Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Could advanced warcraft servers be answer to those unhappy with the ease of the game now ?

googajoob7googajoob7 Member Posts: 866

As Warcraft becomes ever easier to appeal to very young children . Could advanced servers be the answer to bring back the games appeal to those unhappy with the way things are going . Such servers would offer less drops in raids , make epics harder to achieve and offer slower leveling .

what do you think ? 

Comments

• KrewelKrewel Member Posts: 390

You already have hard modes and insane achievements to accomplish. Let me guess, you don't even know who Algalon is? Ironbound proto drake?

WoW caters for both casual and hardcore, learn that basic fact, pls, before embarasasing yourself with such ridiculous suggestions.

• ParkCarsHereParkCarsHere Member Posts: 666

It is an interesting idea. A major complaint of mine against WoW is that it always felt too easy, and every time I resub, it seems it got 10x easier. A "heroic" server, where even the normal mobs are more difficult to kill, would be a welcome change, imo. However, I don't think it would be very popular, and therefore not succeed. People will be too used to completing X instance in X minutes, and they will be put off if they have to spend more time and thought into their every day activities.

Still, it is a very interesting idea, even if it probably would not ever happen.

• IrishoakIrishoak Member Posts: 633

No.

• ParkCarsHereParkCarsHere Member Posts: 666
    Originally posted by Krewel

You already have hard modes and insane achievements to accomplish. Let me guess, you don't even know who Algalon is? Ironbound proto drake?
    WoW caters for both casual and hardcore, learn that basic fact, pls, before embarasasing yourself with such ridiculous suggestions.

This isn't a discussion about whether or not there are some aspects of WoW that are difficult. It is about making the general game more difficult (possibly more group oriented like EQ or FFXI). Just because there are some artificial challenges in the game, you can't honestly think the level of difficulty throughout the game is steep at any point.

Also, good job flaming a guy who was just making a suggestion. You're the reason people think WoW's community sucks. Good job!

• wartywarty Member Posts: 461

the game is _easier_ on a basic level. it is not _easy_ at the high level, the hard modes and final bosses of normal modes are _precision execution_ fights. there is nothing easy about them and if you had played at all you would know this. you probably havnt even done a 10man naxx with no-one dieing. whys that? because it is _TOO HARD_ for some people (we've come close, dangit only to have a death on thadd :'( ..)

Playing polished, lag free, feature complete games is carebear. Whining about a game you hate but still play is hardcore man!

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Algalon-Ironbound proto drake? After these words, it is quite funny that you say someone else is embarassing himself.

REALITY CHECK

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Originally posted by ParkCarsHere

This isn't a discussion about whether or not there are some aspects of WoW that are difficult. It is about making the general game more difficult (possibly more group oriented like EQ or FFXI). Just because there are some artificial challenges in the game, you can't honestly think the level of difficulty throughout the game is steep at any point.

Also, good job flaming a guy who was just making a suggestion. You're the reason people think WoW's community sucks. Good job!

The general game more difficult......I have THE solution:

Play a different game.

tadaaaaa!

• NeosaiNeosai Member Posts: 401

Precision Execution in WoW on the scale of  1 to 10 is about a 6. 

There are no 10 though because lag prevent anything to be THAT precise.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332

I don't see why they would spend the extra money and resources to support the small group that would make use of such a server.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

I think a server where player character power would be reduced by 25% and experience gains reduced by 50% would be good. Blizzard would never bother making any major changes to the game for just a small group, but reducing just the player character power would be easy enough for them to do.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

I have said it before on other threads and it bears saying again here, the so called 'Hardcore' players are not and never have been Blizzards core target market. They are the sort of people that burn out on content after a few months and move on to another game until the next expansion, therefore they produce no revenue in that time. The casual players on the other hand stay with the game month after month, year after year and that is why the game is geared towards those players.

The resources and time that would be needed to support a server of this type just wouldn't be viable and to be honest i can't see a huge take up for it other than for novelty value. Blizzard is offering a small step back in time option with 3.2 as you will be able to turn off your xp gain and do the old raids you enjoyed doing as they were, so for those that want some of the old challenges they now have that chance.

