Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can only play as a padawan/apprentice Jedi

13»

Comments

• SeraxesSeraxes Member Posts: 20

The OP is right, the rest is garbage.

(Though he was wrong, we exactly know who was shot by Jango on Geonosis and he was a Jedi Master. Do not forget that Jango is  Mandalorian and Force Sensitive as well.)

There are Heros in STAR WARS who kill jedi easy. If you EVER count them, there are MUCH less, than jedi. The only way to make the game not be another NGE disaster, where STAR WARS fans would call an outrage if BioWare makes Jedi fight Sith most of the time and leave them at least slightly more powerful, than ohter classes. I say slightly, because ie. 5% difference in an MMORPG is a deciding factor in PvP.

BioWare doing a great job so far, their little cinematic trailer exactly shows how the playerbase will look, there will be tonns of Jedi and Sith and ONE Bounty Hunter, and one Smuggler. Troopers don't count, the ones in the cinematic were obviously low level NPC, since the SIth Lord didn't think twice before engaging them and he raped like 7 of them with one saber throw - so they aren't like what BioWare told us.

Talking about millions of jedi means a complete lack of any knowledge in the STAR WARS lore, there were never even hundred thousands in the whole galaxy. So go back to WoW until SWTOR is out, when it comes out the MMO part will be all familiar. WoW with STAR WARS graphics :) Or maybe even better!

Doesn't really matter for the sandbox MMORPG lovers, they wont be satisfied.

• NifaNifa Member Posts: 324
    Originally posted by jusomdude

Originally posted by Nifa

Another thing I thought of is that if you actually wanted to be like a Jedi Master without any in-game stats/powers doing it for you, you'd pretty much have to be a Jedi in real life, to kill like 10 guys at once with equal in game classes.
    I don't know about you guys, but I'm not a Jedi let alone a Jedi Master in real life.(and no, you're not.)
    So, I think that's another good reason why the Jedi class should be more powerful than average, Jo Bob smuggler.

You all seem to be completely forgetting that I said it should come with penalties too, so they don't just go around dominating non-stop.

I'm certainly not a jedi in real life (nor do I intend to play one in the game), but I'd like to point out (once again, apparently) that it took only a few shots from everyday, ordinary clones to kill...well, most of the Jedi Order of the Old Republic in the execution of Order 66.

In real life, an individual with the proper training and skill most certainly can "kill like 10 guys at once."  If I, as a soldier in combat (which I have been) have identical training to my entire squad but happen to be more skilled in marksmanship (I qualified expert every 6 months with every weapon I fired:  M9, M203, M249, 50 cal, grenades, anti-tank - while many of my squadmates were marksmen) or other skills, then yes, it is entirely possible to do...even for a non-jedi.

Or could it be that you're forgetting the fact that at Geonosis, a somewhat large strike force of jedi, including Jedi Masters and Jedi Knights, had its numbers thinned by about 90 percent or so by non-jedi?  If the discussion is going to be about Star Wars canon, it might be wise to review all of the canon before becoming upset about (perceived) gameplay mechanics. ;)

Seeing as how there were many large war machines, advanced weapons, and all those manner of things involved in the battle of geonosis, it is no mystery how many Jedi could have been killed. I don't know if you knew this or just conveniently left it out, but I'd say it is a major fact of the situation.

And, you seem to assume that everyone strolled up and casually blasted every Jedi during Order 66. While the movies did seem to portray that, I think it was just to save time, and to not show battles of Jedi most people don't know or care about.

No sir.  As someone who has often been called "a walking talking Star Wars encyclopedia," I'm fully aware of that as, I suspect, are many of the people viewing this forum.

I am also aware that it is my perception that your belief (based on your posts in this thread) is that a Jedi Master ought to be some kind of god or something like that, and it simply isn't so. 

Excluding the EU, we have three Jedi Masters and two Sith Masters as good examples:  Yoda, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader (a.k.a. Anakin Skywalker), and Emperor Palaptine.  We also have Shaak Ti, Mace Windu, Kit Fisto, Ki-Adi Mundi, Sora Bulq, and a host of others - just from the films themselves, mind you; EU is completely discounted for the sake of discussion here.

