Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game Survivability?

JoanahoJoanaho Member Posts: 16
I have been playing the game for just over 20 days. I came onboard with the recent 14 day trial that was offered here and really like the game thus far. My question is, Do any of you who have been with the game for 1 year + think it will survive for some time to come, or is this game on it's way to dieing similar to what happened with Earth and Beyond?

Joanaho Bagussatu
Gnomish Tinkerer-Explorer Extraordinaire

Joanaho Bagussatu
Solitus Omni Fixer

Comments

• Torment1982Torment1982 Member Posts: 156
    The number of players keeps going up although slowly.  I tried out the 14 day trial and ended up buying to play another month before I cancelled.  The game ended up not appealing to me, but I met alot of people who had been playing for 6 months to a year.  Those people who like eve tend to really like it, and I don't think it is going anywhere soon.  Vendetta online is so different from EVE that it won't really be a competition there, and with the release of Shiva the new free expansion I think they'll keep their customers happy for quite awhile.  If anything the death of E&B will have increased the populations to EVE and Vendetta, although E&B players will probably prefer Vendetta's play style even if THAT didn't appeal to me either.

• Demian_SkyDemian_Sky Member Posts: 21

That's a very good question, actually.  I think Eve will survive quite nicely, though.  After all, EVE is so wildly different than any other MMORPG that you will ever play that there will always be a niche for it.  It may look like Earth and Beyond or Vendetta, but nothing comes close to EVE's concept.  This game was created because 2 guys had a vision 10 years ago--- not a bunch of corporate croonies sitting in a circle, trying to figure out how they'd milk the customers for all they are worth--- and for this reason, EVE will be alive for quite some time.  I think EVE will be around for a healthy long time.

• Torment1982Torment1982 Member Posts: 156
    Actually the only similarities the games really have is that they are set in space.  Vendetta is trying to be the first twitch MMOG for space sims, E&B was a wide variety of things but mostly it was just like any other MMOG just in a spaceship.  But EVE is quite unique, shard-less, massive economic model and severely tactical for combat, it definetely offers alot that other games fall short on.  I think the thing that bothered me most about the game was training time, I didn't like being force to play at a pace set by somone else, however that works well for the people who enjoy managing the time blocks required to train up the new skills, and the community was pretty good, not having been around long enough to get ganked by the player pirates.  EVE might be a MMOG, but on play style and game design it is practically a different genre compared to what else is on the market.

• ZipehZipeh Member Posts: 265

including the beta i have been playing for 2 years now, and i can safely say that Eve will be around for quite a while yet.  The Shiva expansion (free) will keep Eve going for 6 months to a year by which time the next free expansion will be released.  CCP should be able to keep these content / build updates coming to keep the old hands still playing.   As for gameplay itself, even without the updates alot of people would have kept playing, the never ending territorial, pirate, alliance, and corporate wars provide all the  content and excitement one could want.  Keeping these wars going keeps all the miners, researchers, production and poltical people busy, and trying to keep these positions filled keeps the recruiting and HR people busy.

Eve is not going the way of EnB thats for sure.

• JoanahoJoanaho Member Posts: 16
    Thank's all for the excellent responses. I really like this game and plan on staying onboard for quite some time to come.

Joanaho Bagussatu

Joanaho Bagussatu
    Solitus Omni Fixer

• LoonieLoonie Member Posts: 1

I've been playing EVE for 2 years now including Beta :)

Plus with Shiva coming along, I will be playing for probably another 2 years.. heheee

• NaosNaos Member Posts: 379

Playing EVE for 2 years now including Beta I think, no other game has kept me playing this long period.

EVE has had a lot of love put into it by the Devs and it shows as does the fact they are gamers and have full rights and ownership of the game and can take it where they like, no money hungry megacorp can compete with that.

There is so much to do so much space new content on the way its impossible to do it all and EVE has a great community with its own radio stations....comics.....fan sites.....news sites.... and more on they way.

I dont see an end anywhere on the horizon for a very long time if ever, in fact sometimes I can almost hear myself saying to my grandkids "back in my day EVE was a game I played on a PC.... and a PC was a......"

• SkarsnikSkarsnik Member Posts: 9

Yep same here as most others that have responded - I was in from Beta 3 and have had a retail account since day 1. so around 2 to 2.5years worth ::::01::

It has me fixated and compelled to keep going, with SHIVA this will only get worse, CCP have the best community I know of in the MMO genres and I've played a lot.. cant quiet see it dying the way Earth and Beyond did - I mean EA aint a patch on CCP

• JhughesyJhughesy Member Posts: 419
    Eve has a long way to go yet. The game world is constantly evolving and changing due to new content, game engine changes and a dynamic player community.