There is no other choice but to agree that levelling has become so much easier now, but that only makes sense as the game is more weighted towards the top end and that is where the challenges are now. Ulduar is still keeping raiders very busy and with the release of the collisium with 3.2 as well, there is plenty to keep people busy.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• KrewelKrewel Member Posts: 390
    Originally posted by Thillian

Algalon-Ironbound proto drake? After these words, it is quite funny that you say someone else is embarassing himself.

Dyslexia much or simple ignorance? I asked him if he knew who Algalon was or what an Ironbound proto drake was. The fact is only a couple of guilds have managed to down Algalon and only a few guilds have managed to get their hands on an Ironbound proto drake. Ergo, the game still caters to a hardcore minority.

Algalon-Ironbound proto drake is a word of your own devising. I have clearly asked two questions concerning Algalon and an Ironbound proto drake. How you managed to twist those two questions into some odd word "Algalon-Ironbound proto drake" is beyond me.

Next time you want to embarass somebody or make him feel stupid, I suggest you learn to read first.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • HrothmundHrothmund Member Posts: 1,061
    Originally posted by templarga

So very true. The hardcore, elitist gamer that comes to the forums daily to start threads about how WOW is for kids is not and never will be Blizzard's target market.

Wrong, wrong, wrong! http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/blizzards-rob-pardo-interview

• ZhqrxtZhqrxt Member Posts: 152

Customized servers could defeneately be a good thing. Simply to add flavor. Add maybe 5 new servers with different themes.

Personaly i would like to se a Hardcore server with perma death. I bet most of the former diablo 2 Bnet players would like this as well. Diablo 2 hardcore, made a trivial game, which didnt offered more then loot trading (infamous trade games) and alt`holism, into something very exciting which really tampered with the players emotions.

Wouldnt mind a no lvl cap server either. Engame raiding would still be accesable at 80, but from there the exp>level conversion could rise fast, so achiving lvl 90 would be something 5-10 ppl a server would achieve. Problem would offcourse be the collision with the next xpack. I would really like to see more rpg and leveling beeing more then just a 2-3days stressed single player game after each xpack, though.

• spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

there's been ideas like these for years and as far as WoW are concerned- the status quo is absolutely fine.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • googajoob7googajoob7 Member Posts: 866

I think warcraft as it is now is a good starter mmo , a good mmo for the casual player and a good mmo if your a child . it still has elements in it i like and enjoy and i would like to keep playing but i really dont like some of the choices blizzard have made with the gameplay and how easy it has become overall ( i m aware there are still a few decent challenges in the endgame but certainly not enough in my view ) .

You only have to look at these forums to see i m not alone . I think some ex players would come back if there were advanced mode servers . What would ve so wrong in them ? All i m suggesting is a few things be made harder and less easy to achieve . If Warcraft is about choice then people can chose to play in normal mode or hard mode . It happens in nearly every single player game after all does nt it .

The only reason i can see for people being against it is that they view if it was implimented that the servers they are playing on would be viewed as easy mode or kids servers . It would nt be that way at all you d simply be playing they game your playing now and as a lot of you have argued it offers plenty of challenges as it is for you now .

But why stop the players that used to enjoy WoW but find it does nt challenge them enough now ?

After all i m really only suggesting advanced mode servers offer the kind of leveling speed we had two years ago from levels 20-60 , the kind of honor it took to buy epic gear that was once in place and there not being guaranteed an epic drop from every endgame instance you do thus making epics something speacial again .

If people did nt want to play on such servers it would be thier choice not to but it would be nice to have the choice. it would offer the best of both worlds to players .

• Hammertime1Hammertime1 Member Posts: 619
    Originally posted by LynxJSA

I don't see why they would spend the extra money and resources to support the small group that would make use of such a server.

Best reply of the thread.

If ya'll want a harder game ( and have finished all the Heroic content ),  find another game.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,853

Googajoob made this topic as a follow up to his previous topic, "faction switch another landmark in the slow decline of warcrafts gameplay".

In that topic he said "how can i hate wow i played it for 4 years".

You ever notice that the people that start these topics and use the defence "I played WoW for years and now I hate it because its too easy and dumbed down" never ever provide an Armory link?

I guess these people dont want us to inspect their gear, Achievements and PvP records.

