Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1st-person playmode an option?

npb007npb007 Member Posts: 2

I have two questions:

1.  Will 1st-person playmode be an option in this game, or are we all supposed to play as HALO-ites?  If it is ONLY 3rd-person, I think this will seriously restrict the number of players who join this game, IMO.  Is there any discussion to adding it in as an option?

2.  We have multiple people in our Clan who have registered, but have not consolidated our referral codes.  Is there a way we can put all of our members under one "Agency" account as you look toward the Beta?

Thanks for your help!  I think your game has some amazing options (persistant worlds and clan fighting), just the FPS thing I believe will seriously restrict who decides to actually pay for the game.

Bomber

Comments

• npb007npb007 Member Posts: 2

*BUMP*

Nobody has any info on these questions?

• deadlywavedeadlywave Member Posts: 2

First person wise, i vote no. I've played GA in alpha a bit, and trust me, 3rd person is much better. Firstly, you get to see your dude, and he/she looks great. More importantly though, you really need the 3rd person viewpoint so that you can understand whats going on. It's very fast paced, lots of action and things happening all around you all the time. First person view would constrict your view of the environment so much, you'd be at a huge disadvantage. Any of the alpha testers will tell you that - someone in FPV would be 5x as easy to take out from the side or behind. There's lots of discussion about it on the GA forums. They might add it, might not. If they do, the majority of people will end up using 3rd person anyway.

As for joining as a group, go over to the GA forums

forum.globalagendagame.com/phpbb/index.php

and get all your guys to join up. Post somewhere about a clan sign up and one of the Hi-Rez members should be able to PM you and sort out having you all listed as a group. They have said that where possible, they like to coordinate the inviting of groups of people to participate so that they can play with their friends, form agencies etc, rather than have a lot of random individuals. If you go there and get that sorted out, you'll have a higher chance of getting in to the upcoming closed beta.

• ZukanZukan Member Posts: 161

In early Alpha they actually had the option of picking First Person or Third Person view. Everyone picked Third Person, so they just dropped First Person. So no, there won't be the option in the future, it's forced Third Person. I don't think that will hinder the game's ability to get players once it's released though. I have a feeling Global Agenda is going to be the next big thing. =]

• nathanebhtnathanebht Member Posts: 34

How does the aiming work in 3rd person? There is no lockon I trust.

• ZukanZukan Member Posts: 161

Yeah the aiming is all you. It's an MMO, but the combat plays like a real FPS (in third person), no random rolling for damage or any crap like that.

• StaticblueStaticblue Member Posts: 49

No reason for them not to. It will only make it harder for you. 3rd > 1st. In 3rd person you can peek around corners, over walls, and have a wider field of view.

• EneldinEneldin Member Posts: 27

To be honest, I have a hard time imagining playing games like Unreal Tourny, TF2, L4D, etc, in 3rd person.  1st person has a certain added value to immersion.  That being said I can see how, with everyone flying around you in jetpacks so fast, a 1st person view would make even the most hardcore FPS player dizzy and confused.

The devs seem to know what they're doing. :)

Originally posted by nathanebht

How does the aiming work in 3rd person? There is no lockon I trust.

Point and shoot. Just like GRAW or Gears of War.

Originally posted by Eneldin

To be honest, I have a hard time imagining playing games like Unreal Tourny, TF2, L4D, etc, in 3rd person.  1st person has a certain added value to immersion.  That being said I can see how, with everyone flying around you in jetpacks so fast, a 1st person view would make even the most hardcore FPS player dizzy and confused.

The devs seem to know what they're doing. :)

Climbing ledges, dodging, and taking cover are the reasons they gave for 3rd person. You have a better awareness of your surroundings in 3rd person. Some weapons will go to first person view (IE snper rifle) when you aim though.

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

Too bad....lack of a 1st person perspective makes this a complete non-starter for me. I won't play an MMO that doesn't offer a 1st Person perspective unless it's designed as an isometric game like UO or Diablo.

I play 1st person perspective in every MMO I've done. I find 3rd person completely disorienting.....and having the character block a portion of my view field is another issue for me. That's pretty much what killed an idea of signing up for TR for me.

Not that I don't understand why many people prefer  3rd person..... it's just that everyones brain functions differently.... and some folks just don't work very well in 3rd person view....despite the advantages it might offer to others.

I think it's a bit of a disappointment for an MMO these days not to offer a choice of perspectives and let the user decide what works best for them (Just like organizing the UI or remapping keyboard controls).

