Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Overclocking - How To's

gnomexxxgnomexxx Member Posts: 2,920

I'm pretty sure this question has been asked before, so if I missed it I promise I did a search and I apologize ahead of time.  I'm not the pro at finding things on the Internet that some of you probably are. 

Anyways, I have an Intel i7 920 CPU and I would like to try to overclock it.  Are there any sites that you guys would recommend that are EASY to understand.  Keyword there is EASY.  Like ultra huge massive newb type sites.  I do not want a lot of technical mumbo jumbo because frankly, at the stage I'm at of learning this, it is just a big distraction and mostly frustrating.

Like I said, I've looked around on some other sites, but I felt something like I had fallen overboard and couldn't find my way back to the ship.  So I just gave up.  

===============================

Comments

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

Well, do not attempt it yourself. I would recommend registering to one of many overclocking forums (use Google). Post there after explaining that you are a completely noob on the subject and would really appreciate if someone with a similar setup would be able to help you.

Overclocking is not something that can be recommended unless you know exactly what you are doing. While you might get it working for a while, wihtout knowing, you can actually reduce the age of PC significantly. Or just kill it right there.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• NeosaiNeosai Member Posts: 401

I seriously do not recommend overclocking your CPU unless you are experienced at it and with a back up.

Not only is your CPU's lifespan is going to suffer, it might crash and burn if something goes wrong.

However, I can only recommend you find the various overclocking forum.  Look through all of them, and find the way that you are most comfortable with which also match your system spec.

The rest is really just hoping for the best.  Only thing I dare overclock on my computer is my videocard.

• stringboistringboi Member UncommonPosts: 394

Check these out:

www.i4memory.com/f80/i7-920-4769mhz-true120-air-13746/

www.ocforums.com/

www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp

A great place to see what other peoples settings are for their overclocks is on your motherboards forums.  The 920 is a very popular CPU, theres bound to be quite a few of people with your setup.  If this is your first overclock...make sure you read why they made the changes they did, and how they got to those changes.  Sometimes voltage changes dont need to be done, but for more extreme overclocks you will have to increase voltages, and thats when things can get dangerous.  Dont even attempt overclocking if you are using a stock cooler....you really should invest in an aftermarket one.

• TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Originally posted by gnomexxx

I'm pretty sure this question has been asked before, so if I missed it I promise I did a search and I apologize ahead of time.  I'm not the pro at finding things on the Internet that some of you probably are. 
    Anyways, I have an Intel i7 920 CPU and I would like to try to overclock it.  Are there any sites that you guys would recommend that are EASY to understand.  Keyword there is EASY.  Like ultra huge massive newb type sites.  I do not want a lot of technical mumbo jumbo because frankly, at the stage I'm at of learning this, it is just a big distraction and mostly frustrating.
    Like I said, I've looked around on some other sites, but I felt something like I had fallen overboard and couldn't find my way back to the ship.  So I just gave up.  

Not really any reason or need to OC that cpu tbh.

If you dont know how then dont :)

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347
    Originally posted by Neosai

I seriously do not recommend overclocking your CPU unless you are experienced at it and with a back up.
    Not only is your CPU's lifespan is going to suffer, it might crash and burn if something goes wrong.
    However, I can only recommend you find the various overclocking forum.  Look through all of them, and find the way that you are most comfortable with which also match your system spec.
    The rest is really just hoping for the best.  Only thing I dare overclock on my computer is my videocard.

OC is easy and safe and if you do it right your cpu may last as long as it would otherwise.

Voltage and temps are what hurt cpu lifespan if you get a good cooler and lap the cpu/heatsink (just heatsink if you like your cpu's warranty) then you can decress cpu temps while increasign cpu loads also its often the case where you can increase hertz via memory settings w/o incresing voltage. 

If the following is done you get a cpu speed increase with no loss of lifespan.

However it is important to know what NOT to do.

i like http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/forumdisplay.php?f=84

There is no one post i saw that would teach you but you read a bit and learn what to do and how to get what you need.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216
    Originally posted by Neosai

I seriously do not recommend overclocking your CPU unless you are experienced at it

every time i see a OCing thread, i see the same response over and over..... how do you think those experienced with OCing became experienced? They researched it, tried it, and went through trial and error to figure it out. TBH you shouldnt do alot of things unless your experience at it, but we do it anyways, because you arent born experienced.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• lornjlornj Member Posts: 334

you should try

www.tomshardware.com