• googajoob7googajoob7 Member Posts: 866
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Googajoob made this topic as a follow up to his previous topic, "faction switch another landmark in the slow decline of warcrafts gameplay".
    You ever notice that the people that start these topics and use the defence "I played WoW for years and now I hate it because its too easy and dumbed down" never ever provide an Armory link?
    I guess these people dont want us to inspect their gear, Achievements and PvP records.

I dont need to defend anything here . If you read my opening post i suggest a solution to a problem a lot of people have with WoW and I invite a discussion on it not an arguement .

well i dont hate warcraft . i dont like a lot of choices they ve made . i dont like the the idea of faction switching but i also suggested if it was implimented properly it could work . if it allows people to switch factions on the same server you play on at present i thought that would be a horrible idea . i do find warcraft too easy and dumbed down so i thought i would follow it up by bringing up the topic of advanced servers because i m not alone in not enjoying what warcraft has become but would love to play again if they made a few changes and as i ve suggested in this forum advanced servers might be a possible solution that would bring back or retain disalusioned players . If you think a troll would do that your an idiot .

i ve not said people that play warcraft are stupid for enjoying what it is now . its obvious blizzard has made changes to warcraft to appeal to younger children . that does nt mean there arnt elements of it adults would enjoy . i also dont have my eyes shut . i know theres a problem with warcraft in a lot of players eyes . all i ve done is start up a topic about it suggesting a way that it could be rectified . Its funny how the WoW fanbois cant actualy stay on topic but have to resort to things like the post above .

i m hardly one of these WoW haters and i m not dumb enough to post my character names on this website so dream on there mate .

• arthen999arthen999 Member Posts: 183
    Originally posted by Hammertime1

Originally posted by LynxJSA

Best reply of the thread.

If ya'll want a harder game ( and have finished all the Heroic content ),  find another game.

Well they already do to a certain degree . The roll playing servers may not be too every ones taste but they are offered .Also pve servers are Warcraft on easy mode simply because you can do your quest without having to worried about being ganked . So why not offer players advanced servers ? After all if what the OP is suggesting is implimented they would be no more difficult than warcraft was 2 years ago . Was WoW unpopular then ? NO Is WoW unpopular now ? NO but offering more choice in gameplay could make it even more popular.

If such servers were not a success it would not take much for Blizzard to close them down . I think they would attract an older player base and be very popular because if you take the time to read these forums there are a lot of people that think WoW has been made far too easy for it to be enjoyable for them anymore .

I sometimes think some WoW players that post in these forums are the dumbest people on the planet . Hardly supprising given there seams to be a degree of fanaticsm that surrounds this game that you dont get in other games . Its almost as if some Warcraft player need to come into these forums and justify thier choice of game . Its very sad really .  

Eventually what will happen if the trend continues is large numbers of players will find another game . Its only a matter of time before people will find another game . The thing is when they do they ll remember what Blizzard did to Warcraft so anything that follows will be tainted by that . Warcraft 2 may not have the same impact or Starcraft or whatever they are working on . It happened to SOE . Once the trust in is gone its hard to get back .

• Hammertime1Hammertime1 Member Posts: 619

" i m not dumb enough to post my character names on this website so dream on there mate ."

Xiaoki, you hit that one on the head.

• arthen999arthen999 Member Posts: 183
    Originally posted by Hammertime1

" i m not dumb enough to post my character names on this website so dream on there mate ."

Xiaoki, you hit that one on the head.

OK Xiaoki and Hammertime1 your both very vocal about posting characters names and what servers they are on . Lets see you put your money where your mouths are . Post yours and see what responce that gets you in game . It would be foolish to post such personal information in an online forum . All you are trying to do is bait the OP away from the topic . Its childish .

I have also noticed not one of the people that do not like this idea has actually put forward any kind of real arguement against it . Once again they decend into immature baiting and personal attacks . Is this really the mentality of the average WoW player ? I really hope thats not the case .

It would be nice to hear exactly why you would be against giving players the choice of advanced servers . Given it would not effect the gameplay on your servers one iota .

What harm would it do to offer those who find Warcraft too easy for them an alternative ? It may even make the game even more popular or retain its current popularity for longer .

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

I want a classic server. I'd come back to wow if they did that, at least until TOR launched.