Yoda narrowly escaped Palpatine and spent more than 20 years in hiding.  Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker found themselves in many sticky situations and several times, were rescued not by their Force powers, but what many would classify as "pure dumb luck."  Mace Windu was killed by a Jedi Knight.  Obi-Wan Kenobi chose to become one with the Force - frankly, it's questionable (to me, at least) whether he could have won a toe-to-toe duel with Vader at his advanced age as he had twenty years earlier.  Kit Fisto was killed by Palpatine and it was no contest - in fact, there wasn't even a battle.  In fact, at the execution of Order 66 at the Jedi Temple, it was a single jedi (Anakin) accompanying a battalion of clone troopers.  The (non-Force-sensitive) troopers gunned down many Jedi Knights and Masters in addition to the Padawans.  Luminara Unduli, Barriss Offee, Aayla Secura and many others were killed by ordinary clone troopers.  While some were able to defend themselves briefly, the troopers still cut them down like so many dead trees.

If you want to include the EU, there are numerous jedi - Masters and Knights - who ended up in dire need of rescue.  The list is exhaustive but includes the entire Skywalker/Solo family.  If you choose to include the EU, it's wise to also remember that Obi-Wan Kenobi was nearly sent to Agri-Corps (where young people were sent when they didn't quite "measure up") instead of becoming a jedi.

Qui-Gon Jinn Said it best in Episode 1 when discussing his lightsaber with a young Anakin Skywalker:

Qui-Gon: "Perhaps I killed a Jedi and stole it from him."

Anakin: "I don't think so. No one can kill a Jedi."

Qui-Gon: "I wish that were so."

Firebrand Art

"You are obviously confusing a mature rating with actual maturity." -Asherman

Maybe MMO is not your genre, go play Modern Warfare...or something you can be all twitchy...and rank up all night. This is seriously getting tired. -Ranyr

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Another thing I thought of is that if you actually wanted to be like a Jedi Master without any in-game stats/powers doing it for you, you'd pretty much have to be a Jedi in real life, to kill like 10 guys at once with equal in game classes.
    I don't know about you guys, but I'm not a Jedi let alone a Jedi Master in real life.(and no, you're not.)
    So, I think that's another good reason why the Jedi class should be more powerful than average, Jo Bob smuggler.

You all seem to be completely forgetting that I said it should come with penalties too, so they don't just go around dominating non-stop.

I'm certainly not a jedi in real life (nor do I intend to play one in the game), but I'd like to point out (once again, apparently) that it took only a few shots from everyday, ordinary clones to kill...well, most of the Jedi Order of the Old Republic in the execution of Order 66.

In real life, an individual with the proper training and skill most certainly can "kill like 10 guys at once."  If I, as a soldier in combat (which I have been) have identical training to my entire squad but happen to be more skilled in marksmanship (I qualified expert every 6 months with every weapon I fired:  M9, M203, M249, 50 cal, grenades, anti-tank - while many of my squadmates were marksmen) or other skills, then yes, it is entirely possible to do...even for a non-jedi.

Or could it be that you're forgetting the fact that at Geonosis, a somewhat large strike force of jedi, including Jedi Masters and Jedi Knights, had its numbers thinned by about 90 percent or so by non-jedi?  If the discussion is going to be about Star Wars canon, it might be wise to review all of the canon before becoming upset about (perceived) gameplay mechanics. ;)

Seeing as how there were many large war machines, advanced weapons, and all those manner of things involved in the battle of geonosis, it is no mystery how many Jedi could have been killed. I don't know if you knew this or just conveniently left it out, but I'd say it is a major fact of the situation.

And, you seem to assume that everyone strolled up and casually blasted every Jedi during Order 66. While the movies did seem to portray that, I think it was just to save time, and to not show battles of Jedi most people don't know or care about.

No sir.  As someone who has often been called "a walking talking Star Wars encyclopedia," I'm fully aware of that as, I suspect, are many of the people viewing this forum.

I am also aware that it is my perception that your belief (based on your posts in this thread) is that a Jedi Master ought to be some kind of god or something like that, and it simply isn't so. 

