Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Could advanced warcraft servers be answer to those unhappy with the ease of the game now ?

Comments

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Originally posted by arthen999 
    Well they already do to a certain degree . The roll playing servers may not be too every ones taste but they are offered .Also pve servers are Warcraft on easy mode simply because you can do your quest without having to worried about being ganked . So why not offer players advanced servers ? After all if what the OP is suggesting is implimented they would be no more difficult than warcraft was 2 years ago . Was WoW unpopular then ? NO Is WoW unpopular now ? NO but offering more choice in gameplay could make it even more popular.
    If such servers were not a success it would not take much for Blizzard to close them down . I think they would attract an older player base and be very popular because if you take the time to read these forums there are a lot of people that think WoW has been made far too easy for it to be enjoyable for them anymore .
    I sometimes think some WoW players that post in these forums are the dumbest people on the planet . Hardly supprising given there seams to be a degree of fanaticsm that surrounds this game that you dont get in other games . Its almost as if some Warcraft player need to come into these forums and justify thier choice of game . Its very sad really .  
    Eventually what will happen if the trend continues is large numbers of players will find another game . Its only a matter of time before people will find another game . The thing is when they do they ll remember what Blizzard did to Warcraft so anything that follows will be tainted by that . Warcraft 2 may not have the same impact or Starcraft or whatever they are working on . It happened to SOE . Once the trust in is gone its hard to get back .

Why would blizzard want to create a server for such a small market?  They seem to be doing well and not missing out on to many players if you ask me.  Not that I think this hard mode server is as easy to flip a switch and create as some here think it is.  Nor do I think it will someone change peoples who do not like the game into people that do. 

As for blizzard breaking trust this and that and comparing it to soe.  Has it ever occurred to you that maybe most wow players are happy and most people visit this site, because they are looking for a new mmo?  People continue to play wow, because the rest of the market is filled with such garbage.  Soe took a nose dive, because they shit on their customers and the quality of their games is crap.  Blizzard doesn't have much to fear until other companies step up their development. 

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007

Dont wear any gear and just use a fishing pole as a weapon.. there "super-super-super hard mode for the "hardcore... we are the pro gamers and ALL games should be made for only us" crowed ... enjoy your new super-super-super hard mode ... glad I could be of help to you.

• arthen999arthen999 Member Posts: 183
    Originally posted by coffee

Dont wear any gear and just use a fishing pole as a weapon.. there "super-super-super hard mode for the "hardcore... we are the pro gamers and ALL games should be made for only us" crowed ... enjoy your new super-super-super hard mode ... glad I could be of help to you.

Another  post avoiding the subject without saying why you think its a bad idea . You WoW players dont appear to be able to even debate even constructive criticism or even enter into any kind of intelligent conversation about Warcraft without being facetious .

I think the OP got one thing wrong . World of Warcraft is not just aimed at children its aimed at adults with the mentality of children as coffee has just proven .

Another  post avoiding the subject without saying why you think its a bad idea . You WoW players dont appear to be able to even debate even constructive criticism or even enter into any kind of intelligent conversation about Warcraft without being facetious .

I think the OP got one thing wrong . World of Warcraft is not just aimed at children its aimed at adults with the mentality of children as coffee has just proven .

Well... erm... you smell of pee-pee.. im telling my mommy you touched my special area.

It has been said many times why there are no servers of this type, just becuase you dont agree with them does not make them less vaild.

Bizzard builds wow for the majority of gamers not for the 0.000000000001% that would like their house to burn down if they died in PVP.

Blizzard do not want to maintain 2 versions of the game, blizzard a while back said they wont have pre-60 servers becuase they would have maintain 2 versions of the game and it takes reasources away.

It wont happen, so get naked and go beat up some mobs that are twice your level.. theres your hard more right there.. enjoy.

And if that does no satisfy you go join the Army they have 2 permdeath servers.. iraq and afganistan.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Well... erm... you smell of pee-pee.. im telling my mommy you touched my special area.

It has been said many times why there are no servers of this type, just becuase you dont agree with them does not make them less vaild.

Bizzard builds wow for the majority of gamers not for the 0.000000000001% that would like their house to burn down if they died in PVP.

