Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Very Sad

avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

Very saddened by this news.  I do feel bad about the devs that lost their jobs.  The concept was good the execution was not.  I do fear that this will be another nail in the coffin for originality...I hope not...

TCoS will be  back, but not the same....R.I.P.  TCoS.

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

The way I see it is, they knew they were shutting down well before they released this game.  It's all coming clear now, with no advertisement, and other strange actions on tcos part, such as giving away the game for free.  They allowed the players to invest their time in something they knew was not gonna last.

I'll bet they played it out as told by their lawyers advice. I hate lawyers !

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by page

The way I see it is, they knew they were shutting down well before they released this game.  It's all coming clear now, with no advertisement, and other strange actions on tcos part, such as giving away the game for free.  They allowed the players to invest their time in something they knew was not gonna last.

The more you think about, the more I start to believe this as well.

Maybe they were hoping for a miracle. Who knows.

Fact is, that the game was sertainly not release worthy. And sertainly not to ask 14,95 a month for.

There were hardly any dungeons in the game, no endgame, PVP was non-existend as the PVP system was absent, no market place and crafting not fleshed out as well. The New Player experience was non-existend and the first few levels turned more players away from the game then keeping it.

Basically, the game launched without any longetivity in place. They knew most people would have lost interested within 1 month... or maybe two (the slow levelers).

I guess in the end, Frogster and Acclaim get what they want. A title to mold to their will. Free 2 Play crap with Item Mall.

Cheers

• DelanorDelanor Member Posts: 659
    Originally posted by Guillermo197

Originally posted by page

The more you think about, the more I start to believe this as well.

Maybe they were hoping for a miracle. Who knows.

Fact is, that the game was sertainly not release worthy. And sertainly not to ask 14,95 a month for.

There were hardly any dungeons in the game, no endgame, PVP was non-existend as the PVP system was absent, no market place and crafting not fleshed out as well. The New Player experience was non-existend and the first few levels turned more players away from the game then keeping it.

Basically, the game launched without any longetivity in place. They knew most people would have lost interested within 1 month... or maybe two (the slow levelers).

I guess in the end, Frogster and Acclaim get what they want. A title to mold to their will. Free 2 Play crap with Item Mall.

Cheers

I think Khaeon Studios underestimated the time needed to develop the game and already ran out of money in 2006, the year in which the game should originally have been released. They had big problems finding a good publisher for their game. Probably because they had financial problems. Also the reason for founding the companies Spellborn International Ltd. and Spellborn Works BV. It was then that the choice for a publisher like Frogster was made. A publisher that wanted to release the game in Asia using micro-payments as business model.

--
    Delanor

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Think about their puppies!

Do we know for a fact all these dev's are losing their jobs?

I am curious...

Links will rule of course.

No flaming here, I totally wanted to enjoy this game.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by Slampig

I am curious...

If you read the actual news, you would have known already.

All further development is going to be handled by Frogster's own development studio in Asia.

Don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure out what the concequences are for the dutch developers that were employed under Spellborn Works, wich is now declared bankrupt.

Cheers

• DelanorDelanor Member Posts: 659
    Originally posted by Guillermo197

Originally posted by Slampig

I am curious...

If you read the actual news, you would have known already.

All further development is going to be handled by Frogster's own development studio in Asia.

Don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure out what the concequences are for the dutch developers that were employed under Spellborn Works, wich is now declared bankrupt.

Cheers

Yes, but some developers (maybe all of them) were actually employees of Khaeon Studios that worked for Spellborn Works BV. So it is not sure whether anyone did get fired.

--
    Delanor

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

The thing is....they came SOOO close to having a great game.  But I guess close only counts in a horseshoe game.  IF they could have funded it for another year and IF they would have put the right content in and IF they could have released a fairly polished game with RAIDs and such at end game then things might have turned out differently.  Most players did the trial part of the game and moved on.....

• Matt_UKMatt_UK Member Posts: 420

'Very sad' is when something happens that is beyond the control of most people, was unavoidable even with the effort of most. This was a car crash waiting to happen from launch and Acclaim did nothing to save this game, they let it die. It's not very sad in my opinion that a badly developed and badly promoted game has gone crashing down. Let this be a lesson to lazy developers everywhere, all mmorpgs aren't a pot of cash in the making. I feel sorry for all the people who payed to play this, the Devs who lose their jobs deserve to pay for their poor work.

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203

Knew during beta that this game just wouldn't make it.  It didn't have enough content, and wasn't nearly polished enough.  I remember logging onto the beta servers toward the end of beta and there was barely anyone even testing it.  Good concept, but needed a lot more than a combat gimmick to make it work.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Sheista

Knew during beta that this game just wouldn't make it.  It didn't have enough content, and wasn't nearly polished enough.  I remember logging onto the beta servers toward the end of beta and there was barely anyone even testing it.  Good concept, but needed a lot more than a combat gimmick to make it work.

