Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggestion on how to write a review

InzraInzra Member Posts: 679

I'm gonna put forth a suggestion i might not follow myself actually, but maybe someone else will. Myself i just write uncomplete amateur views which doesn't really cover everything. But anyway.

I'd reckon a good place to start would probably be with the first impression. That could start as far back as when you first noticed the game. How is the registering process of the company site, downloading/installing the game.

Then my suggestion is to make either a 2-day, 2-week, 2 to 3 -month, or Endgame review.

The 2 day review, which shouldn't be based on playing the game longer than 2 days, would cover the real first impression. Although you might discover something later in the game that would change your view, the first impression is still crucial for some, and some of them will never play the game longer than a day or two. This would cover how the game "welcome" you, is the GUI userfriendly, how is the community ingame acting in chat and "physically", graphics, startup options.

The 2 week review would simply cover more detailed, and how you feel about the game after this time. Is anything "getting old" fast, anything that is repeating and boring, annoying things and good things over this shorter time.

The 2-3 month review would cover most aspects of the game, perhaps also include an Endgame review if you had reached it in that time.

The Endgame review would cover how the game feels to you after having ventured into endgame and if it still has anything to offer at this point, and what that is, and if you see any potential for future updates/expansions that players can benefit from.

Thi's is just my suggestion though, make your own or supply/critizise this one if you like.

Comments

• fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by Inzra

I'm gonna put forth a suggestion i might not follow myself actually, but maybe someone else will. Myself i just write uncomplete amateur views which doesn't really cover everything. But anyway.

Thanks for the chuckle
  • InzraInzra Member Posts: 679
    Originally posted by fansede

Originally posted by Inzra

Thanks for the chuckle

np

But maybe I'll try to follow it now since I've put it forth

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

Not a bad suggestion. HOwever I wager a lot of what players want in a review is 'Whats it going to be like if I dedicate 6 months and ~$100 to this game...will I be satisfied"

Heck, I am still learning the ropes myself

• InzraInzra Member Posts: 679
    Originally posted by Czzarre

Not a bad suggestion. HOwever I wager a lot of what players want in a review is 'Whats it going to be like if I dedicate 6 months and ~$100 to this game...will I be satisfied"
    Heck, I am still learning the ropes myself

I think a 2/3 months review could indicate something, but if the game is older than 6 months an Endgame review might do the trick perhaps. Depends how fast people go with 6 months, or how much time people spend on mmorpg's i guess, and ofc how easy it is to access all the game has to offer.

As for me I was subscribed to AoC for a year until I discovered a gamebreaking issue for me, but that was because i was rather casual and also offline for months.

That's the kind of thing I'd like to have seen in a review anyway, potential gamebreakers. it can be a difficult to determine what a gamebreaker might be, since people have different preferences, but I'd say if a large portion of the subject is afflicted, like if the graphics really look bad on alot of things, the animations allways is poor, then that might be considered a graphical gamebreaker for some.

Or if the PvP is limited so you can only attack 50% of the population on a server, that can be a gamebreaker if there are other games with less restricting options.