Blizzard do not want to maintain 2 versions of the game, blizzard a while back said they wont have pre-60 servers becuase they would have maintain 2 versions of the game and it takes reasources away.

It wont happen, so get naked and go beat up some mobs that are twice your level.. theres your hard more right there.. enjoy.

And if that does no satisfy you go join the Army they have 2 permdeath servers.. iraq and afganistan.

Your argument is flawed.  Sure, they may not want two code bases, but it certainly insn't something they couldn't do quite easily.

DAOC back in the day supported at least 3 different rulesets with far fewer resources at their disposal than Blizzard has.

If you think its OK for a company to ignore what the playerbase might want, fine, but to try and say what they want to play is invalid isn't a sound arguement.

Me, I'd prefer to see a FFA PVP server, and I'm sure there's folks who would support a server or two along those same lines.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

Your argument is flawed.  Sure, they may not want two code bases, but it certainly insn't something they couldn't do quite easily.
    DAOC back in the day supported at least 3 different rulesets with far fewer resources at their disposal than Blizzard has.
    If you think its OK for a company to ignore what the playerbase might want, fine, but to try and say what they want to play is invalid isn't a sound arguement.
    Me, I'd prefer to see a FFA PVP server, and I'm sure there's folks who would support a server or two along those same lines.

The handful of people who want a FFA PVP server, or pre-60 servers, or super hard mode servers are not Blizzards customers, or atleast they are so small in numbers that.. and yes this might be harsh but its business after all.. they dont find it worth the time/money to do such servers.

No company, big or small can satisfy every one, and like it not they cannot satisfy the handful that want other server types, I hate to point to numbers but millions seem rather happy with the state of play in wow at the moment.

As to listening to customers, blizzard are amoung the best when it comes to that.

Originally posted by Kyleran

The handful of people who want a FFA PVP server, or pre-60 servers, or super hard mode servers are not Blizzards customers, or atleast they are so small in numbers that.. and yes this might be harsh but its business after all.. they dont find it worth the time/money to do such servers.

No company, big or small can satisfy every one, and like it not they cannot satisfy the handful that want other server types, I hate to point to numbers but millions seem rather happy with the state of play in wow at the moment.

As to listening to customers, blizzard are amoung the best when it comes to that.

I think I must live on a different planet to you . In my opinion Blizzard listens less to its player than any other pay to play mmorpg i ve tried . Espeacially when it comes to the pvp side of the game . I do not have a problem with Blizzard making the game a lot more easy to appeal to kids . Thier moneys as good as an adults after all but i do not enjoy a game where you can level from 1-80 within a very short period of time and kit it out with welfare epics within an even shorter period of time . Its designed to appeal to the " I want it now " culture . In the past you had to do a string of fun quest to get a certain item you wanted . Now that type of thing has been made null and void . The mid game level from 20-60 have become all but a solo grindfest simply because on most servers its hard to find a grouping ( deadmines aside ) . I ll proberbly still return to WoW once in a blue moon to see if its improved at all but i do not hold out much hope really . Advanced servers might make me want to play regulary again .

I think it depends on the time someones been playing warcraft how you view the game . If you ve been playing over three years you ll remember how different the game is compared to what it is now . Its a lot easier now (a few endgame boses aside) and theres no sign that Blizzard will not continue to make it even more so as time goes on . I still know quite a few people that play Warcraft most are not happy with the games current state but stay there either because most other mmorpgs dont offer what they want or because they have made a lot of friends in game . I think advanced servers would attract more mature players rather than children and would be easier to impliment than the adult servers talked about in some of the other threads in these forums .A lot of these people are at least thinking of trying Aion to see what its like in the hope it may offer more of a challenge than WoW .

One more point on people who use the arena to make a point that WoW is still difficult . The arenas do offer a challenge but because Blizzard continue to do nothing about the class imblances ( or at least not do enough ) its really dependant on what class you play as to how you do in it . also its dependant on the gear you go in with so if you ve had a good head start the chances are you will continue to win over new players who will find it difficult to catch up.  The arena and a few endgame dungeons are the only thing that offers any real challenge in Warcraft now and i m betting it wont be too long before Blizzard decides they are too hard and makes them easier .

