Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Review of AoC = Fail

I tried the game again and it was about the same as last year for me. I hit a snag when two players from an 80 guild decided to block the Old Tartanis bridge to Kemi with their mounts. I said I would report them and they said "the GM's don't care" after an hour I got a GM response that said "there are work around"s so we won't do anything." I am done with this game for the last time.

Comments

• ULQQKEDULQQKED Member Posts: 28

Beware, they make you sign up with a CC so when the trial is up they charge you,  you have to keep up with your trial time., at least LotROL didn't make you do that.  I got suckered and they will get another $15 from me, but that will be the last.

• SpyridonZSpyridonZ Member Posts: 289

You know, you have an ability called "Crouch".

It lets you walk thru other players.

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190
    Originally posted by ULQQKED

I tried the game again and it was about the same as last year for me. I hit a snag when two players from an 80 guild decided to block the Old Tartanis bridge to Kemi with their mounts. I said I would report them and they said "the GM's don't care" after an hour I got a GM response that said "there are work around"s so we won't do anything." I am done with this game for the last time.

It's called crouch. You are fail.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Tick box to stop recurring sub? It is there.

While a small thing like this would cheese me off I would just use the crouch that is what it is there for.

There were a number of new players that didn't know this, but the bigger picture is the fact that the GM's don't care.  I have been playing MMO's for 8 years.

• htiger23htiger23 Member Posts: 113

There were a number of new players that didn't know this, but the bigger picture is the fact that the GM's don't care.  I have been playing MMO's for 8 years.
    Honestly, I don't play the game, but I find this post hilarious.  If it is as simple as hitting one button to get past them, the GMs better not waste their dang time on something like this!  You do realize that it costs money to pay GMs, and they spend their time helping with game-breaking bugs and other issues, right?  They aren't being jerks or asses; they are treating your request as something that the player should find the answer for themself, which seems like the proper thing to do in this case!

• Hammertime1Hammertime1 Member Posts: 619

Why should the GM's care if there is such an easy work around for your minor problem?

You wouldn't bother to just crouch, and instead you insist that the GM's do something about it? < boggle >

Your quoting skills suck, but you imply they everyone knows how to get past this, I remember my first time in EQ I didn't know how to log out. Players intentionally forking other players just because they can in a major city is not right, I saw quite a few new players mad because they couldn't get past them. I won't hurt them with my not playing but if they allow this kind of thing then they wont last as long as they like.

• VespersVespers Member Posts: 246

Knowingly blocking a players path to prevent that player from enjoying game content is called Griefing. Since these 2 lvl 80 players were not attacking the newer player, indicates that they were not interested in any type of PvP but rather they just wanted to Grief newer players. You shouldnt need to use a "work-around" to deal with Griefers in an MMO. The GM's should have rectified the situation instead of givin these 2 Griefers the indication that what they were doing was ok.
    Does the AOC mmo fail? I wouldnt know. Does the AOC community and GM support fail? It certainly is beginning to look like it does. The fact that the AOC players in this thread are making excuses for this poor behavior is a clear indication as to the quality of player that AOC seems to have playing the game.

Do you want entice new players to the game? Well then you might want to be more helpful and sympathic to these players and not act like it was their fault for not knowing all the little workarounds in the game.

It's no wonder that AOC has gone the way of Vanguard.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Vespers

Knowingly blocking a players path to prevent that player from enjoying game content is called Griefing. Since these 2 lvl 80 players were not attacking the newer player, indicates that they were not interested in any type of PvP but rather they just wanted to Grief newer players. You shouldnt need to use a "work-around" to deal with Griefers in an MMO. The GM's should have rectified the situation instead of givin these 2 Griefers the indication that what they were doing was ok.

Does the AOC mmo fail? I wouldnt know. Does the AOC community and GM support fail? It certainly is beginning to look like it does. The fact that the AOC players in this thread are making excuses for this poor behavior is a clear indication as to the quality of player that AOC seems to have playing the game.
    Do you want entice new players to the game? Well then you might want to be more helpful and sympathic to these players and not act like it was their fault for not knowing all the little workarounds in the game.