Excluding the EU, we have three Jedi Masters and two Sith Masters as good examples:  Yoda, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader (a.k.a. Anakin Skywalker), and Emperor Palaptine.  We also have Shaak Ti, Mace Windu, Kit Fisto, Ki-Adi Mundi, Sora Bulq, and a host of others - just from the films themselves, mind you; EU is completely discounted for the sake of discussion here.

Yoda narrowly escaped Palpatine and spent more than 20 years in hiding.  Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker found themselves in many sticky situations and several times, were rescued not by their Force powers, but what many would classify as "pure dumb luck."  Mace Windu was killed by a Jedi Knight.  Obi-Wan Kenobi chose to become one with the Force - frankly, it's questionable (to me, at least) whether he could have won a toe-to-toe duel with Vader at his advanced age as he had twenty years earlier.  Kit Fisto was killed by Palpatine and it was no contest - in fact, there wasn't even a battle.  In fact, at the execution of Order 66 at the Jedi Temple, it was a single jedi (Anakin) accompanying a battalion of clone troopers.  The (non-Force-sensitive) troopers gunned down many Jedi Knights and Masters in addition to the Padawans.  Luminara Unduli, Barriss Offee, Aayla Secura and many others were killed by ordinary clone troopers.  While some were able to defend themselves briefly, the troopers still cut them down like so many dead trees.

If you want to include the EU, there are numerous jedi - Masters and Knights - who ended up in dire need of rescue.  The list is exhaustive but includes the entire Skywalker/Solo family.  If you choose to include the EU, it's wise to also remember that Obi-Wan Kenobi was nearly sent to Agri-Corps (where young people were sent when they didn't quite "measure up") instead of becoming a jedi.

Qui-Gon Jinn Said it best in Episode 1 when discussing his lightsaber with a young Anakin Skywalker:

Qui-Gon: "Perhaps I killed a Jedi and stole it from him."

Anakin: "I don't think so. No one can kill a Jedi."

Qui-Gon: "I wish that were so."

Alright, with all the information we have, taking it only from film, to me it seems those Jedi that were shown being slaughtered like cattle, were primarily included just to be killed, or made an example out of. Really, they're some pretty fail Jedi if they can't deflect a few blaster bolts, compared to the "Hero" Jedi. They're like those new characters you frequently see in  a TV series, they don't have any big roles, they say a few lines, then they die. I don't think they are a good example of Jedi.

And since the focus of the game is to let players play "hero" characters, I would expect to be as powerful as the likes of, Yoda, Mace, Obi-Wan, etc. Not some moderately powerful Jedi that has a 50/50 or less chance against a non-Jedi/Force Sensative.

A previous poster also brought up a good point. Going just by the films, there were far less elite bounty hunters than Jedi.

Although since they're working outside of canon, they can modify things as they see fit or get approved to, making Jedi a run of the mill, everyday nobody, is one decision I will despise.

I'll play the game and all the classes for their story content, but after that, I just don't know if I can play with their decision to make Jedi just another class.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

This is what I interpret when I hear that all classes are going to be equally balanced. If Bioware even tries to tell me through story that I'm a Jedi Master or something, but I'm equal to all other classes, I'm going to burst out laughing.
    I guess I'm just going to have to take it that I will be playing a padawan with no chance of making Knight and beyond, no matter what they tell me. It would make more sense this way, because then, I could actually believe that other classes stand an equal chance against me.
    Sure, I'll probably get Knight like powers while leveling, but as long as other classes get equally strong powers, it's spit in the face to the whole concept of Jedi. I will in no way, shape, or form, ever believe that pistol totin Joe Bob smuggler even stands a remote chance against even a Jedi Knight, let alone Master, no matter how much elite training or experience they have.

I think there are ways to implement alpha classes if they actually put some effort into balancing them out other ways, such as, long periods of half force power/health after death, or maybe each time you die you lose the ability to use a few powers for each death for a moderate amount of time.
    BTW, before anyone comes in here saying "This isn't SWG!!!" I know that, but it is Star Wars.

To me, having anything but a padawan equal to other classes is the equivalent of taking a family size dook square on top of the Star Wars IP.

wth? No, you won't start as a Jedi Master, and you didn't start as a Jedi Master in ANY of the KOTOR games either, you had to work your way up to it. So what in hell is the problem?

