Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How the mighty have fallen

13»

Comments

• MwajiMwaji Member Posts: 229
    Originally posted by eccoton

Originally posted by Mwaji

Thats true many good games don't have a million even. But this thread is mainly about rubbing it in the face of those who said wow would be the top MMORPG until 2016 or so. WoW is just not the perfect mmo for many people. EQ and WoW left pvp high and dry and for the detractors saying that class balance is not possible blizz PR BS go play GW or AC or even L2... crap go play half the asian grinders out there who somehow managed class balance... but anyway. It's old and many of us just don't care for the glorified chat room wow has become. Its just not very social, or interactive mainly you geargrind in a dungeon with people you Hate and never interact with the player base since Instances are IT in wow. I mean seriously if you want a 5 to 10 player party game just go by an old Copy of Icewind Dale, or Neverwinter nights and get some dungeon mods.. your all set then... really whats the difference?
    I mean the format is ok and all but the saturation of wow clones has left us high and dry on other mmo types, there are not enough games like EVE or RYZOM out there. And every new wow clone makes you more and more sick of the template.
    BTW will not touch AION looks like MU online with better graphics... wont go through that hell again.

ridiculous! Lineage 2? That is your example of class balance? WoW is a glorified chat room? Not enough games like Eve or Ryzom? Have you ever played either? Eve is great and but niche game there is not an audience big enough for another EvE. Ryzom is also a great game but has never been a real success. That is why it has changed hands. So you would rather have L2 and Ryzom clones then WoW clones? Seems to me people scream for change then when a company tries it these same people do not support the effort. Remember Seed, Auto Assault, Tabula Rasa, Asheron's Call 2, and many more. You want change you have to support the developers efforts.

You seem to be blaming WoW for the fact you do not have an mmo you like. You are part of the problem. Did you subscribe and play Ryzom? I did for 3 years. Did you subscribe to Asheron's Call 2? It was a really great game but no one played it, where were you? You scream change and WoW clones are everywhere, but do you support the games that are different? Named me five WoW clones since there are so many out there. I hear this stuff all the time. People crying about all the WoW clones. Start naming them. I do not see any game that is just like WoW or a clone, that so many love to claim are saturating the market. Maybe Runes of Magic could be considered a WoW clone.  Aion is like MU online? Do you even know anything about Aion? We are left high and dry? There have never been so many choices for mmos fans ever. You might join us in a little place I like to call "reality".

I read so many threads here and wonder how many people who post actually play mmos and follow the industry. Not many based on some of the stuff people say. I think many people's first and only experience is WoW but somehow they are experts on the mmo world. It really began in 1996 with Meridian 59, the first 3d mmo, not  2004 with WoW.

Well I can take personal attacks from rabid fanbois all day long if thats what you intend to do. As for what wow clones can I name, maybe you missed WAR, or are just not intelligent enough to know it's an obvious pvp clone version of wow. I find that hard to believe given your obvious name dropping techniques you must know what your talking about. That or your just masking your disdain for negative wow postings, which is totally believable since your post in effect said nothing, I'm sure that was on purpose though. A clever ruse to draw me away from what you were really thinking, you just failed to type any of it down....yeh that has to be it.

Anyway back to wow clones since you of course played them all but just want to know that you know that I know that you know they are actually clones. AOC another wow clone tired a few different things but really its the same diablo talent system with swing timers. Then Allods, Runes of Magic, Neo Steam, Rappelz, Ether Saga, 4 Story, Perfect World, Silkroad.. to greater and lesser degrees, there are more, but you can really fill a page with them. And your challenging me to name ONE.. really? Are you dense?

And yes there are MMOs that I like but most of them are getting pretty dated now, but lets not forget what your little hissy fit retorts are really about, putting me in a defensive position to derail the Forum topic at hand. Mainly dealing with the very attitudes you and your little friend above show when wow is challenged in Any way. Nothing you said proves anything there is no argument to what you said. It's the very thing you accuse me of, just on the opposite end of the spectrum. Where were all these friendly attitudes when WoW had 11 subs and any critics were met with 11 nuf said followed by a mad hateful rant masked in the guise of concern, much like yours was.

And how the hell do you have any idea what game I support or don't? Buddy unless me and you are sharing an account I don't know about, you don't know crap. But I don't make groups or guild up with whiny defensive crybabies so the chances you will ever find out are fairly slim. The first thing I said was many good games dont have a million players, but you seem to think that means something else.