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by Krewel

Originally posted by Thillian

You already have hard modes and insane achievements to accomplish. Let me guess, you don't even know who Algalon is? Ironbound proto drake?
    WoW caters for both casual and hardcore, learn that basic fact, pls, before embarasasing yourself with such ridiculous suggestions.

Algalon-Ironbound proto drake? After these words, it is quite funny that you say someone else is embarassing himself.

Dyslexia much or simple ignorance? I asked him if he knew who Algalon was or what an Ironbound proto drake was. The fact is only a couple of guilds have managed to down Algalon and only a few guilds have managed to get their hands on an Ironbound proto drake. Ergo, the game still caters to a hardcore minority.

Algalon-Ironbound proto drake is a word of your own devising. I have clearly asked two questions concerning Algalon and an Ironbound proto drake. How you managed to twist those two questions into some odd word "Algalon-Ironbound proto drake" is beyond me.

Next time you want to embarass somebody or make him feel stupid, I suggest you learn to read first.

Krewel is right (and manages to make some people look like they have no idea what they are talking about in the process).  Just because Blizzard has streamlined a lot of aspects of the game doesn't mean other aspects have also become easier.  The top guilds have been struggling for months with all the feats to attempt in Ulduar.  Only the very best of the best have just now accomplished everything.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Why they leave, in there own words:  www.aionsource.com/forum/introductions/25049-hi-all-those-coming-wow.html

"this post is NOT about aion par say but why they leave wow".

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Originally posted by templarga

Originally posted by stayontarget

Why they leave, in there own words:  www.aionsource.com/forum/introductions/25049-hi-all-those-coming-wow.html
    "this post is NOT about aion par say but why they leave wow".

Interesting that 90% of those posting seem to cite that raids were "too easy" or "constant" or "got bored with raiding".

Huh and in Aion its PVP raids right? Still raiding, still repetitive gaming day after day right?

For those that cite it was too easy, I guarantee you they were in guilds that required Vent, DBM, CTRaid, Decursive and every other add-on that people use to make WOW easier. Why do you think raiding was harder in original WOW - we didn't have every damn add-on possible that helps play the game for us.

Right now, for many WOW players, its the same as when AOC and WAR launched. Aion is the new thing and those trying it have honeymoon syndrome. Once the initial "COOL" wears off, many will realize its the same ole end-game grind that WOW offers - the only difference is its PVP versus PVE. After that, the same disillusionment will set in and many will quit and either find a new game or go back to WOW.

If not, and Aion manages to hold on to a lot of them, more power to it. I hope the game succeeds because the market needs a major success BIG time right now. After the failures of AOC and WAR (in terms of living up to the hype and goals), Aion needs too. I am just afraid that the hype will be a major distraction once the game launches since, like AOC and WAR, no game can live up to the hype.

In the end, Aion will probably do well but the players won't come from WOW - Aion will draw players from two other major MMO's where PVP is more of a focus. Those two - AOC and WAR. And if I am Funcom and Mythic, I am shaking in my shoes because Aion is a major draw for those player bases, and not so much from WOW.

Again "my post was not about aion but why they leave wow". 

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

And mine was why they won't and that players from other games are more likely to leave and go to Aion. And if they do, they will simply find more of the same.

AAaa but not all games are quote "WoW clones".

Big difference there.

Its hard to say how many people will leave WoW for Aion . Having seen what Aion is like i think a lot of people will give it a go because they are unhappy with many of the changes Blizzard have brought into the game . If Aion delivers the goods and that is a still and IF  then a lot of people will either leave WoW for good , play both or switch between the two . It may take something like advanced servers to bring people back . At the end of the day its a good idea to offer players more choice and kyleran says other games have done it in the past . If Blizzard really do listen to thier player base and not just the younger player base who want everything to be easily achieved we may very well see such servers at some point in the future .

I just also want to say i m excited about Aion in the same way i was excited about Warcraft 5 years ago . No other mmo since WoWs release has had so much potential . Its the perfect place for bored Warcraft players like myself to go at least untill Blizzard change there ways . I doubt i ll be alone .it could be quite the virtual exodus .  

