Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Timecard?

WhatTheHeoWhatTheHeo Member Posts: 224

I know that Blizzard, Mythic, SOE, & NCsoft have them. Will Square Enix have it aswell? I really want to play this game when its released. Any clues that Square Enix will produce them?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Comments

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

I hope they do, so theres other options besides a CC (more options = more players). However atm its far to early to know the answer to this. Sorry

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• Rogue_LeaderRogue_Leader Member Posts: 119

Companies make less money from a player using timecards.  (It's the same cost per block of playtime but they have to share a cut with the retailer, pay for the card to be made, etc.)  So for Squenix it will be a cost/benefit question.  Will having timecards bring in more players than the cost of supporting their production and use?  It's possible they'll do timecards in some markets but not others based on the number of players. 

• ErhunErhun Member Posts: 170

I don't understand why people prefer to use timecards. If it is security reasons then there is many options out there for you to not really have to worry about losing information. If it is because you don't have a credit card, well neither do I, but I do have a debit card.

Could someone explain as to why they use timecards?

• Rogue_LeaderRogue_Leader Member Posts: 119

Some people can't get credit or debit cards for various reasons.  Many gamers aren't old enough or don't make enough money (which matters to credit card companies now.)

• ic0n67ic0n67 Member Posts: 776
    Originally posted by Rogue_Leader

Some people can't get credit or debit cards for various reasons.  Many gamers aren't old enough or don't make enough money (which matters to credit card companies now.)

Gamers that are not old enough are depending on mommy and daddy anyway >.>

• shokeroshokero Member Posts: 41

Some people just want to pay it up front, and not wait for a bill to come at the end of the month.

Cast In The Name Of God, Ye Not Guilty

Originally posted by shokero

Some people just want to pay it up front, and not wait for a bill to come at the end of the month.

You do pay for it up front though. When it pulls money off your card it is pulling it out for the coming month, but I do see what you are getting to kind of.

If they are not old enough to get a debit card (I got my first one at the age of 14) then they probably should not be playing online games... imo.

• NeosaiNeosai Member Posts: 401

Judging by cyber culture between Asia and NA.  It is not very likely SE will adapt the time card model here, but I could be wrong.

Asia have a huge amount of internet(cyber) cafe that caters to MMORPG gamers with T1-T3 connections, newer model computers, and some even have a restaurants and juice bar.  Time card models work well because of that. Cyber cafe is not as popular here than it is there.  Some of the more hardcore gamer basically lives there most times.

Most of us in NA mostly plays in home or sometimes (god forbid) at work.  Adapting time card is a bit hard to decide here.  However, I think more and more people are start to demand time card since monthly fee just doesn't quite work for some players that doesn't have alot of time to play per month.

We'll have to see though  SE should be pretty confident that FFXIV will be at least well received by FFXI player base.

• xS0u1zxxS0u1zx Member Posts: 209

Well time cards are definitely more convienient for many people.   Especially those who are far to paranoid to use any bank or personal information online.

Secondly, time cards are great for cheaters.     How so you ask, well it's simple  "Buy a time card, sell for in game currency"   Wouldn't you just love to play the game for free?

Oh another thing, they make great gifts with no drawback for the consumer.     So that definitely pulls in more subs, and very few parents these days are willing to fork out their CC information so their kiddy can play shit online.   

Originally posted by xS0u1zx

and very few parents these days are willing to fork out their CC information so their kiddy can play shit online.   

Maybe their kids shouldn't be online to begin with?

• NeosaiNeosai Member Posts: 401
    Originally posted by Erhun

and very few parents these days are willing to fork out their CC information so their kiddy can play shit online.   

A little late now.  If only someone said that when the the MMORPG industry started.

I wouldn't let me kids play online if I have any.  If they are anything like me, they might become online predators.  No, not the cool kind of predator.

• shokeroshokero Member Posts: 41

Not that I don't mind playing with kids on mmo's. Some of them are really skilled. But if you wanna classify it that way then, Id rather play with a 12 year old on a mmo then some 40 year old dude. Srry for any of you that are 40+ >:D

Cast In The Name Of God, Ye Not Guilty

• Stilla119Stilla119 Member Posts: 15

I support a system where a player shouldn't have to pay for a month of content when they only played for 12 hours. They should implement a system where a player pays for the time they spent in the game and caps to the monthly subscription of $12.00.

Example:

If you played 6 hours a day for a month, you played for +/- 168 hours, you pay $12.00.

If you played for 126 hours for the month, (3 weeks @ 6 hours a day) you should pay $9 bucks.