AC2 was Greeeeeeeeeat if your computer didnt crash trying to run it, not as buggy as Dark and Light but it really really tried to be. Whatever your seal of quality on games is, it's obviously not based on playability.. maybe the character portraits and lore? As for where I was I was saving my machine the glory of having my hard drive wiped on that POS you seem to love so much, AC1 it is not. That stupid comment alone is enough to discredit most of your useless jibber.

LOL

Personnel attack? Not even. Rabid fanboy? Not even. I have been on these form for a longtime now and have been called a lot. Mostly a SOE fanboi but not once have I been called a WoW fanboi that is a first. Point to one thing that I said that was a personnel attack, I do not know you from adam. All I have done was ask you a few questions. The last paragraph of my post was not directed at you it was a general comment about what I often read on these forums. Why don't you post the names of the games you actually like and explain how they are different and not WoW clones. Or explain how WoW has fallen. You might talk about what makes the games you like so good. You seem use a lot of "useless jibber" but do not actually say much. You got me good with "useless jibber, rabid fanboi, dense, buddy, whiney defenseless crybaby, hissy fits. Good job! Calling someone a fanbois is the oldest most useless way to defend your point on these forums when you really do not have a defense.

You say WAR is a WOW clone? Have you played WAR? It is nothing like WoW. All the main mmos out now have familiar aspects, that hardly makes them clones. As far as your L2 comment. Have you played L2 much? All I said is L2 classes are hardly balanced or at least were not when I quit about a year ago.

Asheron's Call 2 was a great stable game. Just because you have technical issues with it does not me I did. Crashing was never a problem. The lack of players was the problem. As far as your WoW clone list. The Allods (never played it, I make it a point on these froums not to comment on games I do not have experience with). Runes of Magic, as I said before a WoW clone. I have played all the other games you mentioned and none feel like a WoW clone. When did I say I love Asheron's Call 2? I said it was a great game. When did I say I loved any games mentioned here. I simple responded to a ridiculous thread say WoW has fallen. Many already pointed out the OP had no clue what he was talking about.

Your right I do not know crap about you do I? Not sure after reading your posts I would want to. You get attacked a lot on these forums I would bet. That is why you responded to my post with such anger, you probably get it all the time. Now, I do not sit next to you at your computer so nope I do not really know this to be fact but I think it is. Yup I did call your comment on L2 ridiculous, in my opinion it is and seems ill informed. Why would I derail this thread. I am not a fanboi and if you know my history I hardly ever post on the WoW forums. However, if you shared my accounts and sat here with me watching my posts you would know this.

"Buddy" nothing in my post was a rabid fanbois personnel attack at you. I could actually careless about you, I was responding to statements I found untrue and in at least one case ridiculous. By the way I am not your "buddy" and do we need a genius to point out that none of us actually know "crap" about any of the rest of us at these froums. See pretty obvious.

I think your just peeved I'm right about AC2 and you hate it. The game was not stable thats total BS it was cancelled with 50,000 or less subs and was hardly a sequel.

As for personal attacks thats obviously what your doing, your also ranting about a dead game your in love with. You think there are no wow clones which is of course bs, that or you just dont recognize game mechanics.Nothing I said was untrue the only jibber is coming from your direction. I imagine your just part of the Bring back Ac2 campaign and get defensive every time I mention it, but I don't want you to confuse any of these new wow players into thinking that POS is worth their time. I have to call BS on you there little buddy.

I can debunk most of what you say with the magic Google search engine, now run along and let your rage ebb elsewhere.

• RavenmaneRavenmane Member Posts: 246

WoW isn't a bad game.  I have many fond memories of playing but I do know many players are quitting.  Not enough to really be detrimental to the player population but the numbers are there to make teh devs notice and try things to keep people hooked.  Take teh next patch for instance.  I new dungeon, new raid, new rewards, mount lvl decrease, class changes, etc.  It seems to be the norm except I think they've been pushing this patch earlier and earlier because they want something to freshen the game, even after the beast patch of Ulduar.

A lot of the players who left WoW are old school WoW players who just need seomthing new.  The game kinda went downhill after BC and the formula for the game hasn't really changed to keep it fresh after almost 5 years.  At least tehy don't really over-inundate you guys with content like some games do where you can hit cap and maybe see 1/7 of the game.

WoW is not dying, it will never fall.  eventually they may go F2P after the next Blizzard mmo releases with some pay features but that would be simply to appease the hardcore WoW fan and not spend the resources on developing content for 2 mmo's.  The servers are just fine though I think they should probably do a merge sometime soon to boost populations on some servers.  Personally having that many servers is bad if you don't have teh numbers to supports them.  It gets expensive.

