Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Harvard Prof Gates Is Half-Irish, Related to Cop Who Arrested Him

PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Arresting relatives is really lame.

abcnews.go.com/Politics/story

Henry Louis Gates Jr., the black professor at the center of the racial story involving his arrest outside his Harvard University-owned house, has spoken proudly of his Irish roots.

Strangely enough, he and the Cambridge, Mass., police officer who arrested him, Sgt. James Crowley, both trace their ancestry back to the legendary Niall of the Nine Hostages.

In a PBS series on African-American ancestry that he hosted in 2008, Gates discovered his Irish roots when he found he was descended from an Irish immigrant and a slave girl.

He went to Trinity College in Dublin to have his DNA analyzed. There he found that he shared 10 of the 11 DNA matches with offspring of Niall of the Nine Hostages, the fourth century warlord who created one of the dominant strains of Irish genealogy because he had so many offspring.

Comments

• Scubie67Scubie67 Member UncommonPosts: 462

Originally posted by Precusor

Arresting relatives is really lame.
    abcnews.go.com/Politics/story
    Henry Louis Gates Jr., the black professor at the center of the racial story involving his arrest outside his Harvard University-owned house, has spoken proudly of his Irish roots.
    Strangely enough, he and the Cambridge, Mass., police officer who arrested him, Sgt. James Crowley, both trace their ancestry back to the legendary Niall of the Nine Hostages.
    In a PBS series on African-American ancestry that he hosted in 2008, Gates discovered his Irish roots when he found he was descended from an Irish immigrant and a slave girl.
    He went to Trinity College in Dublin to have his DNA analyzed. There he found that he shared 10 of the 11 DNA matches with offspring of Niall of the Nine Hostages, the fourth century warlord who created one of the dominant strains of Irish genealogy because he had so many offspring.

Well what do ya know.I guess they will ENJOY those beers after all !  But not too many ,dont want another fight to break out ,Hehe.

Relax,I have Irish in my ancestory too, so I can say these things without guilt.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

Wow I need to have my DNA analyzed. I've always felt a strange connection to Chuck Norris and Ghengis Khan.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!