Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For pete's sake, nobody gives a crap about story...

1141516171820»

Comments

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481
    Originally posted by Netzoko

It blows my mind how out of touch developers are with the MMO base. With literally the biggest IP in the world, their focus is NOT what gamers have hated about mmos for years. No no, they will contiune to shovel the bullshit, but will now have STORY!
    Are you kidding me? The level of absurdity is making my brain swell. People hate classes, they hate levels, they hate watered-down gameplay and grind. Does BioWare plan on address these -universal- complaints? Fuck no, to them the problem with MMOs is story? My mind is utterly blown. From forum to forum across the internet, followers are asking the same basic questions. Whats pvp like? Whats pve like? How are the classes? What is the item system like? Yet over and over, every single dev blog and release is about story. I just can't wrap my head around the unsurpassable amount of ignorance by the dev teams. You would think that seeing the failings of supposed "blockbuster" MMOs like Aoc and WAR would send a message, but no. Alas we continue to be insulted by developers who ignore the -KEY- issues people have with the genre, and instead focus on something utterly worthless.
    Newsflash jackasses, your customers arn't upset with lack of story, they are upset with the cookie cutter MMO template that money grubing bandwagoners like you continue to reiterate and expect to sell.

Explorers, achievers, socializers, player-killers, roleplayers, lorehounds - it takes all sorts to fill out an MMO, and devs need all of them to bring in enough money to keep the ball rolling.

There are plenty of people for whom a good story and immersion are the main reason they play (even if they also have a bit of achiever or explorer instinc - or whatever - too).

Without immersion, you might as well just have a "battle of the spreadsheets" - but everybody's level of immersion, and what triggers it for them, is slightly different.  And indeed, for lots of people (from my experience of meeting fellow players in-game, and hanging around MMO forums), it's the story.

I'm quite confident that BioWare will be able to do amazing things with storyline.  In my mind, I picture a fusion between the methods of MMO storytelling used in LOTRO (in which I think the storytelling is very cleverly done), GW, along with BioWare's own tradition of single-player crpg storytelling.

But even if it just turns out to be a "standard" MMO with a few more interesting dialogue options than usual, it's likely to be a well-made one, and tick all the boxes (at least, we all hope so! :) ).

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

A game without a story sounds kinda lame to me....... Oh what should I do today hmmm lets see Ill just grind away at killing mobs all day. Yay that was fun, I can't wait to do it tomorrow.

• fcazaresfcazares Member Posts: 190

Story is the number one element of a game and too oftne MMO's ignore it. Immersion is what I'm looking for, why else play a game? When I play the game I want to feel like Im in and a million miles away from the troubles of the real world. I think BioWare is going in just the right direction and I am looking forward to playing the game.

• nanovipernanoviper Member UncommonPosts: 64

I agree with Fcarzers, In games like warcraft, it's not that story is ignored, it's that designers are too lazy to make it interesting. In fact in most MMO's I've played story plays a big role, but is ignored due to poor implementation. 

Blizzard uses WOW to harvest hours played into bottles so that the dev team can remain immortal

• vancha801vancha801 Member Posts: 23

i do not like the OP very much ^.^

to me story is important, it doesn't make the game but without it you don't really have a destination in the game

sure you can want the best loot and all the shinny stuff but to me that comes in like 5th - 6th place ...

• webly17webly17 Member Posts: 24

In an MMO, players make the story.

In a singleplayer game, the devs make the story and the players follows it.

The more I read about this game, the more I think of it as a singleplayer game. 

Sandbox gameplay and MMOs are made for eachother.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

I'll be honest, I dont really care about the story.

I favored fantasy when I was really young.  Then I discovered anime and though that was awesome.  Then I gravitated to sci-fi.  Honestly, I dont give a fuck what the story or lore is.  If its a good game, then I will play it.  But, I will never re-play a game to expand it's story once I find the conclusion. 

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190
    Originally posted by webly17

In an MMO, players make the story.
    In a singleplayer game, the devs make the story and the players follows it.
    The more I read about this game, the more I think of it as a singleplayer game. 
    Sandbox gameplay and MMOs are made for eachother.

Except to date only 1 sandbox MMO has had any real sucess (Eve) and the rest have all been festering garbage (SWG in ALL of its iterations).

Hell, the only reason EVE is so popular is becuase it's the ONLY space MMO out there. Wait until Black Prophecy gets through with it.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

I do not think the only reason why EVE is popular is because it's the only space MMO.

Black Prophecy will be an arcade game in comparison to EVE. And I doubt many of the EVE players are looking for that.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Judging by the majority of the responses, I'd say that most do give a crap about story. So what we really have here is another pessimist that looked foolish by trying to speak for everyone.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• GhostworksGhostworks Member Posts: 20

HEY MODERATORS, CLOSE THIS THREAD!

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by ktanner3

Originally posted by sablephoenix

Speak for yourself, OP. The fact that there's going to be story is the reason I'm buying this game after leaving the MMO genre. While the things you mentioned are important, for me, this is a Bioware game and I'm expecting story. GOOD story. I'll pay $15 a month for an evolving story.

So will I . I damn sure won't pay for another game that is buggy,laggy,forces grouping and caters to the people who love grinding and playing house.

lol

And I sure as hell won't pay for KoTOR 3 on a monthly subscription..  I play casually, so why would I want to pay monthly for a game that should be played on the Xbox or PS3 at my own pace.. OMG.. There are many of online console games that don't ask you to pay monthly, so why should TOR be any different.. or is Bioware, really that greedy and desperate.. or are customers really that foolish with money?

• GhostworksGhostworks Member Posts: 20
    Originally posted by Rydeson

Originally posted by ktanner3

Originally posted by sablephoenix

Speak for yourself, OP. The fact that there's going to be story is the reason I'm buying this game after leaving the MMO genre. While the things you mentioned are important, for me, this is a Bioware game and I'm expecting story. GOOD story. I'll pay $15 a month for an evolving story.

So will I . I damn sure won't pay for another game that is buggy,laggy,forces grouping and caters to the people who love grinding and playing house.

lol

And I sure as hell won't pay for KoTOR 3 on a monthly subscription..  I play casually, so why would I want to pay monthly for a game that should be played on the Xbox or PS3 at my own pace.. OMG.. There are many of online console games that don't ask you to pay monthly, so why should TOR be any different.. or is Bioware, really that greedy and desperate.. or are customers really that foolish with money?

1: Not on consoles. PC only.

2: NOT Kotor3, really...

3: Not greedy and desperate. I don't like the idea of paying monthly either, but a simple fact is that when there is a constant revenue flowing in for a game of such massive scope, it ensures (in theory) that the servers will not be laggy, customer support is at your beckon-call and that new content and major updates can be integrated into the game. Think of it as paying for a service.

On that last note, if you pay $60 for the original game, you will probably get your first month free. If you pay $12 a month after that, think of it as extending the life of a game, indefinitely. SOrt of a comic book, or magazine subscription, if you will.