Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

?'s from a non beta player

TeranHawkinsTeranHawkins Member Posts: 279

Seeing some of the items here on mmorpg.com has me gaining a little more interest in this game.  However, two things bother me with it from what I've seen of video's listed on this site and beta videos on youtube. 

1. The scenery/atmosphere.  I like the green forest type zones or wintery type zones and the only ones I've seen are the starting area which looks to be around levels 1-10.  I'm not a big fan of the ugly, broken landscape type environments like "Shadowmoon valley" for instance in WoW and I've noticed quite a bit of those type of landscapes in videos.  Is the normal "Earth like" type landscapes also in later levels or just that beginning area as I've not seen them. 

2. I can't tell who's who in the videos.  Players and npc's look the same by the name bars overhead.  It seemed a bit hard to discern.  I watched a video on youtube were a sorcerer was attacking 3 mobs and was at 1/2 health and someone started healing him and saved him and I didn't know who was healing him until all the mobs were dead!

I don't want to pre order this game just to try the beta as I've grown tired of buying games and playing them for the free month to find I didn't like them...yes I'm looking at you WAR and AOC!!!

Thanks for the input!

Comments

• linrenlinren Member Posts: 578
    Originally posted by TeranHawkins

Seeing some of the items here on mmorpg.com has me gaining a little more interest in this game.  However, two things bother me with it from what I've seen of video's listed on this site and beta videos on youtube. 
    1. The scenery/atmosphere.  I like the green forest type zones or wintery type zones and the only ones I've seen are the starting area which looks to be around levels 1-10.  I'm not a big fan of the ugly, broken landscape type environments like "Shadowmoon valley" for instance in WoW and I've noticed quite a bit of those type of landscapes in videos.  Is the normal "Earth like" type landscapes also in later levels or just that beginning area as I've not seen them. 
    2. I can't tell who's who in the videos.  Players and npc's look the same by the name bars overhead.  It seemed a bit hard to discern.  I watched a video on youtube were a sorcerer was attacking 3 mobs and was at 1/2 health and someone started healing him and saved him and I didn't know who was healing him until all the mobs were dead!
    I don't want to pre order this game just to try the beta as I've grown tired of buying games and playing them for the free month to find I didn't like them...yes I'm looking at you WAR and AOC!!!
    Thanks for the input!

Answers:

1.  If you choose Elyos you will see more green and lush landscape, Asmodian territory are focused on being barren and desolate which people struggle for survival.  However even in Elyo areas there are times there are parts that are not as asthetically pleasing, but that is because it is part of the story/quest.

2.  Video always have the issue of being hard to identify who is who especially if you haven't played the game.  While playing, it is easy to identify between player and NPC, unless your eye sight is terrible. 

Overall, Aion is a solid game, but I cannot honestly tell you if you will like it or not.  I like to say give it a try, but no free trail are offered since the game is not even lauched yet.

• TeranHawkinsTeranHawkins Member Posts: 279

Hehe that IS true about crappy video quality of youtube....

• FastTxFastTx Member UncommonPosts: 756

Problem is thats part of the story of Aion. The world has been through a cataclysm, how much lush green nature do you expect? As you reach the level 20 zone one of the first quests you'll see a video clip of is a "march of the ents" type of video where trees are retreating from the desert. The Abyss is mainly just rock formations from the remnants of the destruction of the world. The world's on both poles are dying from the aftereffects. While there are plenty of lush and great atmospheres in Aion, most of it seems to take place in rocky terrain devoid of life.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Originally posted by TeranHawkins

Thanks for the input!

The clarity of name tags is on par with the name tags in WoW. Which means it is pretty easy to tell who is who even in combat. This is from someone with first hand experience up to lvl 25 on both sides.

Also I believe you can change the size of the name tags. You can also toggle the visibility of your own name tag which as default is set on "ON" which to my understanding a lot of people will turn off when they find out how.

• TeranHawkinsTeranHawkins Member Posts: 279

Thanks for the replies all...appreciate it!

• LilPhuckerLilPhucker Member Posts: 10

Just slap down 5 bucks for the preorder, get your beta key and check it your yourself. If you don't like the game just don't go and pick it up when it is released. you will be out 5 bucks.

There are videos posted of all the zones, check them out. But I'll say this, the abyss is a desolate place from what you say I bet you won't like it. But then again not every place can have pretty flowers and little bunnies hopping around.

Originally posted by LilPhucker

Just slap down 5 bucks for the preorder, get your beta key and check it your yourself. If you don't like the game just don't go and pick it up when it is released. you will be out 5 bucks.
    There are videos posted of all the zones, check them out. But I'll say this, the abyss is a desolate place from what you say I bet you won't like it. But then again not every place can have pretty flowers and little bunnies hopping around.

In the Abyss you will be too busy being chased or chasing people in PvP to care about what it looks like.  Even most of the time you will want to spend it watching your surrounding for an incoming Elyo/Asmodian depend on which side you pick.

The Abyss is not exactly a place for sight seeing anyways, so I doubt the OP will have the time to take in the view at his leisure.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

This is a blog from a wow player (I don't know this guy so take what he say's with a grain of salt).  Posting it to give you another point of view: wowriot.gameriot.com/blogs/Ugly-Gnome/Aion-Why-you-should-and-shouldnt-play

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Originally posted by linren

In the Abyss you will be too busy being chased or chasing people in PvP to care about what it looks like.  Even most of the time you will want to spend it watching your surrounding for an incoming Elyo/Asmodian depend on which side you pick.