You NEVER start ANY mmo (or frankly any computer game) at the maximum level. It wouldn't be fun if you did.

Get over it.

• bstrippbstripp Member Posts: 241

Alright, so an elite as they come BH took out a Jedi master. So every BH in the game will be like the absolute elite BH?

Welcome to MMOs...

Everyone's a hero, that's both the lure and the problem with the genre.

• HrothmundHrothmund Member Posts: 1,061
    Originally posted by Astralglide

I would like to recommend this discussions to be the nerdiest internet- based dork fight of the month

Correct, a dork fight. Not to be confused with geek or nerd fight, because they would have their facts straight.

• HathiHathi Member Posts: 236

As to the whole point being heroic in this game..

I believe Bioware means by that concept is the one versus many style. You are more likely to feel heroic overcoming odds such as infiltrating a base of enemies, achieving an objective against a host of enemies and/or defeating a larger single enemy. It has also be inferred that the typical raid concept of many players vs one mega boss will not be emphasized. Hard to feel heroic when you are one of an army of players doing repetitive actions to widdle down hit points of a big pixelated boss.

Finally - Best site for Chuck Norris
    http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368
    Originally posted by Hrothmund

Originally posted by Astralglide

I would like to recommend this discussions to be the nerdiest internet- based dork fight of the month

Correct, a dork fight. Not to be confused with geek or nerd fight, because they would have their facts straight.

Astralglide does have a good point.

We need a pious Star Wars moderator here to keep all the unbelievers banned :P

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• VarnstaVarnsta Member Posts: 20

lmao 6 pages. Ace.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

This is what I interpret when I hear that all classes are going to be equally balanced. If Bioware even tries to tell me through story that I'm a Jedi Master or something, but I'm equal to all other classes, I'm going to burst out laughing.
    I guess I'm just going to have to take it that I will be playing a padawan with no chance of making Knight and beyond, no matter what they tell me. It would make more sense this way, because then, I could actually believe that other classes stand an equal chance against me.
    Sure, I'll probably get Knight like powers while leveling, but as long as other classes get equally strong powers, it's spit in the face to the whole concept of Jedi. I will in no way, shape, or form, ever believe that pistol totin Joe Bob smuggler even stands a remote chance against even a Jedi Knight, let alone Master, no matter how much elite training or experience they have.

I think there are ways to implement alpha classes if they actually put some effort into balancing them out other ways, such as, long periods of half force power/health after death, or maybe each time you die you lose the ability to use a few powers for each death for a moderate amount of time.
    BTW, before anyone comes in here saying "This isn't SWG!!!" I know that, but it is Star Wars.

To me, having anything but a padawan equal to other classes is the equivalent of taking a family size dook square on top of the Star Wars IP.

Nope sorry, but you won't be able to pawn everyone in game. That's what single player games are for. For an MMORPG, you have to live with the fact that no one is going to play a class that gets sliced easy as cheese against another. SWG should have taught you that. And yes, I bring SWG up because it too had sever penalties for being jedi and it still didn't stop everyone from going for it. Your idea is no different. Everyone that likes to PVP will go jedi because they know they won't stand a chance playing another class. Creating an alpha class was one of the biggest mistakes SWG did and I hope Bioware doesn't repeat it.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Originally posted by Getalife

Posting on alt accounts to support your own senseless viewpoints is cheating. Don't do that.

There is nothing to detract from the fact that everything I said was and is true.  No amount of Boba or Jango skinfluting is going to change that by you or anyone else.

While I'm sure you would like to think that anyone that disagrees with you and agrees with others is an alt of one of those people, it's simply not true.

If you truly think I'm an alt of someone here, report it and move on with your life.

• BlurrBlurr Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

Think of it this way:

Only a rare percentage of the standard galactic population is force sensitive enough to become Jedi, while just about anyone can be a soldier or smuggler or whatever. Just about any Jedi is possible of heroic feats and epicness, while only a rare percentage of soldiers and smugglers are capable of achieving these heights (Fett, Solo, etc). There just happens to be way more non-jedi types in the universe than there are jedi, thus letting them represent the pinnacle.