"If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is probably the answer."
  • eccotoneccoton Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

I think your just peeved I'm right about AC2 and you hate it. The game was not stable thats total BS it was cancelled with 50,000 or less subs and was hardly a sequel.
    As for personal attacks thats obviously what your doing, your also ranting about a dead game your in love with. You think there are no wow clones which is of course bs, that or you just dont recognize game mechanics.Nothing I said was untrue the only jibber is coming from your direction. I imagine your just part of the Bring back Ac2 campaign and get defensive every time I mention it, but I don't want you to confuse any of these new wow players into thinking that POS is worth their time. I have to call BS on you there little buddy.
    I can debunk most of what you say with the magic Google search engine, now run along and let your rage ebb elsewhere.

Peeved, in love with, and rage? Bring back AC2? I would not return even if it was brought back. I could careless if you hate WoW and I could careless if any new players join. Neither of those things effect my playing WoW one bit.  "Buddy" you're delusional.

Originally posted by Ravenmane

WoW isn't a bad game.  I have many fond memories of playing but I do know many players are quitting.  Not enough to really be detrimental to the player population but the numbers are there to make teh devs notice and try things to keep people hooked.  Take teh next patch for instance.  I new dungeon, new raid, new rewards, mount lvl decrease, class changes, etc.  It seems to be the norm except I think they've been pushing this patch earlier and earlier because they want something to freshen the game, even after the beast patch of Ulduar.
    A lot of the players who left WoW are old school WoW players who just need seomthing new.  The game kinda went downhill after BC and the formula for the game hasn't really changed to keep it fresh after almost 5 years.  At least tehy don't really over-inundate you guys with content like some games do where you can hit cap and maybe see 1/7 of the game.
    WoW is not dying, it will never fall.  eventually they may go F2P after the next Blizzard mmo releases with some pay features but that would be simply to appease the hardcore WoW fan and not spend the resources on developing content for 2 mmo's.  The servers are just fine though I think they should probably do a merge sometime soon to boost populations on some servers.  Personally having that many servers is bad if you don't have teh numbers to supports them.  It gets expensive.

Well said. I agree. Some of the reason's you mention is why I left for a few month. I came back and having a great time. While sure people leave WoW it is hardly the fallen game some claim here and those that have left have no impact on the populations on the server I play on. After about a 6 month break the game seem as alive and full as ever.

• MwajiMwaji Member Posts: 229

Peeved, in love with, and rage? Bring back AC2? I would not return even if it was brought back. I could careless if you hate WoW and I could careless if any new players join. Neither of those things effect my playing WoW one bit.  "Buddy" you're delusional.

I'm not the one who made it a topic of discussion on the WoW forums to begin with.

• NeosaiNeosai Member Posts: 401

WoW haven't really fallen. The subscription number dropped slightly, but it is normal with a MMORPG of this age.

Additionally, WoW still maintain more than enough subscription to rake in tons of income for Blizzard.  WoW is not going anywhere soon.  WoW simply reached a point where it will start relying on stable number of players that play the game, which in WoW's case is likely to be still an astounding number.

BTW, I don't even like WoW much.  However, I try to be fair and obective about all games.

• GregtheexconGregtheexcon Member Posts: 203

Well, every game has its time. WoWs will come to an end. But it will be slow in decline.

Every thing gets retired. But give WoW credit, 11 million people playing, its gonna take many years for it to decline. The only WoW killer is time.

Enjoy : )

Originally posted by Gregtheexcon

Well, every game has its time. WoWs will come to an end. But it will be slow in decline.
    Every thing gets retired. But give WoW credit, 11 million people playing, its gonna take many years for it to decline. The only WoW killer is time.

You hit the nail right on the head. So many for years now have been asking what will be the WoW killer? There will be no WoW killer. Someday the lights will be turned off on WoW. However,  that is a very long time away. WoW will see it's 10th anniversary and probably it's 15th. As it's stands right now only Blizzard can bring the mighty to its knees.

• pleasenjoi93pleasenjoi93 Member Posts: 71

WoW hasn't even gotten close to falling. Everything would be different if there was some major problem with the game and players from the west AND east quit, but that's not the case.

"...these forums are like soap operas"-Nihce

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

WoW is a really great game when you first start playing, especially if you are playing with people you already know. I sympathize with the OP though in that the developers have changed the game (especially the classes) too much. Some may like that and feel that players should have to adapt to survive. Others, like myself and the OP, feel cheated because what we once loved is now only a memory. Ah well. 