The Abyss is not exactly a place for sight seeing anyways, so I doubt the OP will have the time to take in the view at his leisure.

I chuckle at you people who seem to think the abyss is one pvp fight after another. Truth is, once you realize the penalties for a pvp loss you will be avoiding pvp at all costs unless its a sure thing. Keep dreaming boys and girls.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

I chuckle at you people who seem to think the abyss is one pvp fight after another. Truth is, once you realize the penalties for a pvp loss you will be avoiding pvp at all costs unless its a sure thing. Keep dreaming boys and girls.

Your facts are a little off there my friend,  AP loss due to pvp dieing depends on your rank.  What you state only effects only 1% of the population per server (the highest rankers).  Because you will be going up and down in rank because you will be spending AP on armor and weapons this comment you made has no bearing to what really happens in the game for the rest of the 99% of the population.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Coming from a person that probably didn't look up the info or played it.

No one said its one PvP fight after another, but it is not wrong that you will run into enemies quite a bit.  Way to blow things out of proportion.  I was talking about the taking in the view in the Abyss while making a small joke.  Also, the way the system scales how much Abyss point you lose is not calculated simply based on win lose.  A sure ganking, let's assume someone is 10 levels under you, the person you kill lose nothing because you are too high above them. (You also gain nothing)  Except wasted time I suppose.

If someone is aware of their surrounding and try to keep alert, they can still fight back when the level are close. There are no such thing as a sure ganking, at least not ones that are beneficial enough to the ganker.  If you want to bash the game, do it somewhere that actually have a point you can make.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

There is an open beta coming after the next closed beta event. Just try it then.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Coming from a person that probably didn't look up the info or played it.

No one said its one PvP fight after another, but it is not wrong that you will run into enemies quite a bit.  Way to blow things out of proportion.  I was talking about the taking in the view in the Abyss while making a small joke.  Also, the way the system scales how much Abyss point you lose is not calculated simply based on win lose.  A sure ganking, let's assume someone is 10 levels under you, the person you kill lose nothing because you are too high above them. (You also gain nothing)  Except wasted time I suppose.

If someone is aware of their surrounding and try to keep alert, they can still fight back when the level are close. There are no such thing as a sure ganking, at least not ones that are beneficial enough to the ganker.  If you want to bash the game, do it somewhere that actually have a point you can make.

Dreamers, wait till you get a lvl 50 like i have on the Cn server and see what it is really like. you are currently living in a fantasy world with your perceptions. The only people who have nothing to lose are the ones who have just stepped into the abyss for the first time. I assure you that within a week you will be hanging back to evaluate players with one finger on the "flee for your life" button before you blindly engauge in pvp.

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

Truth is once people figure out they can make plenty of AP from PvE alone they will avoid the Abyss till end game as a rule.  And now that we know the best armour in the game drops from a PvE instance there  is no incentive to go in the Abyss much at all till one is fully maxed.

Originally posted by avalon1000

Truth is once people figure out they can make plenty of AP from PvE alone they will avoid the Abyss till end game as a rule.  And now that we know the best armour in the game drops from a PvE instance there  is no incentive to go in the Abyss much at all till one is fully maxed.

Yeah, I think that is the problem with the new patch update...  I'd like to do Abyss conflicts since I read up on it long ago and find it very fun even when the risk gets high.  I'd want to do some extensive Abyss content, well not the way LilPhucker do it obviously.

I got plenty of info from Korea and China players that I am pretty well prepared for a long haul in the Abyss.  The only issue is if NCsoft is going to turn the Abyss into a dead zone by giving too much AP to PvE contents.

Dreamers, wait till you get a lvl 50 like i have on the Cn server and see what it is really like. you are currently living in a fantasy world with your perceptions. The only people who have nothing to lose are the ones who have just stepped into the abyss for the first time. I assure you that within a week you will be hanging back to evaluate players with one finger on the "flee for your life" button before you blindly engauge in pvp.

Do you speak Chinese or do you simply use English patch to play the game is my first question?  I ask this is because your play style seem to be solo ganker and run when the enemy group comes.  Well I would too if I was out numbered.  The difference is if I played on the Chinese server I would have no problem joining a Legion.  I am fluent in Chinese, well mainly because I am Chinese.  There's safety in numbers is a pretty widely accepted idea in the Abyss, plus small group PvP is also another fun aspect of the game.  (This is all assuming you did not lie about the level 50 character in CN Aion)

Why are you telling me stuff I already know about Abyss ranking and the risk involved at high level?  I am already prepared for it for the long haul.  (Information I asked straight from Korean and Chinese lvl 50 PvP players of Aion no less)

I think it is pretty standard practice to evaluate your enemy and get ready to run if the situation is bad.  Again, why are you telling me things I already know?

When did I say there are nothing to lose at high level on this thread?

Simply put, I have been prepared to face the Abyss content.  Assuming NCsoft's PvE content for AP update does not destroy the Abyss, then all this was an non issue to begin with.