• MellexxMellexx Member Posts: 27

Its hard to say how many people will leave WoW for Aion . Having seen what Aion is like i think a lot of people will give it a go because they are unhappy with many of the changes Blizzard have brought into the game . If Aion delivers the goods and that is a still and IF  then a lot of people will either leave WoW for good , play both or switch between the two . It may take something like advanced servers to bring people back . At the end of the day its a good idea to offer players more choice and kyleran says other games have done it in the past . If Blizzard really do listen to thier player base and not just the younger player base who want everything to be easily achieved we may very well see such servers at some point in the future .
    I just also want to say i m excited about Aion in the same way i was excited about Warcraft 5 years ago . No other mmo since WoWs release has had so much potential . Its the perfect place for bored Warcraft players like myself to go at least untill Blizzard change there ways . I doubt i ll be alone .it could be quite the virtual exodus .  

You're totally not alone on that one. When i first saw that 3.1 was going to bring about dual specs I was excited about it, but as time when on I saw more and more changes being brought about  that patch I just became disgusted with it. I stopped playing a lot before 3.1 came out and was intending to get back to playing when 3.1 was released but it just kept failing. All the changes turned me off from it and I absolutely hated the addition of Ulduar. I'd love to some day go back and see WoW change for the better but I doubt that's going to happy for now  I'm looking forward to Aion and hope it wont disappointment like AOC and WAR did.

• AlandoraAlandora Member Posts: 337

Well, my server still doesn't have a guild that has done 25man hardmode.... so yeah, there is still some 'difficulty' involved.

the thing is, where are hardcore guilds going to go?   There isn't a game out there that adds endgame content as fast as WOW.  Ulduar was released in April (?) and still hasnt' been completely cleared on my server, and in a few weeks there will be another raid level with hardmodes.

WOW's raids are finely tuned and require a lot of group coordination.   Other games just have hack/slash fights (ie patchwerk) and just increase the HPS and damage of the bosses.

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

You already have hard modes and insane achievements to accomplish. Let me guess, you don't even know who Algalon is? Ironbound proto drake?
    WoW caters for both casual and hardcore, learn that basic fact, pls, before embarasasing yourself with such ridiculous suggestions.

This guy is a great example of the World of Warcraft community. 

I have to say that I do not think removing portions of boss drops and chunks of experience rewarded from activities will somehow result in people falling in love with wow again.  All that will really accomplish is to require players to invest more time into the game.

Somehow I don't think that will create 'advanced' servers as the original poster thinks it will.  Nor do I think that wow is aimed more and more towards children, which is a common misconception in those who no longer enjoy the game.

In a nutshell I don't think you can turn wow into something is has evolved from.  You will not get the everquest grind out of wow, because it was specifically designed to not be that game.  What you are looking for should come from another game and I fully understand why this is being aimed toward wow, because the rest of the market is so weak in comparison to how blizzard makes mmos.  Sad, but that it is the ugly reality.

• krenalorkrenalor Member Posts: 214

Originally posted by Hrothmund

So very true. The hardcore, elitist gamer that comes to the forums daily to start threads about how WOW is for kids is not and never will be Blizzard's target market.

Wrong, wrong, wrong! http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/blizzards-rob-pardo-interview

Tthere is still a difference between a hardcore gamer and the ones that frequent forums calling WOW a kids game and its for people who want stuff handed to them.

And if you believe everything in that article, the "WOW is for kids and people who don't know how to play" argument goes right out the window too.

Casuals vs Elitist=CASUALS WIN!! I have championed the casual for years, you want a hard core game well get a job and pay the $100.00 a month fee to make it profittable , the death of Vanguard still makes me roar with laughter, I warned em!

Originally posted by ghettobooste

That is the type of response that the original poster is soliciting when he all but calls wow a childs game.  Overboard sure, but the stage was already set in the original post.

Originally posted by ghettobooste

I know what you mean . Instead of offering a concise arguement krewel insults and trys to shout people down. Its a bit pompus and immature is is it not .

Its also not hard to see why he still enjoys WoW with a mentality like that . He would fit right in with the virtual schoolyeard that the Warcraft community has become .

• AntiquitasAntiquitas Member Posts: 26

I do believe they have made it too easy for those who demand instant gratification and don't know how to work to get something. I don't know if I'd say that I'd group all young people into this lazy category though. It definitely has taken a good deal of the challenge and quality the game used to have away and made it boring now.