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• sherman8199sherman8199 Member Posts: 18

My question for the OP, is how do you log into your characters on your cancelled account using your friends account information?  Just some simple reading comprehension.  If you can explain that to me, it would make my day 10x better.

Originally posted by erikk3189

Yes, how wow has fallen on its face no-less.

Upon visiting an old friend I saw he still had time on wow being he cancelled the account  much as I had done months ago. So I deecided to go in and take a look-see to see if it was true that many people have left. Yes It's true.

First off, when I logged in to one of my old accounts, an 80 dk, it said words like, "so and so is no longer here or so and so no longer exists. These were people I had played with and even some I had muted who have left.  Quite a long list of players no longer there. I then went to stormwind, a place with many players lounged about and the crowd there, if you want to call it a crowd was non-existence.  I admit its not like swg where there is no one there, there are players there, but nothing and I mean nothing like it used to be. all over the population has dwindled down a lot.

**I cut the rest, it isn't pertinent to my question**

• kascrzkascrz Member Posts: 36
    Originally posted by sherman8199

My question for the OP, is how do you log into your characters on your cancelled account using your friends account information?  Just some simple reading comprehension.  If you can explain that to me, it would make my day 10x better.

Upon visiting an old friend I saw he still had time on wow being he cancelled the account  much as I had done months ago. So I deecided to go in and take a look-see to see if it was true that many people have left. Yes It's true.
    First off, when I logged in to one of my old accounts, an 80 dk, it said words like, "so and so is no longer here or so and so no longer exists. These were people I had played with and even some I had muted who have left.  Quite a long list of players no longer there. I then went to stormwind, a place with many players lounged about and the crowd there, if you want to call it a crowd was non-existence.  I admit its not like swg where there is no one there, there are players there, but nothing and I mean nothing like it used to be. all over the population has dwindled down a lot.
    **I cut the rest, it isn't pertinent to my question**

I Noticed that the game has thined out as well, but I think that it is because the world is a lot bigger than it used to be. I havn't played that game in almost a year so i could be wrong, but a bigger world would explain why stormwind seems dead.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Seems this once indestructible game is no longer as strong as it once was. Good for them. I'm glad. I quit cause I was sick and tired of the constant nerfs and many unnecessary changes. It's all they do. And the thing is the devs are so damn stupid they still keep doing the same thing. You haven't gotten used to the new changes when they're making new ones to the same classes and even the professions.
    I know the games fanbois will make excuses and defenses saying its not true but no matter what the proof is in the pudding as they say. Just login and you'll see it yourself. This is why now they're lowering the mount level and why they're adding some of the changes they should of long ago, to pull players back in. Won't work!
    Nothing lasts forever.

I know what you mean. Seems like just yesterday there were people upon people looking for groups to run Heroics and my guild, man they must have run like 4 at once, ah the goold old days...wait, it WAS yesterday!

In keeping with the McDonalds analogy that seems to be so popular when discussing WoW, if I was in McDonalds and it was packed one day and I came back the next and the place was filled with half as many people as the day before, would that mean McDonalds is in trouble and had fallen on its face?

Just wondering...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• CyrinCyrin Member UncommonPosts: 43

I've been playing wow continously, since the beta.  On the three servers that I play on regularly: Bleeding Hollow, Grizzly HIlls, Shattered Halls.  I have noticed a significant drop in active population.  I wont speculate on it's significance.

• Riesig09Riesig09 Member Posts: 15

Seems this once indestructible game is no longer as strong as it once was. Good for them. I'm glad. I quit cause I was sick and tired of the constant nerfs and many unnecessary changes. It's all they do. And the thing is the devs are so damn stupid they still keep doing the same thing. You haven't gotten used to the new changes when they're making new ones to the same classes and even the professions.
    I know the games fanbois will make excuses and defenses saying its not true but no matter what the proof is in the pudding as they say. Just login and you'll see it yourself. This is why now they're lowering the mount level and why they're adding some of the changes they should of long ago, to pull players back in. Won't work!
    Nothing lasts forever.

I dunno about you, but most of the people I knew when I quit, and returned, are still playing.

WoW has fallen no more than any other MMO, it is the 600LB gorilla that continues to sit on the competition day and night.

And they are lowering the mount level and cost to make the game even more casual friendly, but if anyone quit due to not having a mount they probably lack the basic patience and money managing skills to be successful in the real world, let alone a game.

Edit: And if you play on a medium or low population server, you should expect the population to decline as people transfer to higher population servers. Area 52 is bursting at the seams and people still transfer to it!