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

I think if GA were going to have that option it should be similar to the way WoW has it. Where if you scroll in all the way you basically obtain first person view. Scrolling out would take it away. Seems easy enough to incorporate to me, and its a win/win. Who knows what they will do. I bet this game will be amazing though.

• RaltarRaltar Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by afropuff420

I think if GA were going to have that option it should be similar to the way WoW has it. Where if you scroll in all the way you basically obtain first person view. Scrolling out would take it away. Seems easy enough to incorporate to me, and its a win/win. Who knows what they will do. I bet this game will be amazing though.

In the FAQ it says:

"Your character jetpacks to rooftops, grapples onto ledges, engages in melee combat, and darts behind cover to evade rocket fire. With this type of gameplay, a third-person camera provides players the best view of their surroundings. In play testing, we found that, given these factors, the third-person view was nearly universally preferred to the first-person perspective once players were familiar with the game."

Which tells me that the game CAN be played in first person perspective (because they apparently tested it that way at some point) but the developers have removed it under the assumption that nobody liked it. Perhaps if enough people continue to bitch and moan about it not being there they would re-enable it as an option.

I should point out though that based on the gameplay videos I have seen, I have to agree that 3rd person perspective is probably going to be a better choice for the majority of the time spent playing this game. Most of all because of the melee combat. If you were in first person perspective for very much of the time you would constantly have annoying recon guys running up behind you to whack at you with swords and other obnoxious objects and you would have no idea where the damage was coming from without having to spin all the way around to look everywhere for it. I know how much I hated that crap in Planetside and BF2142, so I assume it would be pretty annoying here as well.

Well for tactical games like the Battlefield series......ambushing some-one from a location they are not expecting is part of the valid tactics of the game. It's kinda the 1st rule of being a recon/sniper guy..... don't be where the enemy expects you to be.

I find that alot more involving in terms of tactics then "God mode" where you can see what's behind you and the opposite side of walls or other obstructions that would block LOS from your character.

It might be annoying but it's part of the tactics involved in those sorts of games.... it's why checking your 6 occasionaly....and working in teams where you cover each other is important.

Computer shooters do have some issues in terms of allowing for peripherial vision..... but good ones will often but in aids or cues to compensate for it such as directional sounds or damage direction indicators..... without giving away the whole barn by taking you out of your body....and letting you see things that would otherwise be outside your LOS/Field of Vision.... just my personal opinion.

• RaltarRaltar Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by GrumpyMel2

Well for tactical games like the Battlefield series......ambushing some-one from a location they are not expecting is part of the valid tactics of the game. It's kinda the 1st rule of being a recon/sniper guy..... don't be where the enemy expects you to be.
    I find that alot more involving in terms of tactics then "God mode" where you can see what's behind you and the opposite side of walls or other obstructions that would block LOS from your character.
    It might be annoying but it's part of the tactics involved in those sorts of games.... it's why checking your 6 occasionaly....and working in teams where you cover each other is important.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you 100%! I usually prefer first person mode and would much rather see a tactical game where teamwork and strategy are more useful than button mashing skills. It was the whole reason why I was attracted to games like BF2142 and Planetside in the first place.

BUT...

The majority of the melee attacks I saw in BF2142 were FAR from what I would call tactical. Usually they fell into the category of "OMG that guy killed me! Imma get revenge by getting his dog tagz! Kniiiiiiiiife!!!11" followed by some guy making a suicide rush across an open field with nothing but a knife. Usually this tactic failed and I got a chuckle out of it. But on the rare occasaion it worked it was simply obnoxious.

Planetside had similar issues.

Not all melee attacks were that bad. When I saw someone get a knife kill in a situation where it actually made sense I had no complaint with it. But I would say that only 1 out of every 50 or so knife kills I saw seemed legit to me. All the others were either revenge attacks or someone just being an obnoxious ass. And from the gameplay videos of Global Agenda that I've seen so far I suspect we will see quite a bit of this behavior here as well and I'm guessing that is atleast a part of why they choose 3rd person view for this game.

Yeah....I think part of the problem with Battlefield (even though I do love that series) is that movement is a little too quick to be "realistic". If you are more then 10-20 yards away or so....there is no way you should move (even lateraly or evasive) quicker then a guy with an assault rifle who has a bead on you can adjust his aim the fraction of an inch to peg you. Combine that with multiple hits before anything serious happens to you...and you start to get into the "bunny hopping" scenerio...which annoys then heck out of me too.

I think they could do with cutting sprint speed down a bit on that.