• ZdragvaZdragva Member Posts: 4
    Thing about Eve imo is that it ever starts struggeling then the players and the Devs will battle long and hard to keep it going, not for money, but to keep being able to play this game. As long as the core of the game stays the same, players running all aspects of their own virtual lives, then i dont see how the majority of its fans (about ALL the players) will ever want to stop playing. When i first came across this game i was simply overawed by it. I loaded it up and I was in a ship in space, alone yeah, but those first few hours were like nothing i had ever experianced before in a game. I remember sitting awe struck mining an asteriod in a vast belt, utterly amazed at the fact i was in space. Eve is a rare thing in the gaming world. im not a fan of the nicest looking, most fancy games, iv always played games with a lot of thought in them that require a lot of thought back, and that fascinate me or excite me, games like ALpha Centauri are games i play over and over, and Eve is the top you will get when it comes to thought provoking, serious, deep and intelligent gaming. An absolute gem that will be sorely missed should it ever end.

• SkarsnikSkarsnik Member Posts: 9

Have to say this game is awesome - I was put onto this game at late beta and haven't looked back ::::14::

Top say this is a Hugh game is an understatment, there are a LOT of old timers returning, and many just like me been around since day 1 of release and dont intend on leaving.

The dev's care about the game for certain - It kinda makes you feel a little special when you actually geta reply form a Dev in your forum posts thats constructive and helpful. They do listen to the community, but also have a 'Bigger Picture' they are aiming at. For instance SHIVA (Sorry : Exodus) hasn't been deployed and they are already alpha testing the next BIG update for next year..

This will be around for a long time to come

I ::::08:: to CCP for thier insight to building this marvel.

• LongshotLongshot Member UncommonPosts: 8

I would have to agree.

Old tiimer hewre been in since first beta stopped for a bit to play other online games back game back quite quickly.

The game has all i need and want in a game and I am in a good corp which makes a big difference and is better than any other guild in any other game.

• HardinHardin Member Posts: 70

Yep been playing about 18 months now and the player numbers keep going up bit by bit...

The Shiva/Exodus expansion will add a whole new level to the game and some of the stuff they have planned for Kali (planetary flight for instance) is sure to extends its longevity...

My main problem is that I am missing out on other great games coz EVE still has me hooked... 

PIE: Defenders of the Amarr Empire:

www.pie-online.co.uk

PIE: An online gaming community:

www.pieinc.co.uk

Amarr Victor

• AlkatrazAlkatraz Member Posts: 119

Originally posted by Hardin

My main problem is that I am missing out on other great games coz EVE still has me hooked... 

Yep.....that's my problem too.....

• r1tualr1tual Member Posts: 559

Eve will definatly be going strong in another year,  or even 2.

When Eve started the population was about 1500-2000 players online.

6 months it was 3500-4000.

10 months it was 5000-7000

Now it is about 10000.

It has been growing slowly but surely.  I think we will see 20k active players everyday in the next 10 months.

There just aint any other games that appeal to us smart people (Eve players).  The rest of the MMO world is weak.

• thursdaythursday Member Posts: 24

I see no reason for Eve to close even in 2 years time.  As far as I can remember CCP have said that they already have the playerbase to break even.

One great advantage that Eve has for keeping older players is the skill training system; however, I can now see that this is also a hurdle for newer players.  I begun a 2nd character a few months ago and have spent 2 of those months just training learning skills to ensure that the longer skills (BS lvl5 took my main over a monthimage) aren't a hurdle I don't feel like jumping over.

Anyway, I am a bit annoyed atm as I am stuck in a station with a bunch of isotopes and probes with rates at one gate and a corp we are at war with at the other.

• CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

hehe being stuck at a station between a rock and hard place ... isnt that part of the charm really. I'm in a similar situation. I've been playing for 2 months now. I just really got the hang of fighting and my corp joined a big alliance. Needless to say now i'm in the middle of a big war and i have about 5% of the skills i need to fight all you guys with 2 years training. So i'm pretty much stuck in a station learning skills, but then just think if we had to grind for skills lol that would suck. To me this is a fairly realistic aspect of the game and although it keeps me from playing atm in the long run when i get my skills and have a bad ass ship i'm going to enjoy killing those pirate scum! Another great thing is that theres rewards for the hardcore player but no real penalty for the casual player. Eve is a fantastic game and has a great future. Play it , love it and be thankful you found a company that cares.