The Jedi PCs will represent the average Jedi power level, while the other PCs will represent the absolute cream of the crop of their respective classes. In essence, you used up your "rarity" allowance in attaining force sensitivity. You'll never be Skywalker or Yoda, but they could be Fett or Solo.

"Because it's easier to nitpick something than to be constructive." -roach5000

I quick look at the video that Bioware did of the Mandolorians should educate the un-informed. Jedi were NOT the be all and end all of fighters in the Star Wars Universe.

• ConverseSCConverseSC Member Posts: 572

Alright, with all the information we have, taking it only from film, to me it seems those Jedi that were shown being slaughtered like cattle, were primarily included just to be killed, or made an example out of. Really, they're some pretty fail Jedi if they can't deflect a few blaster bolts, compared to the "Hero" Jedi. They're like those new characters you frequently see in  a TV series, they don't have any big roles, they say a few lines, then they die. I don't think they are a good example of Jedi.
    And since the focus of the game is to let players play "hero" characters, I would expect to be as powerful as the likes of, Yoda, Mace, Obi-Wan, etc. Not some moderately powerful Jedi that has a 50/50 or less chance against a non-Jedi/Force Sensative.
    A previous poster also brought up a good point. Going just by the films, there were far less elite bounty hunters than Jedi.
    Although since they're working outside of canon, they can modify things as they see fit or get approved to, making Jedi a run of the mill, everyday nobody, is one decision I will despise.
    I'll play the game and all the classes for their story content, but after that, I just don't know if I can play with their decision to make Jedi just another class.

Yes, you'll be playing as Obi-Wan, and we'll be playing as Jango.  Completely balanced.

/thread

You just need to accept that you aren't interested in a balanced game, and are therefore not interested in MMOs.  Go find a single-player Jedi-themed game, where you can steamroll over all your enemies.  In terms of an actual MMO, this thread is simply pointless.  

• ConverseSCConverseSC Member Posts: 572
    Originally posted by Nuke1125

Originally posted by Getalife

Posting on alt accounts to support your own senseless viewpoints is cheating. Don't do that.

There is nothing to detract from the fact that everything I said was and is true.  No amount of Boba or Jango skinfluting is going to change that by you or anyone else.

While I'm sure you would like to think that anyone that disagrees with you and agrees with others is an alt of one of those people, it's simply not true.

If you truly think I'm an alt of someone here, report it and move on with your life.

No, what you said was pretty much just silly.  Boba Fett, while not doing anything impressive in the films, is quite an accomplished killer in the EU and is basically regarded as a Jedi-killer by reputation. Of course if you want to ignore the EU, despite this game being a part of it, you must also remember Jango. Jango Fett fought Obi-Wan to a draw, and killed a Jedi Master (and Council Member) in three to four shots off of his hip.  

A universe where no one is challenged is boring, and no one would be interested in this game if it was just Jedi and Sith steamrolling over everything.  There's nothing fun, challenging, or intriguiung about characters who can't be tested in combat.  And frankly, we see more Jedi die in the prequels than any other profession.  A few regular Clones took out their entire Order, and you don't think a highly-trained specialist couldn't?!?  

• HorkathaneHorkathane Member Posts: 380

I will be Darth Maul! Not Indestructible but a serious threat.

Now being Vader? Nope not gonna happen, Omega level character like Obi-wan, Emperor, yoda, Luke. But Darth Maul, Fett, Solo, yea...

Originally posted by ConverseSC

Yes, you'll be playing as Obi-Wan, and we'll be playing as Jango.  Completely balanced.

/thread

You just need to accept that you aren't interested in a balanced game, and are therefore not interested in MMOs.  Go find a single-player Jedi-themed game, where you can steamroll over all your enemies.  In terms of an actual MMO, this thread is simply pointless.  

Well said. What I hated most with the jedi system in SWG was that all you needed was time. Once the path was found out everyone did it and that was when PVP went down the crapper. What chance did you have when packs of jedi started running around overt? It had absolutely nothing to do with skill. The only thing I enjoyed about the NGE was seeing all the smack talking jedi players upset when their "I win" button got  taken away.