Dude,

Under wich rock have you been hiding all these years.

Tell me one MMO that doesn't have jerks?

That's right. EVERY MMO has them.

So get over yourself.

Cheers

• OrthedosOrthedos Member Posts: 1,771
    Originally posted by Hammertime1

Why should the GM's care if there is such an easy work around for your minor problem?

You wouldn't bother to just crouch, and instead you insist that the GM's do something about it? < boggle >

Hmm is it the way most AoC players see it?

Some new player come to try out a game that lost a lot of sub.  A game that sent me 3 emails so far trying to ask me to retry it for free.  What would I be seeing if I do return?

High levels obviously bullying the young ones by blocking the way.  They know those who do not know "crouch" are the new comers and they try to hurt the newcomers by saying "GMs won't care".

GMs who can simply answer :"crouch", or add a note referring to some reading materials.  Instead, the GM simply said, "F**k off, we do not intend to serve you".

Nice way to attract new comers, nice way to show people what AoC is, and what the community is.  In as much as I have already left AoC, never make it pass the first month, I still hope that the game will live and grow like EvE.

They all have them, but normally the game ignores them but in this game the GM's support them. 

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

They all have them, but normally the game ignores them but in this game the GM's support them. 

Ahh come on that's bull! And you know it.

All the OP had to do is ask any random player in the game how to get pass those 2 jerks and they would have given him the answer.

Would have saved him time bothering a GM for it and he could have go on playing, making those 2 jerks looking like a fool.

Cheers

BTW the toons were Wulfn and Xylton from the guild Eternal Dagoth on the Set server and I have screen shots of it all.

Originally posted by Guillermo197

Ahh come on that's bull! And you know it.

All the OP had to do is ask any random player in the game how to get pass those 2 jerks and they would have given him the answer.

Would have saved him time bothering a GM for it and he could have go on playing, making those 2 jerks looking like a fool.

Cheers

Yeah let's ask players  how to get around gfreifers, that is the community this game wants.

• OrthedosOrthedos Member Posts: 1,771
    Originally posted by Guillermo197

Originally posted by Vespers

Dude,

Under wich rock have you been hiding all these years.

Tell me one MMO that doesn't have jerks?

That's right. EVERY MMO has them.

So get over yourself.

Cheers

Every game has jerks.

Not all games allow jerks to ruin the gameplay of others.  I can pretty much ignore all the jerks in WoW.  I can ignore the Imperials in SWG, so long as I refuse to flag up for pvp.

Most decent games will do something either thru game design or simply ban excessively irritating behaviour.  In WoW if someone spams I can report him and the game will automatically mute him for me for a short while.  Very handy.  In WoW again, someone masterlooted and ninjaed the entire boss.  2 days later, he got a 3 day ban, and all items removed from him.

At the end, it all boils down to what you want from the game.  If you think alienating the new comers for the sake of some screwed up behaviour is nice, no problem.  But then sad to the promotion efforts of Funcom and the hard work of faithful loyalist alike Avery.  They put in efforts trying to keep the game floating.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Very stupid reply of the GM of course but you could have either crouched or jumped in the water and got up at the ladder just behind the travel npc....

But one moronic GM doesn't make the review bad (and I hope you werent provoking him BTW).

The blocking ability is kinda annoying but it really makes PvP more interesting.

Anyways I think you should report the GM, idiots like him shouldn't be a GM. Mail what happened to Funcom or post it on the official forum.

To be honest, I think the moron players have gotten a lot more lately in all games, even EQ2 who used to have an excellent community have been going downwards fast. I don't know why, people were generally a lot nicer and more helpful in all the games I played a year ago...

Originally posted by zymurgeist

I'm sure they find your tears delicious. Congratulations for rewarding them for their asshattery in exactly the way that pleases them the most. Did you also send them the hate messages in game that please them so much? You need to learn how to deal with griefers and this isn't it. "Ban him he made me crai!" Isn't the purpose of customer service. They are there to deal with real issues not be tied up with this petty easily circumvented nonsense. If he seemed unsympathetic it's because you deserve no sympathy. You may fids that harsh but it's a cold cruel world. Learn to deal with it.