Should they revert some servers back? - would be nice to play the game without having everything handed to me on a silver spoon.

WIll They? - doubt it - I think it's just an embarassing fact of our culture now that we feel everything should be given to us. Everybody wants everything for free anymore and feels it's their given right to take what they want - just a sad state.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by googajoob7

As Warcraft becomes ever easier to appeal to very young children . Could advanced servers be the answer to bring back the games appeal to those unhappy with the way things are going . Such servers would offer less drops in raids , make epics harder to achieve and offer slower leveling .
    what do you think ? 

It might appeal to some people but I doubt it will be a huge success. Most people that think Wow is too easy have moved into other games by now. And I think many say that the game should be harder but with the choice between easy and hard servers they will stay choose the easy one unless the hard server offers better loot.

A harder server with less loot will not be popular.

Also it might be a little too late, warcraft is aging fast and people who quited because the game was too easy is playing something else now and more new games are coming out soon, it might be something Blizzard could consider for the next game but then the hard servers should have better loot and you should be able to switch between easy and hard like in Guildwars.

I have some friends who plays Wow and complains it is too easy but when they tried something harder with me they always whine that they die all the time so at least some people who say Wow is too easy are just talking bull. Of course a few of my friends are not representive for all Wow players but the type exist.

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Googajoob made this topic as a follow up to his previous topic, "faction switch another landmark in the slow decline of warcrafts gameplay".
    In that topic he said "how can i hate wow i played it for 4 years".
    You ever notice that the people that start these topics and use the defence "I played WoW for years and now I hate it because its too easy and dumbed down" never ever provide an Armory link?
    I guess these people dont want us to inspect their gear, Achievements and PvP records.

What does his gear, achievements and pvp record have to do with anything? Nothing to do with this post that's for sure. The only reason someone would even ask is because they are a kid or a 18/20 something with an e-peen complex. Now I think the point a couple of you are trying to make is that there is hardcore stuff to do ... well the OP never said there wasn't hardcore aspects. The suggestion is for the rest of the game ... you know ... what most people are doing. Leveling is easy, dungeons are super retarded easy, the heroics are stupid easy, even most of the achievments associated with the heroics are stupid easy, Naxx and most of those achievments were stupid easy as well. I mean FFS, I don't think I had 1 bad PUG from 70-80 the content was so dumbed down.

I think Ulduar was a step in the right direction but a little too late for me. Im done, not because of ease of the content but Ive just played for way too long .... I need something new.

Originally posted by Bama1267

Originally posted by Xiaoki

Googajoob made this topic as a follow up to his previous topic, "faction switch another landmark in the slow decline of warcrafts gameplay".
    In that topic he said "how can i hate wow i played it for 4 years".
    You ever notice that the people that start these topics and use the defence "I played WoW for years and now I hate it because its too easy and dumbed down" never ever provide an Armory link?
    I guess these people dont want us to inspect their gear, Achievements and PvP records.

What does his gear, achievements and pvp record have to do with anything? Nothing to do with this post that's for sure. The only reason someone would even ask is because they are a kid or a 18/20 something with an e-peen complex. Now I think the point a couple of you are trying to make is that there is hardcore stuff to do ... well the OP never said there wasn't hardcore aspects. The suggestion is for the rest of the game ... you know ... what most people are doing. Leveling is easy, dungeons are super retarded easy, the heroics are stupid easy, even most of the achievments associated with the heroics are stupid easy, Naxx and most of those achievments were stupid easy as well. I mean FFS, I don't think I had 1 bad PUG from 70-80 the content was so dumbed down.

I think Ulduar was a step in the right direction but a little too late for me. Im done, not because of ease of the content but Ive just played for way too long .... I need something new.

I have to agree and disagree with you on this point.

Everything was easy, but I do not think it was the intention of blizzard to do this.  They made to many changes to classes, raiding, buffs, talents, etc at the same time as they were making a new expansion.  Far to many changes at one time to balance as the easy of lich king was the result. 

Players simply did more dps, threat, area effect, mitigation, mana and health which made content much easier.  Blizzard missed the balance ratio they previously had.  Ever since release they have been slowly reducing it, but to little to late.  Ulduar is a step in the right direction though and I think things from that point on will be fine though. 

You are right in how easy the release content of lich king was.