragged a rl friend into playing, he is definately a "casual" player..full time job, married etc doesn't play most days at all. In the less than 6 months since we roped him in, he has one fully traited and well geared 60th and two more over 50th, one of which he plans on working to 60th.

If you find it slow chances are either you're not following the quest lines (and thus are in level inappropriate areas) or just totally lack perspective to measure it against.

• Jeff44Jeff44 Member Posts: 459

Leveling is anything BUT slow in this game, which unfortunately causes some players to try to rush through to get to the level cap and the "good stuff", never realizing that the content that they bypassed IS the "good stuff".

user
  • WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Levelling is so-so in LOTRO.  Definitely not what I'd consider slow compared to some other MMOs out there.  By far the most miserable experience I had in levelling was Lineage II.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• WintersbiteWintersbite Member Posts: 146

I've been playing on and off for about two weeks. No more than about 2-3 hours when ever I do play, and I'm level 37 Minstrel.

i'd say about a 65-35% split on solo-group play. I would say it's about right.

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

I have a lifetime sub and I gave up playing about 3 months after launch because I found leveling to be too slow. I began playing again recently and have leveled 3 characters to 17, 18, and 21. After hitting 18 on my newest guy I checked my /played time it was 17 hours.

So far I don't feel like its a drag to level. I know it will begin to take longer to level but just so long as I see some progress after 2-3 hours of play I'll be happy. It's when it starts to take 5+ hours of steady doing quests and I still haven't leveled that I begin to lose intrest.

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757
    Originally posted by Sanguinelust

I have a lifetime sub and I gave up playing about 3 months after launch because I found leveling to be too slow. I began playing again recently and have leveled 3 characters to 17, 18, and 21. After hitting 18 on my newest guy I checked my /played time it was 17 hours.
    So far I don't feel like its a drag to level. I know it will begin to take longer to level but just so long as I see some progress after 2-3 hours of play I'll be happy. It's when it starts to take 5+ hours of steady doing quests and I still haven't leveled that I begin to lose intrest.

It's a lot more paying off if you are actually listening to the storyline(s) while questing.

I recently started a new alt, and was playing only to read the quests and enjoying myself. I never even realized that I levelled to 18 in barely more than 2 playing sessions.

It all depends on what you are concentrating on. Concentrating on leveling only could mean you are missing the best parts of the game. It is definitely not the right aim to try to level up asap in this game. I have a lvl 60, trust me :)

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

I'm only at level 31, but I think leveling is TOO FAST!  My son (lvl 35) and I both took a break because even though I read the storyplots (as that's the part I really like) I found I was blowing through quests way too fast to really enjoy it (not sure about my son and the reading, but he felt the same way).

It wasn't that we were rushing through or anything, just that you get so caught up, you find you've burned through 6 - 10 quests in just 4 hours or so.  We're not hardcore, must play X hours a night types.  Generally 2 - 3 hours, 2 to 3 times a week, plus Saturday.

Neither of us have any real desire to level cap and want to enjoy the journey not end it too soon.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• demarc01demarc01 Member UncommonPosts: 429

It really depends on how you play.

Me and the wife just recently got into Lotro. We started off a Warden and Minstrel combo. Initially we did every quest, deed, task we could find. I'd say it took us about 2 months to hit 60 (we do play a fair bit tho).

I decided the Warden was'ent for me and rolled a Captain. Took me about 5 days (RL days not played) to power it through to 60. Of course I skipped deeds and whole quest lines just burning through content to "Catch-up" with the wife's Minstrel.

So in short you can level slow or fast depending on how much of the game you want to experiance.

I will say that leveling is very little of the game though, people say there is no content at 60 and i disagree. Once you get to 60 your gonna spend ALOT of time rounding out deeds (for virtue traits) running and re-running instances (for LIXP and gear) your gonna be working reps (Iron garrison and Gala) .. not to mention the amount of time your gonna spend leveling and releveling LI's to get the perfect ones.

Does this become a little grindy? Sure .. but thats the nature of MMORPGS. Theres plenty to do at all levels of the game and the level of your character is a very small aspect of the game.

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by DonnieBrasco

Originally posted by Sanguinelust

It's a lot more paying off if you are actually listening to the storyline(s) while questing.

I recently started a new alt, and was playing only to read the quests and enjoying myself. I never even realized that I levelled to 18 in barely more than 2 playing sessions.

It all depends on what you are concentrating on. Concentrating on leveling only could mean you are missing the best parts of the game. It is definitely not the right aim to try to level up asap in this game. I have a lvl 60, trust me :)

DB

Well I suppose in the end it's all about your play style. Some people like to power their way to endgame and some like to take in the entire game. I'm a little bit of both you could say. I don't worry about missing out on too much of the story lines because I find I really enjoy taking my time leveling another class after I've hit cap with my first one. This way I already know where to go and what to do but now I can take my time and see what I missed running there the first time out. I'm not too worried about endgame, I'll get there eventually and if it's not exciting then there is an even better reason to take my time with the alt.

• YauchyYauchy Member UncommonPosts: 298

Relatively its one of the fastest leveling of any MMO <_<

But really its by a zone by zone basis.  Some zones you can do chains in less than an hour and others where its a snail crawl back & forth.  So overally its faster than normally, but every dozen levels or so you hit some slow spots.

Also it depends on your play style, but most of the repliers have it stated well :)