Nope I asked them to move and they wouldn't  then told them I would report them.  They even asked why I was there for so long and I told them I was reporting them.  If it was a PvP server situation then it would have resolved it's self.   On a PvE server you don't have another option, and customer service said they could harass all they want and they wouldn't do anything.

• whpshwhpsh Member Posts: 199

Answering under the assumption that the OP is wrong for not knowing to crouch is a sure indication that you were one of the people on the bridge ... or wish you were ... that was blocking his path. It took more time for the GM to argue about not helping than it would've to just help. "Crouch" uses a great deal less space than what they were quoted as saying. And if they are required to be cryptic and not help, then just reply with "We're not supposed to help with issues like this except to say that you've already got a skill to overcome this situation. Now, ask me about opening the skills view ... then ask me about the crouch button."

When you're trying to secure someone's subscription, that isn't the time to run up the dick flag. That's just basic customer service 101.

I tried the trial. I'm not re-subbing because of another griefing issue. So he's not alone.

Eventually what's going to happen, like PotBS, is that those two donkey riders are going to ruin enough people on the game that it will just be the two of them (or feel like it for lack of population). It's also probable that they won't realize that they were burning the yardstick they used to measure their coolness with. And, more horrifying, once the game closes its doors, they'll finally feel the compelling urge to multiple, releasing dozens of spawn into the world from their donut distended, belly covered, genitals resulting in a sort of asshat apocalypse.

Fear for humanity ... I say ... fear for us all ....

Don't have to know what the GM said, he obviously didn't help the OP at all.

And there are three instances on the first page of folks telling him he's wrong, with a "fail" even being applied.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Yeah, he should have maybe asked around before sending in a ticket, but the fact is, the GM should have told him to crouch, instead of just saying there are ways around it.

• Hammertime1Hammertime1 Member Posts: 619

So a GM's job is to answer beginner's questions that have an easy solution?

Cripes, it takes hours to get a GM in most games, they're overworked to begin with, and now some of you seem to suggest that they function as the " help desk"  for people that won't use the elementary solution that is already in place for a minor problem?

I'd also like to note that as per his other posts, the OP here was on his *second* AOC trial.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/2976143#2976143

"After 4 years of WoW, two tries at Lotr, two tries at AoC, War, and a few free games I am going back to EQ, they have changed and dumbed down the game, but there is still a ton to do and see."

• afoaaafoaa Member UncommonPosts: 578

Both the OP and his opponents have a point.

He is right that the reaction from the GMs weren't good enough and that is a thing that can cost them customers if they act like that.

But his opponents are also right that the way around the problem is so simple that a little curiosity and asking around would have solved it quickly either by going around them and up the other way or by simply asking in global chat.

The OP were being too stubborn and close minded yes but the GMs should still have treated him well enough to have solved the problem for him.

Of course if he threw a fit over them not being willing to remove the two idiots on the bridge then things are different.

"You are the hero our legends have foretold will save our tribe, therefore please go kill 10 pigs."

It isn't the GMs job ... but they took the time to write a response of some kind. And that response, regardless of how technically accurate it was took more time than to answer the spirit of the question ...

Would you be particularly happy if, after spending an hour stranded in your car on the side of the road, the tow-truck you called, even though perfectly capable of hauling your freezing ass into town, responds with "I'm sorry, I only tow transmission problems."

Just because it's not in the job description, doesn't mean you shouldn't do it ... most of us call it being a human being.

• VespersVespers Member Posts: 246

Assuming that the OP isnt lying, he clearly states that the GM responded with "There are work around's so we won't help you".
    That sentence is quite a bit longer than typing "Try Crouching", which would have made more sense as well as being faster to type.

The more this type of situation happens then the worse the game looks to the newer players. Ingame GMs are on the front line of customer service and if they dont care about helping new players then what kind of signals do you think that new players are getting about Funcom.

This discussion has been closed.