Originally posted by Copeland

hehe being stuck at a station between a rock and hard place ... isnt that part of the charm really. I'm in a similar situation. I've been playing for 2 months now. I just really got the hang of fighting and my corp joined a big alliance. Needless to say now i'm in the middle of a big war and i have about 5% of the skills i need to fight all you guys with 2 years training. So i'm pretty much stuck in a station learning skills, but then just think if we had to grind for skills lol that would suck. To me this is a fairly realistic aspect of the game and although it keeps me from playing atm in the long run when i get my skills and have a bad ass ship i'm going to enjoy killing those pirate scum! Another great thing is that theres rewards for the hardcore player but no real penalty for the casual player. Eve is a fantastic game and has a great future. Play it , love it and be thankful you found a company that cares.

Don't stay in the station just because u can't fly a bs..use a frigate and don't be afraid of dieing

U won't learn how to pvp by reading the boards.....try different tactics and don't be affraid to do mistakes...we all did and still doing them...it's the only way to learn.

Have fun!

• potapithikospotapithikos Member Posts: 178

This game has been steadily increasing in subscribers for the past 6 months.

It still has a looong way to go.

• PuoltryPuoltry Member Posts: 956

Nah its a unique game in a genre FULL of mediocrity.Id say this one has a long way to go before EVE:The new age.(that is the sequel.)

Want to ENJOY an mmo?

Dont start a guild and dont be a leader or volunteer to be coleader or captain.

Just play the damn game:)

• fizzle32fizzle32 Member Posts: 171

Just the opposite, I think Eve has a VERY long life ahead of it.

The dev team is young and small, but they are constantly working and connecting with the players to improve it. I think the game right now is totally grief PvP oriented, which I think discourages the game from going "main stream." Over the past couple of years they have chipped away at the griefing, making piracy more difficult in lowsec, even so there are still too many ppl squished into highsec.

Well guess what, if most of the players are squished into high sec, then obviously you have a sizeable carebear community. I don't know anybody who isn't at least a part-time carebear, you can only take so many losses before you have to recuperate. Even the most hard-core alliance types have newbie-corp alts to mine in high sec, to be able to afford to play.

But my argument is why should you have to do anything with an alt? The game should be playable with a single-character and NO alts. I shouldn't NEED a pvp alt and a carebear alt. I shouldn't have to have 1 alt out of my corp just so I can mine in peace without ppl from corp wars bothering me.

Everybody comes to high sec for the same reason, to recuperate and replace their losses through mining, but the way wars are setup, it makes recuperation impossible without a newbie-alt. People can literally drive you out of the game. Not out of the sector or out of alliance territory, but literally OUT OF THE GAME.

How many mining or industry corps out there complain about getting declared by pirate corps and then constantly being harassed in empire? Those ppl are carebears, they don't want PvP, but they have grief PvP shoved down their throats. Do you think those ppl will stay in the game? Of course not, so you lose those customers, and they tell their friends, and word spreads, and pretty soon you have what Eve is now.

There is NO room for carebears, or even softcore PvPers due to corp wars. The only option is to never join a corp, which defeats the whole purpose of a multiplayer game.

I think in a couple of years this game will mature and become something edible to a diverse fanbase.

Right now its a niche game only for super-hardcore PvPers. Not even regular pvp'ers but a certain breed of type A personalities that THRIVE on interpersonal conflict and hatred.

Originally posted by fizzle32

Right now its a niche game only for super-hardcore PvPers. Not even regular pvp'ers but a certain breed of type A personalities that THRIVE on interpersonal conflict and hatred.

I don't hate any1 m8, as i know that Hardin won't hate me for been a minmatarian.

Hate is for kids and usualy hate will be your downfall in a fight if u call the targets based on ur "friendships".

In EVE there is no hate, at least among the good pvp-ers, it only exists from a rolle playing point of view.

Love ya......image

• SaddlefallSaddlefall Member Posts: 3

I've played for over 3 weeks, and its still great fun :)

• StaleBagelStaleBagel Member Posts: 19

IMHO EvE will carry on for an indefinite amount of time, the way it is built allows for almost infinte expansion, and the player base continues to rise. all I can really say is imageimage two thumbs up CCP outstanding service, game, and good time.

=out=

"I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by"

"I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by"

• hollbeckhollbeck Member UncommonPosts: 2

Ive played Eve since June 04, started off on the 14 day free trial, and thoroughly enjoyed it.    But WHAM!!!!, along came the Exodus patch, and Im so fed up with it now.

TBH, I think the Exodus patch has spoilt Eve.  I so much prefered it the way it was.  I know that the game has suffered some issues since patch day, but I think that this will have an impact on current subscribers.  My account expires in January, and Im sorry to say I wont be returning.  A shame really.  Had some good skills goin there too.

Holls