Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about 64 bit OS

VillynVillyn Member Posts: 75

Im still on xp and building a machine. How does Vista 64 bit run games. Are there any issues i should know b4 buying?

thx for any input

Comments

• TykeroTykero Member Posts: 349

Zero reason to go with anything but a 64-bit OS with a self-built computer these days.

You won't really run into any issues.

Edit: Aside from making sure to install your games in a folder other than Program Files (due to security restrictions placed upon that folder by Vista, which can conflict with some games) there's nothing really to worry about. Something like C:Games works.

-

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Originally posted by Tykero
    Zero reason to go with anything but a 64-bit OS with a self-built computer these days.

You won't really run into any issues.

Edit: Aside from making sure to install your games in a folder other than Program Files (due to security restrictions placed upon that folder by Vista, which can conflict with some games) there's nothing really to worry about. Something like C:Games works.

They seem to have that worked out now, my buddy has all his stuff installed to default location (Program Files) and has no probs but I remember it being a big pain when Vista first came out.. my games aren't even on the same drive though so I dunno.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

From my experience, 64bit behaves a lot better than 32bit, as far as Vista and beyond is concerned. Besides, you'll be gimping yourself memory wise if you choose the 32bit version.

• RaizeenRaizeen Member Posts: 622

ive had 64 bits for half a year now and the only games ive ever had problem with are the extremely old games from win 95 like red alert 1 and the old star wars games the people who say it sucks and nothing works on it dont know jack shit you should get 64 over 32 and the same goes with any program ive downloaded so far dont think ive ever had a problem with a program so far

Btw, you can use Windows 7 for free till sometime next year but I think Microsoft is shutting down the actual download in August, so you could download the iso of that from Microsoft and use that for a while.

I only had 2 minor problems in Vista 64, one was that LG doesn't have a 64 bit driver for my damn phone (but it still works in USB mode for copying music/ringtones/pics so not a big deal). The other was that my cheapass mobo manufacturer didn't release a signed 64 bit driver for the JMicron eSATA controller but I was able to use an unsigned driver, though I've never actually used the eSATA so again not a big deal.

So basically some old or very poorly supported (LG!!) hardware might give you some trouble but your new system will be no prob. As far as games and software it all runs great.

• JennysMindJennysMind Member UncommonPosts: 869

The only reason to use Vista 64 is for the increased memory. Using a 32 bit system will only allow you to use 3.25 GB of ram. So if ram is a problem go with the 64 bit operating system. Plus there still is 64 incompatible software out there. For example Gametap can't play any windows game in 64 bit mode due its encryption software. Furthermore,  I doubt any game atm would play better on 64 bit  over 32 bit. Therefore, IMO if you have a 32 bit machine I wouldn't waste the money upgrading to a 64 bit one right now.

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216
    Originally posted by Alekhin

The only reason to use Vista 64 is for the increased memory. Using a 32 bit system will only allow you to use 3.25 GB of ram. So if ram is a problem go with the 64 bit operating system. Plus there still is 64 incompatible software out there. For example Gametap can't play any windows game in 64 bit mode due its encryption software. Furthermore,  I doubt any game atm would play better on 64 bit  over 32 bit. Therefore, IMO if you have a 32 bit machine I wouldn't waste the money upgrading to a 64 bit one right now.

afaik vista OSes come with both 32 bit and 64 bit install discs. Or atleast mine did. And having extra utilizable memory will help you run games .........

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481
    Originally posted by tvalentine

Originally posted by Alekhin

afaik vista OSes come with both 32 bit and 64 bit install discs. Or atleast mine did. And having extra utilizable memory will help you run games .........

It might if you buy retail, but most of us probably buy OEM.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

Originally posted by pyrofreak
    Originally posted by tvalentine
    Originally posted by Alekhin The only reason to use Vista 64 is for the increased memory. Using a 32 bit system will only allow you to use 3.25 GB of ram. So if ram is a problem go with the 64 bit operating system. Plus there still is 64 incompatible software out there. For example Gametap can't play any windows game in 64 bit mode due its encryption software. Furthermore,  I doubt any game atm would play better on 64 bit  over 32 bit. Therefore, IMO if you have a 32 bit machine I wouldn't waste the money upgrading to a 64 bit one right now.

It might if you buy retail, but most of us probably buy OEM.

Oh, the Vista keys work on both 32 bit or 64 bit versions so all you need to do is get a hold of a 64 bit copy through any means if you already got a key (MS will ship one for $10 too)..

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

My wife and I both run 64 bit vista, I wouldn't have it any other way.

No Problems in any games

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

In Windows XP 64-bit, you will get driver related issues because of how the OS is constructed.  Windows Vista 64-bit won't have this problem because it was designed to make use of virtualization.  It just creates a virtual 32-bit environment if you run a 32-bit app.  It was actually one of the main reasons DX10 needed to be on Vista before nVidia dropped the ball.  It was going to use virtualization to make games run more smoothly.

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

64 bit Vista for a year and a half and have fun into fewer problems than my friend on 32 bit Vista.

Of course it's almost impossible to tell how well a system does compared to another one with custom built PC's as they all differ in one way or another (my PC has Quad core and a Nvidia driver graphics card while my friend has dual core and an ATI driver card)

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• haratuharatu Member UncommonPosts: 409

While Vista 64bit had many problems when first launched it now surpasses the 32bit version. Of course since few software/hardware takes full advantage of this then there is really no advantage unless you are running one of those few programs that do.

Personally I recommend waiting till November and getting Windows 7, I have been running the RC and am quite happy with it... it has taken many ideas from Vista and the 64 bit version is in many ways better.

• OrthedosOrthedos Member Posts: 1,771

Just curious.  Why would one need a 64-bit OS if its purely a game rig.

How many games actually takes advantage of the new horsepower from a 64-bit rig?

If you have 4G RAM, your XP used 3.2G and the rest is not wasted, created a ram-drive and map your window swap files to it.

• FroweeyFroweey Member Posts: 4

64-bit Operating Systems can run 32-bit applications with no trouble, if under VISTA change PE compatibility ( Right Click >> Compatibility >> YOURSELECTION), if the PROCESS fails to initiate. 64-bit operating systems have the same memory registers as a 32-bit os. The AX, BX, AEX etc. But they also contain the extended 64-bit memory registers, which means 32-bit registers, which are found in 32-bit PE's are still compatible. 64-bit operating systems simply can hold more virtual memory, than a 32-bit OS. Thus, 64-bit Operating Systems may run more processes per every event in a CPU - Data Bus Cycle. 

In conclusion, There is no problem what so ever.

SolarSoft Systems CEO