Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

voice chat needs serious work

ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

I'm enjoying playing LoTRo but coming from eq2 I find the voice chat to be very marginal at best.  Most people don't even use it and if they do the quality is just bad.  In eq2 voice chat works great and pretty much everyone uses it.  I love the option to adjust voice levels of all the people in the voice chat.  So if one person is too loud and another two load I can just adjust each level of volume individually.  A great feature.

Anyone else have any comments about the voice chat?  Do more people use it at higher levels and how do you get everyones voice to the same levels?

---
Ethion

Comments

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102
    Originally posted by ethion

I'm enjoying playing LoTRo but coming from eq2 I find the voice chat to be very marginal at best.  Most people don't even use it and if they do the quality is just bad.  In eq2 voice chat works great and pretty much everyone uses it.  I love the option to adjust voice levels of all the people in the voice chat.  So if one person is too loud and another two load I can just adjust each level of volume individually.  A great feature.
    Anyone else have any comments about the voice chat?  Do more people use it at higher levels and how do you get everyones voice to the same levels?

From my experience most people dont use it because they use Ventrilo or TS. Hve had no problems with the in-game one when I have used it. More tha enough for me.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888
    Originally posted by Papadam

Originally posted by ethion

From my experience most people dont use it because they use Ventrilo or TS. Hve had no problems with the in-game one when I have used it. More tha enough for me.

Yeah I remember Ventrilo but haven't used it in over a year.  I'm super spoiled after playing eq2 for a year and having voice chat integrated into the game in the same way text chat is.

LoTR is a nice game but I've gotta say eq2 is a lot more polished overall...  It is mostly just little things but they matter in how nice usability of the game is.  LoTR seems so far like a better game then eq2 in many ways but is definitely lacking the polish.

---
    Ethion

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

In any game I've played outside of an FPS, the voice is terrible.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

It becomes rather common to see people using vc at higher levels although preferably at least in your guild you're using vent or something along those lines because the one Turbine provides isn't the best.  I've dealt with worse such as in WoW but it has its issues and it does really bite you cannpt individually adjust the volume of other players.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888
    Originally posted by Swanea

In any game I've played outside of an FPS, the voice is terrible.

The SOE has had some minor issues since the last patch but it is works great.  It has a nice UI in game and lets you adjust volume of everyone independently.  It has gone though some recent hickups with people joining or being bumped out of channels with the last update where they have now integrated it into the launch.  I'm sure that will be worked out.  But now you can join your guild voice channel or a custom channel from outside the game and it seamlessly transitions into the game and out of the game.  Last week it was so wierd I was on a raid and eq2 crashed on me.  But voice chat just kept going so I could tell the raid to hold up on the pull as my game crashed and was restarting.

Anyway I hope that they improve the voice chat soon.  When it works well in game veryone uses it and it makes grouping, raiding etc all much easier.  It is nice for guilds also.  Vent has good quality but obviously isn't integrated into the game and using vent in an adhoc group is pretty much impossible since everyone needs to have vent and configure it.

---
    Ethion