If you played for 84 hours for the month, (2 weeks @ 6 hours a day) you should pay $6 bucks.

If you played for 42 hours for the month, (1 week @ 6 hours a day) you should pay $3 bucks.

If you played for 1,000 hours for the month you only pay $12.00, or:

to give gil sellers something to worry about, 300 hours should pay $50.00 a month. 8D

to give players a chance to claim they need to get a life, anyone over 300 hours should pay $50.00

Not saying these numbers should be the correct values, just showing an association to hours played per dollar value.

• Eagler777Eagler777 Member Posts: 89

Ok, got to disagree with you again here Stilla.. how about this for example. Many many many, well most of the times, when I was done for the night, I would set up a bazaar to sell items and stuff.. and I'll even admit that a few times I was so tired from work that I accidently fell asleep playing... and you think we should be charged  money for that? >.>

Originally posted by Eagler777

Ok, got to disagree with you again here Stilla.. how about this for example. Many many many, well most of the times, when I was done for the night, I would set up a bazaar to sell items and stuff.. and I'll even admit that a few times I was so tired from work that I accidently fell asleep playing... and you think we should be charged  money for that? >.>

LOL you said, "got to disagree with you again," I just made an account on the 22nd and I already have a post stalker. 8D

Anyways charging $50.00 was more a joke, they shouldn't charge more than a the monthly subscription. I am just saying that if you have kids and you only got 4 hours of game play in this month, you shouldn't get charged for the full value of the subscription.

• linrenlinren Member Posts: 578
    Originally posted by shokero

Not that I don't mind playing with kids on mmo's. Some of them are really skilled. But if you wanna classify it that way then, Id rather play with a 12 year old on a mmo then some 40 year old dude. Srry for any of you that are 40+ >:D

I agree, some kids are very skilled, if they are mature enough to play the game instead of being controlled by hormones. 

I am 26, apparently only 14 more years to go till I am replaced by a 12 year old.   

• Eagler777Eagler777 Member Posts: 89
    Originally posted by Stilla119

LOL you said, "got to disagree with you again," I just made an account on the 22nd and I already have a post stalker. 8D

Anyways charging $50.00 was more a joke, they shouldn't charge more than a the monthly subscription. I am just saying that if you have kids and you only got 4 hours of game play in this month, you shouldn't get charged for the full value of the subscription.

Umm.. yes because saying "got to disagree with you again" makes someone a stalker.  Anyway, get over yourself and concentrate on FFXIV, and you'll be alright. 

About your time thing, whats the big deal.. your talking about a whole whopping 12 dollars a month my god.  Maybe that is something you should consider yourself before you enter a game.. if its not going to be worth it to you, then dont play that game.  I'm in no way what anyone would call rich, but I cant afford 12 meisly dollars a month sheesh.  Besides, there are many benefits to us, the players  having a monthly fee.  As a matter of fact, I made a post somewhere else on the site that I would be happy to pay even more, if it was to go toward something beneficial such as stopping botters and such.

Umm.. yes because saying "got to disagree with you again" makes someone a stalker.  Anyway, get over yourself and concentrate on FFXIV, and you'll be alright. 

About your time thing, whats the big deal.. your talking about a whole whopping 12 dollars a month my god.  Maybe that is something you should consider yourself before you enter a game.. if its not going to be worth it to you, then dont play that game.  I'm in no way what anyone would call rich, but I cant afford 12 meisly dollars a month sheesh.  Besides, there are many benefits to us, the players  having a monthly fee.  As a matter of fact, I made a post somewhere else on the site that I would be happy to pay even more, if it was to go toward something beneficial such as stopping botters and such.

I am slowly loosing intrest in FFXIV.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

I am slowly loosing intrest in FFXIV.

Well GL and goodbye.

I dont know how anyone could loose intrest in a game where nothing is known, but oh well, it doesnt matter.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• GameslaveGameslave Member Posts: 130

Perhaps because of the extra cost of timecards, as mentioned by a previous poster, I don't think Square-Enix will be using this method. But I DO remember reading from an official source / interview is that they ARE considering block-payments, as they are quite successful with other games.

What I don't understand even now is why for none of these games can you simply have different payment options AFTER your free trial, for one month, three months, six months, a year, and indefinitely. Either pay all at once, upfront, no refunds, no fuss - or enter your CC information with the option in a little checkbox to charge monthly indefinitely.

Also... don't delete my character for not paying / being active in a couple months. Shit happens. I shouldn't have to reactivate him for the price of ANOTHER content ID. That alone almost made me switch permanently to WoW. I should just have to pay my balance and get back in the game. tyvm.

Abraxas [365]