The reason for that was those of us "testing" getting tired of having to come back month after month for like 4 months at a time just to see if there was a build for us to even test. Low to no communication on the devs part in testing + no client to test for months at a time = we all moved on.

• MetaSevenMetaSeven Member Posts: 20
    Originally posted by Matt_UK

'Very sad' is when something happens that is beyond the control of most people, was unavoidable even with the effort of most. This was a car crash waiting to happen from launch and Acclaim did nothing to save this game, they let it die. It's not very sad in my opinion that a badly developed and badly promoted game has gone crashing down. Let this be a lesson to lazy developers everywhere, all mmorpgs aren't a pot of cash in the making. I feel sorry for all the people who payed to play this, the Devs who lose their jobs deserve to pay for their poor work.

That game got decent reviews.You are entitled to have your super negative opinion, but saying that someone deserves to lose his job is way over the top of what is okay to say.  It wasn't really my cup of tea, but I liked it better than some other recent releases and I have sympathy for indie devs. The game itself had lot of potential and certainly could have its fair share of players. It is very apparent that the people in charge of making the publisher deals totally screwed that up, big time. I would say this was easily the worst launch in the history of MMOs, so horribly wrong that it actually killed the game.

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

I was very excited about this game back when they first announced it.  I remember it was supposed to be released very soon at the time, then got pushed back a few times.  I got into the beta and was not impressed at all.  I had a feeling the game wouldn't be released, or would do poorly.  I give them credit for being original.  The game may have did better if they could have released it on the original date.  It's really a shame, this game had some great ideas.

• MelanaMelana Member Posts: 32

the game is not dead guys!

but if nobody pay for it ...then ir will be dead soon.

so give it a chance and play only 1 month....15$/€ is not much money

when everybody do this there are many players and the devs can add new content next year.

and with the new patch there is much to do for lvl 50...you pimp your char with sigils and cool armors for pvp and maybe for new instances and shards...

• hooptyhoopty Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Zorvan

The reason for that was those of us "testing" getting tired of having to come back month after month for like 4 months at a time just to see if there was a build for us to even test. Low to no communication on the devs part in testing + no client to test for months at a time = we all moved on.

When this game went in to Acclaim hands..I knew it would be over..I wish this game went to a different company besides Acclaim..

Some people rob you at gun point..Others will rob you at "Ball Point Pen"

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member Posts: 1,880
    Originally posted by hoopty

Originally posted by Zorvan

When this game went in to Acclaim hands..I knew it would be over..I wish this game went to a different company besides Acclaim..

acclaim did a good job for the most part. It was not their decision to go item mall with this game. That was the devs who also went bankrupt.

whats wrong with them?

i have no problems with acclaim...they are better than frogster

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Acclaim did a good job with this game?  Are you in denial?  No advertising basically, pathetic excuse for payment options, poor customer support and ocmmunication.  Yeah, they did great.

• hooptyhoopty Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Melana

whats wrong with them?

i have no problems with acclaim...they are better than frogster

When Acclaim Fell back in what 2005 or 2006..Nothing has been right ever since..The only thing they have now is greed and cut backs..It is not that the game failed..It is those who run it...If you dont believe me look at the gaming list, 100s of shit  ass games..And players want to know what is a good mmo game to play..Do i need to say anything more?

I hate to say this..But even AVENTURINE is better than Frogster..

Some people rob you at gun point..Others will rob you at "Ball Point Pen"

Originally posted by Margulis

Acclaim did a good job with this game?  Are you in denial?  No advertising basically, pathetic excuse for payment options, poor customer support and ocmmunication.  Yeah, they did great.

hihi believe me...you would wish you acclaim back if you once see what frogster did with this game.^^

I'm happy that i am at acclaims servers now...they are not the best but much better than my ealier situation at frogster. :/

• nickman1993nickman1993 Member Posts: 287

Another good Game gone...RIP....

Just like FURY was...amazing yet poorly done

• EuphorykEuphoryk Member Posts: 450
    Originally posted by nickman1993

Another good Game gone...RIP....
    Just like FURY was...amazing yet poorly done

Fury was horrible imho, a poorly planned and executed project that was doomed to fail from the very beginning.

I wasted 50 bucks on the game, and frankly I wasn't bothered one bit when it shut down.

TCoS though, is indeed a worthwhile addition to the genre, and it is truly a shame to see it heading down this route, though one could also argue that it too was doomed from the very beginning...